Add review
sakuramemories's avatar
Dec 28, 2017

one of those mindf* anime on infinity loop.

Treebeard96's avatar
Dec 6, 2017

Watched this awhile back I think its pretty good but feels like the story could have been done better.

WolfAngelus's avatar
Sep 19, 2016

The most confusing and boring thing I have ever watched. Very dissapointing considering that almost anything from MADHOUSE is great (they have many of my top favorite anime and I prioritize their anime at the top of my lists). It has tons of actions and blood and some good music but that is the only positive comments to make.

The major issue is the story. What exactly is happening? It warps around so rapidly that it makes no sense and stuff just seems to happen randomly like it is warping all over the place. It includes something about a lady and a guy who are in love, she revives him and he has to find her again or something.

The art style, characters, and the whole anime in general are aimed towards adult viewers. It has a mature feel and look which could have been a nice a change if what happens didn't feel so fragmented.

The amount of action, gore, and music are the best parts, but also so hard to follow. If you like pure action this might be interesting but without knowing why its happening, it is hard to enjoy, and that is coming from someone who loves those 3 components.

Find something else to watch if this is in your consideration list among with others.

0.1/10 story
0.1/10 characters
0.5/10 overall
casandra29's avatar
Feb 12, 2016

Kurozuka is a really artsy anime. It's quite different from most main stream anime in the way it presents it's story. As soon as you see Vampire and Romance as part of the tags you may be expecting a normal Vampire love story. You would be dead wrong. Honestly calling what is here Romance is quite skewed. This is a story of repitition for 2 people who will last till the end of time... well 1 and 1/2 people anyway. Your going to need some pacience to get through this anime but the action and some of the artistic ways they present the story will help you get through it. If you have read the manga. Don't come with expectations. This anime is very different. It uses some of the stuff from the manga but even Kuro the main character is changed considerably. There are several parts that are confusing, however, things become more clear at the end.

The animation in this show is really interesting usually I don't have much to say, but this time I do. Though the animation itself is not any better than the normal anime it's their unique approach to it which earns my respect and admiration. The fight scenes are spectacular and the way they color the screen when Kuro uses his powers makes the presentation more intense and artistic.

The Opening song may not be something everyone would like but it is one of my favorite in Anime. In addition the sounds are all done extremely well. The voice acting is also flawless.

The characters in this Anime Vary a lot from it's manga counterpart. While Kuro is understood quite well the rest of the characters really don't get explored enough other than Kuromitsu who is sopposed to be Inigmatic to begin with. Karuta for example. When he dies... they show the characters emotional yet... I felt nothing for him because he did very little of note the whole show until right before he died. I liked Rai's character a lot and I felt it would have been a better anime if they expanded more on Kuro and her relationship... but they don't. The Villans were also Varied. Some were the pinicle of Cliche while others were.... too unique.

Overall, this anime is one that I think some people will really enjoy and other people will find either confusing or repulsive. I myself enjoy this anime. I like the action and artistic presentation. There are even some really weird and funny parts that you wouldn't expect in such a dark story. The humor is quite dark though. That being said, there is a lot that isn't made clear and many of the characters are not really fleshed out enough. So I am giving this story a 7.

- Reviewed for Monthly Marathon

6.5/10 characters
Neskreudn's avatar
Apr 23, 2015

This series had promise. With the many inexplicable things that go on and are later explained, I thought it would be better than this. The idea for the story didn't seem like it was fully developed and could've used some work. Some of the characters seemed too corny or had been done before that it was hard to make it through the 12 episodes. They did great with the animation but I think they could've done a bit better. Overall it just seemed like a disappointment. Even the ending was pretty bad, with the explanation for it all. I would only recommend this to people that have nothing else to watch.

6.1/10 overall
danjcla's avatar
Sep 22, 2014

I was really hoping this would all tie together in some kind of awesome, non-obvious, but clearly plausible and tied-together way like "12 Monkeys" or for a non-time-related example that's an anime with much better fight scenes, more badassness, characters with development that you feel something for, and a plot that all comes together at the end, "Hellsing".

Instead, the ending was shit. No payoff. So just a bunch of half decent fight scenes in the end. There's some time I'll never get back.

