Moriarty the Patriot - Reviews

Alt title: Yuukoku no Moriarty

DragonKestrel's avatar
Dec 13, 2020

Based on the fictional characters and work by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Moriarty the Patriot is a brilliant and fascinating premise for a show centered around criminal investigation. The plot centers around two different view points with the story being focused around the 1880's to 1914's England. The first being Moriarty aka James Moriarty, an expert criminal mastermind and crime lord, who likes to bring corporal punishment to those who ask for his help. He often works alongside his brothers to solve crimes and cases by the request of his clients and subordinates. Moriarty is shown to be ruthless and cunning through his acts and has been famously described by Sherlock as the "Napoleon of Crime". Moriarty serves as the antagonist and archenemy of Sherlock Holmes throughout the story. The other side being focused on Sherlock Holmes, a private detective known throughout the world by his acts of solving crimes to the smallest details and often works with his assistant and friend, John Watson. Together, they plan to stop Moriarty's crimes and mischief throughout England before all hell breaks loose.

Overall, a really entertaining crime solving series that leads you to expect the unexpected, realizing the smallest details by going beyond thinking about solving crimes, and a classic series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

RobbyN's avatar
Nov 29, 2020

I'm gonna make this short. It isn't your usual sherlock holms story told over and over. This time it puts it main antagonist on spotlight. So far im only 5 episodes in but I got to be honest i'm so glad I gave this anime a chance. It is so far one of my favorites. It does a good job in showing how Moriarty became what he's best known for.. a criminal mastermind.

7.5/10 characters
Fionka's avatar
Feb 4, 2021

Rezultat iskanja slik za moriarty the patriot anime gifI had high expectations before wathing this anime because I really enjoy anything Sherlock Holmes related. Mistery, historical places, differences between social classes, murders, all other deaths, badass genious Moriarty (a criminal mastermind? I don't even care).. So many great elements which contributed to this anime which became one of my favourites. I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE 2ND SEASON!

*And the animation design was beautiful, just as beautiful and handsome as the characters teehee

DrakeParker's avatar
Feb 2, 2021

This new take on Arthur Conan Doyle's detective series doesn't focus on Sherlock and Watson like most adaptions. This series however focuses on the origin and history of Prof. James Moriarty. From living in Poverty to getting adopted by nobles we see firsthand how James Moriarty became the "Napoleon of crime."

All crimes that take place are against nobles who all deserve punishment from killing commoners like The Most Dangerous Game to Refusing a child medical treatment everyone who encountered James for his services got what they wanted: Revenge.

When we finally get to the penultimate moment of meeting Sherlock from then on it was all gloves are off. The final 3-4 episodes were so well done and suspenseful that you wouldn't even know what's going on.

poky07's avatar
Dec 14, 2020

Well hello there! I'm an individual who has read the manga of this and was highly looking forward to the anime adaption of this show!

So I'm going to start this off with the fact that I did not go blind to this anime and cannot speak on how good it is going in that way. Firstly, several things are skipped from the manga, and some things were added. To avoid spoilers I will not go into them deeply. The 1st episode itself is filler and actually a rather decent one at that. The main thing that was disappointing is that they skipped the first scene from the manga. Unfortunate as they replaced it with one I was not fond of.

Secondly, THE EXPRESSIONS. The manga itself had various amazing expressions and the anime actually improves on it. Some aren't as intense as the original, but the coloration and utilization of eyes in this series is amazing. Intense scenes have characters' eyes glow making you feel like you are seeing into their soul. From an animation standpoint too the scenes look good and any CGI is not super obvious unless you look deeper. Overall a great job and some scenes are just phenomenally gorgeous.

Lastly, we go to the story. I, personally, love it. The rivalries are great. Characters are interesting and deep and morality is always dubious within. There are some pacing issues with the anime, but overall they weren't super bad.

It's sad this series is being slept on so if you are reading this please give it a try! It's well worth a watch or read