Mai-Otome - Reviews

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Aug 14, 2012

Notice: I don’t write reviews for sequels and this case is no exception. My Otome is NOT the sequel of My Hime but an alternative universe. You know, like the Gundam franchise. All similarities between them are not circumstantial but more like slight alterations of the same idea (yes, like the Gundam franchise). At the same time it would help to have watched Hime or read my review about it, prior to watching Otome or reading this one. I mean, why shouldn’t you?

Animation is done by studio Sunrise, which means there will be cool robots, mosters and explosions. Directed by Ohara Masakazu who also made The Girl who Leapt through Time, and Accel World. Hardly a talented individual.

In my Hime review I described it as an otaku fan catering dark fairy tale. This new version on the other hand is actually a light fairy tale; the amount of gore, death, and insanity went down, while moeshitz went up. It almost feels like a normal sequel in this regard, only it ain’t; IT IS AN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE! But still, the core concept is the the same; some girls with monsters and superpowers are fighting for the salvation of the world from some cosmic horror.
… And if you believed that even for five seconds then you deserve a Ricky Roll video. IT’S ALL ABOUT THE CUTE GIRLS YOU FOOLS, WHO CARES ABOUT THE STORY!

As before, you are only supposed to allow your emotions being constantly manipulated by the looks of cute girls, overblown drama, and improbable resolutions just to have a happy ending. Only thing, it doesn’t try to shock you as the first series did; which was also the reason it had such a huge fan base (once upon a time). You see, Hime was happy-go-luck in the first half, school life and yuri romance with some battles with Pokemons here and there. In the second half it turned into a death tournament where THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (queue for some Queen music in the background). Well Otome doesn’t try to do that; to the most part it is all about fluffy feeling. It does try to build tension in the last third by introducing a world threat again, yet it hardly feels exciting. It plays out in a very cliché manner and the death toll is close to zero, so you are simply not made to care.

What is even more disappointing is the setting itself. In this version it is a lot more techno-magical and it seemed at first like they would offer an insight to the ancient civilization that created all those weird artifacts in the first series. Yet it didn’t, it was left as nothing but background decoration instead of fleshing out the world and providing immersion to the finer details of the franchise. It all looks fine and mesmerizing with its high production values, when it goes to waste since it has nothing to do with the actual plot.

But let’s suppose for a minute that a viewer will not care about minor details such as a good story and focuses more on what really matters in this show. THE CUTE GIRLS! Lots of them! Date-sim and waifu material. Won’t that be enough to be content? No, it won’t. The girls are practically the same from the first series, with slightly different roles. And since there is a lot less death and insanity in this version, they are left as nothing but dried up stereotypes, like in so many similar shows. Heck, even the character roster is considerably shorter and their interaction more basic and unchanged to the most part. Why should you care?

This anime shot itself to the foot by refusing to evolve and instead devolved to pure mediocrity. Just like your average sequel does, only this is not a sequel. Whatever, I didn’t like it. The first wasn’t anything super either outside its superficial shock factor but at least you were given something more other than fan catering. This doesn’t do that. It’s worthless.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 7/10
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 2/2

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 3/4, Sound Effects 2/3

STORY SECTION: 3/10
Analysis: Premise 2/2, Pacing 1/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 0/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10
Analysis: Presence 2/2, Personality 2/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 0/2

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Art 0/1, Sound 0/2, Story 0/3, Characters 1/4

VERDICT: 4/10

Uriel1988's avatar
Feb 9, 2010

My-Otome is nothing less than a total disaster as far as I'm concerned. This semi-sequel to 'Mai-Hime' is one of many anime-shows that tries to combine many different genres such as comedy, action and drama; but it is a colossal failure in every way imaginable.

The basic story is, like many aspects of the show, incredibly derivative. It's the tale of a young girl named Arika Yumemiya who wants to enter a highly prestigious school called Garderobe where girls are trained to become an Otome, unbelievably powerful warriors who serve as vanguards of a country's militia. It is through a series of bafflingly outrageous coincidences that our young heroine manages to enroll at the normally way out-of-her-league academy and from then on, the story kicks off.

