My Hero Academia 4 - Reviews

Alt title: Boku no Hero Academia 4

RascaI's avatar
Mar 15, 2020

You Say Garbage

My Hero Academia continues its quest to systematically murder the battle-shounen genre in its 4th installment, which promises to be more epic than any that came before it. Can it end its previous seasons' trends of never developing its secondary cast in any meaningful way, making its characters mary sues, never giving enough time to important events, and using one repeated piece of OST to cover for its lack of substance?

Nope.

To elaborate:

The overhaul arc happened. And when it happens, oh boy does it happen with a whimper. It wasn't like the show had built up a reputation for delivering on hyped up characters in any way, starting the trend of squandering all for one last season immediately following beating the first villain of the show in the second episode he showed up in... but nonetheless, it felt like overhaul was going to be different. It felt like he was going to pose a real threat. And the show doesn't put itself out to make you feel like anyone is legitimately threatened except for, ironically, other villains.

This kind of character wouldn't be a problem in seasons 1 or 2. Keep in mind, shounen progression usually deals with this kind of format where the enemies get progressively more and more hyped as they go on, even when the pacing stays consistant and power scaling isn't an issue. But that's what shiguraki's first appearence and stain were for. We're way past the point where villains should posing a real threat to our main characters, and we still haven't seen enough of this beyond the one time somebody killed a dude in season 3.

Deku's trend of beating everybody on the first try sucks for a shounen like this, and it continues all throughout this season. It's horseshit. Every time he needs to, he has a new upgrade to perfectly deal with every new guy that shows up. And somehow it's always just through the virtue of being the most epic perfect guy ever, which I just don't buy.

If the show has to position itself perfectly around a character just to prove how great they are, that makes that character a mary sue. And that's what deku has become. It's asinine, and after 4 seasons I'm just sick of him being treated more importantly than everybody else. He's lost any good will as a protagonist. And his character stays totally stale during season 4.

The season's most egregious sin was once again playing you say run over an "epic" moment to give it that feel, even though the moment they played it over was mundane and empty of personal emotion for the characters involved. Every time they do this I can just picture the director, bashing his head on the table while reading the source material just wondering how he can possibly make this wet fart of a final scene have any impact at all before he has an "eureka" moment and slams it in the "add you say run" cupboard.

The only good parts of this show were the villains besides overhaul. The league of villains feels like the return of the phantom troupe, and is the group I would rather be focusing on, and Gentle Criminale is probably the only character I could see deserving a main character slot in this show, as he's actually more likable than the entire main cast as well as La Brava (but of course the anime sucks deku's dick the entire time he's onscreen regardless). Suneater and Red Riot had good episodes, but they were rare good moments in an otherwise horrible season of anime that I couldn't wait to be over with.

All of the secondary cast besides those are wasted. Everyone besides the main few are treated like sideshow acts, some characters still only get anything to do when there's nothing at stake. The characters were so wasted they even kill them off before we have a chance to care who they are.

The animation was fine despite suffering slide-show disease in a few episodes, and the music, being multiple versions of the same fucking track i've heard a billion times on "inspirational compilations on youtube", sucked balls. Make a new fucking song.

You may notice that the overall score is much lower than the other parts of the score. That's because this show rates a 0 in seasonal improvement, bringing the average down.

If nothing else, MHA 4 proves that the series has no desire to grow or improve, respect its own ideas or characters, actually bother to write real drama, or innovate in any way. And you gotta respect a show that proves itself.

2/10.

NotGiveAShit's avatar
Feb 10, 2020

Great show, great story, great villains, BUT I had enough especially this season. I can't bear anymore cringe from a lot of short flash back to having the MC explained every single things, because they knew the viewer are kids.

The Manga it was made for more mature readers, with a lot of cursing and swearing. But the anime man... I used to like this show a lot but now I can see a lot of flaws coming from it, and I can't bear but notices it.

Flaws contain

1. Slow talking
  2. Slow progression: The anime could have just ended in just 12 ep but they stretch it out more
  3. Too many unnecessary short flash back: "You can become a hero" They show this for so many time that you don't feel motivated anymore. It's like that Naruto swing by the end of the series you've seen it like a million times already.
  4. Explaining to the viewer too much: They explain it to us like we are f-ing dumb or something, this anime pretty much aim toward kids
  5. Slow character development: The MC, he's sucks. I hate Midoriya now. It doesn't took after Hajimete no ippo where the main character train like their life depend on it. But midoriya, no, he sucks

That's all there is to it

In my opinion "It could have been better"

Kouda's avatar
Apr 4, 2020

The last reviews were so negative, that I just had to write something as well.

I really enjoy this show, no matter what season and the way they get you emotionally stirred up so many times is just something that many other anime series struggle with to achieve even once.

The first part you the season was epic as always and I must admit, that the second half starts off slow and more like 'slice of life', but the last two episodes! In my opinion you should never write a review before finishing a show (except if you want to explain why you dropped it). I will just say, that I probably would've rated the anime a little worse as well, if I hadn't watched the show to the end.

woomydeidara's avatar
Apr 17, 2020

Deku is trash. He is always treated like he is so much better than all the other characters (hes not), and whenever there is a new villain he just happens to get a new upgrade or learn a new technique that will make it much easier to beat the villain. He always beats the villain easily and I personally just dont like his character.(also i wish he had a cooler quirk.SUPER STRENGTH??? REALLY??) If you want to watch shounen just watch naruto, its so much better.(except for all the annoying fillers).

Crua9's avatar
Dec 7, 2019

Update:We are currently in the second part of this season. I adjusted by rating from 8.5 to 4. The first part was great. There was a good story, it showed a bit, and it is worth a watch. However, the other half isn't. If you jump to the comments right now, there is even a number of people saying this might be the last MHA season they watch. They spent about 3 or 4 epsoides purely on making some "major" school fesitival. One we never knew about before, never seen, and they didn't even know about. Talk about plot holes mix with a boring time. Oh and they start focusing more on crying kid again.

___________

In short, you shouldn't watch this if you haven't seen the other My Hero Academia. But if you like the previous seasons, then you will like this. If you don't, then I highly doubt you will.

While the story moved forward with this, it follows the exact same formula as prior seasons. Introduce people throughout with their problems, sprinkle in fights, and have a world saving event.

One thing to note is it focuses a lot less on the main person (crying kid) and more on everything. This is actually kinda nice since it builds everyone up about the same rate. However, this has been seen in the prior shows where it focuses on a few others at the same time. So again, it is something we seen in some way before.