Kuroko's Basketball: Last Game - Reviews

Alt title: Kuroko no Basket: Last Game

darkhappylama's avatar
Oct 20, 2017

Before I start expressing my feelings , I recommend you this anime movies list :

So here we are again with another Kuroko no Basket adaption. Anyone coming from the previous instalments will know just how good this show is. However, I heard a lot of criticism with it not being "Street Basketball" like the manga. Let me be straight here. I don't think it had that much of an effect on my enjoyment. They stuck to the manga material pretty well and only changed up a few things (Not being played outside being the main).

That being said I'm completely cool with this. I feel like it connects to the previous seasons a lot better. Needless to say, the unrealistic shots became so much more unrealistic. Not that it's a bad thing. In fact, it makes it so much more enjoyable by making it much harder to anticipate the moves they are going to perform.

Starting off with the entertainment value. Kuroko no Basket: Last Game brings back all the classic moves we have seen in previous seasons, slam dunks, phantom shots the whole shebang. Except that's not all. Last Game takes it a step further by evolving our much-beloved characters right before our eyes. Furthermore, it gives us the much-anticipated team up. Bringing all the Generation of Miracles back together for one final game. I mean what more could we want? Ah, that's right them actually working together instead of a solo victory. Let me tell you. The satisfaction and joy you feel when all these characters work together again are beyond words. I found myself with a grin on my face the whole movie. Anyone who has watched the previous seasons will probably get a similar reaction. Not to mention the amazing Engrish that is spoken in the anime. It really adds a sense of humour to it and keeps things interesting. So overall, I would give the entertainment value a 10/10.

Moving onto the story. It brings us back just after the Winter Games have finished. When the Generation of Miracles come across a new threat that doesn't just threaten them but the hole of Japanese basketball. Finally, our ultimate dream team has been formed to "mop the floor" with these newly found opponents. Like the previous seasons, the story follows Kuroko showing us more and more his way of playing basketball. Now with Kuroko, Kagami and the Generation of Miracles ready to fight. How can you expect them to lose? That's the kicker. These newly found opponents are beyond strong. Not only being the age of 18 they are on the same level as some NBA players. Forcing our much-beloved team to evolve even further. Throwing in some tear-jerking scenes as well as the great happiness you get from watching the story unfold. Overall, I would say the story was really well put together and follows the manga and previous seasons really well. However, some things just didn't sit comfortably with me and found it a bit dull at times. So because of this, I'm rating 8/10 for the story.

Let me be frank. The art was phenomenal. Especially the amount of detail that went into things like Kuroko's Ignite Pass. Not to mention when they enter the zone. The art style is very fluid so you can really see just how much the players are moving around in the match. However, I didn't like how much the art style changed the characters looks. Specifically the Generation of Miracles. You can really tell the difference. Although it makes up for this with the amazing amount of detail that went into the environment around the characters. Commonly what you would expect from a movie's budget. Overall I would rate the art a 9/10 simply because of the issues with the characters otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to bump it up to a 10.

As for the sound. This was probably one of the only things I was disappointed about. It really lowers down the quality in my opinion. There are a few good scenes where it sounds really good. However, for the most part, I felt the music was a bit dull and was just typical background music. Nothing that gets you really hyped. The exceptions being things like Akashi's theme. Sadly this lowered the quality of the film for me. I felt there were better soundtracks in the previous seasons. All of the other sound effects were amazing like the ball bouncing etc. So because of this, I'm going to give it an 8/10.

Moving onto the characters. it's just what you would expect after watching the previous seasons. Now that they all realise what it means to play for a team. Instead of themselves it really adds new aspects to the characters that weren't really touched upon in the previous seasons. It also does a good job of bringing back old and familiar characters while still making room to introduce some amazing new ones. We begin to see sides of these characters that we haven't seen before or at least not much of. Leading to some excellent character development. That you probably won't expect after 3 long seasons. It really begins to show just how much they all enjoy basketball and just how fun the sport really is. So because of this, I'm giving the character development a 10/10.

In short, Kuroko no Basket: Last Game is an entertaining anime to watch and most watch for any Kuroko no Basket fan. Keeping your thrilled throughout the movie. Don't forget to watch till after the credits as there is an extra scene. If you made it this far reading my review.. thanks for reading. Feel free to add me if you want to comment on my review or discuss anything.

