Kokkoku: Moment by Moment - Reviews

RascaI's avatar
Mar 29, 2018

No, it's not paused. The show just does that sometimes.

Kokkoku is a failed concept. That's the gist of this review. You know all those old sonic games that they rushed to get out and piled on some gimmicky concept to get it done in time for the new hardware to come out as a launch title, and then released something ignored by quality control and what looked like something still in the beta stage?

Turn that into an anime, replace sonic characters with dull nobodies, make that gimmick stasis, and you have kokkoku.

Geno studio is a new group that was formed by old Manglobe members, so I had high hopes for it, but its first release was not impressive, unfortunately.

Kokkoku is a concept that isn't refined at all. We've seen the idea of stopping time show up in many anime, movies, video games, ect. So all they had to do was fully explore its capabilities in that concept in an entertainingly animated way, bringing new ideas to the table and making the concept of stasis a fitting one, maybe make it dark with some matching mood and music, make it kinda steins;gate-y.

They didn't. Instead, it's more like "Time stopping for dummies" with the most boring writing possible.

Instead of treating stasis like a cool sci-fi concept that can be dealt with in any number of ways and opens up possibilities for any number of events to take place in a single second, they treat it like a college lecture on fucking physics, and the most boring people ever are your teachers.

All the things you want to know about the show are on the backseat for all the stuff you don't care about. We spend line after line of boring dialogue trying to figure out exactly where these guardian things are coming from, what they are, how to avoid them, why we can stop time, why we can stop time, who we have to go save, why we have to save them, what's the villain doing now, what's this shiny rock that can stop time, what's my ancestry that led me to posess this goddamn rock.

We don't learn:

The extent of this time stopping, how much of the world is affected, how can it affect your mind, what are the jellyfish things, why time stopping exists in the first place, or how it can be used to create interesting situations.

There's villains and heroes. The villains have vague missions and turn out more anticlimactic than an abandoned mento coke bottle. Really there's only one, but i say villains counting the good-for-nothing characters that go absolutely nowhere that sorta kinda almost allign themselves with the big bad until they die at his hand. He's kind of a douche. We only learn why through a bit of out of place backsplaining so the only thing you need to know about him is he wants time all to himself and is willing to kill as many of MC in particular's closest relatives to get it.

MC is a boring girl with not a whole lot of personality, defining features, or realistic attributes, which is disappointing considering she's tied for most likable along with her grandpa. Enough about the characters (said the writers of kokkoku, rubber mallet in one hand script in the other), let's focus now on the animation.

If K-Project was soapy, shiny dishwater, this was dirty, unrefined dishwater in the animation, presentation, and atmosphere department. The "action" that's almost nonexistant takes a lot out of it, everything moving so janky like going off-model would be the end of the fucking world and using as little frames as budget will allow to get there. They also put a bad blur on certain things, and the guardians are all CGI.

This anime just looks trite. The only thing that looks cool is the way things are frozen in midair most of the time.

BUT IT SOUNDS AWESOME.

The Opening is one of my favorite openings of all time. In fact if creators just looked at the opening and listened to the soundtrack and tried to make an anime just based off that, I don't doubt it would have come out pretty decently. The soundtrack is like it came out of a much better anime.

The ending gets this anime just slightly above a score of bad. It explores a much-needed theme in a decent way but it ends up with a pretty anticlimactic payoff and the resolution of the story-wide problem is lame.

It just isn't worth it. Geno studio, let's hope you get it right next time.

Pulu's avatar
Mar 26, 2018

Okay, I've have a lot to see about this anime and I'm not sure where to start.

The plot setting was interesting. About Statis and time stopping which was cool plus the Heralds and even the MC's power. The plot was unique in my opinion and I quite like the MC and her grandfather a lot.

But I feel that the other side characters were not interesting enough. Like that woman who just wanted her family back, I get why she have a reason to change sides but I don't get why the other guy did. It felt like the side characters have no depth in them and just goes along with the situation. Same with the antagonist.

And that ending though......

Just what are the chances of her meeting the founder? It's just too much of a coincidence if you ask  me.....

No problems with the animation or sound. Just that the opening and ending was not too impressive in my opinion.

Overall, plot was great, the fights was interesting but the ending was not.

Still, I did enjoyed watching this and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys time-related anime.

Ryukami's avatar
Apr 4, 2018

Yukawa family gets trapped in the Stasis when they try to save Tsubasa and Makoto who have been kidnapped and held for ransom. Will they manage to save their family? How will they get out? And what are these creatures called Heralds/Handlers?

The show has only one real issue: How did the cult members get into the Stasis? This is not explained, they didn't know the spell and no Specters were shown entering their bodies (suppose their stone reacted to the activation of the Yukawa family stone, but this isn't shown or explained either).

The story is good, even though a lot is glossed over making it feel like this could/should have been a few episodes longer.

Animation is great, when the stopped world is in CG it's actually pretty impressive looking.

Sound is good, I thought it was okay but I've heard people praising the opening.

Characters are good, many want to use the Stasis for doing bad, some want to use it for good and a few want to get rid of it. The characters are glossed over too, personally would have preferred a final episode where the characters adjust to normal life and we get to see how they move on with life now that the Stasis has ended.

Vannie13's avatar
May 7, 2020

the opening was 100X better then that anime

ryanshowseason2's avatar
Aug 31, 2020

Huh? If you don't like drama or sci fi stay away. If dialog isn't your thing go watch dragon ball z.

There is nothing wrong with this show. The characters may be somewhat simple but they follow through, it all makes sense and their actions have impact. The story has a concise and satisfying end and the mystery...

Man it starts out inexplicable but the progression is top notch. You understand every concept eventually.  That's superb story telling.

I don't know why this isn't rated higher. It's a short but enjoyable ride through a single millisecond of time.