Doesn't sound very original, does it? Well the rest of the plot is every bit as standard: Arika manages to make friends at Hogs- *cough*, I mean 'Garderobe' after a somewhat rough start, she is quickly confronted with all kinds of shady characters, ancient conspiracies are unveiled, hidden lineages are discovered, friends become enemies, enemies become friends and there may also be a love-triangle or two to complicate things along the way. Textbook definition of 'cookie-cutter'.

A complete lack of originality can be compensated for by an outstanding execution; but Mai-Otome falls flat in that area. Main offender is the atrocious plotting. Plot-points and characters are introduced only to get put on hold until several episodes later if not dropped entirely, characters 'die' only to turn up (relatively) unscathed later, things happen for no logical reason other than that they're supposed to happen for the plot to move in the direction the creators envisioned (a character even remarks in one of the later episodes that the way some previous events transpired doesn't make any sense) and well-meaning side characters hold back crucial information that may be of great help to the clueless protagonists only to have said protagonists befall some grave misfortune that could have been prevented if they had been better informed.

And this doesn't just happen once or twice. The series is LOADED with moments like this. Pretty much any scene scene that isn't filled with incredibly cheesy fanservice humor (a particular plot-device essentially serves as a setup for countless scenes of ecchi-humor involving girl-on-girl 'action') or third-rate soap-opera level angst about love and/or the duties and burdens of an Otome from some of the protagonists is how I just described.

It's clear by now that the story didn't keep me watching this; so maybe the action-sequences were able to offer some redeeming value? Sadly they weren't. The fight-scenes are incredibly unimaginative and poorly animated, most of them ending with an Otome obliterating an opponent with her strongest attack. And all of that is assuming that fight scenes do occur on-screen. I say this because the series is filled to the brim with moments where two characters are set up to fight, only to switch to other events just as the fight starts. All of this makes for a viewing-experience that is frustrating at worst and unfulfilling at most, even for the biggest of action-junkies.

Production-values are nothing to write home about. The art and animation are unremarkable at best though I will give the series credit for the catchy opening-tune as well as the fact that the many characters are all easy to distinguish from one another (even if a lot of them are recycled from Mai-Hime). Oh, and some of the attacks have effects that look pretty cool.

Between the awful story and largely unremarkable production-values there's really no reason I to check out this series. Even those who were fond of its predecessor, Mai-Hime (which I found to be entertaining though highly flawed), will find little to love. The new characters are nothing special, the action is less frequent and less impressive despite being much bigger in scope and the returning characters (even though they're actually 'alternate reality' versions) don't develop or contribute to the plot in any meaningful way. There's even one particular character whose personality and abilities are a complete 180 from the way she was in Mai-Hime and several who seem to be thrown in just so fans can point them out.

I could go on and on about the abysmal plotting (like how the main character is defeated by a powerful foe only to get launched to another dimension where she just so happens to meet a powerful figure mentioned earlier in the story who can help her get stronger), the paper-thin and highly archetypical characters (you KNOW there's a problem when the most interesting characters are ones that mostly got their characterization from the previous series), the constant skipping out on action-sequences and the complete lack of any creative ambition whatsoever; but I think I have already made my point very clear so I'll just wrap it up.

Whether you're a fan of Mai-Hime or are just looking for a fun-packed action-adventure series, Mai-Otome is a totally derivative, awfully written, largely unfulfilling and completely frustrating series that reeks of being conceived for no other purpose other than to make a quick buck. It's not worth your time. Skip it.

Kaijo's avatar
Sep 18, 2010

Mai Otome is the not-quite-but-maybe sequel to Mai Hime. I say that, because it seems much like an AU, but with vague hints that it's connected somehow to the former series (watch and decide for yourself).

