Mind Game

Add review
vivafruit's avatar
Jul 2, 2007

A reviewer on AniDB has labeled this as an "identity" anime – namely, a Neon Genesis Evangelion/FLCL/Honey and Clover-styled work where the protagonist discovers himself as the story progresses. There is some truth to this; indeed, by the end of the movie the main character, Nishi, has transformed from a wimpy, whiny and worthless urchin of a human being into a fully developed and oddly admirable man. However, the movie is much more than a mere self-centered search for inner meaning.

Mind Game, more than anything else, is a wondrous tribute to life. The film is about making emotional connections with those around you, taking risks to achieve the things in life that you want, throwing away unnecessary distractions like material wealth, and embracing necessities like love and friendship. In short, this is not a movie about passively looking inward; it is a movie about actively propelling outward.

Granted, telling an audience to "live life to its fullest" is nothing new. You can hear this same obnoxiously vague, air-filled sentiment everywhere: from self-help books to bad romance anime, from far-out new age mantra to country songs about waffles.

Mind Game is amazing, however, for how stubbornly and wonderfully the film embraces this message. There is a sort of brilliance to the entire affair, an untainted vivacity that shows humans joyously living life in the most hopeless of circumstances. The events in the movie are far from realistic, but no anime Ive seen this year is truer to life.

By now, I should have raised a few eyebrows over how a movie could possibly be this positive without being a complete cheez-fest. If this review is all you’ve read about the movie, you’re no doubt imagining some sort of hokey romance/slice-of-life hybrid, perhaps involving a generic Keitarou clone in love with a girl afflicted with some sort of rare, incurable disease. Of course, this couldn’t be farther from the truth.

In fact, Mind Game is a decidedly bawdy, fragmented and bizarre movie. There is lewd humor thats just absolutely side-splitting, extremely violent action scenes, and moments of oddly heartfelt drama. Much like FLCL, the movie defies any sort of conventional label whatsoever. This is not romance, or adventure, or slice of life, or comedy, or dementia, or action. Mind Game is all of these, and at the same time it is more.

To try to summarize something so frenetic and psychedelic would be to almost automatically fail to do it justice, but I will say that the movie involves three people embarking on a fantastical journey of the body, spirit and mind. On this trip, the experiences they have and the insights they gain are worth more than... more than everything, really.

This narrative is in stark contrast to other experimental anime, which seem to gravitate towards much more negative material. While other shows focus on themes like the bestial and cruel aspects of human nature (Jin-Roh, Berserk), society’s crippling addiction to technology (Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze), or the futility of life in general (Boogiepop Phantom, Gunslinger Girl), Mind Game’s storyline is refreshingly upbeat.

Many will probably question the way the movie begins and ends. In both cases, there is a stream of unrelated images that flash by the audience in a blur. The images from the beginning are shown again over the course of the film, but the images at the end are completely new. Although I’m not sure, my interpretation is that these sequences reflect the tendency of the human mind to remember life not as a linear progression, but as a collection of snapshots that highlight the events that it finds important.

The overwhelming buoyancy of the film is brought about largely because of the animation, which is absolutely phenomenal. Everything in the visuals is wonderfully expressive, and is a large part of why the decidedly disjointed story actually works.

At the beginning, the visuals are purposefully muted. As the characters engage in their tiresome daily routines, the world they inhabit is made dreary to match. One of the most interesting techniques that the movie does at this stage is to paste on ugly looking real life photos onto the characters (Kare Kano did something similar at the end of its show). Not a lot of people are going to consciously catch this, but this helps reinforce the fact that these characters are “typical” human beings – mundane, closed-minded, and soulless.

However, as they recognize the value of their own lives and of each other, the animation lights up as well. The live action photos stop appearing, the colors begin to brighten and the action becomes much more frenetic and surreal. All of this culminates in some of the most stunningly beautiful isolated scenes to ever be animated. I’m not exaggerating.

As a whole, the animation is very clearly a labor of love. When I usually think of a well-animated show, I imagine disciplined artisans flawlessly executing their craft. While watching Mind Game, however, I could only think of a passionate artist free to do whatever the hell he wants and enjoying every second of it. Something in the freeform style just flat out exceeds anything that mere technical excellence could ever hope to achieve.

