Monster Girl Doctor - Reviews

Alt title: Monster Musume no Oisha-san

kilrazan's avatar
Mar 5, 2021

An obvious comparison to make is with Monster Musume. This show is markedly different, though, enough such that I'd say the only similarity is simply having Monster Girls in a Harem. It's less "Let's make a discount Monster Musume" and more "Let's make a generic ecchi/harem anime, but add in some knock-off Monster Musume character tropes".

Story: Not much to go with here, really. It's almost a slice-of-life anime in that regard. All but the last 3 or so episodes are a self-contained story about the MC encountering the Monster Girl of the week, discovering that she has some mysterious ailment that she refuses to get checked, and convincing her to allow him to examine her in a totally-innocent-but-feels-really-ecchi way. Monster Girl is cured, and showers MC in praise and vague romantic hints that he completely ignores because he's that kind of Harem protag. Eventually the story culminates in his hardest treatment ever where he has to call on the aid and skills of all of the other Monster Girls he's cured along the way to help him cure the loli dragon, and the story ends with them all fighting over him. 4/10; better than some Harem, but still sub-par as far as stories go.

Animation: Hit-and-miss, really. There's some really beautiful moments with well-drawn characters and amazing color palletes. And then there's moments where there's some really mediocre CG or just generally bland animation. It's obvious most of the budget went to the ecchi 'exam' scenes. 6/10; above average, but a far cry from high-quality

Sound: Pretty decent. It has a nice upbeat, if generic, OST, and the Voice Acting is quite good. The opening is in that awkward sweet spot where it's good enough to listen to every episode instead of just skipping, but the song is forgettable enough that you won't have it stuck in your head. 7/10; a good example of the mantra that "if you did it right, nobody will notice you did anything" - there's nothing that stands out here as notably good or bad.

Characters: A really mixed bag. In isolation, each of the characters feels really well designed and thought out, with interesting visual design and believeable character motivations. But there's two major downsides once you take them out of isolation. As an ensemble, they clash, both visually and story-wise. It feels like different writers each created these girls without talking to each other and just stapled them into the same story together without making them have similar art styles or compatible personalities. Characters that have to interact with each other just do the things because the plot says to, not because they feel like they'd actually work together. Furthermore, taking the scope beyond the anime itself, it's pretty clear that a lot of the designs were a case of "Sure you can copy my homework, just change it enough that it doesn't look like it". You have the blond horse lady that's all noble and proper but secretly wants to get married. You have the spider girl that likes stirring up trouble because she has a bleak backstory. You have the hardcore pseudo-military-girl Zombie. I could go on. 5/10; I do really like some of the designs and motivations on display here, but it's hard to take them seriously when they don't really mesh with each other and they seem to be obvious "that character from another show, but different!" rip offs.

Overall: A middle-of-the-road Harem anime that's worth watching if you like wholesome ecchi scenes and/or Monster Girls, but entirely skippable if you're looking for something out of the ordinary. This is absolutely your bog standard Harem-but-kind-of-wholesome show, just with a Monster Girl pastiche laid out over it. 6/10; Not at all upset to have watched it, but likely going to forget it within a month or two.

HoneyHam's avatar
Dec 4, 2020

No spoilers- This anime follows a young Dr. Glenn, a human who specializes in treating monster folks, of which live integrated in human society. Together with his Lamnia assistant Saphentite they help treat monsters in different communities, establishing Dr. Glenn's practice as a physician. The plot is enjoyable but nothing groundbreaking, with the ending closing the anime well. I enjoyed the monsters' designs and wish we could have seen more of them throughout the series.

However, I think this anime would have benefited greatly by choosing one genre and sticking to it. It was essentially a slice of life anime but with heavy ecchi vibes, however the animation did not reflect its ecchi characteristics.With the way it was animated it felt like the anime was trying not to be ecchi, making a lot of the scenes awkward and unenjoyable to watch. Because of this disconnect I feel like the anime fell short with both slice of life and ecchi viewers. That's not to say it was a bad anime, it just felt weird to watch because I didn't quite know what I was supposed to expect and get from it.

As a whole, the anime was a light but very mediocre watch.

Mrukliwy's avatar
Aug 21, 2020

First of all I'm a Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou fan, and this Anime is Crap. And to recommend this if You liked the other one is just BS. Everything about it seems forced and boring. The examination, the romance, the harem part, storylike all of this is plain and without fun. The Doctor is like a Zombie, the Lamia Assistant is shallow (not even 1 simple emotion, just tail wrapping).

I guess the Examination parts are supposed to be somewhat Ecchi, but they feel more like awkward - zombie doctor, the Lamia trying hard to be proffesional and the Patient  moans. Mixed up it's just 'Eeee.... That's it?'

The Story - who cares about the story if the characters are so boring?

Beside character design (subjectiv, but these characters are simply ugly), Animation and Audio looks like an honest low budget Anime.

All together it's a huge let down, instead of a funny romantic (harem) comedy it's like an antiseptic gauze - it's supposed to have everything you wanted it to have, but in the end it's a boring bandage for your needs.

<h1> </h1>

Gozza's avatar
Oct 26, 2020

When monster girls get sick, what do you do? That's right, you call Doctor Glenn! The only human male doctor in the world who is capable of treating any disease or bodily discomfort that would affect monster girls. Accompanied by his slithering and rather jealous assistant Saphentite, the two travel from city to city, touch as many monster girls' hearts (and boobs) out there as possible.

Let's be honest here, it's not that great of a show. A girl gets sick, doctor Glenn sticks his fingers in the patient for a few awkward moans, the patient get better, falls in love with doctor Glenn due to his gentle touch and doctor Glenn continues his journey to find the next really sick monster girl. That's really it.

