Kanon (2006)

Kanon (2006)
Add review
viveknair1997's avatar
Dec 19, 2017

One thing you'd notice while and after watching this anime is that the storyline and characters are almost painfully similar to those in Clannad, with some changes in the situations. That being said, Clannad fans, you would probably not get the same amount of feels as you did for Clannad.

7.5/10 characters
Illusion123chan's avatar
Dec 17, 2017

I finished this show back in 2008 but i don't know why i rewatched this and i can say, i got the same emotions i got back then.

Story: Now this is what surprised me most in this show, i tryed to predict a lot of things in this show but i couldn't, it always left me without a word and i would just think can this be more perfect.Last couple episodes got me hooked up on this anime even more, plot twist was brilliant. 10/10

Art: Art is beautifull without a doubt, character design, backgrounds, town, everything in this anime was perfect. 10/10

Sound: Now sound is what i give 8/10 cause they could put more music in some scenes that feelt like they needed some music to bring out more emotions.And also voice acting is great.

Character: This is best thing in this anime. Yuuichi, always cherfull,friendly, take quite time to adapt to people he talked in past. Bringing his soft side as story develops is jack pot.
Tsukimiya Ayu, also known as Ayu Ayu :) small energetic cute girl, girl that loves taiyaki. Mysterious, she bumps every morning in main protagonist of series. And when they 2 colide you know what that means? Awesomeness :) 10/10

Enjoyment: I mean i wouldn't rewatch it after all these years if it didn't have great enjoyment, prepare to cry,laugh,feels emotions that you through you never would. 10/10

Overall: 10/10 This is one of those shows that you want to forget as soon as possible so you could watch it again. Pure satisfaction in every episode of this anime is what will speak for itself. 10/10 Watch it, you won't regret it.

If you liked my review you could follow me on Anime-Planet as appreciation  :)

Dionkeykong's avatar
Mar 4, 2017

Oh yes yes yes...Another over-fuckin-rated anime..After having watched Air i seriously thought that this was gonna be one and the same..And i wasn't far off..

First off..I watched the original before this and i thought it was like watching my 99 yr old granny masturbate.It scarred me for life.Animation was shit,story was shit,characters were shit,every single thing about Kanon was an absolute pile of dog mess..

And what they did with this remake?They made it better by making it even worse..Let me explain..The original even though it was wayyyyyyyy too rushed it had some important details i would like to watch in this one..But i didn't..They took every good thing from the original and threw it out of the window..Not that there were any good points to start with...Especially when u take into account that they force feed you the drama burger..After the introductory first,let's say 7 eps i think,everything is a freakin ride to despair land..It even has a sign "please drive through our village only when full with antidepressants".

This is basically at heart a harem anime..This means that it has Moe school girls that dig the MC but the MC is a big hairy pussy and can't decide who to bone unlike,say,every real school kid who would have fucked the shit outta them..What made me hate this show was the cutesy overload crap.They ditch every aspect of decent storytelling,drama,internal conflict just to put in their place all the noises the girls make when u punch them in the fez.

So let's see the all the characters...The MC has amnesia..It is explained later but in such a way that it's like sitting there in your face mocking you for being such a massive idiot watching this shit.All the other characters are ONLY girls and only serve the purpose of dating him and then die a miserable death.That's all they're for..Basically meat waiting to be fucked and tossed dead in the curb.Most of them die or have some disease and are supposed to die but then by miracle they don't because the love of the MC made their incurable disease go away or one is a ghost of a girl in coma...NOT DEAD!!!IN A COMA...Makes sense?Even his cousin likes him...And just when u think he's gonna give her some cousin candy...Guess what...He goes after the coma girl who is still drooling after the 7 year sleep.

I seriously believe that the show had nothing to start with..The made it lengthier to explain things that aren't explained in any way at all..They just drag the whole thing just to fit all the frickin "AGUUUU" and "AUUUU" and all this cutesy moe crappoli..On one episode only i thought that one girl didn't know Japanese and just made sounds...A whole episode full of AGUUUUU...Oh give me a break..This is the epitome of a good anime?Really people?

Animation this time round was good...Not bad not great just good enough and consistent.The acting was fine,although all the little “cute” sounds(UGUUUUUUUUUU)got overwhelmingly annoying at times.

To sum up..It is horrible..The plot and characters actions defy all logic.I bet u any money that those who watch these sugary bullcrap anime just fantasize that they are the series protagonist and fuck every living breathing thing in a 20 mile radius just for breakfast.

3.5/10 overall
aLime's avatar
Feb 3, 2016

Good story, though Key uses the same characters in every series they've ever made. If you can get past the art style it's pretty alright

delolmo's avatar
Jan 23, 2016

I honestly do not know why this anime is rated ths high. I love these type of anime but I ust felt that Kanon was not very good. The first 10 episodes or so are way too slowed paced, nothing really happens and is still a bit confusing. I made myself continue watching because of its popularity At some point the story line gets a bit better but not much. Some of the characters are fun to watch while other are just annoying.

In summary, given the poor story line (in my opinion) and the issues with some of the characters, I think a 5/10 is fair. I did like the animation for this version and the sound was alright.

mahius's avatar
Jan 29, 2015

This Kanon is the double-length remake of the rather debatable 2002 supernatural high-school drama anime. Was this remake really necessary? Very slow to start, it does drag out what was previously 13 episodes, but it does give substantial explanations for things. As for romance or harem, those things are barely present. Or perhaps they appear to be done in a different way than usual, cos I barely noticed anything indicating either of those genres. I generally don't like iffy dramas, but this had me in two minds. This anime is capable of invoking emotions in someone as cynical as me, when it really shouldn't be able to and I've got to commend it for that. But it still has a lot I really hate, some contrived plot aspects and many things that don't make sense. Let's get on with it.

The animation of this movie is immaculate for something made in 2006. I watched it in 1080p blu-ray quality and it looked sweet. As for the animation style, it has the characteristic style of the 'Key' animation studio. I can't really say much more. Yes, the large eyes are very creepy and off-putting at times, but they are okay on some character models.

Some of the music of this anime is very suited for the themes and atmosphere of the scenes, especially the most important ones. And it sounded beautiful. Therefore the sound design was appropriate, so well done for that. But damn are some other bits of it cheesy. Those parts really remind me of the 80s/90s but not in the good sort of way. Or more like, they could have done something slightly better. I kinda just don't like it. It reminds me of terrible older anime. Intro and outro aren't particularly amazing IMO, but it's just not my type of music. The anime is available in both English and the usual Japanese. The voice acting cast was pretty impressive however. Ayu's VA Brittney Karbowski also did Yuri from Angel Beats, Ryou from Clannad, Ikaros from Sora no Otoshimono and many more. Yuuichi's VA Chris Patton another major VA having many roles including Greed from FMA and Sato from Welcome to the NHK. Other actors include Jessica Boone (Hatsune - Angel Beats), Caitlin Glass (Winry - FMA) and of course, Greg Ayres playing the comic relief dumb guy character (do I have to?). The dub is pretty good, the voices sounded like they carryed emotion when necessary and all the usual stuff you'd expect. The biggest letdown though, was the 'ugu'. Goddamn that...

The male protagonist of this apparent 'Harem' is Yuuichi Aizawa. Boy does he have a shit memory. He can't remember jack about the last time he was in town and if it's something to do with the supernatural iffy plot, damn the plot. He lives with his mmaternal aunt and cousin Nayuki, who's school he goes to. He isn't much of a jerk, though he likes to poke fun at a few characters for a friendly laugh. He seems to have made an absurd amount of female friends when he was younger. But it all doesn't make sense. While he isn't much at all like the average trope harem protagonist, one characteristic he does have is the lack of err romantic drive? To an extent. Which is kind of a redeeming factor. He's just an overall nice guy who gets tormented by some supernatural bullshit.