It takes place far into the future, on the world of Earl, which has been colonized previously by Earth. 300 years after, the peace of the world is ensured by Otome; super-powered females who serve as bodyguard servants to royalty and high-ranking officials. Each Otome is bound to a person, and when either loses their life, the other will, too. It's a fairly brilliant way to ensure the peace, as any leader who goes to war literally risks their own life, since 1 Otome can easily decimate a normal army. Garderobe is the school that trains Otome, being neutral in the affairs of other countries, who meet at the school he other countries all meet there to decide things related to the school (such as how many otome each country could possess).

Now enter Arika Yumimeya, who wants to enroll in the school because she believes her mother was an Otome and wants to find her. Arika's story, and the grander political backdrop, will intertwine in a fairly well-done plot that doesn't pull any punches. In addition to death (some characters you might get attached to will die), there is another aspect explored; you see, the nanomachines that make up an Otome's power, are vulnerable to a Prostate-Specific Antigen, and if an Otome gets it in her system via sex with a male, the nanomachines dissolve and her body builds an immunity to them, making her unable to receive the nanomachines ever again.

This aspect is explored several ways, as various girls(and guys) much choose between love and duty, with some opting for female/female relationships. And the prospect of rape to remove an Otome's powers is addressed as well; like I said before, it doesn't pull any punches. That said, there may be a few things that might squick you out, depending on what kind of person you are, as one character does develop a "daddy complex." They aren't blood related, however.

Animation:

The weakest category due to not quite enough battle sequences, but what they do have is fairly decent. There are no blatant flaws, and in particular I found much amused in the animation of Arika's pigtails who almost seem like characters in their own right (at least in the more comedic instances).The rest is fairly standard fare, but it does its job well. The Otome transformation sequences where they put on their robe (armor) is fairly short, so even if some is reused, it doesn't feel overdone. While we're on the topic of robes, I do like that the vast majority of their robe armor is practical and functional. It looks nice, and doesn't really play to fanservice much but seems more practical in nature; even things like ribbons and bows serve multiple combat functions.

Sound:

There are various themes that really enhance the moods, particularly the haunting female chanting that happens during the more emotional moments; you really have to see for yourself. The operatic chant, almost latin in nature, that happens when most Otome transform or go into battle, is quite a refreshing break from normal magical girl fare, really driving home the point that these are majestic adults going into battle, and they're about to kick some ass.

This is what really sold it for me. While the anime starts out light-hearted and almost comedic, the drama that begins to ramp up and challenge the characters, really defines them. From Arika's naivte regarding Otome, to Nina struggling to reconcile her dreams of being an Otome, versus her feelings for her adoptive father. The most memorable one, though, I thought, was Mashiro. Starting her journey as a spoiled princess(yes, you might want to bitch slap her a few times), she faces harsh trials later on that really mature her as a character, bringing her into her own and making her understand what it means to be a queen. The layered manipulations and betrayal against the political backdrop of differing ideals on what it takes to maintain peace will give you pause, making you wonder just who is right.

Overall:

Mai Otome brings back several similar themes from Mai Hime. Primarily, the multiple factions tugging from various angles, the idea of love/important persons, with the "magical" girls trapped in the middle (I say that in quotes, since their powers seem to be more technological in nature in this one). The humor is improved, and the series never feels the initial slow-pace that seemed to turn many off Mai Hime. Mai Otome adds a larger political feel, however. While the series can be watched as a stand-alone apart from Mai Hime, those who have watched the earlier show will catch a lot of references that will aid understanding.

So regardless of whether you have watched Mai Hime or not, Mai Otome is worth a look. I do reccomend watching Mai Hime first so you can catch the references, and it is a good series in its own right, but Mai Otome can stand as its own adventure. Humor, drama, tragedy, betrayal, interspersed with many heartwarming moments await those who venture within. It's also one of those series that you'll want to watch more than once to truly catch everything, as a lot of earlier things make more sense once you understand the later context.

