Kid Icarus - Reviews

Alt title: Shin Hikari Shinwa: Palutena no Kagami

AvoChan's avatar
Mar 27, 2023

Kid Icarus is a series of 3 minute shorts based off the Video Game franchise of the same name. They all released on the Nintendo Video Player in 2012 to help market and push sales of the 3DS game, Kid Icarus: Uprising. It consists of 3 different stories.

Thanatos Rising, the first of the bunch, was released on the 8th of March 2012 and animated by Production I.G. It follows the angel Pit on his mission to save a human village from the God of Death (Thanatos) and a hijacked Trojan Horse.

Medusa's Revenge, the second short, was released on the 16th of March 2012 and was animated by STUDIO4°C. It takes place right before Pit engages in a battle against Medusa, whom is wreaking havoc over a town of humans.

Palutena's Revolting Dinner, the third and final short, was released on the 19th of March 2012 and was animated by Shaft. Palutena takes the lead this time and is preparing dinner when suddenly the vegetables become alive and run amok.

Time to review

If you're reading this, then the Wii U and 3DS eShops are both closed. To commemorate this end of an era, I figured I'd sit back, download some final games and updates and watch these shorts I've been meaning to get to.

Seeing as they are very short, being only 18 minutes in total, I'll be quick. This short series is nothing too amazing. It won't change your life or teach you a new life skill, but I'd still recommend you take a look. These shorts will introduce you to the world of Kid Icarus, a hidden gem of a franchise. I'd highly recommend you check out the games, especially Uprising, which these shorts were designed to market.

While this series may not be anything to write home about, the 3rd short, animated by Shaft, is actually pretty decent. Not only is its animation gorgeous, but the voice acting and story were very enjoyable. I'd love a full-fledged Kid Icarus anime animated by Shaft.

Overall, Kid Icarus is a neat little package that any wannabe Kid Icarus fan should watch. The 3rd short is proof that a full series would work really well. Maybe one day...

I give 'Kid Icarus' a 4/10

Thanks for reading and I hope you found this helpful!

fenrisilver's avatar
Mar 19, 2012

I was able to catch this three parter 3D "Anime" on the Nintendo Video program on my 3DS (where as far as I can tell it was intended to be released as an exclusive). Now while I've never been too impressed by the movies Nintendo Video has to offer or how limited the releases that it's content gets, somehow I was able to see all three episodes (and it's nice to finally see something Video Game related on a service provided by Nintendo).

This "Anime" was of course made in promotion of Kid Icarus: Uprising, an upcoming action game set to be released on the 3DS. The last time we saw a Kid Icarus game was Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters in 1991 on the Gameboy, which was a sequel to the 1986 Kid Icarus game for the Nintendo Entertainment system. Of course the main character Pit did appear in Super Smash Bros. Braw;

But enough history for now.

The story is simple enough. The God of Death Thanatos has hijacked a Trojan horse like vehicle and it is up to Pit (being aided by the Goddess Palutena). The Anime is only 9 minutes long and spoiling the plot really isn't worth it. But I find myself questioning why Nintendo believes the God of Death is an eccentic fat man with a skull on top of his head. As weird as Thanatos is, he is sort of funny. Speaking of funny, there are a few jokes worth mentioning, namely the "Thanatos's Blog" joke and when Thanatos screams "RAAAAGE QUIIIIT!" in a little epilogue at the end.

The real point of watching it is the Animation. It's decent, considering it's meant to watched on a 3DS screen. Although I don't remember ever being totally impressed by any 3D effects. But even without 3D the animation is decent, and definitely stands out from what else Nintendo Video has released.

All in all, this is a short time waster that's worth seeing on the 3DS for the animation and quirkiness. But if you don't have a 3DS I wouldn't suggest looking for videos of the episodes online, especially if they've been made by pointing a camera at a 3DS screen.

Jare's avatar
Mar 18, 2012

I stumbled upon this 3-minute/3-episode-short "anime" on the home page, hoping it would be one of those animes that I randomly find and turn out to be quite worthwhile. Sadly, I was wrong.

The main plot is the God of Death, A.K.A. Thanatos, some flamboyant monster with a talking skull on top of his real head, is on a rampage to destroy a city or two. It's up to the protagonist, Pit, to stop him. Pit is aided by the Power of Flight, which is granted to him by a goddess. Sounds like a typical action/fantasy anime, yes? I guess that's why I didn't really like it too much.

However, the only reason I actually gave Kid Icarus: Thanatos Rising a rating higher than 1 is because there were a few jokes I actually found funny. The "blog" & "flip flops" joke made me chuckle. And at the end, Thanatos screams "raaaage quit!"

Anyway, I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone. Not unless they like this sort of.. fantasy/action mix. Oh and, the English dub voice actors sound similar to Pokemon's. Plus, they both have some lame jokes that are bound to make you giggle, so I guess I'd recommend this to anyone who likes Pokemon.

2.5/10 overall