The soundtrack is used mainly to accentuate the particularly bizarre and surreal segments, but it does this well. The music covers a wide range of genres, but manages to oddly fit in every case. Voice acting and sound effects are both competently done. In particular, I was impressed at how the main character’s seiyuu somehow managed to pull off sounding whiny and pathetic without ever becoming annoying.

At the beginning of the show, all of the characters are fairly drab and unlikeable. They are victims of habit, trapped in the arbitrary boundaries of their own personal reality.

Fortunately, as we see these individuals flower into self-aware human beings, all of this changes. By the end, their complete transformation borders on inspirational, and all of them are completely loveable.

As outlandish and eccentric as each of them become, the characters somehow feel more "real" than some of the most "normal" characters elsewhere in anime. When we watch these people striving to accomplish their hopes and dreams, something about their core nature makes caring for the them inevitable.

Overall

I realize this review is extremely long, and that most people are only going to skim through the thing before moving on. Fortunately, to those people, there’s only one thing that they really need to get out of this review:

WATCH

MIND GAME

NOW.

8.5/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
Ebonyslayer's avatar
May 4, 2019

I think after I saw Yuasa's work with Devilman Crybaby, I became a lot more interested with the guy's work. Even with a limited budget, the things that guy can animate for this movie are amazing. I won't lie though, this movie felt more like a mind trip than a mind game.

Story- The story for the most part, is about Nishi comes into his own identity throughout the length of the movie. The movie doesn't truly pick up until the main character happens to die unexpectedly. Then the story only happens to get crazier from there. When the characters get trapped in a whale, I instantly got Pinochio vibes. This of course while extrordinary also happens to be another trial for the protagonist, which also has to be one of the biggest animation sequences in the movie. From there the movie wraps up with a bang more or less you could say.

Animation- This movie tries a lot of different animation techniques, some that worked and some that didn't. But I think one of the bigger themes behind this movie is the fact that Yuasa really wanted to show his love for animation. I mean this guy directed, wrote, and animated this movie all on his own. That's gotta earn some form of an award.

Sound- There was definitely a lot of sound that was involved with the animation, and the Japanese voice actors did a pretty good job for the most part.

Characters- I think the characters were pretty well written. There are probably a lot of people who can relate to Nishi who have may have the same faliures and outlook on life. But he also shows that even in the face of life's challenges, we can still find a way to live without regret.

Overall- I think this movie offers some of the coolest animations that you don't see a lot of in other productions, plus this is the perfect movie to recommend to fans of Yuasa, if they haven't seen it yet. Or the perfect change of pace if you want to see something different. Mind Game without a doubt will leave an impression on its viewers.

skankfish's avatar
Oct 21, 2010

Demograph: 18+

Story 9.1/10

A collection of barely likeable characters made even more ugly by the capricious use of random animation techniques. An innappropriate use of Matsumoto Taiyou-esque designs in a flat, out-of-place world of disconnected and hardly appropriate thoughts.

Like it's soundtrack; a jazzy, infuriated rush through a dreamland of improvised gamery. A voidless explosion of creativity, unbound by rational thought and sequence. Enacted and enjoyed on a whim. A  dream. A game. A mental jongleur.

In the end a frantic but successful grasp at the unrealistic.

Like the parent on the carosel, the dick clasped between the legs, reality calmly waits at the sideline for the party to finish and the cast to rap themselves up. And it does so in a gracious yet pumpingly real pinacle which makes us remember our lives as like dust on the breeze; and to forget the 'gravity' of our vices. We will continue in a beautiful rythm until... it's over.

So many metonyms and so much hidden meaning, though never cleverly enacted, produce a satisfying feeling. Perhaps it just makes us feel clever, even, at the same time as feeling completely irrelevant. Maybe that was it. Whatever it was, I liked it whilst not really liking it at all.

It had what many in this genre don't which is a firm grasp on reality, and for that we have to thank it; for bringing us down a notch.

Animation 6/10

Sometimes inspiring, sometimes abnoxious. The worst parts of Trapeze and the best of Tekkon Kinkreet. Intense but lacklustre. Vivid but pathetic. But fitting.

