Mieruko-chan - Reviews

kilrazan's avatar
Dec 23, 2021

A cute, but forgettable little slice-of-life about a girl who suddenly is able to see evil spirits, and has to pretend she doesn't notice them so they don't bother her. It has an interesting premise that works in a lot of ways, but unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Story - We follow our Main Character through a series of short occurences wherein she is faced with a scary spirit that she must try to ignore. Accompanied by her oblivious best friend, they visit various places such as an abandoned shrine, a fortune-teller shop, and an old parking-garage-esuqe building. Being slice-of-life, it's fairly innocuous with the plot development and generally just tells a bunch of micro-arc stories. I'm not necessarily one to complain about slice-of-life formats, but this one felt really out of place for the premise. Every episode felt like it was trying desperately to hint at a grander narrative, but ultimately failed to develop anything meaningful beyond the Substitute Teacher's story. The story of her sudden spiritual awakening ultimately never gets a conlcusion, as the show ends with everything basically the same as when it started, just with a little bit of character development added on top. 3/10; Too slow for my tastes, and it needed a greater sense of overarching narrative to do the premise justice.

Animation - The depiction of the evil spirits was incredible. Some amazing work went into making them truly disturbing, yet also visually appealing from an effects standpoint. The rest of the show is pretty standard fare for slice-of-life animation, although I will say Passione seemed to put a little more effort into the occasional... ecchi scenes - which, in my view, were completely out of place (and they slowly dropped off as the show went on, for whatever reason). 6/10; Nothing super special, but I can't think of anything in particular to complain about either.

Sound - The Opening song is pretty catchy and unique, which I really appreciated. The eerie background music during scenes with spirits was also beautifully unnerving. The rest of the OST was decent enough, if forgettable. I appreciated the Voice Acting talent on display here as well. 7/10; Overall the best category for the show.

Characters - It's hard to pinpoint what makes these characters seem kind of flat to me. They have great character concepts, and in any given scene I certainly feel that the characters are sticking true to their personality and motives... they just feel kind of like they were flanderized right out of the gate. Like, the Best-Friend character is a sweetheart and does really cute things, but at every turn she just keeps parroting that she's hungry and wants more sweet bread. The Main Character does show a little growth over the course of the show, which is appreciated, but it's largely just in that she becomes more capable of ignoring the evil spirits. Really the character that shows the most growth is the Substitute Teacher, which is weird since he's only a major character in the last 3-4 episodes. 5/10; Suitable for slice-of-life, but nothing impressive at all.

Overall - This is a show with a lot of really adorable moments, a lot of tense horror moments, and a handful of weird ecchi scenes strung together by a loose plot. If you're the sort that love a slow slice-of-life that doesn't really go anywhere and want to mix that up with some horror, this is definitely the show for you. For my part, I don't really think Horror and Slice-of-Life mix very well, and ultimately I'm not a super big fan of this show. I enjoyed many parts of it, and I don't think it's *bad*, I just didn't really find myself looking forward to the new episode every week like I do most other shows. 6/10; Good enough that I wanted to finish it and that I enjoyed many moments, but ultimately forgettable.

LeMadeleine's avatar
Dec 21, 2021

It's tagged as ecchi, which was an aspect I really wasn't feeling at the start because it was so weird considering the concept of the story. I think the producers realized that because it became way better a few episodes in! It actually has a continous plot which I honestly weren't expecting! I was thinking they were just gonna do stand alone episodes as new adventures. It ended way too abruptly though for my taste, even considering if there's a second season coming. You would have no idea that the show is ending until the actual last episode, where they just immediately started wrapping things up without actual closure?? I wish there would've been maybe 2 more episodes or so. Overall, very much enjoyed it and I can't wait/hope for more!!

6.9/10 overall
KeegonMiller's avatar
Nov 9, 2021

I don't write many reviews but this particular anime is amazing!! Once you get to episode 4 if your heart doesn't drop to your stomach and you don't shed a tear then I question your Humanity. I have rarely seen such great detail in anime. This has the perfect amount of ecchi, mixed with horror, and the stories that leave me laughing on every episode by the end. In short, if you haven't already started this anime please give this anime a try it's highly recommended.

9.9/10 overall
AustinDR's avatar
Nov 15, 2021

We interrupt this program to bring you...Miko the Scaredy Cat Girl, starring Miko, the Scaredy Cat Girl! Cursed with the ability to see ghosts, she tries to ignore them while living her normal life with her best friend Hana, and her rival, Yulia! But creepy spirits fester her town. It's up to Miko to ignore them all!

Mieruko-chan is a horror-comedy anime featuring Miko Yotsuya, a young teenage girl who goes about her daily activities, except she kind of has a tiny problem. That is if seeing horrifying ghosts amounts to being a small problem. For whatever reason, Miko is able to see ghosts, yet ignores them. But, in truth, Miko is scared silly due to her predicament, but if she wants to avoid the consequences of her acknowledging the ghosts, she has to suck it up.