I normally like endings that aren't happy, but this one was unhappy in a really boring way. Just horrible selfishness; which based on the tenor the author seems to think is somehow noble.

No honor or plan for improvement of the situation or intelligence or anything. And the horrible thing is that was the most obvious explanation for quite a few episodes, which meant for me it must not be what the author came up with. But indeed it was.

Best part of the series: opening credits are pretty badass. Including the nemesis-dude who says vaguely wise things, and you hope will turn out sort of awesome in a wants-to-do-something-other-than-just-kill-the-main-character way. In fact, that is what he wants to do.

Also, sort of the worst stereotypes of men and women. Dude, bitch don't love you. Also, totally unclear why it took around 1000 years to get in a room with her to tell her about that.

And given how she treats people she does profess to love, you should be happy about that. Go do something interesting and constructive with your long life. That's another implausible thing about this; guys who don't move on from a view of love most get over in high school.

And it's even more stupid because the physical problem that means the male love interest needs to keep on fighting forever could just be solved by technology that doesn't involve fucking other people over likely not all that far in the future. Fuck could probably even clone the female love interest if she'd be up for it. It's also implausible that given 1000 years the 3 locked in perpetual conflict wouldn't like grow as people a bit and sit down and talk about shit instead of just trying to kill each other with swords.

Hell the guy who the gal doesn't love even says he's accepted she doesn't love him, and the guy she does love says he's forgiven the other guy long ago (even though based on the internal logic of how he experiences time he shouldn't even know who the hell the other guy is). And then they fight for unclear reasons anyway.

As you can tell I'm a bit angry about this.

Avoid.

CoulterRail's avatar
Apr 3, 2014

<div>I was pleasantly surprised by this. It was adapted from a book, and I believe the original author had some truly interesting things to express concerning repeating time loops, immortality, and love versus lust. He also decided the proper vehicle for these themes was feudal Japan, a dystopian future Tokyo, vampires, and samurai. Sign me up.

Our protagonist is a master swordsman. He's being chased by undead warriors and finds refuge in the home of an attractive, mysterious woman who turns out to be a vampire (knowing she's a vampire doesn't take away any mystery). Our hero turns into one as well and some action robs him of his head. He awakens in a dystopian future Tokyo. A search begins for his lost love and the answers to a HUGE past that he has no memory of.

What went wrong? So much of this is executed admirably, but some small parts are unforgivable bluster and misplaced fan-service. Let's get to it:

***PROS***

STORYLINE
The concept is intriguing and paced well. The characters are not ocean-deep, but instead are governed by primal, relatable desires. It's unclear whether the love shared between the hero and the vampire he seeks is real and timeless--or twisted lust and uncontrollable obsession. The jumping from past to present is tasteful, and the narrative stays cohesive (which is a rarity in anime like these). Also, though vampires are in the show, they are not the center of it; as a result, the plot avoids any of the tired crutches commonly seen today.

ANIMATION
Gorgeous character designs and fluid animation. The battle scenes are vicious. The CG starts to feel clumsy about halfway through, but it's still handled well enough to avoid negative comparison with a Playstation cut scene.

TWISTED
I'm a fan of revelations that are hard to swallow (Berserk/Elfen Lied/Evangelion), and Kurozuka delivers a very disturbing one. It is worth watching through one time, just to confront the ending.

***CONS***

IDENTITY CRISIS
Once the final stage is prepped and ready, some out-of-place humor is injected. It feels unwarranted, but it's still not enough to mess up the plot. Once we reach the final boss, we're treated to two VERY poor choices that come in the form of two battles. The master villain is a scientist and supposedly intelligent; yet when he changes into his attack form, it looks terrible and is void of any real tactical consideration. His intelligence also disappears and he dons the guise of a hentai monster, peering through the split legs of a bound heroine and ogling her breasts, the better to give the hero ample opportunities to thwart him.

The second battle involves a distraught ally. Despite the superb animation thus far, the fight is poorly animated: filled with still shots and three-frame motions. It tries to feel epic, but it has no place in the storyline. After the two extremely disappointing bouts, the story resumes and ends beautifully. Normally, I'd take the great with the awful. But this story was so admirable that the forced inclusion of those garbage scenes really derailed it pretty hard.