TheTacticianMusician's avatar
Feb 1, 2014

(87.07%) WHAT MADE ME THINK IT WAS BETTER?: (DRAFT)

"My-Otome" (which does not translate to anything special, although Otome does refer to a specific type of video game intended for female audiences where one of the main goals is to develop relationships with male and sometimes even female characters) is a spin-off series of "My-HiME", not a sequel. Very much like A Certain Scientific Railgun is to A Certain Magical Index. It has most of the same character designs and voices of the respective characters of "My-HiME", while giving each a completely new backstory and with some, new personalities. Asside from the character designs and the fact that it's within the same genres as "My-HiME", the two shows couldn't be any more different. After watching it the second time, I guess I didn't realize how much was really wrong with it, so I bumped it down from being higher on the top ten than "My-HiME", to much lower. After watching it for the third time, I noticed a lot more nitpicks that were pretty significant enough to completely knock it off the top 10. But let's stop all the prep talk and actually get into it.

(39.15%) STORY: (8.7/10)

"My-Otome" takes place possibly thousands of years into the distant future. So far, in fact, that technology that we would consider modern is considered ancient technology. In this world exists women with special powers called Otome. The powers work similar to Freezing. Girls are implanted with nanomachines in order to utilize an Otome Robe, which is the Otomes' source of power. Each Otome also has a single pierced ear with some kind of gemstone. In order for the Otome to utilize their robes, they must form a contract with a Master (yep, we're getting into slavery). Once the contract is formed, the Master must authorize the usage of the Otome's robe. To do so, the Master usually says something like "I release your powers", followed by the Master kissing (yes, kissing) the crystal, or GEM on the Otome's ear, then the Otome shouts "MATERIALIZE", and she transforms. That's one major difference between this and My-HiME, which despite being a magical girl anime, had no transformation scenes. While the Otome power is less magical and more technological, they still actually include transformation scenes, which is one of the iconic trademarks of the magical girl genre. The transformation scenes in this anime are actually kind of cool. Just the way they shout "MATERIALISE" when they activate their robes actually gets me pumped up for action. Although, it can look fan-servicy at some times.

Prior to the story's beginning, we see what looks like a rebel attack on a castle and a woman places a baby with some bright blue pendant in a bastet on a river. After this scene, we get the appearance of our main character ARIKA YUMEMIYA who appears to be traveling the desert when some kind of Desert Ship (I guess that's what they call them) passes by on the way to Windbloom Kingdom, which is the kingdom in which the anime takes place, but it doesn't rescue her, so she chases after it all the way to the docks. On this ship, we also meet two other very important characters: NINA WANG, who is a student training to become an Otome, and SERGAY WANG, who is the foster father of NINA. Shortly after they are introduced, ARIKA embarasses NINA in front of everyone. Then we get a small scene with NATSUKI KRUGER, the headmaster of the school that trains the Otome and SHIZURU VIOLA, a Meister Otome, or a graduated Otome who serves a Master, and also one of The Five Pillars (Columns in SUB), Otome selected by "fate" with the ability to materialise a robe without authorization from a Master. ARIKA follows NINA around town annoying her and asking her "stupid" questions. Next, we meet the princess of Windbloom Kingdom, MASHIRO BLON DE WINDBLOOM, who is a very childish troublemaker who always runs from the castle. Then a monster called a Slave apears and we get to see those cool transformation scenes as NINA, SHIZURU, and AKANE SOIR, an upperclassman student at the school that trains Otome materialise their robes and fight the Slave. When that's over, ARIKA asks NATSUKI to let her enroll in the school, Garderobe Academy, to become an Otome. That's as far as I'll go.

One of the things I really like about this show is the interaction between different nations. It reminds me a lot of Utawarerumono in the aspect of war, or at least the idea of it. The difference is, most of the nations' leaders try their hardest to prevent wars instead of declare them. One of the things that "My-Hime" did better than in "My-Otome" is the intesity of emotion. Don't get me wrong, there is no shortage of drama and dark twists in this anime. However, "My-HiME's" second half eclipsed "My-Otome's". The drama in "My-HiME" was enough to make anyone feel sad multiple times in the show and even prolonged for multiple episodes. "My-Otome" did have one sad part and somewhat of a dramatic plot near the end, but I think due to the type of character the protagonist is, it comes off as more kid-friendy.

