My Love Story!! - Reviews

Alt title: Ore Monogatari!!

Clinginggiant's avatar
Apr 23, 2016

So this is about some non ideally attractive guy getting a cute derp of a girlfriend. Now that's not too bad sounding, well maybe the derpy girlfriend part is. Honestly, I expected to at least be somewhat amused here, but hope was pretty small going in, and eventually I discovered this was just a complete let down after the first 3 episodes. The episodes are all pretty much the same after 3.

Generic romance set up but the twist and what makes it original is that instead of the pretty boy getting the girl, it's his hulking friend. Takeo is used to not getting the girl he likes, who all proclaim their love for his handsome best friend, Sunakawa, just when he's getting around to opening up to them about his feelings. Well not to worry, as here comes little ol' Yamato, who as fate would have it, is interested in big ol' Takeo. After a few miscommunications, they end up together. The story pretty much goes all downhill from here, just repeating the same formula almost every episode. Anyway, since when has rom-com relationships actually worked out so fast and gone on with almost no downs at all to them. Also something convenient (but inconvenient) happens everytime someone is doubting Takeo for good boyfriend material and he's able resolve the problem, putting himself in a good light among his doubters. Like a building mysteriously catches fire and he saves people, or some beam is about to fall on Yamato and here he comes to the rescue with strength far exceeding human limits. Way too random and with no explanation. I thought this was suppose to be a rom-com, not spider-man where danger lurks around every corner of the city.

The story goes nowhere because the characters go nowhere. This was clearly suppose to be driven by its characters, so you would expect them to at least put some effort here. Well they didn't, and hardly anyone other than the main couple gets any screen time and even they lack developement for most of the series. They just seem to be at a constant high with hardly any issues, or at least what issues they have end up being so minor that it only spins them in a circle, going nowhere. Between Takeo making his obnoxious grunting noises, and Yamato just trying too hard to be the cutest thing you ever saw, they only end up coming off as extremely annoying. Takeo's friend, Sunakawa, gets the most screen time after the two leads and acts as Takeo's support, though somehow he is the definition of non developement. He remains an emotionless wall all throughout the anime even though he was given plenty of opportunities to be developed. Since most of the 24 episode run is about Takeo and Yamato's relationship basically repeating the same thing everyday, there should have been enough time to drift attention away from them, and focus on other characters and not just cram it somewhere at the end of the series, like they did. Potentially interesting characters are floating around in this series, such as the guy with the afro, Kurihara, and the funny stalker girl, Amami. It's just as I mentioned earlier, no one cared to explore them more.

The animation is great, It's pretty hard to find a Shoujo with poor animation these days. They all go overkill on the gloss, twinkles, and what-not. Not that it's really to my personal liking, but I'm not going to complain about it. I know what I was in for when I decided to watch a Shoujo, and it's what I expected.

3.5/10 characters
Funkgun's avatar
May 31, 2015

How do you easily grab my interest away from cookie cutter titles? Well, it is not hard. Any title that puts a lumbering, big lipped, buzz cut guy slapped right on the front title promo picture tells me that this title might be worth a look.

Quantifying this anime leaves me hard pressed to find a title that is similar to it. The awkward height proportions of Lovely Complex? The main character who downright scares everyone like Kimi ni Todoke? Or possibly the character who does not know about romance very well like Say, I love you?  All of these would make solid recommendations, yet do not capture the pure sincereness of the romance in My Love Story!!

The story is engaging and simple. Our main male lead, Takeo Goda, is qute possibly the sweetest giant that ever lived. Andre the Giant levels of compassion in a big man. In the show he is unaware that he could ever be looked at romantically over that of his completely opposite friend Makoto Sunakawa. This friend seems to draw in more women than a Chippendales show. Enter a plot device, used for convenience, where Takeo saves a cute gal from a disturbing groper. This starts a chain of events where Rinko starts to bake Goda foods to thank him. Takeo, mistakenly assumes she has interest in Makoto, and brazenly decides to be matchmaker. This changes shortly into the series, but this is a basis for the first 2-3 episodes leading to the awakardness of Rinko and Takeo and their inexperience combinded with the juxtoposition of Takeo's size. it is like a Great Dane in a romance with a Pomeranian. This is not much of a spoiler, because the events of this happen right from the first few episodes.

The title draws upon the cuteness of a romance that is blocked by Goda’s misinformation and lack of comprehension of romantic situations, or the fact that friends sometimes do not think much of their relationship. It paints a believable story that seems to tackle the plight of a guy who is not flowing with a mane of gorgeous hair and a chiseled narrow face with dreamy eyes, nor is he confident to combat the looks department. He is actually an oddly large character who looks awkward in his surroundings. But his heart of gold, and reliabilty of character overcomes his almost gorrilla like looks.

The Animation: This title could have got away with not having much in the way of artistic merit, but instead it excels more than I thought it would. Backgrounds and lighting are well done, movement is crisp and frame rate on par with a higher end TV title. In the first 4 episodes they actually take the time to have the characters in a few different outfits that look smart and on par with what is out now. For a comedy romance, they did themselves justice by making it look nice.

