Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season - Reviews

Alt title: Mushishi -Next Passage- 2nd Season

toxshock's avatar
Nov 18, 2014

Mushishi Zoku Shou 2 is an episodic series based around Ginko a Mushi Master who must travel the country helping those being affected my Mushi, which are ubiquitous creatures with supernatural powers, but are primitive and ancient. Most humans are unable to see them, but some can be affected in a variety of ways.

In this season we catch a glimpse into Gink's past, see why he wears his hair in front of one of his eyes, why he must keep on the move and how he learnt his skills.

The beauty of this series is the slow paced nature of the story telling and how the feelings of the characters creates the story.

There is good reason why this series remains in the top ten of manga.

Without doubt one of the most beautifully created animes ever made. The attention to detail is everywhere, I can only imagine how long it took create the scenes. In contrast the characters are very basic, made to look ordinary, and I think that this is a huge part of it's charm.

The opening song by Lucy Rose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Rose)  is beautiful, her haunting voice is the perfect introduction to each episode. Again the attention to detail in the sounds of nature are impressive as well as realistic. The voice actors are understated, and I have yet to be irritated by squeeky female actors, which is a personal pet peev.

This is an episodic series, the only re-occuring character is Ginko, and actually until this season, we learn very little about him. That said, that really doesn't matter, each episode is a perfect story within itself. Ginko's character infact is meant to be unassuming, and the characters of each episode take centre stage, without once being over bearing.

Overall

As you can tell I am a huge fan of this show and I was delighted when a new season was announced. Is is not high drama, fast paced, loved up anime. It is Japanese story telling at its best. Enjoy!

annasigneshaw's avatar
May 6, 2016

I've watched all of the seasons of this show, and I've never seen an Anime that flows so well. I literally fall asleep to this show every night. It not only has amazing cinematography, but the storyline is enticing. It's a show that you don't expect action, but you expect beauty. It's seriously one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I compare it to Miyazaki. Beautiful, yet slow running. It's played episode by episode (for the most part) and completely worth your time.

ladysorrow's avatar
Jul 19, 2020

Its a profound anime that is so calming to watch. This goes really deep and makes you think things beyond yourself. It has great themes and its the perfect thing to watch before going to sleep at night.

TheRogueNob's avatar
Jul 14, 2020

mushi shi is certainly worth your time. to be honest most people who look here are already 30 episodes in, you made it this far and I assure you it gets better. BUT if you are new to mushi-shi and your reading this then I highly suggest you watch the entire series.

and here's why

the animation, I said in a previous review that one frame is a work of art and mushi shi nails it every time. The animation and art really help flesh out the world and bring a 1800s Japan come to life.

the sound is some of the best and without it the show looses its mystery but with it creates a world with life nothing is quite and when there is quite there is some of the best music pairing  an anime could ask for.

the characters despite 90% being one offs are some of the best written characters in the business. Really I'm not embellishing this, they have more depth than Almost every shounen/ rom com/ isekai character will every have. These people feel human, the writing and voice acting really excell her.

the story is episodic so it's not really fair to grade the story but to say that 80-90% of the episodes are amazing some will resonate better with others and others will simpler fall flat but overall mushi-shi really is a modern classic and I say everyone should give it a try