Yuuichi's cousin is the athletic, blue-haired Nayuki Minase. This girl obviously has a crush on her cousin (get that shit outta here) and is a major sleepyhead, requiring several alarms to even get her out of bed. She'd then continue on through the day being very sleepy through breakfast, walking to school and class. It doesn't always happen though. Since Yuuichi had previously stayed with her, she is featured significantly in flashbacks. She depends on her single mother, which FFS is the biggest anime cliche trope. What is with all the damn single mothers and their bastardised kids? Give some fucking explanation or better, have a goddamn proper family there! At least this character has a parent, unlike other anime where parents are non-existent. Enough of the rant, Nayuki is a decent character and does little to annoy me or the other characters. She tries her best to help those around her, including Yuuichi. One funny thing is her allergy to cats, she'll always swoon at them and run up to cuddle and hug them, despit the consequences. Speaking of her mother, she makes a terrible jam that she likes to give to visitors, who are frustratingly too nice to tell her it tastes terrible.

Ayu Tsukimiya is the first of the annoying characters. Yes the backstory is not a bad thing (rather the opposite), but after it's all revealed, her presence makes no damn sense. This is where the supernatural waffle starts to come in. I'll say no more, for fear of spoilers. Yuuichi met her when he last visited and he has forgotten everything about her of course. This character has a bullshit speech impediment where she says 'ugu.' She also has a very childish personality and steals food. Speaking of which, Tayaki is her favourite. She treasures a headband given to her by Yuuichi. All that said, the conclusion for this character's story is rather good.

Mai Kawasumi is a sword-wielding girl with supernatural powers. She fights demons in the school. Sounds like a load of waffle right? Surprisingly she is one of the more pleasant characters. Her backstory could almost make you cry. Mai is another one of Yuuichi's childhood friends so expect flashbacks. She generally doesn't display her feelings very well (stoic), seems unsociable, unable to make friends and is somewhat quiet. I don't want to say too much, but this character is just trying to do her best for people she cares about. By extension, her best friend Sayuri Kurata is that girl who has it all. Wealthy, smart and popular, yet she isn't the trope character who is a bitch about it. Thank goodness. However this character has a serious issue in that she refers to herself in third person. While it is explained, it can't helo but realy get on my nerves. She also has some dead serious backstory, again one which could make one cry.

Shiori (Mi... SPOILERS) is a sickly and frail girl who hasn't been been able to go to school due to her incurable disease. She is often found wandering in the school grounds, since she longs to go to school and lead a normal life. Another great character, just because of how realistic and pleasant she is and she is also very caring for others especially her sister. Who is this sister? My lips are sealed. Watch it to find out. Of course this being a anime with light aspects of the supernatural, a certain 'event' is bound to occur...

The other very annoying main character is Makoto Sawatari. She first appears to assualt Yuuichi, claiming that he had previously wronged her. She also has lost her memory, including her name (sorry for the minor spoiler), yet the only thing she remembers is that she knows Yuuichi and hates him. This character reminded me a bit of Asuka from NGE. Her favourite food is pork buns and she is often found annoying Yuuichi and playing pranks on him, which aren't exactly funny and could get her in serious trouble. She especially tries to pull these pranks on him during the night when he's in bed and Yuuichi often gets her back for her childish behaviour. One example is that she fills the bathtub with Miso soup, just before it's Yuuichi's turn to bathe. She is very immature and thoughtless, at one point she lets go of a cat she's holding over the edge of a bridge. Her backstory is kinda bullshit, she is someone who Yuuichi used to know when he was younger, of course he can't remember the details. Yuuichi also remembers the fact that he had a crush on an older girl with the same name as her. Character progression for Makoto is good however, due to certain plot elements, her personality completely changes and she becomes more childlike and dependant on Yuuichi.

The only other character worth mentioning is Jun Kitagawa. He is the only other male character in the entire anime. He fulfills the role of the idiot comedy-relief friend. Being a mix of character tropes, he is jealous of how popular with thegirls Yuuichi is and I think he's a bit of a pervert perhaps? He is infatuated with Kaori Misaka who is constantly rejecting his advances of course. Bit of a generic anime bullshit character really.

The story of Kanon is where the biggest flaws lie. Other anime have taken the light supernatural aspects and utilised them well, including Air and Clannad, other animes made by the same studio that did this one. Yet I felt that here it depended on the supernatural a bit too much? Certain plot points depend on it and therefore feel too contrived. All that said, the large amount of unnecessary filler is also an issue. Within the first ten or so episodes, the only major plot events that occur are the introductions to the characters. That's almost half an anime wasted on that and the original 2002 Kanon is a reminder of how much better this could have been done. After that, there are multiple story arcs that do not overlap and each focuses on one girl. After each arc finishes, the main female character doesn't really appear for the rest of the anime. Despite the fact that they is explained and have reasons, I can't help but feel something is off. One particular arc is severely dependent on the waffley supernatural, revealing that the existence of a character depends on supernatural elements (I've left it vague) attempts to tug at heart strings and I honestly got a lump in my throat for a half hour. But it could have been better and all the more emotional if it was more drenched in reality. The apparent romance is almost non-existent as I mentioned before. Better not to bother than to do it terribly. But there are a few scenes which one could argue being romantic, I only remember one and it's never followed through. If this is supposed to be a harem, then well done for not seeming to be a normal harem anime, cos this didn't really feel like that to me at all. The relations between the characters could only be labelled as 'close friends' and not a thing more. The supernatural elements could have been integrated better. This anime also does contain a few stereotype events and tropes like a guy walking in on a girl bathing or being late to meet a girl, because of another girl.

Conclusion

Kanon (2006) is not exactly a terrible anime and I can understand why people like it. But there were annoying characters, a janky narrative and contrived supernatural elements to put people off. It's not an anime for everyone. It is relaxed and somewhat realistic (except for all of the bullshit) and is nothing like the typical harem anime. People who like slice-of-life anime would likely enjoy this the most.

Family-friendliness Rating: 2/5 Guy walks in on girl taking bath, nuff said (lower is better)

Overall Rating: 6.5/10 (higher is better)

SacredTessaiga18's avatar
Jan 2, 2014

NO SPOILERS HERE!! :)

Just finished Kanon! OH MY OH MY I LOVED IT SO MUCH!!!!!!! Holly crap was that a great anime! It definitley filled my want of wanting a anime like Clannad! It seemed like it started out slow but duh It has to build up for the story to just clash into this wonderful, amazing, beautiful, heart touching story. I love it I cant even think of anything to say because all I can think is LOVE IT LOVE IT! I will definitely have to update this review! If you plan to watch this anime then sit down, shut up, and have those tissues near but prepare for that big niko (smile) at the end.

angelsreviews's avatar
Aug 6, 2013

Part of the trio of Key Animations lovely animations, this one doesn’t hold back. The simple and cute story mixed with a little bit of comedy and the art style of a simple dating sim game works with the type of music and slight cuteness that one would understand from this. Although this is praised so much, there are some things that seem like they were just lost or done rather badly.