All in all, watch it before you buy. IT DESERVES A WATCH.  They stole the mood and narrative (momentarily). The story does return to deliver a harsh realization that grounds the viewers and leaves them with a menacing concept. If only those fights had been avoided.

I'm an animator and writer, so I frequently pour through stacks of anime. If this was helpful or our tastes seems to align, follow along. I'll try to steer you straight.</div>

blitzburns4's avatar
Jul 6, 2013

I am an idealist. Always have been. For those who are unsure of what, percisely, pertains to being an idealist. An idealist is simply someone who is guided by an ideal rather then (a) practical purpose or consideration. I don't wish to be rich simply because being rich is more practical to being poor- no. I want to be wealthy because I chase an ideal that emphasizes that being affulent will help me end my lifelong pursuit of happiness. It other words, I believe being wealthy is not the be-all/end-all, and that being rich will not directly result in happiness. There has to be something else- an ideal- that would be better accomplished through being wealthy. For me, that ideal would be raising a family. A practicioner, on the other hand, would simply do anything necessary to accomplish his/her goal. (In this case, being rich.) Let's just say we were both struggling businessman. The practitioner would be willing to screw over both other businessman as well as customers simply to accomplish the goal of racketeering as much profit as possible. However, as an idealist, the goal of making money is secondary to the ideal. Even in the face of financial difficulty, that ideal is not sacrificed. It remains constant, whether the idealist becomes wealthy or not.

You, the reader, are probably wondering at this point why the hell am I going so deep into Idealism vs. Practicalism in an Anime review. (After all, this is not a Philosophy lecture.) If that is the case- You, dear reader, are absolutely correct. The reason, to put it simply, is that ties directly into my review. It is the point of view I had going into this anime. It's vitally important that you, the reader, understand that. When I viewed Kurozuka, I didn't necessarily just see it singularly as a product, but also as the ideal is represents. One must remember that Anime, after all, is a form of art. As a product, I'll be the first to admit that it's a very lackluster series. However for the emotional impact (Think of the primary "WTF" feeling it gives you.) it suceeds -very- successfully; leaving me thinking back to this show days after it had ended. This, obviously, makes this show a bit of a paradox to review. Worry not, though- after hours of contemplation I finally feel resolve with my opinion of this show. I will share it to you now.

Just like we start any story, (Regardless of the medium) I wish to start my review from the point by which everything else starts to fall into place- the beginning. In the beginning, Kurozuka was the literal incarnation of perfection. If the show had finished as strongly as first forty minutes, then this could have been one of -the- anime classics of our generation. It's sad, really. Idealistically; Practically; it does not matter. There is no debate, and there is no question. Both realistically and literally this show has more or less one of the greatest opening sequences of all time. (A sequence many other anime, such as Beserk, Gungrave, and Ga Rei Zero have all tried but haven't gotten quite right.) But, alas, as the saying goes, 'The Brightest Flame burns the fastest.' So soon does the bright light all but disappear.

*Minor spoilers ahead.*

The main premise of this show is that of a journey of two immortal lovers who can not die. (Sounds interesting, right?) In the beginning, we see how the two primary characters meet and fall in love with each other. We start with a prince named Kuro who has sufferred the ultimate price of being royalty- death. His family's political enemies want him dead, and have chased him from his home. Death chases him wherever he goes- and because of that, he's always on the run. However he already knows it's only a matter of time. (We even see him tell his assistant that he should simply kill him so he could survive.) The story starts when, having just barley survived an ambush- he takes shelter in a remote home in the mountains. It's there that he meets Kuromitsu; a beautiful woman who agrees to let the two fugitives take shelter in her home- on the single condition that they do not go into the basement. However, soon after Benkei- Kuro's loyal assistant- leaves to find medicine for the injured and sick Kuro, the house is attacked. One thing leads to another, and Kuro finds himself killed protecting Kuromitsu. Because he was the only person Kuromitsu had ever met who hadn't been afraid of her, and protected her, she makes him an offer to "chase eternity,"- together with her forever.