For the first few episodes, we do get a formula: Miko sees a scary ghost; sometimes scary ghosts would go after her friend Hana so she tries to pretend to not see the ghost. As more characters are introduced into the anime, we get more of the basic ingredients for the plot of the show. With this episodic flow, the show can get predictable as a result of the premise.

But, starting from episode 6, there comes a drastic change in the formula of the show which can potentially build towards big lore drops. For instance, we have yet to hear an explanation of how Miko was cursed with seeing ghosts, and what prominence this has over professional mediums. In short, the first few episodes do fall short because of the predictability, but episode 6 onwards does have the potential to improve on the world-building.

What also works for the show is that, while it is a horror-comedy, it is also surprisingly emotional and heartwarming. Believe me, I watched the show not expecting to be hit with the feels train. These moments are not contrived and feel genuinely earned and heartfelt my favorite one being the ending showing what happened with the scarred man and his pet cat.

The animation. It isn't necessarily visually eye-opening, but it befits the tone of the show. Of course, there are elements of it like fanservice often coming from lingering shots of Miko's legs or Hana's chest, but it does it in a balanced way where it is not distracting.

While the normal world is more or less bland/mundane, what makes it are the designs of the ghosts. The ghosts are truly terrifying and potentially mind-shattering to look like. They move in inhuman actions much like reanimated corpses; they are shrouded in darkness, and sometimes they even emit insidious fumes. Looking at the manga, it looks like they took a book out of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark movie by translating the illustrations over to the big screen. It should come as no wonder why Miko tries to ignore them at all costs.

As for the characters: Miko. Poor, poor, poor Miko. She does not deserve to suffer like this and sometimes, I am often compelled to give her a pat on the back and tell her that everything's okay. Yet at the same time, it is amusing to see her being scared. Just really cute whenever she is. Yet despite her fears, there are moments where she has to swallow her fears and put her foot down if it comes to possible danger Hana might face, or helping the ghosts in some way.

Hana. She is really the best friend that anyone would want. She is very loving and compassionate, and she has your back. With her, her immediate characteristic is that she is always hungry and she scarfs down several sweets frequently despite never gaining weight from them. Starting around the halfway mark of the anime, she is getting targeted by spirits as it turns out because of the excessive aura she projects. To think about it, imagine ghosts dropping tiny ghosts on a barbie and you'd get why ghosts single Hana out.

Our tritagonist is Yulia. She already appeared in earlier episodes and for the most part quietly observed Miko. As it would turn out, much like Miko, Yulia can see ghosts...but she is unable to see the larger and more potentially dangerous variants.

Yulia is a complicated character for me. I like her Gothic aesthetic and character design, and it is intriguing to have someone else being able to see ghosts except with one key difference. At the same time, Yulia can also be annoying and self-absorbed with believing that she is the big cheese when it comes to her medium abilities despite not being able to exorcise ghosts herself.

When she starts to suspect Miko as also having "the gift," she becomes the "rival" of Miko and completely misinterprets her actions as her trying to show off her skills when it is painfully obvious that she had her all wrong. This came to be after she locks Miko in the ballroom which led to the most memorable part of the episode where Miko chokeholds Yulia in order to protect her. While she is egotistical, it is explained briefly via flashback that she was bullied for her claims over clairvoyance. So it makes sense that she would want to believe that she was not alone. Hopefully, Miko will come around to clear up these misunderstandings.

For other characters, we have the Godmother of Downtown who is a fortune-teller with actual psychic abilities despite having the looks and attitude of a scammer but is willing to help Miko. Miko's parents appear and they are depicted as being your typical good parents to their children. But Miko's Dad's role in the story is such a huge twist, it makes you reevaluate what you had witnessed.

And then there's Miko's little brother Kyousuke who, for all intended purposes, is more or less the man of the house. He is introduced as being suspicious of the oddities happening with his sister and wants to protect her. He is a good boi.

With that, I'd say that Mieruko-chan is worth looking into. While it starts off formulaic, it shifts into high gear due to the one decision that Miko makes that could lead to more reveals down the line. Even then, I would also recommend it largely because of the designs of the ghosts.

7.5/10 story
9.8/10 animation
8.5/10 characters
8.7/10 overall
TheRogueNob's avatar
Dec 20, 2021

well this was a pleasant suprise, honestly was not expecting much from mieruko-chan but when the after the second epsiode i was definetly interested. solid animation good music fun characters and a suprisingly good story create this from left field show. that being said its not scary so dont expect horror and if your not enjoying it by the third epsiode then drop it. im going to do a quick spoiler free review.

first the animation,  solid animation where there really isnt need for one, alos the ghosts look great not part of the world but just unique enough to be eerie

now the sound is solid as well but nothing special

the characters were for the most part were good and fun to watch despite the annoying tropes that trickled in every now and then.

the story is where it gets good, the end of the first acr was a real suprise and it only gets better the only real negative for the entire show is that i wish it was a bit longer and fleshed out which makes me want a seocnd season

wrapping it up, itll be a fun divergence from the typicall shounen, or romance shows that most of us watch and leaves me wanting a 2nd season which was unexpceted. for those who read thanks for the read and dont look at the ghosts!