My-Otome starts out pretty much just as slow as My-HiME, with the main difference being that every episode, no matter how boring or annoying, had something in it that was important that you couldn't skip. What makes it like My-HiME is that the idea of this section is to get you to sympathize with the major characters. What's worse, however is that the dark plot twists don't happen until at least half way through the anime, but the characters are worth it in my opinion. However, the ending is a bit rushed.

(40.05%) CHARACTERS: (8.9/10)

This character cast is not my favorite anymore. While it did have some great characters, the bad ones were just a little too bad. I will have to give this one credit, though, that it's much clearer who the main characters and side characters are than "My-HiME".

We'll start with the star of the show... ARIKA is actually a good refresher to even the large list of femal protagonists in the world of anime. Although, I believe her character is what might give viewers the impression of this being a more kid-friendly anime. She's a really childish and carefree "country girl" who is unfamiliar with technology among other things and gets easilly excited over many things. She really doesn't go through any easily noticable development, and her attitude can be a bit on the annoying side and even cringeworthy side if you can't handle cheesy or cliche lines coming from an ignorant character type. However, I think that ARIKA brings enough to the table, that and I'm just not too easily iritable, that I'd consider her a pretty good protagonist.

If you considered ARIKA the counterpart to MAI, at least in the sense that she's the protagonist and that she's a girl, then NINA would be NATSUKI's counterpart, although much more similar to NATSUKI's personality in "My-HiME". Well... I probably shoudn't try to compare her to NATSUKI because NATSUKI actually is in this anime. Anyway, similar to NATSUKI in "My-HiME", NINA is a no-nonsenical character with more of a formal and proper display. At first she is just as annoyed by ARIKA as anyone would be. She does slowly grow a small acqaintanceship and eventually a full-time friendship. That is until a good but almost controversial or even sickening twist (depending on how you look at it) as well as a tragic event happens around the midway point of the show. Even though the twist isn't really the best, the after-effects of the twist are what make NINA a really likable and even sympathetic character. I think I preferred her over NATSUKI as the better of the "dark side" characters.

Now, let's go over the last of the main characters, as well as one of my favorite female characters in anime, MASHIRO. First of all, this MASHIRO eclipses the one in "My-HiME" by a country mile, and this may the only character in the show that surpasses his or her "My-HiME" counterpart, save for maybe a couple others. Now, talk about a character whose creators hit all the right notes considering this personality. I really haven't seen this kind of character story done well before, at least not in anime. Now, what am I talking about, exactly? MASHIRO is this spoiled rotten princess who always gets her way and has no care in the world about others, and that's it. That's her whole character. See why I like her so much? Just:

...and now, my real reason for liking her. While MASHIRO definitely is that at the begining, she goes through possibly the biggest and drastic character development I've seen in an anime. She essentially goes from a spoiled whiney little bitch to a decent  ruler of a kingdom, but it's the stuff she has to go through that really adds to the development of the character. In her journey to this goal, she makes unbreakable friendships with NINA and ARIKA, has to deal with constant disapproval from the citizens, along with quite a few tragic events that she was forced to watch. There's so much more that I'm leaving out that it could easily be its own review. I'd even put her above MAI from "My-HiME" as the more complex of the female characters.