I could see this show being practically a mirror dimension of Clannad. We have the plain main character, the small cute girl, the dense girl, the strong silent type, the sickly type, and so on. We get the same characters from Clannad and almost the same storylines as well. And yet, the storylines also fit with some of the magical feel that Air has too. If you want me to list out a way of watching the two shows, I say start with Air or Clannad, then go to Kanon, then the other one. They seem to blend into each other. Instead of the girl being the one losing memories, it’s the boy.

The storylines are rather sweet and I just love the romance involved in it but I feel we don’t get enough time with any of the characters at all (except the main character). It should have been longer if they were going to do this type of show and give us a bigger variety to the show. If you’re giving us a harem, then make it a harem, not a half assed one.

The artwork is special, most of the time beautiful, soft but well detailed. The times that it lacks actually don’t take much away from the show as they are few and far between. I do have to say after seeing some pictures of the older one, I believe this artwork to be much better. I do ask how wise the girls are wearing the really short skirts in the snow and not looking one bit cold. Seriously, why do they do that? And I also wonder the only adult that really is shown looks like she is the same age as her daughter. Other characters really do look like they have the same face, looking like they just changed the girls eye color and hair color.

The English voices are not really Moe but they don’t try to be. I like that about the show. There is a sense of two worlds in the show because of the English and the Japanese dub being slightly different. The music is what makes the show in how awesome it is most of the time. I love hearing the piano pieces and really want to the sound track to it.

I love the show even though the troubles they have in it and the odd non-moe characters the English dub gave me. I really feel that even though Key’s shows aren’t really the best, they are something to check out.

MAK2Hybrid's avatar
Jul 16, 2013

Part two of the Key/KyoAni collaborated trilogy continues their moe fan service that drives many male otaku insane for some reason and the emotional rollercoaster anime, only this time there is a few changes from the last series. For one, it’s longer than 12 episodes and while it may not be as different from the other Key/KyoAni shows, it’s……something that going to be explained once we get into the review.

Teen-aged Yuichi used to visit his aunt and cousin Nayuki all the time as a kid, but it has been seven years and his memory of that time has faded. Now he has come to live with them to finish out his high school career beginning with the winter semester, and winds up in his cousin's class. During his first few days in town he (literally) runs into Ayu, a small girl with a winged backpack that, after some prompting, he eventually remembers he used to know, and starts hanging out with her. An encounter with an amnesiac girl named Makoto, who can only remember that she has a grudge against Yuichi, results in Makoto coming to live at his aunt's house, and he also meets an assortment of other girls, including Nayuki's friend and classmate Kaori, the mysteriously truant Shiori, and upperclassmen Sayuri and Mai. As pleasant as things are, though, mysteries abound. What happened to Makoto's memory? Why can't he remember more? And what other secrets lurk in this town?

OK, I got to know, most of the time so many things happen in this show with so many storylines, often end quickly (very quickly) or get back seated until the end of the series but other than that, there was a change of pace in this type of show. Usually, one of the female characters suffer from amnesia, not knowing their past and it gets retreaded throughout but this time, the main male character Yuichi is the one to have that. I don’t know what other Key/KyoAni show does that but it’s something fresh. It also has that formula to really make you either sad or it wants you to cry (very hard) when you hear the side stories of someone that got sick from……..well, something (They will never mention what sickness they got. Possibly the convenience sickness) and/or some other very tragic heartbreaking story and most of the time, I was immersed in some of those parts but mostly the lighter side of the anime; the antics that makes it seem less overly dramatic but genuinely funny.

Speaking of being genuinely funny, the main character Yuichi is actually one of my favorite characters on the show; he’s the type of guy that can work his sarcasm in being funny without trying to, can be jokey without being a douchebag, and also someone I gave a damn about, but unfortunately I can say the less for the female characters or the half-harem section of the characters. They aren’t very strong character types with the standards of it being the sweet one, sickly one, H.M.G.I.C. (Head Moe Girl in Charge), tsundere, etc. it’s your basic anime traits in female characters just like in the last entry, only they’re slightly noticeable.

The animation is a better effort from Kyoto Animation here than in Air, as it did felt livelier and very vibrant. The character designs are still the same as their other Key efforts with the big-eyed moe girls and the older characters looking the same age as the girls and even the main girl Ayu appears to be a small child but she’s actually 17. Yeah, I’ll say they don’t want to age their characters when they should have. The music is pure Key signature, meaning that it does sound like it’s from a visual novel and yes, I know this is based on a visual novel but I wish it didn’t always sound like that. I thought of the opening theme as soft and quiet building up every time it plays and it matches the tone of the show to a tee.

I watched the English dub of this by ADV Films (although FUNimation took over N.A. distribution rights) and while people say that it isn’t very moe like the Japanese version, it’s actually subjective to say that. I would’ve been annoyed if I watched it in the Japanese as I’m glad that the English dub didn’t try to go that route (plus, the actresses did sound annoyingly cute in their own way). Noted performances include Chris Patton as Yuichi, a relatively then-unknown Britney Karbowski as Ayu, and Jessica Boone as Nayuki.

FINAL VERDICT: Honestly, after watching this, I prefer this show to Air in terms of them being actually longer so the story didn’t go too fast, but I did felt like I gotten lost watching some of the episodes in plot and the sappiness and sadness were played in for dramatics. Like Air, I would say you should stream before you even think of buying the show.

Sammac's avatar
Apr 1, 2013

Watch it. Watch it now.

WARNING: Anime contains moe.....a LOT of moe. But good moe!

Now, i was recommended this because of my love for Clannad and I have to say that was spot on. Almost too spot on. We follow Yuuichi as he returns to his cousin's town which he hasn't been to for 7 years. He has forgotten a lot from his past at this time and various chance encounters with certain girls slowly reveal the truth....
Right, off the bat I thought this would just be a standard, run of the mill romantic comedy harem anime, but i was far from the truth. Not saying that it's a bad thing, like i said, Clannad was amazing and that's basically my description, however Kanon brings something a little different to the table. For one, it has a very supernatural-esque feel to it, especially the overlying story which turns out to be quite complicated and altogether, uneeded. I understand that perhaps it's trying to be very deep and thought provoking, but there are points where you go "Wait.....what?". However, to combat this they have some genuinely amazing moments; parts that made me cry with laughter and made me cry with sorrow, this show is an absolute emotional rollercoaster. Similar to Clannad, we witness various story arcs relating to the different girls of Yuuichi's past, and I personally found them much more.......enjoyable than the overlying story, nevertheless, i thoroughly enjoyed the show and would happily watch it again.

Kyoto Animation never do wrong in my opinion, their animation to me is always on top form and always manages to really make you feel the emotion coming from the characters, whether it is sadness or joy (especially joy, I dont remember laughing along with a character who's also laughing his ass off). However, i gave it an 8 because i found that the actual character designs were kind of off, mainly that every girl's mouth seemed too small or too high up on their face. Now that i've said that, that's all you'll be able to see! But I got used to it pretty quickly and in the end it added to their cuteness.

Now normally I'm not one for criticizing sound as to me it always feels like it fits, but with Kanon, the opening especially, works really well. Everything is very slow paced, piano based and it sits in with the mood perfectly, really aiding in the immersion.

