Kengan Ashura - Reviews

redmind's avatar
Aug 22, 2019

Kengan Ashura provides an interesting tale of bloodsport to fix business disputes. It's your usual high stakes fighting anime, but the animation is flawless and they do a decent job of fleshing out the characters. They aren't the mindless meat puppets that just fight to spill blood. The pacing is on par with the story that is being told. We see a number of matches being fought and also a decent exposition of the plot, without it feeling rushed.

The first season is a built up to the second seaon, in which we'll get to see more awesome fight scenes and a bit of drama.

Going in I didn't have high expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'd recommend this one if you're a fan of fighting, blood sport and hunky bulky dudes beating the shit out of each other.

Halex's avatar
Dec 26, 2019

This show is quite overhyped, even for people who love this type of tournament brutal fighting shows. It seems like a tone down remake of Baki, but lacking the character's motivations to fight, the ruthlessness, raw violence, and the weirdness and extremes of Baki's characters. I strongly recommend you watch Baki instead of this show if you want to enjoy something good.

This story is non-existent, just a lame excuse to get characters to fight in a tournament. There is no character development, all characters that survive remain exactly the same. The animation is lame for a show that relies heavily on the rule of cool, you would think that using CGI will allow them to create better action sequences, but they don't utilize the advantage they have through CGI for that, the characters barely move in a 3d environment and the camera remains largely static, so all we have left are awkward body movement and unrealistic bloody scenes. There is no message, no hidden insight, and the entertaining value is average at best.

The sound effects & music are quite good and appropriate for this kind of show.

Overall, I rather recommend you watch the original from which this show is inspired, Baki, even though the animation is from 2001, is still superior to this show (by the way, the 2018 Baki is actually the 3rd season, the show starts in 2001).

The dub is ok too.

loigia4677's avatar
Nov 20, 2019

Very mild spoilers!!!

I cant be bothered to type properly so i bullet pointed them

• First of all, its in mostly cgi so plz dont get dishearted by it and just watch it its really good!
  • nice opening and ending
  • an abrupt ending but theres a season 2 which is better
  • awesome action scenes
  • the story line maybe slow but the action scenes and drama fill that so it's more interesting
  • great plot twists
  • makes you feel the hype of the crowd through ur screen somehow and u get excited too
  • at the end ur gonna be like "Gawd damn, that was great!"

Im the type of anime watcher where i take what is given and just enjoy the ride, so this is from my point of view. U may or may not have the same experine with me, it's all down to personal preferences and how u can adapt.