Murder Princess - Reviews

Bronia's avatar
Oct 25, 2011

Story: This was an early anime I watched. To be quite honest, the story was solid, however the way it was told would've been vastly improved if there'd been more than 6 episodes. After the finale, I found myself thinking how abrupt it was and how much I wanted to see what happened after, or perhaps a bit more meat in between the beginning and end.

The good thing about it being so short was that there was no filler and the story was anything but slow paced.

Animation: I am no judge of good or bad animation. The movements were smooth and the character designs were memorable (in a good way.) My only problem was that there were moments when blood seemed like it was coming out of a firehose instead of a person.

Sound: The OP was awesome! The ED wasn't memorable. The voice acting I can only judge the dub, but all the actors were great for their roles.

Characters: More could've gone into them. I wish we'd had more time to hear about Falis's childhood or Cecilia's reason for being a Big Bad (although some might argue that was explained fine) They were good characters, however, who all served their purposes to the story well.

Overall: Murder Princess is one of favourite animes, no real reason why. Of course I will always feel that they could've told a bigger story even though the manga doesn't tell a bigger story. Being only 6 episodes it's worth watching for anyone who likes action, but romance is only ever hinted at so hardcore romance fans may want to pass on it.

TeeDeeDubYa's avatar
Jun 30, 2015

Watch this anime at your own risk ;). This has spoilers in it because this anime IS NOT WORTH WATCHING.

I didn't actually check anime planet before watching this. I was in the mood for an ecchi or some boobs so I clicked on this turd. News flash.. This isn't an ecchi.... ;~~~;

--- Story

Somehow, there is a story in this although I think the writers need to go back and read a few manga or watch some other anime to properly implement it. What pisses me off is there really was some cool concepts in this anime and they just failed. I don't know if this anime was cancelled but it certainly deserved to be...

The anime starts out at the speed of light. They introduce three 3 villains, a random army, a castle under siege, a dying king, the army of said kingdom, the princess, her stand in, Frodo's grandpa(the midget advisor), three bounty hunters. All of these people you know nothing about and never will because this anime sucks.

The story centers around them trying to take back that kingdom and cope with fact that the only two hot chicks in this anime switched bodies. That happens in the first episode too mind you...

The princess is the key to lost technology that mankind had created which they eventually used to destroy themselves. So they stuck it away for hundreds of years in a kingdom no one cares about... Including the viewer.

---Sound

I rated this anime so poorly on sound based on the music they CONSTANTLY played throughout it. It was just this generic rock crap... Which is appropriate because of how generic this anime is.

I'll say that the voices matched the characters and the start music wasn't all that bad. It was music during the anime that was terrible. It sounds like some guy had a hard on for 60's rock music and decided to imitate it in a garage.

---Characters

The Characters for the most part... Are just awful. I will admit they do get better closer to the end of it. As you learn a mircoscopic amount more about the characters it's just barely enough to keep me limping on along this beater.

The Murder Princess and the actual princess are the two strongest characters of this master piece. The crappy part is, the murder princess loses her personality, which was about the only reason I was watching this.

There's the two additional bounty hunters. Your first look at these guys is... Wow... Those guys look lame. And you're right, they are. There's the skeleton looking dude who seems to have his head on straight and is typically the voice of reason. I'm pretty sure they put that guy in so they didn't have to draw his mouth moving. There's the second bounty hunter who's retarded and adds almost nothing at all to the anime.

--- Villains

The DR. Is drawn by someone who just got done watching Frankenstein. He plays a minor part in the story and he's almost completely unexplained. You know that he's the bad guy... He's going to do bad things because he's the bad guy. He's actually getting manipulated by a smarter bad guy. Oh, also that he's created additional bad guys who do bad things.

The two robotic girls - Cute girls that compliment each other's personalities. They also play a minor role in the story. They do add a little bit though. Like a pinch of salt relative to a whole field of uncooked potatoes.

The witch - ... I guess there's three hot chicks in this anime. YAY. Well she's intelligent and the one doing the manipulating. Her reasons for trying to destroy the world is lame as balls. Her reasons for killing the Murder Princess's family is just as lame. I did enjoy the twist that she's actually not a witch but a relic from Mankind's bloody past. Pretty cool but they don't go into that too deeply.

The prince - This character is just so bad.. But he does play a role in the anime. I think it's safe to assume that he's being manipulated by the witch but you don't know. I think it's the sword he was using... Pretty sure it was... Not hundred percent on that.

---- The ending

The ending was one of the few redeeming parts about this anime because it kills off almost all of the characters that the writer vomited to life. Seriously though, I thought the ending wasn't that bad.

I don't know why other reviewers said this anime is bloody. It's really not compared to a lot of anime I've seen. There's almost no themes in this that would make an experienced anime watcher's eyebrow raise. The violence, gore, language, and nudity are all very tame.

If you somehow enjoyed this anime then I would recommend Akema Ga Kill!

