Kobato.

Add review
Rhaynebow's avatar
Dec 10, 2012

One of the most underrated animes EVER. After watching both seasons of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and full-knowingly getting my heart smashed into a million pieces watching the OVAs, my heart finally had some closure with this heartwarming tale of girl and her wish..

STORY: Like I said before, Kobato is the tale about a girl's wish. The title character Kobato Hanato is such a girl. Obviously not of this world, she is given the task of filling a bottle with "Konpeito" or candies, which represent the hearts of people. Her mentor, a stuffed dog named Iorogi which Kobato pronounces as "Ioryogi" is always by her side to make sure she stays on task...even if it means frying her like a piece of chicken! Kobato is a curious girl, of course, and soon finds herself volunteering at Yomogi Nursery. The story builds itself on that plot as Kobato tries to heal the hearts of people she meets.

But her journey isn't that simple. Cliche CLAMP. However, since Kobato doesn't involve so much heavy fantasy like TRC, and since it IS a shojo, Kobato's drama is delievered with real life situations. Yomogi Nursery for example is suffering from some severe debt problems. The employees who work there work extra jobs in attempt to pay the debt off, but it still isn't enough to even afford new toys for the kids. Plus, there are some persistant (albeit smokin' hot) debt collectors and sharks who frequent the nursery's premise. Making time for other things seems to be one of Kobato's main dramatic sources. Many of the hearts she heals involve characters who are overloaded with work and  no time for family.

Though that may sound boring for some, Kobato's pacing is able keep you interested. Because the drama deals with real life problems, it's more relatable to the viewers. Things such as the loss of a favorite tree or finding an abandoned cat can hit hard to home. This is a tearjerker series without the death of a favorite or endearing character (I'm talking to YOU Clannad..). Invest in some tissues as you continue to watch because those tears can sneak up on you. This IS CLAMP though, so the story WILL get darker and more depressing..just letting you know.

ANIMATION: I won't go TOO far in depth about the animation because this IS CLAMP we're talking about. The creators themselves stated that Kobato has a significantly different animation style than most works and they're right. For starters, the characters aren't their usual 20 heads high for a young adult. The hair is especially well animated and unique (have you SEEN Kobato's luscious locks??) and it doesn't have that stereotypical shojo look that usually drives me AWAY from the genre.

As usual, CLAMP succeeds in creating some of the most attractive looking men in anime..shoot, the WOMEN are downright gorgeous too!

SOUND: While the music in Kobato is no short of fantastic, I DO feel it was a bit repetitive. That MAY have been because I watched multiple episodes in single nights, but after awhile, Kobato's song and the children's song lost their emotional magic.

CHARACTERS: Definitely this series' strongest point. While Kobato may have some Mary Sue-ish traits, like her purity and inability to be hated unless you're an a**hole, she delivers this in a way..hm..in a way that..makes it seem like we'd WANT her to be real. Seriously, wouldn't the world be SO much better if we had people like Kobato, going out of their way to returns our umbrellas or offering to sing our children to sleep? She's the kind of person we'd want to be friends with. She is impossible to hate and for all the good reasons.

..and then we have Fujimoto. Kobato's polar opposite colleague at the Nursery. Makes you wonder why he doesn't scare the children with that negative aura around him. As we progress into the series, though, we see that he has a pretty dang good reason to have a pole up his behind. Each episode seems to show Fujimoto working a different sidejob in order to pay off the nursery's debt. On top of that, the guy's studying in college as a law major. Talk about a heavy load (BTW, he does the laundry too).

Among other characters are the people Kobato has to and eventually DOES heal. With TRC being the only CLAMP series I ever watched, I'm guessing that a good number of these characters are from other CLAMP works. Most of these people, while they may be introduced as only important to a single episode, actually reappear and play a significant role in the series as it progresses, such as Fujimoto's friend Domoto who takes a liking to Kobato's positive nature.

OVERALLEasily the most heartwarming anime series. Not as tissue-depleting as Clannad or Elfen Lied, but enough to make your eyes at least a bit glossy. The characters are charming and attractive, the story keeps your peaked and wondering if Kobato will get her wish, and the animation is soft. On top of that, the opening theme song is one of the most uplifting "good morning" songs you could ever wanna achieve your dreams with. Seriously guys, it's one of the best you'll ever see and will leave you smiling at the end.

