My Hero Academia

Add review
YuiYui's avatar
Jun 27, 2016

Warning this Review May Contain Spoilers-

*Sigh* This series doesn't deserve the amount of hate it gets for being a superhero anime, I just want to say that yeah this is another superhero anime but it is still good, please don't get put off because of the theme as it is really good. And I've also had enough of people saying it's a rip-off of this series or that series, I enjoyed it and I think it is worth it. So this is about a world where everyone has superpowers (known as quirks) but our main character is part of the small percentage that doesn't but still wants to become a hero. He's constantly bullied about it but even so he still powers through everyday in his own way, when he meets his idol and he is given the chance to change is fate (but I won't spoil too much as that is the whole point of the anime).

STORY

The story was good, it had a nice build up and good pacing. I was told that they were going quite slowly (I mean like 1 chapter per episode) but I think for this type of anime it developed well. Another thing about the story is that it is interesting and intriguiding, the idea of superpowers is just something people dream about but here it is put into a story which is well done.

ANIMATION

The animation was good, but obviously it wasn't perfect there were a few scenes where you couldn't see the face of the person speaking at a certain distance or the faces were slightly off, and angles could be seen as weirdly portrayed but all these things were more towards the minor side and honestly not too noticeable.

SOUND

Next is the sound, the opening was great and really catchy and the ending was perfect and I don't think I'll be able to pick one of them as my overall favourtie. The voice acting was also done to a high standard and I haven't got much to complain about here...yep that's it.

CHARACTERS

The characters were all unique and fun but I wish there was more development of the characters (yeah I know there will be a second series but still), this was probably were this show was lacking. Like they got everything else out the way, plot, character introduction and so on but pretty much zero character development for those other than Midoriya (who had a bit of development).

Anyway boom, review for the anime lottery club all done and hope you enjoy it xx

-ANGELBEATSYUI-

Jehowi's avatar
Apr 26, 2016

I'm usually not the kind of person that rants and cries about everything, but after 4 episodes, I just couldn't keep myself together anymore. This is a shameless copy of One-Punch man, trying to cash in on its succes. Unfortunately, it's doing a bad job at it. The characters are even more ridiculous, the art style is worse - but still on a decent level though - and the story is absolute bullsh*t. There, I said the S-word in one of my reviews. Glad that's out of the way. I'm not going to waste any more words on this.

And stay out of the way of this anime. Whether you liked OPM or not, you'll probably dislike it anyway.

Edit: I decided to add something to my review which apparently makes it more 'helpful':

My Hero Academia is amazing! after watching 4 episodes i am in love with the series. It has everything you want in a good anime! It's funny, emotional, epic quality in both sound and animation, awesome fights and a very interesting story...AND IT'S ABOUT HEROES!!

I will tell you right now that if you like one punch man you will love this. Wait scratch that last bit, people don't like it to be compared with OPM.

This is probably going to be one of the best animes this season.

10/10 overall would watch again.

And to end on a more serious note, I'd like to add that mister Roriconfan, the best reviewer on Anime Planet, mentions in his One Punch Man Review that the show is exactly the same as Hero Academia --> http://www.anime-planet.com/users/roriconfan/reviews/21306

Case closed.

sam105's avatar
Jul 10, 2016

this is something which is filling the void of Naruto. A good story, art style and better background music. No more eechi or fan service which is good, so that a bigger audience can enjoy it.

Eiraza's avatar
Dec 13, 2017

So I read reviews about this anime before posting one and I saw lots of other people's comparsion's to One Punch Man and I honestly don't get that vibe at all. There are super heroes and the main character does have an op punch but I mean this series isn't like a gag that I feel like One Punch Man is. One Punch Man is like a comedy while this is something that's supposed to be emotional and heartfelt. Are we going to compare every anime that has heroes and super strength to One Punch Man now? Is that a thing? Hero based stories are gaining popularity and I feel like we should take them at a different face value.

Now for the actual review. I went into this anime really negative, I didn't like the way the art looked and the story appeared to be stupid but I felt like it was overall actually really good. The art grows on you for the most part, its not awful I just feel like its an older style we're not really use to. It honestly reminds me a lot of Kill la Kill sometimes.

The story is good, overused in some parts but I feel like the main character's drive really gives this anime something worth watching. The characters don't really experience a lot of growth (beside's the main one) but there is subtle growth with certain characters and I'm sure with the continuing seasons there will be a lot more to see.

Overall really enjoyed it and am excited to see the rest.

theSentinel's avatar
Jun 18, 2016

watched all episodes so far.  I was very impressed by the character progression.  The humor melds in beautifully rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.  animation is nice, music is fantastic.

went to check the studio behind it. . . of course, its one of my favs.  They always do ok, dem Bones.

I WILL RETURN WITH MORE LATER!!