The characters that were brought over from "My-HiME" are not nearly as good or important in "My-Otome" as they were in "My-HiME". For one, most of them are pretty much the same characters, except for NATSUKI and maybe a few others. Actually, NAGI is much better in this anime than he was in "My-HiME", simply because we know who and what he is this time around. That, and something else that I absolutely cannot spoil. But, back to the subject, you want to know what I think that possibly one of, if not the most annoying anime character ever is? Say hello to SHIHO HUIT:

Judging from how annoying SHIHO kind of was in "My-HiME", I really didn't expect any less from this verson of her. However, I certainly wasn't expecting much more either, and Jesus f**king Christ, I don't think they could have made a more annoying character. The biggest problem with her is that, with SHIHO from "My-HiME", she was just as important to the story as most of the other characters and got ample screen time. Well, this SHIHO definitely got more than enough screen time, and literally ZERO ammount of her screen time served any purpose in the show. They could have completely left her out of the anime and it would have been exactly the same... Well, except it would have been less annoying.

Finally, I'd like to add that the villain in this anime is just perfect. I won't give away who the villain is, though if you've watched "My-HiME" already (which you probably should or already have if you're planning on watching this) you'd probably already know or at least have an idea of who the villain would be. He has to be one of the most well-written in that he always has a back-up plan for every scenario. He's another good ROBIN (for you "Fire Emblem" fans), the tactician character. I'd almost compare him to LIGHT YAGAMI, at least in the sense that he can always come back swinging with a plan B, should his first plan fail. The rest of the cast, though... is just meh.

(7.87%) ATMOSPHERE: (7.87/10)

(ANIMATION: 9.1 - SOUND: 7.1 - FEELING: 7.4)

The atmosphere in the anime wasn't too much different than in "My-HiME". However, seeing as it did come out about a year after "My-HiME", you can tell that there are quite a few improvements in the animation. All of the animations are really crisp and clean. I especially like that, both in this anime and "My'HiME", you don't really see any lazy animation. By lazy, I mean like chibi characters, colored lines to represent characters from a distance, or single-colored backgrounds. Mostly, everything is completely drawn and animated from start to finish.

The action scenes are definitely an improvement over "My-HiME". For one, they're all much longer, and the focus of the show is actually more geared towrd the action, so the detail is very noticable. I do think that there quite a bit less action scenes in the anime than in "My-HiME", though. I will say that some of the action scenes are a bit cliche, but the best ones are the scenes that show the Otomes fighting each other. These can be some colorful scenes.

OH! That's another thing! Both this and "My-HiME" are probably two of the most vibrantly colorful anime I've seen. Even without all the flashy, colorful action scenes, everything contrasts brilliantly. Like I said in the "My-HiME" review, because it really does apply to both, I don't think there were two characters with the same hair color. Not exactly, at least. This made it VERY easy to recognize each character. You really can't forget any of them because of the distinct hair colors. Also, like I mentioned in the other review, never underestimate the power of simplicity because, once again, none of these characters' hair styles were too over-the-top. I think SHIHO and ARIKA's hair styles are the whackiest they get. I think, at least for ARIKA, it works though. They're kind of like insect antenna, and whenever she reacts to something, they kind of wiggle around, and it can be kind of humorous. SHIHO's are spiral-shaped and spin around when she's angry.

The emotion and drama in this anime isn't really anywhere close to the level it was in "My-HiME", but it still is plentiful in the later episodes, just like in the original. It's not as dark as "My-HiME", but there are a couple really great parts, again mostly involving MASHIRO.

Now let's talk about the voice acting. You know my drill... If it has an English dub, I'll watch it, even if it sucks balls. Most Japanese dubs sound the same, to me. If you want an explanation as to why I think this, English is such a much more flexible language than Japanese. No two voices are exactly the same, and there's so many different dialects and slangs that most other languages just can't hit. Even people who speak other languages admit to English being one of the most difficult languages to learn beacuse of how broad its network of slang and dialect can be. Japanese dubs, with a few exceptions, just sound much more limited than English dubs. Now, back on subject, this English dub does not suck balls, MOST of the time. The original cast from "My-HiME" makes its way into all of their respective counterparts in this anime, and they all did very well in their roles, once again. I especially give props to Kate Rowan's performance as MASHIRO. This iteration of her was much better than in "My-HiME". She was able to take an otherwise seemingly emotionless kind of character and bring her to life. It's definitely a welcome change. I think Graham Ko's NAGI performance was much better in this version, as well. I still think NAO's voice actor needs a little work. Also, some of the lines spoken in the anime were said the complete wrong way. Like... you don't say "I AM sorry, miss MARIA," and what the f**k is a "cannon launcher"? I'd say that the better roles definitely improved from their counterparts in "My-HiME", and on the whole, the English dub gets a pass.