Due to the sheer amount of characters that we get to know intimately, i'll keep this brief. The characters are adorable,brilliant and an absolute joy to watch. Seriously, seeing Nayuki all sleepy in the morning, or Matoko messing around with Yuichi or even Ayu's little cute moments, I loved watching them and each specific character was especially well written. One note however; I watched Clannad prior to this, hence the recommendation, and i watched both Clannad and Kanon dubbed (just cos it's easier to watch if I'm just putting something on) and the characters Kitagawa from Kanon and Sunohara from Clannad, are literally THE SAME PERSON. They're both the bumbling comic relief, same hair colour and style, similar relationship to the protagonist and to make matters worse, SAME ENGLISH VOICE ACTOR. This really annoyed me at the start, like REALLY annoyed me, because i didnt want a Clannad copy, i wanted something similar but new. But i bit my tongue, ignored it and was pleasently surprised. Sure they may be similar but hey, i loved Sunohara in Clannad so i was bound to like Kitagawa.

Dubbed or Subbed?

Now this is a really really hard choice. The dubbed version is really good, especially if you're not into moe because the english voice actors take most of it away (except Ayu, there is nothing that will make her not cute) and it's actually done really well. The acting is top notch, the script well thought out, it was a good experience to watch it dubbed. BUT, and this is a big but, I realised that after watching the dubbed version, it seems the Americans decided to CUT OUT parts of the show. Un-Freaking-Believable!!!!!! Taking out parts of the story, especially the part that I was choked about (In Shiori's story arc) really really annoyed me, and i think those parts would have made it a much more immersive and touching story. So it's a tough one. The story is a sad one, with some great bits. Honestly, watching it dubbed was great, and it gives me a reason to watch it again subbed now, but for first time watchers? I would recommend what i'm doing literally because if you watch it subbed, you probably wont want to watch it dubbed even though the acting is really good and worth watching, however i do understand that it's a pain to re watch it to see what you missed.

DuckPhlegm's avatar
Mar 11, 2013

I hadn't really gotten around to write a proper review yet (I prefer to refer my Sword Art Online review as a rant) so naturally I picked out the newest show I had just finished watching and this is what I ended up with.

Not to be confused with the 2002 version (since I have yet to watch it) and also take note that I have not yet gotten around to play the VN.

(I'm not giving a synopsis, its obvious where to find one.)

Kanon itself is extremely reminiscence of the popular Clannad series and why not? They're both adaptation of key visual novels animated by Kyoto animation although Kanon was actually made and animated before Clannad so it isn't a direct clone. The structure of the story follows that of Clannad and other animated key titles (Little busters) where you have one main character who goes around with an obviously secured girlfriend delving into the pasts of other girls in a dramatic and serious way, only to return to its original comedic format in-between. However the most obvious difference between this and Clannad is that it's less romance orientated which overall highlights one of the main flaws with the plot.

The romance was there right in front of our eyes but it wasn't cooked properly. The relationship build-up, dramatic and 'not-so-cliche' dialogue wasn't made with what ingredients they had. That, to a far extent upset me seeing as that was what I hoped for. Instead the anime kind of just spurted out the romance towards the end as if the production studio realised “oh shit, we're this far in development and we haven't added the romance, ok just shove it in over here so we have time for everything else.” Nevertheless the characters motives and determination during hardship could have proven to have come from emotions which does relate to romance so there is still credit to be awarded.

Romance aside, the drama was definitely there. It may have been smothered by cliché lines but it was definitely emphasised throughout the story and although it seems like hopeless drama on paper, its still plays strongly with the audiences emotion (unless I'm just that emotionally weak) which was further emphasised with the characterisation.

It's a little late now but lets actually look at the plot itself. Anyone whose already watched this or Clannad would tell you that although the plot seems bland when written down, its still somewhat satisfying. I'll admit, the show tends to be pretentious in terms of predictability of the plot and it isn't the most engaging or complex story ever. But this show plays well with your emotion which allows the series to ultimately remain memorable throughout. The pacing throughout is steady and doesn't seem to rush itself. In terms of the actual story itself, its rather situational whether or not you'll enjoy it.

So after your prejudiced 'OMG why is there giant fish eyed people everywhere!' kind of feeling you'll get throughout the first episode and you actually take time to consider that this was made in 2006 you'll realise that this show actually has high production values (its KyoAni, what do you expect?) Alright the environment may seem extremely repetitive with all that snow but you have to admit the scenes locations and character artwork are still beautiful, especially considering the time it was made.

As for the music you get your typical soft tunes that come along with most key VN titles. Again this is entirely up to preference but I actually took favour of the music and ended up not skipping the openings. Maybe its just my love for these soft tunes that make the series a little more special. The osts are reused over and over similar to Clannad, each with there own specific mood to it. Nothing special to mention about it. The voice actors suited the roles perfectly again adding to the already fantastic production values.

I found the characters of the Kanon to be more or less the strongest part of the series. Maybe you find the overall personalities of the characters too generic and to be perfectly honest I can more or less agree with you on that, however it's the way the characters are presented, and how likeable the characters are that appeals greatly to me. Alright, not every character was perfect, they sure could have worked a lot harder on a few of the characters, but with the main cast being wacky, fun, yet serious at times really was enjoyable and of course memorable. Your main cast is somewhat of a typical harem. There isn't really a 'oh she's/he's a dick, I hate that character' and with the fitting voice actors make the characters rather pleasant. (Bonus points for Mai, cute stoics ftw!)

Overall

Rather typical, maybe the story is a bit boring and the characters a bit generic, however if you really dig deep you can find that glowing gem inside this show. In terms of recommendation if you enjoyed key visual novel adaptations then I highly recommend you go ahead and give this anime a try, otherwise, I suggest you back away from it or watch Clannad first so you have a little taste of the emotional plays KyoAni and Key can make you feel.

Scores (Thanks to roriconfan for allowing me to use his system)

ART SECTION: 8/10

General Artwork 2/2
Character Figures 1/2
Backgrounds 1/2
Animation 2/2
Visual Effects 2/2

Very good, considering the time it was made.

SOUND SECTION: 7/10

Voice Acting 2/3
Music Themes 3/4
Sound Effects 2/3

Not perfect, but very fitting for the emotional feel of the show.

STORY SECTION: 4/10

Premise 0/2
Pacing 2/2
Complexity 1/2
Plausibility 0/2
Conclusion 1/2

It may seem boring to most and the conclusion is there but rather cheesey.

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10

Presence 2/2
Personality 2/2
Backdrop 1/2
Development 0/2
Catharsis 0/2

Strong personalities but little development throughout the series.

VALUE SECTION: 4/10

Art 1/1
Sound 1/2
Story 2/3
Characters 3/4

VERDICT: 6/10 - GOOD

If you got this far, thank you for reading my review. I'm not a huge fan of reading or writing so this is rather new for me. Thanks again to roriconfan for allowing me to use his scoring system and be sure to check out his reviews.

Flared's avatar
Feb 21, 2013

Story: 7.5/10

Kanon is centred around Yuuichi, a guy who has moved back to the town in which he lived as a child after 7 years away. He is also someone who suffers from a medically fascinating strain of amnesia where at the beginning, literally the only thing he remembers about his time there is his cousin’s name. However over the course of the story, Yuuichi slowly remembers his time in the town 7 years previously bit-by-bit as he interacts with the various girls who live there (half of whom have some form of connection to his childhood). Just like a Visual Novel, each girl’s “arc” is dealt with one after another and each has their own little sad moments. But unlike KyoAni’s other Key adaptation Clannad, the sadness in Kanon feels somewhat forced and like it is trying a little too hard to be sad, something which I believe holds Kanon back from being great.

The story is sweet, but held back by the forced sadness.

Animation: 8.5/10

For 2006, Kanon’s animation must have looked out of this world. The backdrops are gorgeous with some brilliant lighting, especially in the night scenes. This, mixed with the wonderful snow effects, makes Kanon a very appealing anime to look at. Apart from the rare character face hiccup, it’s a very solid package. This series really put Kyoto Animation on the map as an animating powerhouse.

