Kuroko's Basketball: Last Game

Alt title: Kuroko no Basket: Last Game

Add review
Tisarana's avatar
Oct 29, 2017

When it comes to basketball anime, there was a series which reigned supreme for more than a decade and that series was Takehiko Inoue's Slam Dunk. After its immense success several anime tried to follow in its footsteps but none came even close to Slam Dunk's popularity. Until Kuroko No Basuke that is, which didn't focus on basketball realistically, instead it was more something along the lines of 'basketball with superpowers'.

First things first: if you liked the Kuroko No Basuke anime, you'll like Last Game as well, since it is simply put 'more of the same'. This time the Generation of Miracles, plus Kuroko and Kagami, play on a team together and face an American street-ball team, that is of course super-strong. Some other characters, like the Seirin team, are also present, but in the end they don't get much attention and have hardly any impact on the plot.

Most of the movie focuses on the match where everyone more or less gets his moment, or to be more accurate his power-up, until the spotlight shifts to the next character. It's not like some of these scenes aren't epic (I especially liked Akashi's) but it still feels like they had a list with the characters' names that they were completing one after another. Ironically the only who hardly gets any attention is Kuroko; he's completely overshadowed (get it?) by the others and is just kinda there even though he is the main character.

As far as the enemy team goes they are mostly mean for the sake of being mean. You know almost nothing about them and it stays that way till the end.

Now, as mentioned Kuroko no Basuke was never about realism, but some of the stunts they pulled in last game just were so over-the-top and ridiculous it made me laugh. Some may enjoy this more than I do, but it reached a level of silliness here that is just too much for me. Aside from that, I didn't really understand why the movie changed the location of the match to a stadium instead of the street-ball court of the manga, it seemed pretty unnecessary.

The biggest highlight of the movie is probably the animation; it's great as expected from Production I.G., so even if the plot falls a little short, the visuals make up for it to a certain point.

All in all, if you liked the series you'll also like the movie, since it is not all that different. My personal expectations for it were higher, but it was still fine the way it turned out.

darkhappylama's avatar
Oct 20, 2017

Before I start expressing my feelings , I recommend you this anime movies list :

So here we are again with another Kuroko no Basket adaption. Anyone coming from the previous instalments will know just how good this show is. However, I heard a lot of criticism with it not being "Street Basketball" like the manga. Let me be straight here. I don't think it had that much of an effect on my enjoyment. They stuck to the manga material pretty well and only changed up a few things (Not being played outside being the main).

That being said I'm completely cool with this. I feel like it connects to the previous seasons a lot better. Needless to say, the unrealistic shots became so much more unrealistic. Not that it's a bad thing. In fact, it makes it so much more enjoyable by making it much harder to anticipate the moves they are going to perform.

Starting off with the entertainment value. Kuroko no Basket: Last Game brings back all the classic moves we have seen in previous seasons, slam dunks, phantom shots the whole shebang. Except that's not all. Last Game takes it a step further by evolving our much-beloved characters right before our eyes. Furthermore, it gives us the much-anticipated team up. Bringing all the Generation of Miracles back together for one final game. I mean what more could we want? Ah, that's right them actually working together instead of a solo victory. Let me tell you. The satisfaction and joy you feel when all these characters work together again are beyond words. I found myself with a grin on my face the whole movie. Anyone who has watched the previous seasons will probably get a similar reaction. Not to mention the amazing Engrish that is spoken in the anime. It really adds a sense of humour to it and keeps things interesting. So overall, I would give the entertainment value a 10/10.

Moving onto the story. It brings us back just after the Winter Games have finished. When the Generation of Miracles come across a new threat that doesn't just threaten them but the hole of Japanese basketball. Finally, our ultimate dream team has been formed to "mop the floor" with these newly found opponents. Like the previous seasons, the story follows Kuroko showing us more and more his way of playing basketball. Now with Kuroko, Kagami and the Generation of Miracles ready to fight. How can you expect them to lose? That's the kicker. These newly found opponents are beyond strong. Not only being the age of 18 they are on the same level as some NBA players. Forcing our much-beloved team to evolve even further. Throwing in some tear-jerking scenes as well as the great happiness you get from watching the story unfold. Overall, I would say the story was really well put together and follows the manga and previous seasons really well. However, some things just didn't sit comfortably with me and found it a bit dull at times. So because of this, I'm rating 8/10 for the story.