Now, we're hetting into the half-and-half part of this category. The music in this show is mostly really good. It's about 80% gold. I guess I'll start with the 20% that isn't gold. The first opening of this anime is really forgettable. I even said that the theme for "My-HiME" wasn't very spectacular, but at least I'd recognize it if it were to suddenly start spontaneously playing in my head. This one is just like, "What was I listening to?" Could you imagine me saying that about either opening for "Attack on Titan", because I couldn't. Just nothing pops out.

Next, we'll get into the good stuff, saving the best for last, of course. We obviously can't go any farther in this review without giving a BIG shoutout to my girl Yuki Kajiura, my all-time favorite anime composer! Though, I don't think the score for this anime was as good as the one in "My-HiME", it's still Kajiura, and I do, however believe that it's a bit more diverse than in "My-HiME". That one consisted of mostly piano and acoustic guitar pieces with a few electronic tracks here and there. "My-Otome" seems to have a more orchestral focused score and contains a lot of strings and percussions, occasionally accompanied by brass instruments. You do also hear your fair share of electronic music in here as well. I think some tracks worth listening to are my personal favorites: "MATERIALIZE", "Mother's Lullabye" and "Sei Otome no Inori". All of these songs and their various respective remixes are, for lack of a better word, music to my ears. I wouldn't listen to "MATERIALIZE" by itself, though because its really heavy on the opera. It fits the situations perfectly though.

Now let's talk about MY personal favorite aspect of this show, and when I say favorite, I literally mean that this is the best thing in the whole show... Better than the story, characters, atmosphere (although this is part of the atmosphere), but this anime's second opening theme is awesome. I put it up there with "Attack on Titan" and "11Eyes"s themes as one of the best opening songs in anime. It starts a the perfect time in the show, too. The animation sequence is also reflective of what's going on and what's about to happen, without giving anything away. However, it does spoil a character reveal, which you might have seen coming, but it just contradicts what the anime tells you for most of the show and adds to the already large amount of plot-holes. The song is probably the best of all of Minami Kuribayashi's songs (at least of what I've heard). She does like all the vocal songs in the "Mai-" anime universe and most of the ones she does are really heavy on the vibrato, to the point where it's either annoying or easy to poke fun at. I'm just glad that this series, as good as it is in the show, gave me something to remember out of the show.

Speaking of something to remember, let's not forget the other best for last thing. This anime's ending theme is DANGEROUSLY catchy. This, along with "Connect" form "Madoka Magica" and "Musouka" from "Utawarerumono" are my three most catchy anime songs, and for obvious reasons. This song includes many of the good JPOP artists/singers in a chorus singing a really catchy song. It's also fairly long, if you listen to the original, that is. I'm not even sure whether or not I like this or the opening theme better, but I'll go with this for now, just because it's catchy.

OVERALL: (8.707/10)

To finish my hour-long essay off, this anime may not be as good as I used to think it was, but it still is a pretty damn good show. If you haven't seen My-HiME, you can watch this and not be lost, although you won't get many if the references to My-HiME, and If you have seen My-HiME, however, even though I don't think it's as good, My-Otome is still a must watch. Hey, I mean at least you'll get to see Shiznat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) in action again.

8.7/10 story
9.1/10 animation
7.1/10 sound
8.9/10 characters
8.7/10 overall
crypticangel's avatar
Jul 27, 2012

i thought the story stayed on track and it didnt wander off liek some animes that i have watched the characters were pretty good and some were even funney to watch but this was one of the best animes i have watched it was entertaining and at one point made me wonder what would happen to Arika just love this anime all around