Kaze no Matasaburou (2016) - Reviews

vudujuju's avatar
Feb 7, 2021

If you suffer with insomnia, this may be the short for you! It was effective for eatmerindou.

Animations of everyday actions are appealing when they're put into a new perspective because of the attention to detail. Miyazaki, for example, has been praised for this sort of style. On the other hand, minor actions slowed down to glacial speed are somehow both sleep-inducing and frustration-igniting. And that's this anime.

When I say "nothing happens" in this anime, I am not merely complaining about a lack of plot in a slice of life anime. I'm saying that no character, animation, music, or ANY ELEMENT of this show contributed to my emotions besides boredom. The characters have non-personalities. The art and animation, while not ugly, is extremely bland. The facial expressions of the characters range from :o to o__o. And the music is the sort that I would hear in a slightly-above-average flash game.

If I were to scrounge up one other emotion I felt during this show it would be confusion. Perhaps the Japanese audience would be more familiar with the original short story and film, but I found the half-human half-animal setting very bizarre and unnecessary. I would understand the presence of animals if the show presented some Aesopic message, but that didn't seem to be the case. The story seemed to have very little relevance to the animal aspect of the characters.

The overwhelming boredom and mild confusion added up to an essentially worthless experience.

Halex's avatar
Feb 8, 2020

"Kaze no Matasaburō is a 1940 Japanese fantasy family drama, based on Kenji Miyazawa's 1934 short story of the same name." -Wikipedia

This short OVA has excellent animation in a Studio Ghibli look-alike style and feel. The story is just a simple slice-of-life moment but remains entertaining due to engaging animation and music, this is really what sets the tone for the show and what makes it worth watching.

I'm not fond of slice-of-life but I still enjoy this one, so I would recommend to anyone who wants something simple and calm to watch.