It still holds up well with today’s anime and is easily Kanon’s greatest asset.

Sound: 8/10

The soundtrack is pretty much completely lifted from the original Visual Novel (which dates back to 2000), and this is no bad thing. As it is composed by Key, you expect it to be good, and it is. Some Key fans call it their greatest score, and while I wouldn’t go that far, it is certainly one of their better compositions. No track seems out of place and the character themes are not overused to the point of saturation (something which I feel can happen easily in these genres). The OST ranges from very sombre tones to uplifting upbeat tracks and is very well produced throughout, as I expect from Key.

I have to say though that the opening “Last Regrets” is rather forgettable. While it’s nothing terrible, it just seems like it should have been the ending as it is quite a slow song. That being said, the ending “Where the Wind Reaches” is much more upbeat and much more suited to be the opening. I feel that KyoAni got these mixed up.

The voice actors/actresses do a solid job throughout, but one thing that personally bothers me about the voice acting is Yuuichi’s seiyu, who is the same as Kyon’s from Haruhi (Tomokazu Sugita). I find this to be a bizarre casting choice considering the first season of Haruhi had aired only a few months before Kanon premiered and that Yuuichi not only looks similar to Kyon, but also has a similar personality. Perhaps this was a deliberate marketing decision by KyoAni to entice Haruhi fans to watch Kanon? Who knows? But to me at times it was like watching Kyon who had been transported into another anime. Do I think it detracts from the series overall? No, but it’s a potential niggle for those who have watched Haruhi already.

Characters: 7/10

Nearly all of the characters in Kanon are likeable in their own unique ways, but the cast does have some pretty strong anime stereotypes. You’ve got the typical tsundere with Makoto and the stoic Mai among others, but they are done well enough so they don’t grate very easily.

That being said, the one character that can get annoying is Jun. He is meant to be the comic relief character when things get bad (much like Sunohara in Clannad) but he never really fulfils his role and is usually more irritating than entertaining.

Overall: 7.5/10

Kanon is by no means a bad anime. The animation is stunning for the time and the soundtrack is wonderful. The story, while sweet, needed just a little something extra to tip it over into the realms of anime-greatness but sadly never received it.

You may have noticed that I repeatedly referred to Clannad in this review. This is because they are both Key Visual Novel adaptations done by KyoAni, but also because it is the shining example of how such an adaptation should be done. If you want to watch a drama/romance anime, I would honestly recommend Clannad over Kanon all day long.

Oh yeah, and stay WELL clear of the 2002 Toei Adaptation of Kanon

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation
NoSeR's avatar
Aug 14, 2011

Story - Just like another Clannad except colder and in winter time. And just like Clannad it had individual character arcs where the main character does something to help out the various girls in his life. The first arc was with Makoto. The was the saddest part of the show but I enjoyed it. Next was the Mai arc where the show got weird. I mean I did'nt think the show would get as magical and supernatural the the Makoto's arc but it did. It wasn't as good as the Makoto arc but it was definitly exciting to watch. The next arc was the Shiori arc which they could of just left out. This was probably the only thing wrong with the anime. Shiori just kind of bored me. Then it  comes to the last few episodes where where it combines Nayuki's and Ayu's story for the finale. Just like the first two arcs it entertained me. Was sad but I liked it and it was a really good story.

Animation - There was nothing I was bad about the animation. Nothing was disturbing or annoying to look at so it gets a perfect score.

Sound - Not really memerable at this point Im sure it was good though since the music adds to the overall story. So I can't give it a bad score and I also liked the opening theme.

Characters - I loved every character and their relationships with each other. My favorites were Mai, Nayuki, Makoto, and oddly I really liked Sayuri even though was a supporting/secondary character. I guess was her friendship with Mai and how she talked in the third person. Since character in my opinion are more important then a good story it really helps out the overall score of the show.

Overall - All around a pretty good anime and definitly worth the watch if you like the supernatural romance stuff. One of my favorites.

9.5/10 story
9.6/10 overall
MrShadowzs's avatar
Jun 22, 2011

I should probably say this first, this review will have more Clannad references then you can shake a stick at, because both anime are very similar, but also very different so there's that.

Yuuichi Aizawa has just moved back to an old snowy town up in the mountains that he used to visit when he was a kid. Oddly enough, he barely remembers anything about what happened there seven years ago, and he starts meeting all these girls he once knew, and they help him figure out what is going on and what his lost memories are. So it's a harem with some supernatural stuff thrown in for giggles, so it's your basic KEY anime. What I really didn't like about the story is that, unlike Clannad, it's never really sure who it wants it's main love interest for Yuuichi to be, they go back and forth, having some die, some get injured, some I don't even know what the hell happened to, but it's not really until the end that we figure out who he really loves the most, and still I wasn't one hundred percent sure about her either. So unlike in Clannad where the other girls are just the supporting cast, it seem KEY was trying to make him have romances with all the girls, which honestly doesn't shock me since this show was originally a hentai game (that's right kids it was porn). Honestly though I am being a little harsh, the story was fine and there were some parts where it did really pull at my heart strings, not enough to make me cry (like Clannad), but pretty damn close and I guess that counts for something. But the last couple of episodes really made me go "wait...what?" Oh also *SPOILERS* they do that thing where at the end they're like "haha jk everything actually fine" which kind of pissed me off (it also kind of pissed me off when they did it in Clannad) *SPOILERS OVER*. Oh a side note the show is a SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW boil, like it could only be a slower boil if you stuck a Zippo under a swimming pool (yeah I totally stole that joke but shut up, I'm trying to make a point here).

This was brought to you by, Kyoto, big surprise since they did all of the other KEY works (like Clannad), and yeah it does look quite nice. The girls faces still creep me out just a little, since their eyes are so huge, but the rest of their features are so small, but I've been watching anime long enough to be used to it by now. But yeah other than that looks quite nice.

Ehhhhh, the soundtrack honestly was...not that good, it (again) fits but it's all forgettable, unlike my last reviews where there was maybe one or two tracks that saved it, this one had none like that. In fact during some parts I played music from, no prizes for guessing, the Clannad OST. The op and ed, yeah I couldn't even hum the melody, I just muted it and played a different anime op with the op animation. Now the voice acting on the other hand is VERY GOOD, with actually a lot of the cast being mostly unknown, with the exception of the two guys and Ayu. But it was weird when Yuuichi and Kitagawa had a conversation; because I kept thinking it was Sato and Yamazaki from Welcome to the NHK.

I usually love to talk about the characters, but this time there honestly isn't that much to say. Most of them are stereotypes, you have your cute air head relative, your cute air head mystery girl, your serious mystery girl, your cute air head childhood friend, your cute sick girl and to round it all out the milf...yeah. But really KEY knows how to do stereotypes so actually all of the characters were pretty well done over all, nothing spectacular, but nice. Now the character interaction, HOLY CRAP, it was good, the characters actions weren't super realistic but man did they know how to tug some heart strings, this is of course what KEY animes are the best at.

So yeah pretty good anime, kind of slow even for a drama, but not bad over all. Now the romantic drama question must be asked, is it as good as Clannad, not by a long shot, does that mean it's bad, no but it's not for everyone, if you like Clannad (or Air for that matter) then you will enjoy Kanon, if you didn't like Clannad then just stay away from this one, and for everyone else, give it a try. Never know you might like it, but after you're done go watch Clannad. Also CLANNAD, CLANNAD, CLANNAD, CLANNAD!!!!! Just had to get that out.

