My Dress-Up Darling - Reviews

Alt title: Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru

Glennoxi's avatar
Feb 19, 2022

I don't like excessive  fan service. This anime was one of those animes with unnecessary fan service.  I watched just 2 episodes and i saw more than enough for the female character... I was irritated the whole time...i wish they spent all that quality on adapting a better manga with a proper story.. An anime which i wont watch 15 year olds flash their panties ..and kids aspiring to be perverted game characters... I would have enjoyed it a lot more with out the fan service , i thought it had a good story line but i guess that wasn't enough for them, so they filled in the gaps with pointless fan service and dumb scenarios.. Like asking her to sit on his belly to get a good angle for a picture.. Then all of a sudden realises that she's on top of him and has an erection,i just couldn't get my head wrapped around the situation  ,he could have gotten a good angle without asking her to sit on him.. Who does that ? Their excuse was that he got carried away ..i don't mind fan service when it involves adults for example, animes like *bayonetta* i saw a lot of boobs but i wasn't offended i just thought i was watching an anime with a kinky main character... And i thought she was sexy.. But when the anime is about kids ..highschool kids its absolutely  disgusting...in some scenes they would make her boobs glossy, i honestly hated that and i found myself getting offended everytime they had to ruin a scene with the female lead's boobs or panties.. I really didn't like this anime... If you're a proper person with proper taste don't watch this..there's not really much to the plot even though its a cute story...by the way if you don't like this review go write your own and stop bugging me...this is what i thought about *my dress up darling *. We all have different opinions. So deal with it

AustinDR's avatar
Feb 20, 2022

Writing as of Episode 7

Story: It is a pretty basic premise: a loner boy with a fascination for designing Hina dolls, meets a gyaru who wanted him to make her a cosplay outfit of her favorite character from an eroge video game series. Besides that, I really love the interactions between the two main characters, and I find some of the information on clothing and textiles interesting. With both characters being so likable, you'd want them to both succeed in their goals.

As for fanservice. It's definitely there considering the premise, but I'm not really too bothered by it. In fact, the fanservice goes hand in hand with Marin: she is depicted as a free spirit who does not care what others think about her and demonstrates clearly her passion for what she loves. But I also love the show because of how Gojo feels like a fish out of water. You can easily tell he was never exposed to anything like anime or pop culture which makes Marin the perfect outlet for Gojo to see through. For a story about an eccentric girl gradually pulling a boy out of his comfort zone, I think it is purely wholesome.

Characters: The characters are portrayed as being people instead of filled with anime rom-com cliches. Gojo starts off as being awkward and introverted, but there is nothing creepy about it. On the contrary: Gojo is a very endearing character who at first did not want to be despised for his interest in Hina dolls due to some traumatizing experience from his past. Because of Marin, he is able to feel validated in what he loved and open up more. I also commend him for being a true goat when he thought that the deadline for Marin's outfit was coming soon. He can be very determined when he wants to be.

Marin, to be frank, is the main reason I can see why several people watched the anime. Far from being a stereotypically cruel popular girl, she is instead kind and understanding not to mention patient with Gojo even when he tried avoiding her in one episode. She was fascinated by Gojo's hobby rather than creeped out by it and is so contagiously optimistic and preppy, it will rub off on you.

Supporting characters are also pretty good for the most part. I love Gojo's Grandpa and his reactions are hilarious. Sajuna, another cosplayer who is Marin's idol, off the top of my head, I do not like her. She establishes herself as bratty and even resorts to trying to blackmail Gojo in order to get a cosplay outfit off him. Normally in a lot of these shows, what keeps them from being masterpieces to me is when a third wheel is introduced oftentimes to combat with the other potential love interest in a Betty v. Veronica fashion a cliche that is overused and should die in a fire.

Animation: I love the attention to detail when it comes to designing the clothes or gathering the materials needed. The shading is also vibrant and lovely. The only minor nitpick I had come with a frontal view of a character: they have a noticeable black spot in the middle of their face. It is there to represent the tip of the nose, obviously, but it is distracting.

Sound: The opening and ending themes are bops, and everyone does a good job with the material they are given.

Ultimately, if you like anime about cosplaying and cute character interactions, this could be a show for you.

9.5/10 animation
8.5/10 characters
Soru1's avatar
Feb 20, 2022

I quite enjoy this Anime. It hasnt ended yet but so far this is so good. I totally recommend for all those loner ass romance enjoyers or for those who generally enjoyes watching romance either alone or with someone. It has some quite questionable scenes but it doesnt make it bad anime. I really like Mari kitagawa character. Voice actor behind it did really good job and Wakana gojou too. Character design looks pretty formal but it kinda has its unique feeling that makes it special. Definetly recommend!

winterpack's avatar
Apr 22, 2022

It's hard to review this show because everything depends on what point of view you look at it from. For a romantic anime its plot is too simplistic and it doesn't feature any tangible conflicts or any character development. Everything goes as smoothly as in the the fantasy of the basement dwelling weebs who watch it. Hot girl falls in love with you because you did her a favor. Lmao, you wish... For ecchi it doesn't have enough fan service. For a harem anime, there isn't any competition for the male lead. For slice of life, the plot is not lifelike in the slightest.

So what is this show? Can it be redeemed? If you think of it as modarete ecchi it's actually not that bad. The fan service is well embedded in the cosplay excuse story, much more so than in average ecchi anime where fan service is overdone to the point it becomes dull.

I still didn't like it, though.

freshnfruity's avatar
Mar 27, 2022

just finished this so.....

okay so basically it wasnt terrible but there are definitely better romcom/romance anime out there...

i hated the fanservice cuz a lot of fans were being creepy about it and it genuinely made me feel uncomfortable and i feel like half the fandom are pervs but it got better towards the end of the show which is good, also the animation and general cosplaying idea is pretty unique which is pretty nice since so many shows have the same tropes/cliches (not saying that this anime doesnt)

i didnt really enjoy it but thats my opinion and the show as a show deserves a neutral rating that isnt biased and i think 6/10 is fair, but my opinion is more 4-5/10 i just really didnt see what was so great about this and the fandom scares me ngl