The only problem (And this is were this series starts to go downhill.) is that things do not go according to plan. Kuro, before he could become fully immortal, is betrayed and killed by Benkei- his loyal assistant and fellow warrior. Instead of chasing eternity with Kuromitsu; Kuro finds himself stuck in a loop where, though he is immortal and can not die, he has no body- and must change bodies every 100 years. (Or he really will die.) When he changes bodies, for whatever reason, Kuro also loses his memories. The show (or the rest of the ten or so episodes) starts about a two thousand years later. The world has ended and started again, and Kuro is still afflicted with his curse. Since he lost his memories, for about nine episodes we see Kuro do nothing but search for a woman whom he scantly remembers; (Kuromitsu.) only seeing her through random flashbacks. Literally, nearly nothing happens plot wise for the entire series up until the very last episode. In the very last episode, it is revealed in a climactic revelation that Kuromitsu had planned to finally break Kuro free of the cycle, which had plaqued their chasing of eternity. Her plan failed, but being an immortal she simply made herself content to try again. And so, the show ends right where the series starts.

In the entire 12 episodes that this series encompasses, there is only about three episodes worth of story. In fact, this show would have done much better as a five episode anime short; like Afro Samurai. Or, even better, as a movie. (Like Ninja Scroll, which this show is clearly based off of.) If that had been the case- the score of this show would have undoubtably been in the eight to ten range. Sure, it would overshadowed and constantly compared to the earlier examples, (Afro Samurai and Ninja Scroll) but by being too ambitious and dragging out this story much longer then it should have been- this show only served to bring itself crashing down.

Again, unfortunately, this is not the case. This story is not told in a hundred-minute movie or a five episode anime short. The reality is we, the viewers, are left hanging around watching about nine and a half straight episodes of absolutely nothing but action. Sure, the action's good. Sure, we are introduced to really cool villans and get some strong backstory on them so that they are relatable. But this show, in my humble opinion, presents the action secondary to the plot. When the show (seemingly randomly) shifts focus from being an amazing story to simply being nothing except a series of amazing action scenes; I think there isn't a single viewer out there that didn't feel left out. To tell you the truth, I felt like breaking down and crying at the missed potential.  And yet, the action is what encompasses and highlights the majority of this show. So it makes it very hard for me (as an idealist) to judge this show based off the assumption it was meant to be a story-related show. In hindsight, and after much contemplation, it's really quite clear (Though I don't want to believe it.) that this show was never meant to be known or remembered for its story. One only has to refer to the absurdly choreographed action scenes, or the sudden and random use of slapstick humor, or the restart ending. (The only reason that I could come up with for a complete restart ending is so they could continue the non-stop action in a potential second season- which would have undoubtly been created had this show been positively recieved and/or successful.)

I know at this point I should go into other detailed aspects of this show. The action, the characters, the sound. But it's really all unnecessary at this point. All the side characters are simply there to continue the action. (Old wise woman states that Kuromitsu is being held somewere else? Sorry, all that really did for me was remind me of how Toad would tell the player that Peach was in a different castle in the original Super Mario Bros.)  There is no story related to them; and it didn't take a genius to figure out what their fates were going to be once the show (nonsuprisingly) started killing them off. The sound, with the exception of extremely rare cases like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo- where they serve to be a deeply rooted theme found in the very foundation of the show- is simply something that exists to most of the time... A necessary burden for most TV series to help portray what they want to portray. This show is no exception. The sound simply wasn't exceptional or memorable. The sound didn't serve to be a deeply-rooted theme of the show, and there were no catchy soundtracks that one would want to go back and listen to. (Like in Black Lagoon or Darker then Black.) The animation was good, perhaps even great. However, the extreme feeling of disappointment I felt whilst watching this show all but cancels out the otherwise superb choreography and animation.

In conclusion, I recommend watching this show only if you really want to see what missed potential looks like. Never before have I seen something THIS close on the edge of greatness or glory. Perhaps if one were addicted to Ninja Scroll-type sword action and had all but exhausted all other options... (Very unlikely.) then perhaps they would be interested in watching this show. However, for everyone else- this show will not do anything for you except give you a depressed feeling of missed oppurtunity.