KathyKatz's avatar
Oct 1, 2020

Monster girl doctor. The show that I thought was going to be a copy of Monster Musume, but surprisingly it wasn't...Weird..

But now to the review.

First, let's start with the plot of this show. The actual plot.

STORY

Monster Girl Doctor screenshot

What I tend to look for the most in anime is a compelling story. Something that will make me care about what's going on and interested in the world that the author is showing the viewer.

Monster Girl Doctor does attempt to show that. The story has its setting at a city where monsters and humans finally coexist together without being at each other's throats.  There is a bit of background about there being a war for territory until eventually the war was over and they decided to live with one another.  The monsters while some of them looking like something out of Monster Musume, the anime explores the medical aspect to them, such as how a mermaid changes to using her lungs while she's in the surface and using her gills when she's swimming, the flammable organs of a dragon, among other things.

There is some world-building to it, but since this is an ecchi, fanservice is also included.

ANIMATION

The character design is okay, it doesn't look terrible. The animation, I could say it's average to say the least. The colors looked a bit bland at times and nothing really stood out. There was also some different animation used in the monster girls' bodies that looked like CG which fused them into a weird  2D and 3D character. You could see these kind of things whenever Saphentite, Tisalia, Aranya and Illy were on screen.  There might be more characters that suffered from this that I didn't notice, and I might be nitpicking on this last part, but it stood out to much to me for me to simply shrug it off.

SOUND

The OP is an energetic up-lifiting song that may not stand out to most people. Personally, I liked it. It is not exactly a bop, but I don't think it's forgettable either. It's just nice in its own regard. Nothing more to it, really.  On the other hand, the ED is a piano song that is up-lifting in a way, but not as much as the OP. The approach taken with the ED was quite nice since it focused on the relationship between our two main characters that I wished the show had explored more, but I will talk more about that in our own regard.

The score is made for the setting of the anime, a fantasy medieval setting. While it is no genius composition, the music manages to make the world believable, which is a good point in my book.

CHARACTERS

Now to the second most important thing that I look for in an anime, characters. Characters are what make or break the story. IF the characters are boring, no amazing plot will be able to save it. So how good are the characters of Monster Girl Doctor? Well...let's dive in to that, shall we?

First, let's start with our lead character, Glenn Litbeit

This guy...he's nice. Excessively nice. I can't remember if they ever mentioned his age, but I believe he was 17. Don't quote me on this, I might be confusing him with another character. But Glenn, is the doctor and protagonist of the show. Considering this is both anime and an ecchi, you would expect Glenn to have an 'eccentric' personality. The most 'eccentric' about Glenn is that if he's focused on helping one of his patients no otherworldy force can get his attention. The world might be falling apart, but Glenn won't even bat an eye to it.

Being such a nice guy and a doctor, he's got monster girls all over him. They try to make advances on him, and guess what he does? Does he get flustered and act like a typical harem protagonist? Well, not exactly. Since he's so nice, he can't just get upset, but that does not mean that he leads them on either. It's not that type of show, after all.

The guy remains completely cool in face of all their advances. The leader of this town even shows him her naked body and he's completely unamused.  Must be hard to be a doctor when every women you help ends up falling for you.

Then, we have our second lead, Saphentite Neikes

Saphentite NEIKES screenshot

Glenn's asistant and self-proclaimed lover, or at least she wishes she was.  This girl is head-over-heels for Glenn and she shows it. Quite often, I may add, it almost seems as if Glenn is playing dumb on purpose. She is hard-working and always helps Glenn when she doesn't think that he's over-stepping his limits as a doctor. She gets jealous quite often, because the show plays her by having Glenn take care of several monster girls which 80% of them end up being infatuated by how he does his job, apparently.

There is a backstory between her and Glenn, but unfortunately we only got to see small snips of it. I honestly wish that we saw what made her fall so hard in love with him. Since the ED kind of talks about it, I was hoping that the show would explore it more, but that was some false hope.

Now for the secondary characters we have, Arachnia

Arahnia Taranterra ARACHNIDA

Saphentite's best friend that is selfish to an extreme regard. If Saphentite has something, she must also having it. She has a selfishness that is beyond normal. She also forms part of the club of wanting Glenn, but her reasons are as shallow as wanting him only because Saphentite has feelings for him. It surprises me how Saphentite had remained friends with her for this long. Her character does change slightly later in the story, she does become a bit more likeable.

Kunai Zendou

A 'flesh' golem that is responsible for Skadi's protection. She is over-protective to a fault and has an adversion towards doctors due to  well...just look at her design. Take a guess at what happened for her to be created.  Yep, that's exatly why.  She is a secondary character, so there really isn't much to mention about her character other than her being a bodyguard.

Lulala Heine

A mermaid  that lives in poverty and sings at the canals in order to get a living, After becoming ill, she ends up being helped by Glenn, for whom surprisingly she ends up not developing feelings for.  Shocking.

Skadi Dragenfelt

The whole issue with this character is a spoiler for the later part of the show, so I won't go into details about her.  All I can mention is that she is leader of the town that Kunai protects and that apparently can not speak for herself without Kunai having to serve as her translator.

Tisalia Scythia

A centaur with a responsibility to her name, preserving the family line. And you know what's needed for that, right? Yep, you guessed it. Be lucky that this isn't Peter Grill. After being helped by Glenn, the predictable happens and she sets her sights on the aloof doctor, which means she will do whatever it takes to get on the doctor's good side.

These are the characters that have the most importance in the show, and while they may work for the setting, that's all I can really say about them.

CONCLUSION

Overall, Monster Girl Doctor is an okay anime. It went over the low expectations that I had for it, but it wasn't exactly an anime that I will sing its praises either. This show will probably live in the memory of the viewer for a couple months before fading into oblivion.

7.3/10 sound