Kiznaiver

Add review
MockingEntropy's avatar
Jun 28, 2016

That's a nice try for Trigger. They showed they are talented enough to build an emotional story with a psychological value and without excess of cliché, even if there is a little of that. A promising premise based upon a collective sharing of pain between 6 characters, because of a mysterious experiment which linked them. Well on, the 6 ones were not chosen at random, and their differences is a prerequisite for the sake of the experience. The show turns around an understanding of other one to move forward. Over time, their ordeal becomes more complex. At the beginning, they underwent only physical wounds, but afterward, we shall come to heart pain and to the detection of certain feelings, activated by events and revelations.

Notation :

[Story part : 6/10]

-Pacing is correct. (1/2)

-A well-driven plot for a 12 episodes show. (1/2)

-Light complexity. There is nothing really difficult to understand, it lacks of depth. (0.5/2)

-Regarding Plausibility, it's an interesting perspective for a governmental experiment. (1.5/2)

-A decent conclusion if S2 is planned. Bad if not. (1/2)

.Bonus : Very good premise. +1

[Animation part : 7/10]

-Very good production value. (1.5/2)

-Good visual effects. (1/2)

-A particulary good character design overall (Special mention to Nori, Katsuhira and Hisomu). (1.5/2)

-Well-done staging, better than I thought. (2/2)

-Very beautiful backgrounds, sometimes. (1/2)

[Sound part : 6/10]

-High quality sound effects. (2/3)

-Concerning the soundtrack, it's forgettable but it deserves to be listened again to be sure. (1.5/3)

-Good voice acting. (2/3)

-BGM is okay, but no immersion. (0.5/1)

[Characters part : 5.5/10]

-Characters presence is well-managed. (1.5/2)

-A high presence of a collective catharsis. (1.5/2)

-Character development is here as expected. (1/2)

-About characters personality, there are two names to keep ni mind : Noriko Sonozaki and Katsuhira Agata. They are interesting. The others are cliche and empty. (1/2)

-Backdrop is overblown.... (0.5/2)

[Miscellaneous part ( doesn't count in the notation ) : 6/10]

.Rewatchability questionable. (1/3)

.Memorable OP and ED. (1/1)

.It was an enjoyment to watch (4/6)

OVERALL : 6/10.

5.5/10 characters
Foxxin's avatar
Jul 23, 2016

So I noticed previous reviews are saying basically the same thing but while this show might not seem like much, give it a chance. It being a Trigger title I started it thinking itd just be a way to waste some time, and besides the interesting plot device of sharing pain, it all seemed to meet expectations for the first few episodes. But I stuck with it and I was really glad I did.

I understand many will be turned off by the stereotypical characters, but they're done purposefully t create bigger differences between the seven people that share this bond, and later down the road things only get more serious.

RingoStarr1991's avatar
Apr 22, 2016

***THIS IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW***

With Studio Trigger gradually making a name for its self in the anime industry, I have come to respect their works. Kill La Kill was a visual and audio feast for the eyes and ears while Little Witch Academia was one of the most perfect short films I had ever seen. I was expecting a lot from Kiznaiver when I heard of its existence; did it live up to my hype?

Story: 3/10

The plot (and how it is presented to the watchers) is one of the tools that a content creator has at their disposal for telling a compelling and complete story. Other things like audio and visual elements help the overall package of a movie/show but the plot is usually an important part of the puzzle. Kiznaiver unfortunately fell too close to the Kill La Kill camp when it came to its plot coherentness. It is obvious that Trigger wanted to make a character development driven show since the over-arching plot does a very poor job of connecting the dots. Why things happen and the “how” leading up to key events in this show are not really driven by plot elements; they are almost entirely character driven “through the power of love/friendship” (kind of like Interstellar). I really cannot give this part of the show any higher than 3/10 due to how the plot was presented. If the lack of story driven elements did not bother you in Kill La Kill then it won't bother you here.

Animation: 9.8/10

There are 3 great things about the animation in this show. The first was the background architecture and general visual aesthetics. This is a thing that when done really well it makes you really appreciate the creative minds behind the show. The buildings (and bridge), character clothes, and greenery were so amazing that each frame of animation could be a pretty decent background picture. It's obvious that they wanted to flaunt their stuff in this show; and they did. The second great visual thing Trigger accomplished in this show was something that was done really well in Kill La Kill; fluid scenes. The animation in general just flows really well in almost all situations. Fighting, walking, running, and standing conversation scenes just ooze with detail whether it is in motion or facial detail. The last great thing that this show flaunted was the character models. Yes some of the characters look like they were straight up ripped from other Trigger shows but they look great in this show too. The females were super cute and the males were believable. The voice support for each character helped make them more believable on screen but we will get to that in the sound part.

