Mekakucity Actors - Reviews

sinfulGurotesque's avatar
Feb 6, 2015

I can see how some people would have difficulty understanding the plot behind this anime without watching the video series it was based off - the Kagerou Project. Though adaptations are never perfect, this one revolved around the assumption that the viewer had already seen the Kagepro videos. So, to one who hasn't seen them, the plot advances too quickly and has a few holes, and to those who have, it's missing a lot of content.

That was my main issue behind Mekaku City Actors; it didn't tell all the stories behind the characters, and some don't even get their story at all. For example, while it did stress that there was a repeating day, it never details important events of that day; this includes one of my personal favorite videos, Kagerou Days. It does tell of a single loop that lead to the death of Hiyori, it fails to show the following loops where Hibiya dies in her place.

Additionally, a lot of character insight that is provided in the videos is absent in the anime.

While it was still nice to watch, I think more time should've been put into its development.

OtakuYoshida's avatar
Aug 22, 2014

To be honest, this anime was great but at some parts during the anime i didnt know what was going on because each episode would just jump to a new character. I also thought that this anime would of been even better if they made the anime longer (1-24 episodes) it seemed like the anime was more rushed. The characters, Animation, voice actors and storyline were perfect a total 10/10 but again its a little confusing when jumping from place to place in every episode.

Precotonejde's avatar
Dec 19, 2014

Maybe all the Kagerou project fans will kill me for this, but first of all, I would like to say, that I did one big mistake and that was that I've seen the anime Mekakucity Actors first, not knowing that anime is not the only one sharing the "Mekakucity-Dan" plot.
You have to know that there is something called Kagerou project, what is a Vocaloid songs and music videos series and also a manga that follows the same plot called Kagerou Days

Well, to be honest, it is not actually that bad, I have to say that I was able to enjoy it. It has a very interesting and unique STORY, that revolves around the group of teenagers with very unusual eye-powers called Mekakucity Dan.
In each episode you will meet a new character of the story who will kind of explain previous events.
What is really important, during each episode you will be asking yourself something like: "What the hell is happening here?!" - Yes, adaptation of the story in anime is really confusing and especially in the end you won't know why and what is really happening.

To the ANIMATION, well.. If you've seen Bakemonogatari and witnessed its artstyle, you know exactly how this will look like, although not as weird as in Bakemonogatari. I can not trully explain it, it's weird and mysterious, not very detailed, enviroment and non-story characters are in most of the times just one-colored, odd standing poses and neck turns (don't try it, you'll break your neck)...

SOUND was pretty good, voice acting suited the characters, OSTs are original "Kagerou project" songs, so they are wonderful and good to listen.

CHARACTERS were great, I loved the interaction between them.  Every character was somehow special and interesting, Mekakucity Dan alone was a group of (I think) 9 totally different people, so it was really fun to see them interact with each other.

OVERALL: Mekakucity actors has a really great story and it's a shame that anime messed it up. So as I said at the begining, anime is not so bad, but if you are aiming for the story and don't want to be totally confused, I recommend you to read the manga - Mekakucity Days - rather than to watch the anime.

AnimeEmma99's avatar
Jul 23, 2014

I like to make my review short, sweet, and down to the point. If you want to know about the plot of this anime -- read what anime-planet wrote. (I say it's not the best).

Animation: Not the most detailed in the world but I did like it that way. I feel like the style of the art gives the anime its own characteristic. Staying within the area of mystery. A big YES was the angles the we saw from -- really great.

Sound: Decent. I liked it. Nothing special.

Characters: We got to dig deep within the back stories of everyone but I still feel confused. But honestly I think that was the anime's goal. I really LOVED how each character's background was unique to them and how intresting it really was.

Overall: This was the first anime I watched where I asked myself multiple times "What the hell is going on?!". Even after the last episode finished I kinda just sat there letting it all seep in.

So, if your looking for an insane, slightly confusing, intresting, mystery with a dash of supernatural.

Watch this now.

7.8/10 overall
reinhart's avatar
Nov 20, 2014

Was a great anime with great ways of progressing the story with unique views from multiple characters. A little confused at times but led up to a great final episode with an amazing ending to the series.

8.5/10 sound