Story: 4.5

Animation: 8.0

Characters: 5.0

Overall: 5.8 / 10 - Disappointing

5.5/10 characters
5.8/10 overall
akak673's avatar
May 10, 2013

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this Anime - let me offer my two cents.

In terms of literal plot summary I think there is little argument about the basics.  The Vampire Kuromitsu falls in love with Kuro, tries to make him immortal so that she has a companion for eternity, but only partially suceeds.  She then spends the next thousand years again and again replacing his still-aging body until a time comes (22nd century-ish) where cloning has progressed to a point when an immortal body - made from Kuro's blood - can be fashioned so that the two of them can be together forever.  The cycle of beheading, memory loss, reattachment, and seeking Kuromitsu has repeated itself (for Kuro) for a thousand years by the time Kuon - Kuro's eventual body replacement, is finally created.  However that attempt fails as well, and Kuro is left bodyless again, wishing for death.

If taken too literally this plot seems convoluted and lacking - but I don't imagine the author intended it as such.  Kurozuka is a *love story* (maybe the ultimate love - eternal) and should be viewed entirely metaphorically.  The simplest way I can summarize the overarching message is this:

"Our love will last forever, in the face of terror, destruction, pain, suffering, and even if our bodies die - our love is timeless."

Kurozuka is basically the ultimate love letter from one lover to another.  Kuromitsu may seem cruel, but isn't the madness of an eternity without love a reasonable excuse for her actions - for her trying to save Kuro again and again?  In her heart she is holding together the one thing that has meaning to her - their love.  It may seem cruel - but posession is always a slippery slope in love.

But for Kuro it seems like madness of course - as he keeps losing his memory.  This serves a great purpose in the film, as it allows love to free itself from rational explantion (what love *is* rational anyway?) and instead sets up Kuro as the ultimate lover.  Imagine what a woman would grow to feel for a man that continually seeks her for 1,000 years without knowing why, and falls deeply in love with her the moment he meets her, each time, only to "die", be reborn, and seek her again?  This has to be the greatest high and aphrodisiac ever.  From a woman's point of view (which I don't have claim to) I imagine this is amzingly, stupendously, ultimately romantic.

I write this having finished the series only 30 minutes ago.  I'll consider it further  - but to me it seems simple - a story of timeless love in the face of all odds.  The details are less relevant than the theme.  Much like it is in real love in our lives - when you're in love - nothing else matters.

[edit - of course this all begs the question why weren't the characters of the eternal lovers - and the reason kuro and kirumitsu fell so deeply in love - better explored?  The characters are thin here - too thin for the ambitious reach of the story arc.  It's a shame because so much of the rest of Kurozuka is A material.  Still worth the watch]

-j

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jul 25, 2012

Kurozuka is a title which proves that no matter how great a book looks, it still needs to have some sort of manageable writing in it to sell and be liked. This only meant to be a metaphor and not my opinion of the source material, which was a novel, turned manga, turned anime. I haven’t read those (which I hear are far more entertaining) and I am only going to talk about the anime version.

So basically, the problem with this show is that it lacks context. And by that, I do not mean action, cool looking warriors, explosions, and the like. It has lots of it and it is artistic up to a point to boot. The problem is that it lacks ANYTHING ELSE other than that. The characters never manage to become sympathetic to you, the story is simple and still manages to be confusing, and there are no oversexualized lolis and boobs all over the screen every five minutes to keep you interested into watching just for that. As cool as the action and the cinematics are, people would gladly choose something with no action and no art, as long as it has likable characters and erotic service.

The production values are downright amazing as long as superficial looks go. This is Madhouse we are talking about and it poured lots of cash to make everything look eye-catchy, dynamic, and cool, with lots of cinematics and artistic overtones, ranging from a traditional Japan to a futuristic steampunk dystopia. They even went as far as deliberately drawing characters in an almost grotesque way, with spider legs and bizarre faces as to further make it look special. The action scenes are also very good to stare since they are usually very brutal and gory, while the soundtrack and the voice acting fill in just fine.

