Kamigami no Asobi - Reviews

lunarvixen26's avatar
Jun 24, 2014

The story is not unlike other reverse harems.  A young, pretty girl suddenly finds herself surrounded by a group of diverse, but connected, beautiful men.  This anime focuses on six gods that have been forced to come to Zeus’s academy in order to learn how to be more understanding of the human heart. To help them with their task is Yui Kasanagi, a high school student that is in possession of a magical sword that pulled her into this magical world. Zeus has put a magical blocker on the gods to make sure they cannot leave the academy and it will only be removed once the gods learn their lesson.

While there is nothing particularly new or invigorating about this story, it did keep me mildly entertained. The gods each have an episode focused on their personal growth with Yui. All share affection for her ranging from true friendship to deep love. The story does give a bit more plot around episode 8 and eventually comes to a climax rather melodramatically. Again, it is nothing to rave about, but if you are looking for a bishounen, reverse harem then look no further.

Animation:

The animation is quite good. The action sequences are done well and the characters are draw to perfection. The landscapes are drawn well too. In this category, I think the studio did an excellent job.

Sound:

The opening soundtrack fits the general tone of the anime, upbeat and not too in-depth.  The action sequences are a bit dull and predictable, but it’s nothing to be deterred by.

As a reverse harem with twelve episodes I wasn’t expecting the characters to be developed much, if at all.  My prediction was right. All the gods and the few random gods that join them were all developed vaguely, each getting about one episode apiece to tell their specific background. All the characters are likeable in their own way. Appollon, the son of Zeus, is the character that is developed the most, followed by Loki and then Balder. Yui is an eternal optimist but doesn’t really develop at all during her time with the gods at the academy.

Overall:

I picked up this series as a lazy day anime, nothing to be impressed by, only to provide mild entertainment. What I got was just that- mild entertainment. If you are looking for an anime to cheer you up a bit and you enjoy looking at handsome men this will suit your fancy. Other than that, this anime will be a sore disappointment.

HolaaOlaa's avatar
Jul 24, 2016

PERFECT ANIME FOR ANY GIRL WHO LOVES REVERSE HAREM. YOU WILL LAUGH AND CRY. BUT I SHAL;L WARN YOU, THE ENDING IS NOT LIKE ALL HAPPY ENDINGS, YOU WILL CRY AND PRAY TO THE LORD ALMIGHTY THAT THERE WILL BE A SEASON TWO, I HAVE JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT AND IM CRYING STILL, RIVERS AND RIVERS OF TEARS

whensarahsmiles's avatar
Jan 28, 2016

Kamigami no Asobi (Mischief of the Gods) is a reverse-harem anime that came as a breath of fresh air. More often than not, this genre of anime uses a set of character profiles like the smart one, the goof ball, the quiet one and so on. Although KnA does have some of these characters, the diversity of their other personality trates make them unique and likeable characters, or unlikeable in the case of a couple.

As the boys from this anime are all based on real-world gods, what I enjoyed most about this anime was the use of the gods' real-world backstories to build storylines and characters, friendships and abilities.

KnA does not mind being diverse compared to other Otome or reverse-harem animes and you find yourself far more wrapped up in the storyline than just hoping the main character gets paired up with your favourite pretty boy!

I can definitely recommend.

echogangsta's avatar
Feb 25, 2016

Great relaxing anime when you have some time to kill. The characters are funny and engaging, with a defined plot that is not overly complicated or dark. The writing for this one is a tad predictable, but that isn't always a bad thing and they did manage to avoid at least some of the typical tropes of the genre (main protagonist is a female that is both nurturing AND has a brain, the males don't immediately all start tripping over themselves for her... etc) so overall not bad and worth a watch.

Bearbar123's avatar
Dec 22, 2014

So I actually work as an Anime reviewer to certain blogs, so usually i'm not allowed to do this, but I really loved this anime, and I am certain the site I work for wont review this so I brought it up with the people I work with and they said, Go For It! So here you go, I also can't mention them in any relation to this, so don't ask what site I review for, anyway, I wont tell you cause I review anonymously.

STORY!!!

