Mr. Dough and the Egg Princess

Add review
racerclc's avatar
Jun 16, 2019

(No spoilers included.)

During the viewing of this (no dialogue) short film in the Ghibli Museum theater, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. I wasn't expecting this film to be too great, but after watching, it left me ever-so-slightly more satisfied than I originally predicted. The film retained the magical sense that Ghibli does best, while at the same time hosting its own unique personality. The storyline held a charming fantasy (plus some brief action thrown into the mix), and I felt mostly content with the story's ending. However, in my point of view, the characters lacked slightly in terms of character and personality, but this didn't heavily detract from the overall film experience. Also, the story didn't answer every question I had about the characters and the plot, and the story's moral/motive was never clearly defined, but these things were likely done to allow viewers to make their own interpretations about the film.

Despite not being one of Ghibli's best-ever works, if Pandane to Tamago-hime was the first Ghibli film I had ever seen, I wouldn't have been disappointed.