7.5/10 animation
6.5/10 sound
6.7/10 overall
LordIndy's avatar
Mar 2, 2011

For consistency it must be noted that this review pertains to the English dubbed, standard video resolution (480p) version of the entire 26 episode series.

Although subdued, Kanon is of the Harem anime genre and follows the character Yuuichi Aizawa as he becomes involved in the lives of various girls eventually leading to a romantic relationship with one of them. This may sound displeasing to some but unlike other harem animes this series truly has emotionally touching, romantic, moments. It in no way should be compared to various other harem animes and falls more in line with its cousin Air, also by Kyoto Animation. I cannot comment on it's relationship with the previous incarnation Kanon (2002), nor it's Visual Novel counterpart by the same name, since I have not viewed them. The series may appeal most to fans of melodramatic, romantic, slow-paced, and/or slice-of-life styled anime. There is very little in the way of comedic relief as the plot phases from the resolution of one tragic story to the next. As compared with something like Fruits Basket, where the viewer is left with feel-good emotions after each episode, Kanon tends more to generate melancholic tears sometimes coupled with grandiose joys. It really pushes the boundaries on how serious Moe themes can actually be when in the hands of skilled artisans rather than perverts and comedians.

Story - 9/10

Perhaps the most notable part of the series is it's story, which redefines genre lines through it's very serious approach. The English script is fairly well written, as it is convincing enough, but does not redefine normal standards. The viewer is still blatantly reminded on occasion by stylized writing that it is a animated series and not based on a true story. This is also apparent in the limited interaction of characters with supernatural story arcs which, rather than drawing you out of the story, are well placed and very entertainingly unique.

Curiously the writers also chose to add a personality element to the main character, Yuuichi, which makes him appear like a huge prick every few episodes. Considering the possible viewer base, this does not seem to be a wise choice however it does make things more human and interesting. The largest downfall, however, appears to be his random loss of memory. This at first glance appears to be an overused scenario, but as the story progresses into his traumatic past it makes sense and becomes an engrossing plot element.

Animation - 8/10

Animation in Kanon is not something that will go down in the anime history books, however it is very attractive and does its job very well. The Intro sequence is moving, skillfully planned, and artistically well executed; furthermore that description usually applies to the show in general. Rarely do the artists slip-up, and the correct pace made all the difference when conveying the story. Backdrops were implemented nearly perfectly, as the character interactions and effects appear natural. Effects are used frequently with the occasional slip; most commonly smoke effects may seem slightly to well defined, but not enough to alienate the viewer. The closing sequence, like many animes, is fairly forgettable although done at par with the rest of the animation.

Overall the style may be best described as a cute, Moe style of art; however it might be best compared to that of the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya. Artistic trends are very consistent throughout the entire series. The use, and occasional tasteful overuse, of light sources adds a fuzzy mid-winter-thaw feel to the series; perhaps better described as a melancholic-smile feeling.

Sound - 8/10

What is lost in voice acting is for the most part reclaimed by the story and soundtrack of Kanon. Sometimes the main characters, when alone, can sound insincere; but during interaction do their jobs very well. Most notably important is the actor's abilities to voice emotionally filled potions of the story with success. However the use of Ayu's trademark blurb, “uguu”, seems to have lost its effect in translation and usually just sounds dumb coming from the English voice cast.

As for the Soundtrack, only good things can be said about it. The music throughout the show is very well cued, timed, and transitioned. The theme/opening track is amazing. Although, it may not be necessary to rush out and buy the OST since this is not a series comparable to K-on where music is a main focus.

Characters - 8/10

Characters, with the exception of Yuuichi's mean-streak, are extremely likable and for some viewers possibly relate-able. Yet they all exist on what might be considered the brim of fiction, so their elements are not perfectly human but convincing enough for the sake of the story. A multitude of Moe character themes are present but in a very limited fashion. However there are points where the female characters can feel defined by their Moe archetypes; thus preventing this from being a pure drama/romance. There are no ecchi elements, thankfully, nor does there even appear to be a place where they would fit.

Overall - 9/10

If your an emotional male this series may do the job perfectly for you. If your a female looking for the next romance novel, maybe not so much; but it still comes highly recommended and is worth a try. If you fall strictly into the categories of action, hentai, horror, etc. then this show is more than likely not for you.

With a very well designed and executed story there is enough depth here to seat Kanon as a high-level anime series. This is accompanied by an enjoyable soundtrack and beautiful animation style. Yet its main draw remains the melancholic mood that pulls the viewer through each episode.

ishmael1991's avatar
Feb 14, 2011

Kanons storyline is basically divided into sections. Each of the main characters has a deep emotional story, which makes the whole anime feel melancholic, rather than having a slow build up like Clannad. Infact, the first half of Kanon is structured very similar to the first half of Clannad.However, where Clannad has Fukos storyline, and then focuses mainly on nagisa and Tomoyas blooming relationship, Kanon carrys on in the same vain the whole way through, having arcs mainly dedicated to 5 girls. I found with Kanon, that i was in a constant emotional state which kept me hooked the whole way through,but didn't give me a sudden emotinal tearjerking punch in the stomach like some other animes did(Clannad afterstory is the only anime to actually make me cry,however this was close too). It also meant that i wasnt as attachted to the main heroine (Ayu) as i was to Nagisa because i had less time to be. The effect is not negative though. When i look back at the series i invision a dramatic and tragic emotional rollercoaster, which tries to be as cute and imaginative as it is tragic, and succeeds at both.

When i first started watching this series(This was the first i watched out of Keys animes) i didnt like the look of the femal cast. I thought they looked like stupid bug aliens. However, with familiarity, i completely feel in love with them.They are basically exaggerations of Anime, and they are just not too exagerated to look disturbingly mutant (like they did in the 2002 series). The whole story is set in a snowy winter wonderland, but it is a very beautiful setting and perfect for the melancholic story. I watched this whole anime on a cold winters night, and i was really absorbed in the surroundings.

The sound is the most perfect aspect of the show in my opinion. One thing which really impresses me is how all of keys works opening themes sum up the mood of the anime. Clannad first series theme is quite casual sounding, more down to earth less supernatural. Airs theme is more action packed and emotional. Kanons openning theme is very dramatic and distant, and overall sounds more like its from a fairytale, and indeed These are all the qualitys within each show. The voice acting is very well done and perfectly timed which is vital for a lot of the comedy.

8.5/10 story
saintjimmy's avatar
Sep 2, 2010

(Spoilers) you have been warned

i finish this a long time ago but i have to just talk about it well let see this is like a soap opera hell this is a soap opera but a soap opera that a guy like me may watch (-U-') but any way this anime is fucked up with it's emotions, almost to the end this anime give me emotional abuse at first the fox girl dies i cryed like a baby then the angel girl disappears out of nowere in the sadist way i've ever seen and then she comes back  then nayuki's mother gets hit by a car and then you think that she may commet suicide but she dosn't i keep on thinking that this anime was done by disney because we all know how disney is fucked up with emotions now lets leave the sadness and go to the review i really need to say it i love both sub and dub but i think the sub wins by it's moe in the dub it's ok but as many otaku's we don't watch the dub we just watch the sub anyway the art style is beauitful it very nice no down fall what so ever it's maybe the perfect anime but i can't name it that but to me it is even for a girl name

Azndragon's avatar
Aug 28, 2010

I loved pretty much everything about Kanon, the characters were really cool.The only problem was I kind of got confused at the end, had to read up on wikipedia to understand the ending more.