Jestershock's avatar
Jun 25, 2011

I love this show! I was surprised by how much I was sucked in to this sweet, seemingly simple story. Near the end, I was eagerly anticipating each episode, really looking forward to seeing how it would all work out.

Kobato herself is the type of anime character I always end up cheering for. She's sweet, naive, a bit clumsy and dumb, but so very hard working and determined to make everyone around her happy. I have to say her character design is one of the most lovely I've seen in the past year, and the voice actress delivers so much personality, she's almost instantly endearing. She easily carries the whole show, and those few times when the story isn't focusing on her, I found myself asking, "But where's Kobato?"

Although there's a few storylines going on over the course of the show, the 24 episodes give it time to take everything at a comfortable pace. Taken in whole, the story being told is big, but it's never overwhelming. Plenty of time is given to flesh out the supporting cast, and there's even a few times when characters from other anime peek in to add a bit of flavor. (Chobits fans will enjoy seeing lots of characters they've met before, and there's an entire episode where the Tsubasa gang drops in just to crash for a while.) The overall mythos concerning Kobato's mission, Iorgi and the wish of where she wants to go remains a bit hazy right up to the very end, and I was actually surprised by some of the answers. Even though not everything is spelled out in the end, I still felt completely satisfied with the way the show came to a close. In fact, I even cryed a little, because I'm a big softy pushover.

The show isn't perfect, but I give it an enthusiastic five stars and will be buying the DVDs when they become available. Warm up your "Awwww", give it a watch, and be charmed.

genesic123's avatar
Aug 10, 2013

A decent Shoujo.

It basically this girl sent to the human world to fix problems and collect "healed hearts" to get her wish granted.

Her kindness and innocence will rub off you.

The way she gets hearts is simple and expected form the genre.Simple one- off sloutions where she sits down and talks sense into those she helps.

Every body in the show may seem too naive and innocient for their own good, but there is some meaninigful tension for the show.

The characters you should look out for is Fujimoto.A contrast for kobato and where most of the conflist comes from.Her toy pet buddy also serves to give most of the humor.

The most impressive aspect of the show is her song.Which allows to define her as a character.

ProjectBlackRai's avatar
Dec 19, 2011

Hello, again, all.

This time it's a review about Kobato. All-in-all, Kobato is one of those surprising animes you never thought would be as good as it is. Created by Clamp, the same ones who did "Chobits," you can see their animation style throughout the series. For those of you that have seen Chobits, you'll recognize some familar scenery and faces, though one anime has nothing to do with the other. I digest, however. Let's get down to it, shall we?

The story was well thought out and progressive. Sent to Earth to fulfill a task, Kobato is charged with mending the hearts of enough people and collecting enough "kompeto" in her jar to fill it, thereby having her wish granted. Throughout her journey, she is beset by numerous challenges and hardships but smiles throughout them and thinks only of others' happiness. That being said, I don't care how much of a "badass" you think you are, this will have you either crying or on the verge of tears several times over.

As I mentioned previously, the animation style is the same as Chobits. You see Clamp's style throughout the series. There are some things that could have been done better but the animation is, overall, excellent. It's expressive, purposeful and artistic. You see some familiar faces and places since it's easier for them to reuse what they have done already but that's all ancillary stuff.

This is the one catagory where I can find no fault. The music was superb is every respect and fit perfectly. Happy when it needed to be, sad when it needed to be. There was nothing unnecessary. If you have the opportunity to get the soundtrack, I would suggest you do so.

The characters were near-perfect for their roles. For what they were, as far as the story was concerned, each filled his, or her, role as they should have. For instance, the heroine of the story actually acted the way she was supposed to. There was none of that awkward lovey stuff from the main male character and the "big sister" role of the female secondary characters was portrayed well.

Overall

My overall score was calculated by adding all the sub-scores and dividing by the number of sub-score catagories (4).

My advice? Watch it. Unless you don't like the genre, in which case I can hardly fault you for not watching it. But you should watch it. ... Are you watching it yet?

SaoriJade's avatar
Jul 22, 2011

【こばと。・ Kobato.】

I was surprised by how good this underrated anime actually was! I was pretty sucked into it around the end, which was what really got me. It's such a sweet anime. Kobato is such a charming character, and I love love love that song she sings.

Though a couple things I'm dissapointed for is that I wish they went more in depth about Kobato's past, which would have made things more interesting. I wanted to know a little more about Kohaku as well.

I would totally recommend this anime though, especially if you're a fan of sweet happy animes.

xo Saori