Now I gave Story a 9/10, because it does have a good overall arc, until the last 2 episodes, the pacing of Yui bonding with all the gods is done really well, and it seems she spends equal time with each god, which in a reverse harem, is definitely needed. It does give a little bit more to characters like Apollon, Balder, Loki, but that is justified as those are the characters along with Yui, we need to be most attached to when the ending happens. Now onto the problem of the ending, which is why this is a 9/10 not a 10/10. They literally left no build up to the ending except for the last two episodes and a little in the episodes around Christmas, which I'm sure was only one episode, or at least sure, I watched this in one day and i'm already loosing the first bit, man i'm getting old, :(, and i only just got to be able to vote! It needed either better immersion into the plot of the first 10 episodes or, give the ending more like 5 episodes to work with, it felt rushed, like the people writing and drawing the anime were suddenly given less episodes to work with when they were almost done. I don't know if that really happened or just poor planning, but you really feel it in the end. Also, the jerk ending man! Why do they all seem to end like that now with the real ending after the credits start, you know alot of people turn away at the start of the credits and it really destroys the immersion, but this is getting ranty so onto the next topic!

ANIMATION!!!

I really liked this animation that is why I gave it a 8/10, but it was dampened by little glitches I noticed, like when Melissa talked once or twice the lips did not sink with the voice, same with the characters that did not appear often or didn't talk really there were a little slip ups, which are okay, not everything can be perfect, none of them were major ones, all very minor and something I probably noticed because when I watch animes sometimes they will start slowing or something well they are talking and I notice it for a second, none of these are normal and probably wouldn't be noticed on a person watching it on tv or something like that where they already pre have it and not streaming. There were a couple problems though like when they went to the ad markers it would be a black screen for well enough for me to realize there was a black screen, which is not good utilize every frame people! Next topic!

SOUND!!!

Now I know your looking at this and see the score is alot lower then the others the lowest by 2 points the highest by 4 and that was because well I love the intro and the outro music(I mean I would sit and listen to it over nothing, and it over some other animes) it is not catching enough to make me want to listen to it every time or it gets stuck in my head. If I had to refresh the page or something and had already listened to the into once I skipped through it, also sound is not just intro and outro, it is much more. Sound should be going every second of the anime unless it calls for it to be silent, and even then that is abnormal, there should be a little background noise, like very soft music, that you probably can't hear or the chipping of birds or clicking of shoes and there are many points in the anime which it is just suddenly silent. It is inhuman for there to be no sound, literally that can drive us mad. Even us breathing causes sound, It was mostly when there was no talking and the characters were just standing there that this happened, sure there might have been a tweet from the birds or something but it needed more. Also voice acting is very big in this, The voice acting of a couple characters completely threw me off, like Anubis, who I thought was Baset for a long time, or Melissa her voice just did something to me, like Jaken in Inuyasha, I just couldn't stand it! Other characters it was perfect like Apollon and Balder, is anyone else sensing a trend here, if you have a character talk give them a good voice even if they aren't a major character. Next Topic!

CHARACTERS!!!!

Now this one I gave a 10/10, cause I really thought they did thier research and character design well, possibly the best they could do, first of, they did really research on the gods and they looked like what the descriptions of them say from thier stories, Loki had red hair, Thor had green, Susano had blue,(Even though i'm pretty sure the stories say he had dark blue but oh well it went with the design and was close enough). They also kept the real powers of the gods, minus a few things, like Zeus didn't really have his lightning sure they mentioned it but he almost seemed weaker then Thor in that spot for just mentioning it instead of showing it. Yui also fit a niche that if anything was different, even down to the color of her hair, she wouldn't fit, she was perfect for this spot! Sure I got a little messes up at first but once I knew their name I recognized them from the stories, which trust me, well i may not be all knowing on the topics, I know alot cause I did research, sure I called Anubis Baset once and Balder Thor, but that was because i was use to how they were traditionally displayed so I was confused. Once they told us who was who and I looked at the stories again just to re-jog my memory I knew they were right on. Next Topic/ Ending Topic!

OVERALL!!!

I really loved this over all, but it did have it's flaws, so that is why i'm giving it an 8.5 overall, but still giving it 5 stars, I really want to see more from the people that made this now and i'm gonna go digging, so I gave it a higher star rating so more people can see it, but a lower review cause people might just look at the star but the really smart people will look at reviews. Now i'm gonna say something not about this but about the possible OVA's. Normally, I say never watch an OVA, I view them as episodes that the people who were writing and drawing this wanted to put in and didn't have the time or money or people from above saying no, or as a way to make money after the show has ended and actually turned out really great, just for the company to get more money, which is a no no! Don't treat your customers like dogs coming back for treats! But I'm really interested in watching these OVA, cause I think about the possibility, the people will see the response to the OVA and might give it another season, or let other shows like this be put out when they normally wouldn't let them, so go watch the OVA's if they are out and you will be handing money over to the creators, NO PIRATING IT"S BAD!