Let me be frank. The art was phenomenal. Especially the amount of detail that went into things like Kuroko's Ignite Pass. Not to mention when they enter the zone. The art style is very fluid so you can really see just how much the players are moving around in the match. However, I didn't like how much the art style changed the characters looks. Specifically the Generation of Miracles. You can really tell the difference. Although it makes up for this with the amazing amount of detail that went into the environment around the characters. Commonly what you would expect from a movie's budget. Overall I would rate the art a 9/10 simply because of the issues with the characters otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to bump it up to a 10.

As for the sound. This was probably one of the only things I was disappointed about. It really lowers down the quality in my opinion. There are a few good scenes where it sounds really good. However, for the most part, I felt the music was a bit dull and was just typical background music. Nothing that gets you really hyped. The exceptions being things like Akashi's theme. Sadly this lowered the quality of the film for me. I felt there were better soundtracks in the previous seasons. All of the other sound effects were amazing like the ball bouncing etc. So because of this, I'm going to give it an 8/10.

Moving onto the characters. it's just what you would expect after watching the previous seasons. Now that they all realise what it means to play for a team. Instead of themselves it really adds new aspects to the characters that weren't really touched upon in the previous seasons. It also does a good job of bringing back old and familiar characters while still making room to introduce some amazing new ones. We begin to see sides of these characters that we haven't seen before or at least not much of. Leading to some excellent character development. That you probably won't expect after 3 long seasons. It really begins to show just how much they all enjoy basketball and just how fun the sport really is. So because of this, I'm giving the character development a 10/10.

In short, Kuroko no Basket: Last Game is an entertaining anime to watch and most watch for any Kuroko no Basket fan. Keeping your thrilled throughout the movie. Don't forget to watch till after the credits as there is an extra scene. If you made it this far reading my review.. thanks for reading. Feel free to add me if you want to comment on my review or discuss anything.

crzyanime's avatar
Jun 22, 2018

Okay yes the art was a little different but I still loved it. I was on the edge of my seat cheering for vorpal swords. I was so excited after finding this! I finished the series and was looking around, then bam this awesome movie showed up. No joke though, I literally cried at the end. It was so emotional for me AGHH😭😭. After the long hours of binge watching, I got attached to this anime lol and the ending just killed my heart. Still one of the best movies for me though

ClubFoot's avatar
Oct 21, 2018

“Kuroko’s Basketball: Last Game” is, you know, the last game. Sometimes, there are meetings but there are farewells too. Sometimes, you’ve to get onto a new level to understand what’s making you stand in there on a stage. “Last Game” comes with a movie and one of the least anticipated after two years from various media who’ve notified it. But, the movie didn’t really fit me even though this is the one that still shows some intense or anything like “Kuroko’s Basketball” in general. But, nope. I don’t really think that this is one includes as a highly-rated anime on various websites of anime databases. Opinion is just an opinion; there is nothing you can deny in fact I choose of where I like it either don’t like this movie in the various views and opinions. And “Last Game” was also a conclusion of this basketball series by Tadatoshi Fujimaki.

