Magical Chocolate - Reviews

Alt title: Mahou no Chocolate

Thrawn's avatar
Feb 15, 2011

Well... it's an nine minute love story and the synopsis covers about seven minutes of the story, all but the conclusion; which you can probably guess. It's not much in terms of anything but considering the short length, it's forgivable; it ain't easy to come up with gripping narrative or characters that you would die for. The animation is lacking and feels cheap, the sound does nothing special... and yeah. It's nine minutes and not that bad a waste of, despite the rating.

It's nine minutes, what would you expect?

4.5/10 overall
LittleChomp's avatar
Sep 3, 2010

Anime in 150 Words: Magical Chocolate

Why 150? It’s a short. Not much to say.

Premise: A girl has a crush and is a little nervous about confessing on Valentine’s Day until her friend tells her about a mysterious figure and a magical box of chocolates that guarantee success in love.

Love: This short leaves a sweet feeling inside. It’s cute, not realistic, of course, but cute. It’s such an innocent look at love.

Audience: Shoujo fans, ones who want a break from the complex drama in some shows.

Holidays: On Valentine’s Day, girls give chocolate to boys they care for. When White Day comes and boys give gifts to the girls who gave them chocolate.

Overall: Magical Chocolate is an adorable short and a pretty good pick me up if you’ve only got a few minutes for some feel good anime. If you like shoujo, give it a chance. :)

5.5/10 overall
galacticdude7's avatar
Feb 17, 2010

-Story-

Even though Magical Chocolate is extremely short, and leaves no time for development, It was generally good, even though it was a bit cliched. Its a rather simple story, and had some cliched moments in it. The magical chocolate that was given to Mami is still a bit of a mystery, and I wished it was explained more properly. The story is rather cute though.

-Animation-

The animation had a feel to it like it was done using cheap software, and it had a fanime feel to it. Despite this, the animation still looked reasonably well. The character's looks were rather bland, but that is probably just the style of the anime.

-Characters-

The characters were not developed, but they had no need to be. We knew what kind of characters we were dealing with. There is a normal girl who is madly in love with a popular guy, her friend, and a mysterious woman who hands out the magical chocolate. Sure the characters were cliched, but we could relate to them in some way. The characters did seem bland, and they were easy to forget.

-Overall-

Magical Chocolate is a good way to spend 8 minutes of your life. Sure there are better ways to spend it, but it still was able to please me in some way. I would only recommend this anime to people who don't mind cliched stories or characters. But this is a testament to Independent animators, and that they can actually produce some good stuff, even if it is of mediocre quality.

5.5/10 overall