Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai - Reviews

Alt title: The Beheading Cycle: The Blue Savant and the Nonsense Bearer

thegirlontheclouds's avatar
Dec 6, 2023

Just as the title suggests, at the end everything is nonesnse, for this series will shatter your every concept or belief of what the 'truth' within it, is. The first episodes are what you could call simple murder mistery and quite frankly a little bit boring. Not much is revealed about the characters and the mistery is solved in a pleasing, yet mundane way. Then, it is revealed that it was all nonesense, little details mattered more than the narrator thought, thus they revealed a whole new truth. An series that will mess with your concepts of truth and reality. "Where do the lies end and where does the truth begin?" - not a question you could easily answer in this case. A boring story at first and a mind-blowing, reality-bending masterpiece by the end.

6.5/10 characters
UmiYumi's avatar
May 28, 2020

Absolutely excellent anime. Likely the most underrated anime I've ever watched, and I watch quite a bit. If you don't mind heavy dialogue, then this is the perfect murder mystery for you. It's based on a novel, after all. Shaft nails the visuals as always. The plot twists are intense, and the last two episodes are killer. A slow burn that ends with a house fire. If you're looking for something similar to monogatari, you found it. If you're searching for that amazing anime nobody else has seen, your search is over. It sticks with you.

I'm not quite sure why this anime was so poorly received by fans, but to be fair I hadn't read the novels before watching.

Ryukami's avatar
Feb 17, 2018

A woman confined to an island invites geniuses to visit and spend time with her, but this time there is a murderer amongst them.

Not a good mystery show, there is mystery sure, but the audience is not given enough information to solve it (perhaps someone who has read/watched mystery stories before could) and the show is more like Monogatari series with 100% less combat and the same amount of dialogue, as a bonus Akio Watanabe designed the characters.

Thoughts

• Story is a simple murder mystery, but actually is not as it is revealed in the last episode
  • Animation is good and reminds one of Monogatari series
  • Sound is good
  • Audience is not told much about the characters, aside from why they were brought to the island
TLDR's avatar
Oct 29, 2022

Satisfying Conclusion?✔️
Emotional?❌
Actual Romance?❌
Actual Comedy?❌
Fanservice/Nudity?❌

What is this anime?
Murder mystery show. Rich girl invites geniuses from around the world to stay at her mansion, and one of them is murdered. The story follows one of the geniuses and her assistant in solving the case.

Did I enjoy it?
I'm not much of a mystery nut. If I was this would have a likely higher score. I foreshadowed some things right, and some things wrong. Some of the ways the murder was solved didn't make much sense or were unreasonable (the second locked room explanation). I was expecting a bigger "bang" for the big reveal, but it ended up with "Oh ok, this is what happened. Now to get on with life". Then it comes with an extra episode which explains even more of what happened on the island. While everything was very clever and interesting with some plot twists, it was slightly boring and lacked any pizzazz in the special moments. Another annoyance in the writing (that may just be me) was that much of what the characters say is never as-is. You have to interpret a lot of what some people say. Which is OK but normal people don't talk like that. If you love mystery though, go for it. It just wasn't for me.

5.8/10 overall