The characters start off with but a few. And the show is at first, Mostly a first person viewpoint title. First person meaning, we only know what is going on in Gouda’s head. But this changes as the  show matures and fleshes out the top three characters of Gouda, Rinko, and Makoto. Each one of them has merits and flaws that make them very human, and belieable. Later characters are introduced and built upon as well, such as the friends on both sides of the relationship.

Sound can only be quantified by the wonderful down to earth acting of Takeo’s voice actor. I looked forward to how many ways and times he could gush about love. Everyone else is also perfectly cast and make the most of a tightly written script.The overall background sound and music do not stand out much. The opening song I found cute a couple times, but have already found myself skipping.

Overall, this is a solid romance that will catch you in the heart quite a  few times like a fish hook. You'll find your self laughing at parts, then in a moment's notice choking up on a thoughtful touching part of the show.

Final thoughts,

Best romance this season, and quite possibly a show that will end it's run in a top list for romance/comedy/slice of life.

Meekish's avatar
Nov 20, 2015

I don't know about anybody else, but sometimes I want to stray away from my usual action filled shounen anime and watch something ooey-gooey and lovey-dovey. My Love Story filled that need SO WELL. But it was NOT your typical romance anime.

First of all, the main male lead is not the typical definition of attractive. Like, usually in anime it's a super attractive male falling in love with a less-than-stellar female, but really the female just needs a little TLC and *gasp* she's stunning. No, the main male character in this anime is just not the standard definition of attractive, no matter how much TLC you give him. Dude is like a gorilla, tbh.

So how does he get this absolutely stunning female? Because he's a gentleman in every possible way. And the best part?! THE MAIN FEMALE LEAD CAN SEE THIS. No 25 episodes of obliviousness before she realized it. They have the CUTEST relationship. And each episode of the anime is a learning experience for both of them in their relationship, since they've both never dated before.

Great, sounds like a feel good anime right? It is.

*Billy Mays voice*

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.

Perhaps the best relationship in this anime isn't even the main one. It's the kick-ass bromance between the main male character and his best friend. They support eachother in so many ways and have the most hilarious moments. Honestly, as cute as the main relationship in the anime is, it's THIS bromance that made me give the anime a 10/10.

The anime is seriously so well made and I'd recommend it to anyone. <3

Nora24Gami's avatar
May 9, 2015

At first I was thinking " yeahh I'm not gonna like this " BUT OMG!  How wrong was I.. usually this isn't my type but I'm so glad I started it ! I actually get buzzed for the next shows aired ..

Yeah the story line is simple but I haven't laughed so hard in ages! It's such a cute anime in my opinion.

It's nice actually for the less attractive guy to get the girl once in a while !

Simply put it is what it says it is .. "My love story"

If you want a bit .. well a lot of "awww" and "so sweet" you should definitely give this a go

♡sSoppyRomance♡

Flint879's avatar
Jan 8, 2016

THE STORY IS: Takeo Gouda is a very intimidating looking giant of a high school student. Not popular with girls at all, but very popular amongst the guys for his strength. All the girls are attracted to Takeo's good looking best friend Sunakawa, but when any girl confesses to him, he turns them down. Takeo & Sunakawa are riding the train one day & end up saving Yamato from a gropper. From there, Yamato has her eyes on Takeo & they start to date.

The story was a nice change of pace from the usual stuff where it's always the popular guy going for the un-popular girl. This time around the hot guy's not so attractive sideline friend takes the stage & tells about his first encounter with love. Although it was refreshing to see something different from the normal romance anime, My Love Story!! left a lot to be desired. Essentially, the whole 24 episode anime focused on Yamato & Takeo's happy love together. Now, this is just a personal opinion, but I longed for some drama, some problems to arise, some snags in the relationship, some sort of struggle, something. Alas, there was none of that. Zip. Zero. Nothing. It was borderline a waste of time to watch this anime. Not to say My Love Story!! didn't have its own charm or any redeeming qualities, but it is pretty boring to watch a romance blossom between two people without problems or any struggles along the way. That's what mostly killed this anime for me. I've watched a good bit of romance animes and, albeit, they aren't necessarily my favorite, but I know one thing that keeps me going are the problems that happen along the way. It was a huge disappointment considering that My Love Story!! was very highly rated for a while & still is. It was nice to take a break from the normal & cliche style romance, but didn't live up to expectations.

CHARACTERS: There was no real growth in them throughout. Whatever you got in the 1st episode was what you got in the 24th episode. Sure, there were points that you saw a possible development with a character, but it was quickly dispersed & never brought up again. There was no change in the characters & I think this was also a major contributing reason as to why I thought it was a borderline waste of time.

OVERALL: I wouldn't recommend My Love Story!! to anyone. It only will hold interest for a few episodes, but then at some point you will start to realize that the characters haven't changed & everything is going smoothly from the romance perspective. I wouldn't waste the time on this anime just because there are better told romance animes. This one just flowed along with no real drama or negativity. It was all just the main characters being happy-go-lucky in love with each other. Skip over this one.