Moriarty the Patriot - Reviews

Alt title: Yuukoku no Moriarty

Grusomhed's avatar
Dec 24, 2020

‘My horror at his crimes was lost in my admiration at his skill.’

These Japanese do love Western detective fiction and, of course, no one would dare to skip the masterpiece of Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle in particular. This is understandable, because Holmes is one of the most popular detective characters in the whole world. After all, there are far too many movie adaptations around the whole world. Unfortunately, many people seem to miss another genius that you can analyze over and over again and find something new about him, someone who is not less charismatic and talented than Holmes himself. Someone who could have been even more of a genius than Holmes, had he not been a villain. Of course, I mean Professor James Moriarty, the ‘Napoleon of the crime world’, a professor of mathematics and the person who gained recognition of Sherlock Holmes.

For some reason, this particular character is often forgotten. And this is something Japanese mangaka decided to fix in 2016 and make a story about the youngest professor of Durham University (Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography), a brilliant mathematician and a criminal, William James Moriarty. No, this is not a mistake. Rather, Conan Doyle himself was mistaken, (and, most likely, he simply did not think of it) when he gave the two Moriarty brothers the same name.

‘Watson does, however, refer to the name of another family member when he writes of ‘the recent letters in which Colonel James Moriarty defends the memory of his brother’. In ‘The Adventure of the Empty House’ (1903), Holmes refers to Moriarty on one occasion as ‘Professor James Moriarty’. This is the only time Moriarty is given a first name, and oddly, it is the same as that of his purported brother. In the 1914 novel The Valley of Fear (written after the preceding two stories, but set earlier), Holmes says of Professor Moriarty: ‘He is unmarried. His younger brother is a station master in the west of England.’ In Sherlock Holmes: A Drama in Four Acts, an 1899 stage play of which Doyle was a co-author, he is named Professor Robert Moriarty.’

What is the point of quoting the book, if we are talking about the anime adaptation? But the anime was created only thanks to the masterpiece of Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle, which means that facts like the name of the main character should be taken into account. So what do we have? Three Moriarty brothers, who are united by one name - James. How can you tell them apart? Make ‘James’ a middle name. This is how Albert James Moriarty, William James Moriarty and younger brother - Lewis James Moriarty appear.

‘The end of the century before last, the British Empire rules the world, and the class system is the heart of this system. And then suddenly James Moriarty appears - a young man who wants to destroy the evil arising from class discrimination and create an ideal country, where there will be no place for oppression and your social status will be nothing, an empty sound.’ Moriarty the Patriot offers a new look at the world of Conan Doyle (the story is made in such a way that ‘A Study in Scarlet’ and ‘A Scandal in Bohemia’ are only small parts of Moriarty's big plan), and the unsightly side of the aristocracy that treats ordinary people like cattle or wild animals, which is why, while watching the anime, you can involuntarily begin to agree with the protagonist’s worldview, who does not even deny that he is ‘evil’. However, is evil done in the name of good truly evil? If this is evil, then who decided it? Maybe this was decided by the evil itself, which must be destroyed. Those who have read Conan Doyle will encounter many familiar names in the anime. Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, Colonel Sebastian Moran, Fred Porlock, etc… and the best girl, Mrs. Hudson.

Overall
I am disappointed. But I do not want to share my criticism(salt) with you and I think that the mangaka and the people responsible for the anime adaptation could have made a much better research; there are far too many flaws that are beyond obvious. But I forgive you, Japan. Though, you could have followed Yukimura Makoto example and made a better research. Anyways, this was, indeed, a very unusual watch and I would highly recommend to each and every anime fan to give it a try. No question about it, there are flaws, but there is something enjoyable about this anime adaptation.

RobbyN's avatar
Nov 29, 2020

I gonna make this short. It isn't your usual sherlock holms story told over and over. This time it puts it main antagonist on spotlight. So far im only 5 episodes in but I got to be honest i'm so glad I gave this anime a chance. It is so far one of my favorites. It does a good job in showing why Moriarty became a what he best known for a criminal mastermind.

7.5/10 characters
DragonKestrel's avatar
Dec 13, 2020

Based on the fictional characters and work by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Moriarty the Patriot is a brilliant and fascinating premise for a show centered around criminal investigation. The plot centers around two different view points with the story being focused around the 1880's to 1914's England. The first being Moriarty aka James Moriarty, an expert criminal mastermind and crime lord, who likes to bring corporal punishment to those who ask for his help. He often works alongside his brothers to solve crimes and cases by the request of his clients and subordinates. Moriarty is shown to be ruthless and cunning through his acts and has been famously described by Sherlock as the "Napoleon of Crime". Moriarty serves as the antagonist and archenemy of Sherlock Holmes throughout the story. The other side being focused on Sherlock Holmes, a private detective known throughout the world by his acts of solving crimes to the smallest details and often works with his assistant and friend, John Watson. Together, they plan to stop Moriarty's crimes and mischief throughout England before all hell breaks loose.

Overall, a really entertaining crime solving series that leads you to expect the unexpected, realizing the smallest details by going beyond thinking about solving crimes, and a classic series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

DrakeParker's avatar
Feb 2, 2021

This new take on Arthur Conan Doyle's detective series doesn't focus on Sherlock and Watson like most adaptions. This series however focuses on the origin and history of Prof. James Moriarty. From living in Poverty to getting adopted by nobles we see firsthand how James Moriarty became the "Napoleon of crime."

All crimes that take place are against nobles who all deserve punishment from killing commoners like The Most Dangerous Game to Refusing a child medical treatment everyone who encountered James for his services got what they wanted: Revenge.

When we finally get to the penultimate moment of meeting Sherlock from then on it was all gloves are off. The final 3-4 episodes were so well done and suspenseful that you wouldn't even know what's going on.

Fionka's avatar
Feb 4, 2021

Rezultat iskanja slik za moriarty the patriot anime gifI had high expectations before wathing this anime because I really enjoy anything Sherlock Holmes related. Mistery, historical places, differences between social classes, murders, all other deaths, badass genious Moriarty (a criminal mastermind? I don't even care).. So many great elements which contributed to this anime which became one of my favourites. I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE 2ND SEASON!

*And the animation design was beautiful, just as beautiful and handsome as the characters teehee