I really like Kanon, I've fallen in love with Mai to!
Kanon is a much watch, not a waste of time at all.

Clannad (And Afterstory), Kanon, Air and Elfen Lied are all #1 to me!

9.8/10 overall
LeGo's avatar
Jul 30, 2010

Una de las mejores obras de Key.Personalmente quizas no llegue al nivel de Clannad(aunque esto ya dependera de cada cual),pero contiene todo lo bueno de Key:Drama,Magia,algo de humor y una genial OST.Ya aviso que puede haber algun spoiler,no muy grande,pero puede haberlo.

Sipnosis Made in wikipedia ^^

Yuuichi Aizawa vuelve después de siete años a la ciudad donde vive su prima.Algo ocurrió hace siete años y todos los recuerdos de Yuuichi sobre ese lugar han "desaparecido".Aunque al final de la serie nos daremos cuenta de que desaparecido no es la palabra exacta.

Al día siguiente de haberse mudado se encuentra con Ayu Tsukimiya, una chica a la que le encanta comer taiyaki. Ayu escapa de un vendedor de Taiyaki y choca con Yuuichi,el le invita a comer taiyaki tal y como hizo siete años atrás. De esta forma va recordando cosas del pasado y eso le ayuda a aclarar mas sus sentimientos.

"Kanon 2006" ademas de ser la adaptacion de la Novela Visual de Key,es el remake del anime original "Kanon" que se publico en el año 2000,se mejora sobretodo la animacion que corre a cargo de Kyoto Animation

24 Episodios llenos de momentos,divertidos y tristes,cotidianos y magicos.Key 100%.

HISTORIA:

Momentos epicos nos depara este anime.Capitulo a capitulo vamos conociendo personajes nuevos que de una forma u otra ayudan a descubrir mas la personalidad y recuerdos de Yuuichi.Unos primeros capitulos quizas,algo lentos para terminar con una parte final espectacular y emotiva.Le cuesta arrancar,pero cuando lo hace deja el liston bien alto.

ANIMACION:

Han pasado 4 años ya,pero el trabajo de Kyoani,en su dia fue muy bueno y aguanta perfectamente el paso del tiempo.Paisajes vivos,coloridos y preciosos,modelados muy al estilo Air/Clannad que a mi personalmente me agradan.Kyoani es un muy buen estudio de animacion(pese a las criticas por K-on y la 2ª temporada de Haruhi)aqui lo vuelve a demostrar.Esperando una version Bluray ;)

SONIDO:

Las obras de Key conllevan una OST a la altura de lo que se esta viendo o lo que nos estan contando.Cumple de sobra en este apartado.Melodias geniales para cualquier momento del anime y por supuesto los momentos mas tristes o dificiles estan acompañados de manera magistral.Grande Key

PERSONAJES:

Exceptuando a Yuuichi y sin exagerar tampoco demasiado,no se ve una evolucion demasiado grande.Si que Yuuichi va cambiando segun recuerda lo que paso 7 años atras al igual que a los demas personajes(Nayuki,Ayu,Kaori,Shiori,Mai etc..) con el paso de la serie se les conoce mas y se ven ligeros cambios.Gran trabajo es en la expresividad de todo el plantel,todos pasan sus buenos y malos momentos.Lastima que la relacion de Ayu y Yuuichi se deja para el arco final,pero tambien es de agradecer que no se deje para el ultimo episodio.

CONCLUSION:

Una obra a la altura de Key y con todos los ingredientes que la compañia nipona sabe dar a sus obras(Excepto Angel Beats ¬¬).Para mi es su 2º mejor trabajo despues de Clannad y Clannad ~AS~.Tiene sus puntos mejorables,sobretodo si miramos la evolucion de los personajes a lo largo de la serie que para mi se quedan algo cortos.

Una serie que hay que ver si eres fan de Key y si no tambien :3

8.5/10 story
cherrywolfchan's avatar
Jul 11, 2010

Not for the Jaded.

Kanon centers around a young man named Yuichi, who is moving in with his Aunt Akiko and cousin Nayuri. But the thing is, he doesn't remember anything about those past seven years he had been gone. Memories of people are vacant from his mind. So when he begins to meet others, people who he had known in the past, everything begins to piece together slowly. And that is the main plot of Kanon.

Story - 5/10

One thing people should know when they get into Kanon is that its a harem show. The main protagonist, Yuichi, will be surrounded by girls and these girls will more than likely like and/or love him. So the harem part of the show is something to expect. Harems are predictable nowadays to the point that they are boing, so the story hurt very much with the harem aspect for me. However, what saves it from being a total failure is the fact that the show deals with tragedy. The only sad part of it all is the fact that it is too melodramatic.

Animation - 4/10

Okay, I'm being a little critical here. The animation, for 2006, was pretty good. Heck, given the time and if I would have watched it when it came out, I'd probably give it a 7/10... but given the time now, I felt like I couldn't. But the biggest downfall with animation to me, doesn't lie with animation itself, but the style of the art. Moe art has never appealed to me, unless used comically. This show is a serious show, or at least it tries to be, the cutesy, moe art... big eyed girls with tiny mouths, made me cringe. It's just not my thing.

Sound - 6/10

Ah, the most redeeming thing to me, was the music. Though I felt the show over all was melodramatic, the music was trying to do it's job. And the music was nice. I wouldn't go off to buy the soundtrack or download anything, but it was still a nice sound and the background music appropriate.

Characters - 3/10

Now the worst part for me. As I've once said, I don't get moe. I will probably never get moe. So the characters were the most painful part of the series to me. Yuichi started out cool, but when he turned woobie, I felt deceived. I liked the prick-like character he had started out to be. Nayuki's obsession with her allergy and her sleepiness became old during the first time, Aiyu's 'ugu' grew annoying and overplayed... "Aunt" Akiko was barely an aunt and looked more like a sister! Even Toradora did better than this, and that's saying something. The only character I somewhat liked was Makoto, but even that was short-lived.

Overall - 4.5/10

If you like moe, are new to anime, and like tragic love stories... Kanon is for you. However, if you have been in the anime scene long enough to have seen the ugliest of shows to the most brilliant, you may not appreciate Kanon.

Kanon has a good setup really. I think it had potential in my mind. But moe screwed it up. And other things kept popping up that made my eyes roll rather than wanting to cry. The show ended up trying too hard to be a serious, sad story that it kind of killed itself.

All in all, Kanon is a show a lot of people should watch, just because it is one of those shows most anime enthusiasts have watched. But as if you'll like it or not... is debatable. Not the best anime out there, not even a great anime... but it's not the worst.

4.5/10 overall
willtaylor's avatar
Jun 7, 2010

Parents:

There is absolutely no fan service in this Anime. (Fan Service means scantily clad scenes put into the show for no other reason than exciting pubescent boys) This is what's called a Shojo Anime, or an anime that is meant for young to teen aged girls, and it shows. Kanon relies more on imagery, storytelling, and dialog to move the story along. No one gets beat up. There is one scene with a hint of blood, but I assure you it's not unnecessary -- it comes as a vital part of the story. I didn't detect any cursing and the situations are not ludicrous. If you're looking for something more actiony, then this is not the title for you.