chidouin's avatar
Jun 28, 2020

i still watch this even now in 2020. kuroko no basket is my favorite anime of all time, it's had a large personal effect on my life and as a huge fan, i believe this movie was the best way to finish the series. it brings back all the classic moves that we already know (slam dunks, phantom shots...), but in a more refined way. there's no lack of excitement, adrenaline and emotional moments, as always. the game itself was amazing, not as good as other knb games but i think this was more like a farewell gift for the fans than anything else; and tadatoshi didn't fail with that. the game was an excuse to have all the fanservice that we always wanted but wouldn't be possible in the anime. we finally seeing the Kagami playing with the GOM, Murasakibara really enjoying basketball, Aomine and Kise doing a double team, and not to mention Akashi's emperor eye with his iconic theme soundtrack, it gave me goosebumps. the film has everything we wanted, and that's why I believe the strongest point of the movie it's actually the emotional meaning behind it. the satisfaction you feel when seeing all these characters we love work together and getting allong are beyond words, and especially, the joy of seeing Kuroko, despite everything he went through on Teiko, playing with his old teammates again and being happy with it is extremely heartwarming. it also does a good job with the character development of old and familiar characters that we see sides of these characters that we haven't seen before or at least not much of. and they had the most important detail: the typical Grandrodeo as the main band, those small details that would cause a nostalgic feeling to any fan made me found myself a grin on my face the whole movie, except for the end, where i cried all my tears. Kagami is my favorite character and seeing him cry for the first time when saying goodbye to Kuroko was very hearttouching and heartbreaking. during the entire anime, we saw the growth and development of Kagami and Kuroko's friendship. we saw them go through bad and good times, we watched their growth, and the end of that era too. but as always, kuroko no basket never fails to give a feeling that it is not the end. it's just like what Kuroko said after their match against Rakuzan ー "this isn't the end of everything. it's more like it's just began. we can fight, with the basketball we love, many times over."

Pulu's avatar
Nov 30, 2017

This is such a sweet ending to this series!!

The match was very interesting and each player got their time to shine on the court. (Except for the not important back up players.:P) It was a intense and interesting match with the scores going back and forth for each team. The other team(the antagonist) is portrayed as a jerk and someone you would hate, so you just cant help but cheer for the MC and the team to kick his ass!

Of course, the most exciting part is that the Generation of Miracles are BACK together and playing together as a team! It was nice to see them work together again and bicker like old times. (plus Kagami)

I especially love the ending to how the duo parted. I cried a little at how touching it was. After everything they went through-the hardships, trainings, the joy of winning and the agony of losing-everything. They still parted because Kagami wanted to pursue his dreams and everyone supports him.

Overall, I absoluty love this movie!! It's a nice conclusion to this 3 seasons series and I think it ended nicely. It's been a great watch.<3

ReviewBonfire's avatar
Mar 6, 2021

Kuroko's Basketball Last Game

Accordingly, the final film for Kuroko no Basket also plays after the respective seasons, as soon as the generation of miracles has finally fought its way.

The characters are now confronted with an American team, which includes two other child prodigies. It has been made as antagonistic as it could have been done at all. In that sense, also a 1: 1 copy of "Hawk" from Hajime no Ippo as the main antagonist.

As a closing film, it wasn't bad, it had momentum and a subtle closing ceremony for the characters and their new paths.

However, this whole movie felt completely forced and like an oversized Ova episode. Just the fact that the final opponents were terribly meaningless and the whole reason for their duel was a badly provoked joke. You should either have chosen a different plot or at least somehow connected it to the series. There was another character over the course of the second season who was significantly better than a potential antagonist.

There is nothing to complain about in terms of optics and animation. The game had a certain dynamic, fluid animation and was good enough for the eyes.

And that has been the biggest problem with the whole Kuroko no Basket anime for the most part. It's subtle as a sports title and can entertain, but it's mostly just something for the eye.

The series ultimately lacked a lot of character, detail, and atmosphere. Nonetheless, you can definitely watch the anime as long as you let yourself be put off.

5.5/10 overall
Lvand's avatar
Jul 10, 2021

The Last Game is The Perfect Send Off!

The Last Game is everything you'd hope for in a Kuroko Basketball movie, a simple story with more of a focus on the "Generation of Miracles" or should I say "VoRpAL sWoRdS" banding together to defeat some of the most stereotyped characters you'd come to find here, yeah Americans are cocky and have every right to be in Basket Ball but they are flat-out depicted here as despicable assholes which kind of had me feeling like it was a bit wrong.

Anyways we get to see the Miracle Gen all in a more...positive light and we get to see them finally play ball together and face an actual challenge. The character development is great turning the once over confident Miracle Gen into more mature characters but I wasn't a big fan of the US players, I wish they would've went with the more respectful-rivalry direction instead of this.

The on-court action and animation is awesome and felt like it was done at a movie level quality, which was so cool to see from ma boi Daiki Aomine doing a Eastbay dunk alley-oop to Seijuurou Akashi showing off his crafty ball handling skills, it's fricken awesome! The sound effects are on point too and the music is great even though it didnt play the some of the awesome tracks from the show, overall this was a solid watch and sweet send off, heck this could even work as a standalone film!

+ Simple Story.

+ Awesome Animation.

+ Generation of Miracles Shine.

hope this helps...🤙