Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo - Reviews

trashcan007's avatar
Nov 16, 2023

This one is considered a classic, but honestly, it is just above average.

The good:

Kindaichi is pretty cool and intelligent, just pervy and simp-y sometimes.

Some of the murder cases are very intriguing and puzzley. Others are over the top unbelievable or unsolvable without certain unrevealed info (similar to Detective Conan- Case Closed). I don't mind that necessarily, just know that you will not be able to solve everything yourself.

I do like how Kindachi sometimes makes mistakes with his theories- I find that realistic aspect appealing in a detective anime.

The bad:

The main problem with this series is that it doesn't have an overarching plot. It is largely episodical- and somewhat slow at that. Every 3 episodes another murder case gets solved.

I also did not notice any significant progression with Kindaichi. There is very little character development. There are no deep secondary characters.

Another problem that I had was that almost every murderer got an "sympathy bath" after committing very calculated gruesome acts. Some of these people were just flat out evil psychopaths and they are almost always framed as emotionally-troubled… hell damn-near victims. They also almost always try to escape, kill someone else, or commit suicide after being exposed.

—--------------

If you are really into mysteries, and want to see logical puzzles get resolved with little care for character development or an overarching plot, you'll like this one. For me, it was just a little above average. 6/10.

A better, less-known anime that I would recommend would be: Detective School Q

Todeku66's avatar
Sep 3, 2021

This is a good anime to watch. The manga is also really great. The style is amazing and everything about it. I can't see how the ending to the russian doll muder case ends. I'm on a cliffhanger and i'm dying to know who the culprit is.