My Hero Academia 3

Alt title: Boku no Hero Academia 3

Add review
Kevlarthian's avatar
Oct 1, 2018

(about seasons 1, 2 and 3)

I don't like the shounen genre. It gets very tiresome for me. It's hard to get invested when the superpowered undefeatable villain of the last arc is now easily surpassed by the next class of enemies, to the point where the power climb is absurd, or when the dozens of side characters are brush aside for the "chosen one", or when a single fight takes about 20 episodes of two guys screaming, having flashbacks and taunting each other while their friends watch instead of helping.

My Hero Academia is the exception.

Not only I've devoured episode after episode but I did it more than once, in the company of different friends that were forced to glue their butts to the sofa and watch, to make sure they also witness this glorious anime. None of then regretted.

This is a smart shounen. There's no chosen one - the protagonist is flawed and grows as he learns, along with many other characters who are as important as him. They have clear motivation, they are smart, they build strategies to defeat obstacles. The fantastic elements are limited by rules, so it's easy to understand when something goes beyond the norm even in a world of superheroes. The villains grow along the heroes and they are legitimately menacing. Since its a school setting, power growth is expected, so it feels natural. Also, the arc's challenge is not always a villain to be defeated, so it makes this story of teenagers becoming heroes way more believable.

I recommend this anime - and the manga, that to the point I've read was adapted almost line by line - to anyone. Like action? Watch it. Like character depth and emotional development? Watch it. Like creative superpowers interacting? Watch it. Doesn't like shounen? Watch it. It is a pearl of an anime that deserves your attention.

Woziu's avatar
Aug 7, 2018

Everything in this anime is just perfect. Great story, great characters, great relationships, great everything.

Kirishima4lyfe's avatar
May 16, 2018

Great story! Amazing and downright relatable characters! Best bois! Struggles and character development done right! This anime is a absolute masterpiece! Perfect!

RagingFury's avatar
Jun 19, 2018

Despite the simple and mediocre superowers story, studio Bones managed to make this a phenomenal anime. Everything is suberb from the godlike sountrack, world building, character depth, character developement, story telling, animation and emotions. Studio Bones succeeded in turning a simple superpower, hero vs villans story feel like you are watching Shawshank Redemption. Reccomended watch even to people not into the shonen or superhero genre.

6.5/10 story
PotassiumTea's avatar
Nov 9, 2018

First of all, I'd really like to say that I enjoyed this season, and there was something of value in each episode that I was entertained by.  There was a lot of positive character development in season 3 both between Izuku, Bakugo, and Ochako.  Those three characters, in my opinion, developed the most.  I loved the building upon the foundations that Izuku has been doing, his development is slow but he is improving.  I also enjoyed seeing a different side to Bakugo as the season progressed.  For most of the prior seasons he seemed pretty one dimensional in terms of his emotions, but I was pleased to see him experiencing different emotions and sides of himself. Now, I had a few problems with this season as well.  I have found that the past few seasons have been extremely repetitive in how the arcs take place.  Each episode is fairly similar except for slight changes, but otherwise it can be a bit hard to get through all of them.  Another issue I had with this season, was the fact that a lot of the other characters took a back seat to the major characters.  They got a little bit of screentime, but we don't learn much about them.  I was interested in seeing more of Shouto this season, since they built upon his character so much in the last season, but he seemed to have taken a back seat once again. In all though, this was a great season and it made me excited to see season 4!