Kamisama Kiss 2nd Season

Alt title: Kamisama Hajimemashitaā—ˇ

Add review
deideiblueeyez's avatar
Jun 9, 2015

(Sorry for this not being a comprehensive review, but I really have nothing more to say that wasn't said in my review for the first season)

The cuteness and tender, loving relationship between Nanami and Tomoe continues in the most pleasant of ways in the second season. This is eclipsed by the ultra-sweet finale that makes up episode 11 and 12. Once again, Tatum in the English dub gives a phenomenal and believable not-quite-tsundere performance for Tomoe, and Brandon Potter as the newly-established semi-antagonist Kirihito/Akura-Ou provides a fairly pleasing, if somewhat monotonous rolling gravel for a demon.

My only wish is that there will be a third season, as the establishmentand introductin of Akura-Ou's goal to retrieve his body from the netherworld was not concluded, obviously. It is reasonable to do this, as the final arc ends on a sweet and pleasing book end that, if Kamisama Season III never surfaces, still encourages people to continue the manga (the spot leaving off Episode 12 being chapter 64, or thereabouts).

Again, thoroughly entertained by this season and Tomoe and Nanami's close and genuinely multi-faceted relationship. Man, it's been awhile since I've had the warm fuzzies such like this!

MoonlightMaiden's avatar
Jan 13, 2015

if you loved the first season you are going to love the second ! BEAUTIFUL. No more words, it's beautiful n.n

Samiamknot's avatar
May 18, 2015

Okay, so if you are expecting season 2 to have lots of development in terms of the love story then you may be dissapointed. As in season 1, the devlopment of Nanami and Tomoe's relationship makes some progress, but not much. Tomoe still takes forever to admit his true feelings, but at least he finally does. The problem with Kamisama Hajimemashita it that both seasons are way too short. You feel like you only get to spend one or two episodes with a new character because there are only 12-13 episodes in both seasons. I do not feel like the shortness of the series allows you to feel satisfied. Hopefully there will be a season 3, because season two ends on a cliff hanger, even more so than the first season.

However, with the negativity aside it is still a great series. It is probably one of the most adorable animes out there right now. The music, mixed with the characters adds such a delightful atmosphere throughout each epsiode. If you liked Fruits Basket, you will like this show becasue the director is the same. I loved Fruits Basket and can see the similarties thoguhout both shows. Overall a really sweet series with moments that may make you laugh out loud or even just smile. I only wish it was longer!

delolmo's avatar
Dec 14, 2015

I very much enjoyed this anime! I loved the concept and the characters. I loved it so much that this became the first manga I ended up reading as I was very curious who the story will develop beyond the two seasons of the anime. The manga is still going but the story is very good. It felt somewhere in between Inuyasha and Fruits Basket. I give this anime a 10 and recommend the anime and manga to anyone without a doubt!

BlueSummerSkies's avatar
Aug 31, 2017

Folks, I was not pleased with this one.

A little disclaimer first: I'm in my late 30s, and as such my taste is often different from that of much younger viewers. I really loved the first season of this anime, and here's why: what drew me in straight away was that the main character (Nanami) did not strike me as your typical shoujo anime heroine. I was really tired of seeing your cookie-cutter shoujo protagonist: timid and shy but determined, and, to her own surprise, everyone likes her "because of the bright smile on her face." She's usually impossibly shy and docile but sugary sweet, which is a sort of character I could never relate to at all as a female-- not now and not when I was in my teens.

But Nanami wasn't like that in the first season: she had an actual woman's voice, not the quivery baby-talk voice of your typical anime female, and that had my approval straight away. What's more, unlike your typical shoujo heroine she had an actual backbone. She was sensible, and fell neither into the stereotype of the coy girly girl nor the 'ditzy and clumsy and hyper-spastic' girl. It was almost like she was a believable female character.

Despite some bits in the first season that I didn't like, in general I really approved of her character, I liked that she didn't take crap from Tomoe, and that Tomoe had an incredibly compelling personality that made him irresistible on top of being handsome. I really wanted them to get together.

Then they did, and then in season 2 and afterward lo and behold, Nanami turned into your stereotypical cookie-cutter 'coy and shy and sweet and soft-spoken but determined' anime girly girl. Just everything that had been good about her was replaced by your generic annoying anime heroine that you've already seen countless times, which isn't relatable, which is annoyingly docile-- and Tomoe became more of a domineering jerk after becoming romantically involved with her. The entire charm that drew me into the first season was gone, you still had the same characters but with personalities I was really tired of seeing and which I never liked in anime in the first place.

But as I said: I'm probably far outside the demographic that this is intended for; you're probably half my age, so you'd probably still like this.

By the way: if you like this sort of story and are into yaoi, there's a manga I like very much called Oinarisama no Honey Bunny which is similar. It's about a handsome guy who's actually a fox (like Tomoe), and a second handsome guy who's actually a rabbit. It's very similar to the relationship in Kamisama Hajimemashita except m/m.