Kiss Him, Not Me - Reviews

Alt title: Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

findingroses's avatar
Nov 11, 2016

I found this anime very funny, relatable and entertaining, but I am surprised that none of the previous reviews have mentioned anything bad about it.

That is not to say that this is a bad anime. This anime follows the life of fujoshi Kae Serinuma who is more than happy watching the boys around her interact with each other rather than getting involved in a romantic relationship herself. Her love for the various 'ships' that she has created within her school is very funny. In the first episode, Serinuma is overweight, however when one of her favourite anime characters dies, she dissapears from school only to return some time later; slim and beautiful. While this was very comical, and most can relate to the utter loss she feels at the death of her favourite character, I found that the fact she only became a love interest (to some of the characters) after this transformation was somewhat disappointing. Now, I know that the characters reflect back and see their naivety, but I'm sure there will be viewers who get angry at the beginning of the series, and won't watch through until this happens. The characters slowly reflect on what it is that they like about her, that is to say other than her looks, which is good, but how she is portrayed when she is overweight vs. how she is portrayed when she is slim may make some people uncomfortable.

Please don't begrudge me for writing this, it is just an opinion, and I just think that there are some people that will base their views of this anime soley on the fact that it suggests 'only skinny people can be attractive'. I enjoyed this anime regardless of this implication, but some people won't.

Overall, this anime is undoubtable very funny and I enjoyed it, despite the cringe-worthy moments (so much second-hand embarrassment!) and loved learning about each of the characters, their motivations and backstories.

jguan's avatar
Jan 3, 2017

This anime has a great start and it was super funny but after a while the plot got way too repetitive. It is your typical anime of all the guys going for one girl. The ending in my opinion was frustrating but for some it works. I am more of the "official couple" type so this anime just did not give me that kind of satisfaction. If you are looking for a fun anime that isn't serious in plot, this is the anime for you. If you are more like me who prefers couple development, I'm not sure if you will enjoy this.

Drastica's avatar
Nov 5, 2016

I love this show so much, but I do have a complaint about it's page on this site. Nishina Shima is listed as a "secondary character" and that makes absolutely no sense if you've seen all the current episodes. Honestly you should be able to figure out that she's one of the main cast just by watching the opening and ending themes. Lumping Nishina in with A-chan is completely ridiculous, considering the vast difference in screen time and involvement in the narrative. A misrepresentation of the cast is something I consider to be important to the community since the information page should be as accurate as possible.

Bubblebishie's avatar
Oct 9, 2016

This anime resembles my life XD ...  I can't help but ship boys and this to watch was so funny , I like where the story is heading , the characters have good characteristics. .. the main character gets depressed after her favourite anime character dies ( I know that pain haha ) loses a lot of weight and a group of boys become very interested in her ( they were friendly with her to begin with ) but she is not interested.  No she begins to pair them up in her head ( which Is what I do anyway haha ) ..... every episode so far has be rather comical

Vorosh's avatar
Aug 3, 2018

You ever want to pull the covers over your head, cry, and it make everything better? After locking yourself in your room for a week, you magically lose all extra fat, your skin becomes flawless, and your hair gains a full body bounce. All the guys who where picking on you last week now all are drooling over you and because your "beautiful" everyone who was picking on you now will sit there and listen to you talk about anime for hours just so they can look at you? Than this is the anime for you, it's pandering trash at it's finest and as long as you understand that and are looking for something in that vein than your in for a real treat.

-First you need to stop pertending this is a real show, there is no plot or actual characters or good animation, or any direction, there is nothing, stuff happens and than it is over. Brain's Base barily put any effort into Kiss Him, Not Me so throw any idea of quality out the window because they did.

-After that is out of the way, it is time to play GUESS... THAT... HERO!!!!! yes you at home can win fabulous prizes by guessing your favorite My Hero Academia character. Basically every character in the dub is voiced by someone off My Hero Academia and it is just great hearing the cast of MHA be as shallow as you can think, the voices are all very noticable and none of them really try to change it up at all. It might be kinda hard to point out some of the class 1-B voices from MHA but the class 1-A voices should be pretty obvious for most MHA fans.

-Finally you have to summon out your inner anime trash panda and accept that on some level you love what Kae is doing to these jerks. She's just stringing along all of her ex-bullies forcing them to listen to how they will never take the place of her anime crushs.

Check it out if your into dumb blah harem shows, as long as you follow these simple steps you'll have a pretty fun time with what otherwise is a completely forgetable lazy boring show about nothing.