Sound 9/10

Warm and colourful. Jazzy, sound, again fitting. Good voice actors and well mixed.

Characters 7/10

Shallow but representative.

Overall 8.9/10

An expression of relentless hope engulfed in a terrifying seran-wrap of understandable insanity.

9.1/10 story
8.9/10 overall
iiT3CK's avatar
May 30, 2013

Warning - Contains Spoilers

Me after 10 Minutes of Mindgame...

You know what? I'm not even gonna bother trying to explain the story, instead i'll explain what I did for the 20 minutes following watching Mindgame.

1. Stare at blank screen for 5 minutes in complete silence

2. Open my piss-warm beer

3. Consume said beer

4. Light Ciggarette

5. Open another beer

6. Blame Mindgame for my sudden interest in alcohol

Seriously guys, if I filmed myself for an hour and a half, got high on acid, and played naked twisted with rabid badgers it would make more sense than this movie. How did this manage to get so much praise I have no idea. Heres basically what happens...

1.Guy loves girls

2.Guy gets shot in the asshole and dies (Literally)

3.Guy gets revived by god (who is a smoking fish/cheetah/bowling ball/etc.)

4.Guy kills the guy who just killed him

5.Guy runs from Yakuza with girl, and gets eaten by a whale

6.Guy lives in said whale for weeks with girl and 2 randoms

7. Guy gets out of whale, and the movie ends where it started

I couldn't make gold like this up... They even had the nerve to tell you "this story never ends". Fuck that. I hate open ended videos. way to kick me while im down, Mindgame.

While i'll say the story is interesting to a point, that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. The only thing making this animation unique in the slightest is how ridiculously random it is. I'm truly trying to be as objective as possible, but the plot truly doesnt have a lot of substance to it. It's just bizzare.

Animation:

Let's face it, the only reason your even watching this animation is because of the crazy animations. I gave it a generous 7.5, and that's only because of originality and uniqueness. The animation in general looks like it was taken from an autistic 3rd graders coloring book. Can I get a witness? Don't get me wrong the animation is cool, in a really, really weird way. But, that doesn't make it good by any means. I will give it props for having a badass car chase scene though.

Sound:

to be fair, the soundtrack wasn't bad at all. But I can hardly remeber any of the music at all because the ridiculous animation completly distorts any effect the music would normally have.

The characters blew my mind in this show. We got guys running at 120 miles per hour: but thats no big deal. Im living inside of a whale: lets have a bondage rave party. God's a smoking fish thing? Seems normal. Like character interactions with the enviornment were baffling, and yes I do understand that given how bizzare the movie is it makes sense in a way. Still though, no matter what happened, it was just another average day for them. Not to mention the charcter development happens unbelievably fast. Like all the characters become completly different people in a matter of 3 minutes. Are main charcter is a badass all of the sudden with super human driving abilities and cognitive reasoning, meanwhile everyone else isn't even the slightest bit worried there car is driving sideways... or into an ocean. Keep in mind, they were just pissing themselves in the previous scene cause a guy had a gun. The characters were just ridiculous, honestly.

Overall:

This film did have one positive note, it reminded me why I quit doing drugs. Seriously, I keep imagining those pictures with the eggs in the frying pan "this is your brain... this is your brain after watching Mindgame". The actual film itself is just strange, and is best served with tylenol and Jack Daniels. But I will give it credit for being unique. For whatever that's worth.

~Phantom

7.5/10 animation
6.8/10 overall
eaper's avatar
Mar 9, 2010

Mind Game is a movie that is almost as unique as possible. The story, the animation, and the characters are all constantly shifting, which gives it its uniqueness. The message, that strength of mind can create an infinite number of possibilities, is portrayed in a true mindf*ck fashion, often leaving the viewer wondering what actually just happened. After getting past the shock of the continual changes in animation style and the awes from realizing what just happened, the story actually starts to make sense (mostly, anyways), and it delivers in a meaningful way. The rapid changes in characters seems to flow, the lessons they learn seem to make sense, and the message they convey seems natural. If you are feeling down about your life, watch this and it will make you feel like you can change it. A good watch, if you can stomach a bit of mindf*ck.