4.5/10 overall
Najaraja's avatar
Jan 8, 2010

After her father is murdered and her kingdom overthrown, Princess Alita finds herself on the run for her life when she, quite literally runs into the bounty hunter Falis. A bizarre set of circumstances, including a near death experience, the two women wake to find they have switched bodies. With a skilled swords woman trapped in her body, Alita convinces Falis to work for her and take back her rightful throne.

If any of you have ever seen the anime Bastard and you enjoyed it, then you definitely need to check this one out. It is a non-pretentious anime with a female lead who kicks ass (and does it very well) and there isn’t anything much deeper than that. It did not take a lot of convincing for me to watch this. At all.

Down to the nitty gritty, the story is to the point. This is a 6 episode series so it gets right down to it by necessity. However, I found myself wanting more! It is pretty action packed and does not leave much room for pondering the deeper meanings of life (or death, since we’re on that subject). Any hint at a serious, heartfelt moment is whisked away immediately by either death or humor.

Speaking of humor, there is plenty. I mean, the initial bad guys are two little girl robots. Its silliness is surpassed only by its hilarity.

The music is just as kickass as the action. A bit on the metalish side, but it fits well.

Now, to the problem. And it really isn’t as much of a problem as one would think. Murder Princess, in spite of the gushing blood and severed body parts, looks like…well…a cartoon. It lacks any sort of realistic appeal in the character design and backgrounds and while at first I found that the colors were bright and the lines were clean and everything was really pretty, it really kind of takes away from the series as a whole.

Despite its cartoony appearance, I do not recommend Murder Princess for anyone under the age of 16. It is pretty bloody.

Overall, I give Murder Princess an 7/10. Enjoy.

galacticdude7's avatar
Dec 4, 2009

-Story-

The story in Murder Princess was very action packed and kept you on a thrill ride throughout all six episodes. However this thrill ride did have its problems, which I felt that the series needed more episodes to properly explain and portray the plot line given. I was kinda iffy about the whole cross genre aspect of the story, combining elements of fantasy, medeval, Science Fiction, and action. This may have provided a stunning story, but it did get a little too complicated. Supossedly Murder Princess takes place around 600 years after the earth was "Burned to the ground" Which I interpreted to be world war 3. A common theme of the series was that human nature could not properly handle advanced technologies, which I find to be udder bullshit. But if you ignore the major theme and the confussion around the details of the story, It really turns out to be an excellent story.

-Animation-

The animation in this series was pretty good for the main characters, but it was lacking for most of the minor and background characters. The designs for the main cast were decent but with the whole body switching thing, it can seem wierd to be introduced to one character looking one way, and then she changes into a different form, yet she still looks like she reflects her personality, which makes little sense but was probably done for sanity's sake. The background characters looked generic at best and made it feel like a crowd of the same two people over and over again. I really disliked how in some scenes, the background characters are not moving around in a place like a busy street, and it makes them look like cardboard cut outs. The animation overall was average, but at least they focused more on the main characters.

-Sound-

Now I usually dont cover sound in my reviews due to the differences between the dub and sub versions, but I want to make a quick statement about the opening theme music. It was like the group who did the music couldn't decide if they were a rock group or a rap group. You would hear an electric guitar and then hear what sounds to be ghetto Japanese. I did not like the opening theme, but that rarely has any effect on the story itself, so I'm just complaining about it.

-Characters-

Only a couple of the main characters in Murder Princess made any personality shifts, and they were limited to the 2 main girls in the story. This is most likely due to the fact that they dont have much time to develop the characters and they had to jump in and introduce the characters and then get into the action. However it seemed at times that the characters were two dimensional in personality, and they only seemed to have one thing that makes them who they are and what separated them from everyone else. If this series were longer I'd rate the characters lower, but ill forgive them for only having six episodes to work with.

-Conclusion-

Murder Princess is an average Anime. It has a remarkable story, which can be confusing and rushed at times, but still remarkable. The animation was average but scored really low with me on background characters. Overall I'd say its an ok anime, that I would suggest skipping and watching another series which is better, but if you want to watch it, I'd suggest putting it towards the bottom of your watching list.

6.5/10 characters
triplestrike's avatar
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't hate it. Lets start there. Story is okay, (minor spoilers) you've got a pcincess who accidentally switches bodies with a bad ass mercinary, that's the majority of it.

The animation looks good actually but action isn't very long, they spend most of the battles with still frame shots that show someone doing some sort of attack.

I watched this in english and the voices weren't terrible. In fact I really liked Dominikov. Most of the music was guitar riff's and the like. They all fit the setting pretty well.

Characters were pretty cut and dry but to be fair there were only six episodes so they didn't really get the time to grow. Some are pretty awesome but there are some really terrible characters that balance that out.

Overall it was okay, some alright action sometimes, a super bad ass looking knight, and some rock music to accompany it. If you're super bored on netflix and watch to start something you can finish quickly, and want some action, this might be an alright pick.

7.2/10 overall