There's a reason it's called Kanon. It's fully explained within the series but it's a subtle explanation. It's a play on the musical term of a canon. Think row,row, row your boat --it's a repeating melody that gets more complex as you pass each repetition. This happens in the story as well. It's about Yuichi, who had come back to live with his Aunt Akikko and his Cousin Nayuki after 7 years. Yuichi discovers that he has no memory of his last visit 7 years ago. Through his interaction with the other characters in the story, Yuichi begins to remember what he repressed, and eventually why he repressed it. Most of the girls that he interact with knew him from before in one way or another. Along the way, Yuichi encounters Ayu, a short girl with a winged backpack. She's bubbly and kind, and despite his sarcastic view of things, Yuichi is smitten with her. She remembers him from before and soon Yuichi is set down a path of discovery that will lead him through a lot of personal heartache. As he rediscovers each set of memories, the fullness of his life there becomes apparent.

I didn't watch the dub version so I won't comment on it. I spend 12 hours a day on the computer so the last thing I want to do is watch a program and spend the whole time reading subtitles. So I won't comment on the dub because it simply doesn't interest me. I thought the English casting was great and I honestly don't think they could have picked better actors for their respective characters. Ayu's voice was perfect --I don't think that any other actress could have captivated me more. Sometimes all it takes is the right voice.

Unlike a lot of other Anime, this one has an ending that does bring the story to a definite conclusion. It's not a harem comedy --though Yuichi has strong feelings for his friends, he's not conflicted in the slightest about them. He isn't a loveable goofball or inept with girls or anything like that. So if you're looking for that, you're really going to be disappointed.

I will say that while I did like the ending, I didn’t like the way that they presented it. I think that they could have put together one more episode in between 25 and 26 that would have touched on the specific miracles and laid some of the confusion to rest. In my opinion, that one change would have made this story perfect to me.

I think that there really isn't anything bad that I have to say about this anime. I think parents may find this enjoyable to sit down and watch with their kids.

therik's avatar
Jan 5, 2009

Sayuri and Yuuichi sit in the cafe.. The steam from their coffees wafts through the air which is filled with gentle strings of some classical music.

"Do you know this piece?" Asks Sayuri. "It's Canon. Pachelbel's Canon. That central melody repeats itself again and again, as layers are slowly added to the music, making it richer and more beautiful each time." She pauses. "Wouldn't it be lovely if life was the same way? If it changed delicately and softly as we live from day to day?"

If there is a line that more effectively underpins the series, or if there is a clearer example of Kanon's philosophical poetry, then I apologise for leaving that stone unturned but I could think of no better way to begin this review.

As adult visual novel adaptations go, Kanon (2006) is mature, dignified and sensitive, much like the earlier Air and subsequent Clannad. Of course, it has its share of oddball and loud personalities but they serve to amuse rather than to irritate. In fact, such moderation is something of a hallmark of the series, every bit as recurrent as Kanon's principal plot themes of memories, promises and miracles. Although most characters are eye-sparklingly cute, you an still empathise with them as real people. Although the imagery is clever, it is never boastful. Although the show is funny, it's not too funny. In fact, the humour in Kanon is masterful in knowing its role. It doesn't elbow you in the ribs and laugh raucously at its own jokes; instead it lightly strokes your shoulder, reminding you that it's always there and giving you the choice of whether to laugh or not.

This moderation is key because it allows the show to go ahead and tell its story without gargantuan diversions detracting from this primary aim. The structure of Kanon's narrative is typical of the genre. A handful of shorter, character-specific story arcs are played over the main story, which lasts throughout the entire length of the show's 24 episodes. Ideally, such a structure would allow for a variety of tales and a multiplicity of different emotions to be presented as each one unfolds. Dismayingly, Kanon forgoes such a structure, instead preferring to focus on one emotion and one alone - sadness. Every story is sad. Yes, there are moments of joy and even some of triumph, but tragedy in Kanon is all too commonplace. It is the incessant lifeblood that pulses all too visibly beneath the thin membrane of kawaii which initially seems to envelop and identify the show.

The most painful consequence of this omnipresent sorrow is not a continual rending of the heart strings as one might hope. Rather it is the onset of disappointment and despondent indifference on the part of the viewer. In its delivery of tear-jerking moments, Kanon is something of a relentless tease. It threatens time and time again to move you, to break your heart, to give you a story or a moment that you will never forget; and yet it never does. Whether it is because the show saturates itself with sadness or whether it is because the stories refuse to set foot upon the plateau of true poignancy, this series fails to make good on its first avowed intent - to effect the viewer emotionally.

Kanon's animation is simply sumptuous. It is hardly controversial to claim that Kyoto Animation represent the zenith of their particular style. As well as luscious backgrounds, every epsiode boasts the distinctive character design, nigh-on perfect lighting and constant attention to small details which are typical of the studio's releases. Although the term "winter wonderland" has been overused to the point of meaninglessness, I feel that Kanon's whitened landscapes can be described no other way. It is almost as if the snow consciously chooses to fall upon Nayuki's town, because it knows how delightfully it will be animated.

As such, any qualms should be seen as relatively minor. Those that I have are mainly to do with something of a cuteness overdrive which many of the girls seem to possess. Although I maintain that it does not preclude the ability to empathise with them, some of their features and expressions are exaggerated almost to the point of parody, whilst their ridiculous floods of tears occasionally serve to dampen emotionally charged moments with unwitting comedy.

Although I cared little for the songs that play during the opening and ending credits, the soundtrack is, on the whole, marvellous. Seemingly every piece of music does its job with efficiency and panache, as mood is built up through the background music just as much as it is built up through dialogue. Surprisingly, and almost uniquely, some tracks are memorable enough to stay with the viewer long after the series has run its course.

The voice work is also of a high standard. Whilst more sensitive ears may have difficulty tolerating Ayu's frequent use of her "Uguu" catchphrase, this is more a quarrel with the script than the VA, who manages to keep the repetitious utterance from grating. The voices are adaptable enough to maintain strong and distinct characterisation whilst presenting a spectrum of emotions and steering the protagonists away from being two-dimensional stereotypes.

Dramas of Kanon's ilk need to strike a delicate balance in creating their cast. The characters must be sufficiently quirky to be memorable, but must also be human enough to engender sympathy and undergo a true development in personality. This is a lofty goal, but one which Kanon generally attains. I qualify this last statement because the anime errs slightly on the side of caricature on occasion, particularly with the characters of Ayu and Makoto, whose obnoxious immaturity wavers indecisively between the amusing and the overpowering. However, if you are prepared to indulge the pair their foibles and see them as simply being somewhat unorthodox, then there is no reason not to see at least a spark of realism within all of the show's protagonists.

Futhermore, due in no small part to the strong personalities exhibited by some individuals, the character interaction is always enjoyable. It not only creates a lot of Kanon's trademark comedy but also ensures that the dialogue contains many lines which are truly priceless.

Overall

For my part, I found every character in the show to be likable, and to possess some trait which I was able to identify with, or at least enjoy. This is the main reason why I was so wholly disappointed with the series' failure to grip me on an emotional level. Although I stand by every positive comment I have made in this review, I feel that Kanon falls tantalisingly short of what could have been greatness. Its insistence on telling tales of woe is tempered by an inability or unwillingness to go the proverbial distance and present something truly affecting.

In small doses - as I discovered when re-watching this series - Kanon is a competent emotive drama. The exceptional animation and sound ensure that it is sublime as a passive viewing experience, and there are enough excellent pieces of dialogue to consider it memorable. Taken as whole, however, it is enjoyable but occasionally numbing. I would recommend the series if you have enjoyed similar animes, such as Clannad, Da Capo, and Myself; Yourself. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a truly moving and thoughtful tragedy, then perhaps search elsewhere.

8.5/10 animation