I like “Kuroko’s Basketball” and besides, this is the most series I followed first after I’m into an anime. Initially, I watched a lot such as “Beelzebub,” “Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood,” “SKET Dance,” “Air Gear” “Katekyo Hitman Reborn,” and etc. From there, there are so many anime I’ve experienced in a lot since then. For me, “Kuroko’s Basketball” is the most yet memorable series than the others even though “Sword Art Online” and “Accel World” are my typical video games anime the first time I watch. And now, after all this time, “Last Game” came out with a closing series to end this basketball series. The plot is the most basic thing in this anime which tells about a foreign team comes to compete in Japan. Then, Jabberwock did things that didn’t respect all the athletics in Japan, especially all the basketball players. You guessed it, the Generation of Miracles gathered for the last time and played together to take that respect back. While this isn’t one of the most emotional matches in which there are some characters though that this is a match that gives sweet memories or so, like other series, this takes the cake although I like the introduction which immediately introduced directly in the early minutes. It’s quick from the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Jabberwock was led by Nash while Vorpal Swords, of course, was led by Akashi. This game also revealed a lot more of character developments compared to previous series such as Akashi with its original power of his Emperor Eye, Murasakibara who was more expending his energy because he had found a greater opponent than him, Kise’s perfect copy, Midorima’s three points, Kuroko and Kagami as a light and shadow. But, this isn’t the stage for both of them but this is the stage of everyone. There are so many characters in this movie about how their views on the match like Momoi with her happy crying, because they have looked back all, reunited like what they had before. On the other hand, you got your typical antagonist, Jabberwock which initially just a big-shout mouth suddenly fell triggered and enjoy the silence. Like various cliches, the antagonists in this film seem to be one-dimensional. The absence of a nice introduction seems to be just like an antagonist character whose quickly forgotten, and there is no definite development after the post-event. There is no reason or clear background of Nash’s own strength and relationships with other characters such as Silver which why it doesn’t exist. It exists, indeed, but it’s just pointless as a character. It would be better if they should be given some of the roles in order to improve the characters with each other in addition to focusing just on the initial characters of the previous series.

The artwork seems to be slightly downgraded in some of its details even though it’s only at least different from the TV series. It’s lighter in its design character and more likely to be different. It’s hard to say what the most parts of it but it’s so noticeable if you see it closely. Besides that, the visual is great like the TV series, the choreography, and others. Some fillers were existed when the game is in progress but not too pointless of why is there because there is a context. The soundtrack is great. It’s traditional and I prefer when they still stick with what’s on the TV series. It brings a tension in every scene, a perfect mix between a frame to frame and it’s sync in a brilliant way. Not too memorable when it comes to the credit song by GRANRODEO but it’s good. The voice actors have a phenomenal job in this and all of them have parts even the antagonist characters. You can also hear some classic Engrish like a subbed anime in general which sounds weird but funny when they try to speak in English.

The pace is fast but when the match takes place, it feels like being in a long time but that’s the main points of this film. We wanna see some intense and action in basketball. The introduction, like, immediately introduces the conflict. The main points in this film along with the whole series are it’s about separation, emotional, and a quite opening from beginning to end. Regardless, sometimes bitter to live it alone but you could conclude the ending whatever it would be. Whether it’s a hit or not, it depends on you whatever you feel. Sometimes, it kinda dulls honestly.

“Kuroko’s Basketball: Last Game” is actually not the one to be able to close the entire series. Although many fans hope that if they can participate in the national team so they can compete with other NBA teams or whatever they said, the movie isn’t a kind of cakes compared to the previous series but some unique elements are there. The antagonist is one of the major problems in this movie. They didn’t get many roles for their respective character and it was actually not too promising. If they were put more spotlight on them, the movie would be even more perfect. The movie is in a balanced mood; sometimes becomes dull and sometimes becomes too fast. The fast one isn’t too annoying but there is another impression if I remember it again. Bottom line, not the perfect one it can be a conclusion but “Last Game” is the last letter to Kagami.

Pulu's avatar
Nov 30, 2017

This is such a sweet ending to this series!!

The match was very interesting and each player got their time to shine on the court. (Except for the not important back up players.:P) It was a intense and interesting match with the scores going back and forth for each team. The other team(the antagonist) is portrayed as a jerk and someone you would hate, so you just cant help but cheer for the MC and the team to kick his ass!

Of course, the most exciting part is that the Generation of Miracles are BACK together and playing together as a team! It was nice to see them work together again and bicker like old times. (plus Kagami)

I especially love the ending to how the duo parted. I cried a little at how touching it was. After everything they went through-the hardships, trainings, the joy of winning and the agony of losing-everything. They still parted because Kagami wanted to pursue his dreams and everyone supports him.

Overall, I absoluty love this movie!! It's a nice conclusion to this 3 seasons series and I think it ended nicely. It's been a great watch.<3