Most who watched the first episode were simply amazed and impatiently waited to see what follows next. And then they watched the second episode… and then the third… and then most lost interest. Why? THERE IS NO CONTEXT! Why is everything happening, for which reason, why should we care, and how long can we just be content with fancy visuals and over the top action? Everything and everyone are downright basic.
- The setting switching from past to future has been done numerous times in the past, mostly in videogames, and the result is always the same: It looks good as a button-mashing action game but it sure as hell makes a boring story.
- The characters are distant from the viewer; they feel too unsympathetic, cold, stuck on a one-track mind. Most of them are nothing but mass produced freaks without personality, existing only to be killed by the hero who simply looks for someone major to kill. That is all.
- For most of the duration, all you see is the hero going around, butchering freaks, and gathering bits of confusing information that by the end of the series don’t even offer anything of importance. It’s just all about finding the Big Bad and to off him/her; all the rest of the plot is a completely uncaring-for-the-viewer witness of repetitive search and destroy missions. It gets boring really fast.
- The action, as cool as it may be, still is too unreal and over the top to tolerate for many episodes. Improbable motions, scene mistakes, injuries not being important, and characters doing some really basic mistakes for the sake of the script pile up so fast that you can’t ignore them after a few episodes. And since the action is about a distant super warrior and a bunch of faceless freaks, there is no emotional bond with all that happens and again you have no reason to keep watching.

There you have it, a show that tries to pass as cool without first winning your sympathy. This is why I always say the characters are the backbone of any series; if you don’t care about them, then you might as well be watching a WW2 documentary. A similar title which did the same mistake is the “Highlander: The Search for Vengeance” movie; equally flashy without any actual context (and duration) to back it up. A title which did it right though is Samurai Champloo; it has a simplistic plot but its characters are very likable early on and you watch for THEM and not the two-lines-long story.

I do not recommend this anime. It starts in an amazing way but loses steam faster than those steampunk monstrosities the hero slices to pieces.

Galadriel's avatar
Feb 7, 2010

Kurozuka

Plot: "In feudal Japan, Kurou and his servant Benkei are fleeing from Kurou's elder brother, who has recently ascended to the throne. In a forest, they come across a house and a strange woman by the name of Kuromitsu, who agrees to harbor them under one condition: that they do not peer into the inner chambers. Soon, they are attacked by the Red Army; they are searching for Kuromitsu, whose blood holds immortality. Fatally wounded, Kurou drinks some of Kuromitsu's blood and gains immortality along with strange abilities; but shortly after, Kurou is seemingly decapitated and wakes up centuries later in a ruined city. In this twisted future the Red Army is omnipresent and still searching for Kuromitsu’s blood, while a rebel army seeks to keep them from acquiring it. With threats at every turn and fueled by his obsession, Kurou sets forth to find Kuromitsu and seek his revenge on the Red Army." (site synopsis)

Story: Being keen of horror genre animes with fascinating animation graphics and great action scenes i came across Kurozuka which from the short introduction seemed to be show that mustn't be missed and in a way it proved to be like that but it didnt completely reach my expectations since the other horror anime shows like Mnemosyne, Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners, Jigoku Shoujo, Blue Gender or When they Cry, Higurashi series were briliantly made in all aspects. Kurozuka nevertheless, sends what a horror anime should send, a blood bath, captivating action scenes filled with bloody scenes and some unsignificant ero-guro aspects. Anyway, the story of Kurozuka is centered on Kurou and his servant Benkei. Both of them were fleeing since Kurou's elder brother managed to obtain the throne of his country and Kurou became a wanted person. While they were traveling in the forest, they came across a strange but very beautiful woman named Kuromitsu who accepts to let them stay in her house but with one condition, that they should not peer into the inner chambers of the mansion. Even though Kurou and Benkei managed to obtain a shelter, a safe place, the Red Army suddenly attacks them. Their goal was to capture Kuromitsu and obtain her blood which hold the secret of immortality alongside with some strange yet dangerous abilities. In the battle Kurou was deadly wounded, so in order to save him Kuromitsu shares her blood with him so he becomes immortal as well and obtained some supernatural abilities but even so shortly after the Red Army attacks again and Kurou is fatally wounded again, decapitated more exactly and he wakes up centuries later in a city left in ruins, without knowing where Kuromitsu went. The short time spent with her was enough for them to develop feelings towards each other though as the story progresses, this love becomes more like an obsession since he was interfering in the Red Army's business all for the sake of finding her and save her so that the Red Army wont get ahold of her blood. Also a rebel army was doing its best to keep the Red Army away from acquiring Kuromitsu's blood. Kurou joins this faction all for the sake of meeting with Kuromitsu again. Fuled with obsession Kurou risks his life to find Kuromitsu and to seek revenge on the Red Army. One thing i have to say here, the ending of this anime is pretty confusing at the first view but if ya guys stay and think abit about it this show never intended to have a fairytale type of ending after all this blood bath. The only thing i have to say is that this anime is a very profound and interesting comment on the cyclic nature of history and eternal love.

