KonoSuba: An Explosion on this Wonderful World! - Reviews

Alt title: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo!

Misoony's avatar
Mar 28, 2024

I love Konosuba's humor, I'll admit that my humor is pretty immature, so this is the kind of anime I tend to like Lol. However, with this spin-off, I found myself getting pretty bored. I think the main reason for this is just the fact that the anime only focuses on Megumin, so without the whole group there, I didn't enjoy it as much. Not to say this anime is bad at all, it's still pretty funny and I'm glad I watched it, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped to.

Out of all the comedy anime I've watched, Konosuba and The Disatrous Life of Saiki K have remained my favorite, and this spinoff was still pretty funny. Megumin is a funny character, especially with her reckless explosions and the way she acts dramatically. This anime mostly focused on Megumin's past and the events that lead up to the original Konosuba. So the anime shows her at the magic academy and her friendship Yunyun and her family. It's mildly entertaining and it's nice to see her past. I did find it a tad bit boring, I think this is mostly because it wasn't as chaotic as the original Konosuba, but if you liked Konosuba, I'd still reccommend watching this because it's still funny and provides a good look into Megumin's backstory.

The animation and sound are alright. The animation was better than I was expecting it to be and I don't recall seeing any issues with the animation as I was watching. The animation was pretty smooth and I liked the colors/lighting of everything. I don't remember the sound being anything too memorable but it was still decent. So for animation and sound, it wasn't great but it was still realitively good.

If you're not a fan of Konosuba, I don't really recommend this. But if you do enjoy Konosuba and you are interested in seeing more of Megumin and other characters, then I'd recommend this. It's still decently funny.

6.5/10 story
6.5/10 sound
TheRogueNob's avatar
Jun 23, 2023

who wouldve prefered just being given the 3rd season a year early? Me that is for sure. its pretty simple if you need the good ole konosube world fix then watch it, its mostly alright. we already knew the majority of this story considering we had a whole movie for her and numerous flashbacks with with wiz and yunyun etc. so we all know why we had this season becasue of a certain allegedly unshowered folk. regardless the show is still mostly fun, and a glad to step back in.

that being said there was way to many of those pointless drama moments that would clearly amount to nothing. otherwise its a solid watch,

the animation sound and characters are all on par with the original konosube so nothing else of not to mention just glad for conisistency

Welp thats all ive got to say thanks for the read and have a good one!

ash63's avatar
Aug 13, 2023

I prefer the original konosuba with the kazuma party more, but it was also good, considering just a megumin spin off.

It actually adds more to the original series. It sums up Megumins story from how she became fascinated by explosion, her life in crimson demon village then her journy from there to axel city untill she meets kazuma and aqua. We get to see kazuma-aqua, darkness and many other old characters in the shadow every here and there minding their own business. Overall it was definately a good watch.

Recommeded for anyone who loved the first two seasons and want more of the konosuba world.

illSmith's avatar
Aug 2, 2023

I really love Konosuba so I'm obviously very biased but I really enjoyed this spinoff.

Generally, a good spinoff adds more lore to the original series and more depth to the characters, both of which this one does perfectly. In fact I'm going to rewatch Konosuba now because I know so much more about Megumin and her adventures that I will be seeing the series in more hilarious light.

Highly recommended if you have already seen the previous two seasons.

jstenneg's avatar
Jul 6, 2023

I love Konosuba, and this is a cute little prequel to tie us over somewhat til season 3.  It was funny though not as funny as the main series, but that more to do with Megumin's character.  If you enjoyed the main series definitely watch this.