Mei and the Baby Cat Bus - Reviews

Alt title: Mei to Koneko Bus

sothis's avatar
Jun 27, 2011

For all of you reading this wondering how you can watch it as well, I have some bad news - this movie is a short film shown only at the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, Japan. When you visit the museum, they give you a pass to see whatever short film is playing on that day, and the films rotate every few months.

I happened to see this movie not once, but twice, the two times I visited the museum (YEARS apart). I wish I had seen another film the second time I visited, but that being said, it's a truly fantastic movie.

In the fantastical tale, Mei meets up with a baby Catbus that she can actually fit in, and the two embark on a grand adventure, meeting up with various other types of cat vehicles (including a train, an ancient plane, etc). The animation is stunning as always and based on what I remember about the music, it's delightful and appropriate.

If Ghibli ever releases these shorts to the public, I strongly suggest a watch. It's all the best elements of Totoro (the Catbus, Totoro, etc) distilled into a short film. ^_^

Theta's avatar
Sep 25, 2011

While Mei-chan is playing in the backyard one day, she befriends a baby neko-bus with a piece of caramel.  The Konekobus repays the favour that night by taking Mei to a clandestine meeting of forest spirits.  Things get scary when the Konekobus disappears like the Chesire Cat, but it's not long before Totoro shows up and new friends are made.

It's a shame Studio Ghibli never released this original short, because it should be required watching for anyone whom enjoyed My Neighbour Totoro.  Obviously there's not much story to develop in 15 minutes, but Mei To Konekubasu delivers more Totoro, more forest spirits, and lots more Nekobus.  Unfortuneately this can only be seen in the Ghibli museum in Mitaka, Japan.

RyaGem's avatar
Apr 21, 2024

Mei and the Kittenbus: A Short and Sweet Ghibli Delight

"Mei and the Kittenbus" is a charming 13-minute short film produced by Studio Ghibli. While brief, it delivers a delightful adventure perfect for fans of Hayao Miyazaki's signature style and the heartwarming world of "My Neighbor Totoro."

A Familiar World Seen Through New Eyes

The short serves as a sweet companion piece to "My Neighbor Totoro," taking place in the same fantastical world. We revisit the world through the eyes of Mei, Satsuki's energetic younger sister, who remains captivated by the wonders of nature and the presence of magical creatures.

A Whimsical Adventure with the Kittenbus

One windy day, Mei encounters a whirlwind that transforms into the adorable Kittenbus, a smaller version of the iconic Catbus from "My Neighbor Totoro." This chance encounter sparks a magical night-time adventure as Mei boards the Kittenbus and journeys through a moonlit forest filled with fantastical sights.

A Celebration of Childhood Wonder

The film captures the essence of childhood wonder with its use of vibrant colors and whimsical imagery. Seeing the world through Mei's curious eyes reignites the sense of magic and possibility that often fades with age. The animation style is classic Ghibli, with beautiful hand-drawn visuals and a focus on natural landscapes that create a sense of serene beauty.

A Brief Encounter That Leaves You Wanting More

While the short film's charm is undeniable, its brevity leaves viewers wanting more. The story is simple, focusing on the joy of the adventure itself rather than complex plotlines or character development. This might leave some viewers wishing for a longer exploration of the fantastical world and the endearing Kittenbus.

In Conclusion

"Mei and the Kittenbus" is a delightful and visually stunning short film that serves as a charming companion piece to "My Neighbor Totoro." While the story is brief and plot is light, it delivers a heartwarming adventure filled with childhood wonder and classic Ghibli magic. Perfect for fans of the studio and anyone seeking a quick escape into a world of whimsy. Just be prepared to be left wanting more!