Also wanted to point out that the lighting (in all conditions) was amazing. Freaking amazing lighting.

Overall it was an amazing visual performance from start to finish.

Sound: 9/10

I don't normally comment on the opening/ending songs but I have to give props to the opening song by Boom Boom Satellites. It somehow fits in perfectly with the vibe of the show; I cannot really describe it. Onto the audio elements actually in the show, one reason why I am rating this section so highly is because the performance from the voice actors is absolutely out of the park. Each character has an extremely well done performance behind the microphone. They just fit in so well; I really do not know how else to describe it. Music used during the show was pretty good and it fit in when needed.

Characters: 9.5/10

This is what will make or break the show for a lot of watchers. If you do not like the cast after the first two episodes then you need to drop the show because the characters are the lifeblood of this show. There isn't a deep story being told in the background; it is literally the forming of the friendship between these strangers. I am rating this section so high because of how awesome the character interactions were in the entire show's running. It felt so tangible and fluid that I was honestly taken aback at first (especially since it is so good even early on in the first episode). Each character has a good amount of growth and towards the end you will start to either love or get pissed off at certain characters depending on who you are aligning with.

Overall: 7.8/10

I was worried that I was going to go too fanboyism on this review but after averaging all the components together, 7.8/10 feels just about right. The show did everything correct (even above and beyond on some elements) except falling flat on the “deep” plot that I was hoping would be present. If you want an amazing character driven show about strangers becoming friends that also incorporates some of the best visual and audio elements then this is absolutely a show for you. Trigger is getting better and better so you better watch out. I honestly cannot wait for the newly announced Little Witch Academia TV series to come out. It is going to be so freaking lit.

Enjoyment: 9.8/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

9.8/10 animation
9.5/10 characters
Drainakon's avatar
Apr 23, 2016

1st impressions (1st-2nd episodes):
Blunt protagonist, being exploited for something he has that is unique to him.
Basic character archetypes including the muscle-man, the childhood friend, the airhead, the snob etc.
Characters have nothing in common (appart from being shallow), but now they are connected with some sort of scientific mumbo-jumbo, according to which they now share pain.
Animation is nice, but many other anime have nice animation.
Voice acting is good, music and sd basic.
Story-wise, makes no sense to me. Supposedly everything happens in order to find peace, that is what is explaned to us (through exposition), and for the mc to recollect something he lost. Everything seems to surround the fact that the mc is unable to feel pain. Many will be thrilled with the concept, but it is nothing more than an empty scenario to me with no depth, only edge and mature-wannabe thinking.
Overall impression(complete watch): The theme of this show, although interesting as a concept, is shown to have, what I'd regard as, a weak excecution. It seems to me that all this pain share-method is nothing but a plot device that is used as an excuse to bond the team of the main cast, quite forcefully I may say.
The characters, although they clearly have personalities of their own, they are not being fleshed out as much as I'd like to, and many times seem quite shallow with their reasonings.
The ending wasn't properly addressed, felt rushed and out of place completely, regarding the series of events that led to that point, although the complete story was a bit of a trainreck as a whole.
Verdict: One of those anime, that will be regarded as a top notch shows, but in reality it is nothing than one mediocrity, being presented in a silver plate.

4.5/10 overall
exezz's avatar
Jul 10, 2016

I was somehow bearing with it, because opening from BOOM BOOM SATELLITES used to be a code for epic. I was patiently waiting for the moment when this is going to turn awesome, because I had a feeling when is the setup so artificial and unnatural - ergo chars are some sort of chosen ones, like from Mirai Nikki, that one was awesome and some unknown testing technology, that was built for greater good of humanity -- i dont know why it felt so Neon Genesis Evangelion, sharing pain and shit. I was decieved by good looks of the whole damn thing from distance.

First thing - its not relaxing, entertaining or somehow educating. Story is bland and characters are bland AND annoying. The motive of this series is fundamentally wrong. If the author cant explain HOW it works, they should at least explain WHY it works. They didnt explain either, because i dont take "for brighter future" as legit reason. This kind of tech would be ethically legit to test ... no man, not even on death sentencees in prisons.

I am really embarassed where the sci fi genre is heading. All positive credits im addresing to this series belong to the opening sequel.