Animation and Sound: Despire the fact that the story of Kurozuka is filled with holes and has many things unclarified, the animation is splendid, the settings and background are amazingly well made and the character designs are awsome as well. The sound is also pretty catchy which fits the anime mood and environment though what pissed me off was the disturbing ending song which was a complete fail in armonising with the anime.

Characters: The lowest point of this anime is related to the characters, how much the two main protagonists Kurou and Kuromitsu impresses us they are rather shallowy developed and not clear at all, even their supposed love relationship never came to a realization and its mostly shown as a obsession. Also even though they were in love, very few things they knew about each other they were all covered in complete darkness, mystery. Also the supporting characters were rather useless, their only role was to die in the end and then completely dissapear as if they never had a word to say, or as if they did not take part in this anime at all, in other words they are pretty forgetable.

Overall: Kurozuka didn't really reach my expectation though it sent what i expect from a horror show, blood baths, cool and intense fighting scenes. It could have been alot better if Kurou and Kuromitsu would have been better developed but sufice to say the message of the anime made it pretty clear that it wont end in a nice way. For people that are captivated of anime with bloody scenes, alot of violence and cool action scenes then Kurozuka is worth watching though for ones that expect a great story i say that you guys should think twice before watching it. Shows like Mnemosyne, Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners, Blue Gender, Blood+, Higurashi or Jigoku Shoujo are much more intense and with a better story, which makes them even more captivating so i would recommend this more than Kurozuka. Suffice to say Kurozuka isn't too bad nor too good it all depends of tastes and how you view it in the end.

~Enjoy and Cya Around~

6.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
6.5/10 characters
7.8/10 overall
Valmios's avatar
Jan 12, 2010

I really liked this anime  it puts u to think a little its a little complicated at the beggining but its really greit Anime Overall

Ok ive seen this anime like 2 months ago so i just waste time doing some review ...anyway i know that this guy got decapitated and some sort of Vampire/Witch saves him by changing his body every 100 year or he die's so its a infinite loop  like this  oh yeah he lozes his memory every time :/

Decapitation->New Body->Trying to regain memory-> Decapitation->New Body->Trying to regain memory-> Decapitation->New Body->Trying to regain memory->till + infinit  LOL

anyway it has some really sweet action moment like when he use some weird matrix stuff

aritentd's avatar
Oct 4, 2009

Kurozuka

After watching the first ep I thought this anime could have some decent fighting scenes. I didn't know just how wrong I was. Fights quickly went down to average / below average. As the action scenes are the only thing this type of anime can build on, I was really surprised that there were more meaningless story fillers than actual fights. And as for the story, ehm..., it really didn't work out well. It was bland all the way through to the ending, which didn't end anything. I just can't see the audience this show was aimed at. Maybe I am just blind.

Even though I despise ecchi, I would rather watch that than going through this second time. The only reason I was able to force myself to finish it, was that I had the show in hd, which I usually don't delete without watching it at least once. Fortunately it is gone now, rejoice!

VivisQueen's avatar
Dec 30, 2008

After twelve curious episodes filled with time jumps, flashbacks, and eye-boggling aerobatics, I regretfully find myself tossing Kurozuka into my Almost But Not Quite bin. After all, Kurozuka is almost disturbing, almost intelligent, almost outstandingly beautiful, but not quite. While composed of some highly entertaining ingredients, these are put together in a slipshod manner, resulting in a product of much wasted potential.

Kurozuka is at all times a brooding, slow-burning sort of story with an idiosyncratic jumpy narrative style that initially makes the events quite interesting to follow. In fact, it is easy to like on first impressions for several reasons – superb animation, mysterious characters, and a creative milieu. Moreover, unlike similar shows which fail outright to be interesting (e.g. Devil May Cry), Kurozuka actually has a central theme of obsessive love spanning centuries which is fairly unique.

Ultimately, though, no matter how good the building blocks, it’s how well they get cemented together which makes all the difference. Sadly, Kurozuka feels like the condensed version of a much more complex story; the leaps in time are jarring, there’s no background explanation for the conflict or, indeed, for the characters’ behaviour, and some of the important ones get killed off towards the end without so much as a death speech to remember them by.

Furthermore, the action-oriented set pieces form a perfect example of missed opportunity. Technically, they look good; meaningfully, they add nothing to the enjoyment of the conflict. This is because the only thing that decides the outcome of the battles is whether or not Kuro goes berserk. At times, he will go berserk at the slightest provocation, whilst other times, it takes several knocks to work him up to the right state, but at no point is a reason given for why his strength grows exponentially whenever he’s super-angry. Either way, once he does, whatever unfortunate antagonist happens to stand in his way is doomed to lose. This happens without fail and without variation, which renders the fights after the first few instances rather predictable.

Indeed, amongst the various cobbled-together strands of the plot, only Kuromitsu’s mysterious elusiveness provides any real reason to keep watching. What’s her background? Why does she seem to be the only immortal around? Does she really love Kuro or is it something else? However, any hopes that these questions might be resolved satisfactorily are dashed as Kurozuka dead-ends into a frivolous final episode in which a lot happens that means very little. In stead of offering much-needed answers, everything gets bogged down in more flashbacks and retellings, as if the creators didn’t quite know what to do with what was left of the messy concept.

Unlike the story, Kurozuka’s animation is pleasing through and through. With a dark and glossy style, it’s strongly in keeping with other contemporary Madhouse productions such as Claymore. In an edgier twist, it also boasts lots of Matrix-style bullet-dodging and pointless but eye-catching freeze frame shots. Only the combat choreography, which proceeds in a basic sequence of cuts and still shots, could be more impressive. However, with an emphasis on presentation rather than technical superiority, this is not a major drawback.

Moody, hard, and with a strong feudal flavour, most of the soundtrack serves its purpose well. Kurozuka generally has an aptly eerie atmosphere due to the score, although there are still one or two disappointments, for example the boring ending theme. On the whole, though, Kurozuka prefers the use of natural sounds, which means it retains a great sense of realism.

No matter how many romantic conversations Kuro and Kuromitsu have, there is never a clear-cut reason why the two actually love each other, or, indeed, whether their feelings are of love or just obsession. They’re not portrayed as compatible people with certain tastes, beliefs, and ambitions, but as ciphers to which things just happen. While Kuro mostly ambles into fights not of his own making, Kuromitsu is portrayed in romantic flashbacks or as an apparition conveniently materialising just when Kuro needs her the most.

Perhaps one scene sums up the senselessness of the protagonists perfectly. In a rare moment of self-reflection, Kuro asks another character who knows Kuromitsu what she is like because he doesn’t truly know her. It’s a very good question. Alas, the response, which is not so good, is that whatever Kuro already knows about Kuromitsu (keep in mind, he knows NOTHING) should be more than enough to keep him searching. This is precisely the kind of evasive characterisation that cripples their believability throughout. Generally, the message seems to be ‘don’t ask and we won’t pretend we’ve thought this through’.

The supporting cast is even worse. Flat and dull, their role isn’t to appeal to the heart, but to make it beat that little bit faster. Hence, if they’re not dying gruesomely at the hands of the Red Imperial Army, they’re laying waste to their enemies with no more than a heavy brow and deadened eyes. Needless to say, they’re forgettable as soon as they exit the story.

Overall

I genuinely want to like Kurozuka since, like the more successful Claymore and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, it promises the best that Madhouse can buy. Sadly, Kurozuka is just more proof that being pretty to look at can’t compensate for having something worthwhile to say. I recommend this only to those looking for a mild distraction.

8.5/10 animation