K - Reviews

Alt title: K Project

theSentinel's avatar
Aug 2, 2014

Okay, so k Project. . . was pretty good.  I look at the length of anime, and often times 12 episodes is not enough to get much done.  However K Project was suprisingly good.  It covered a full story with plenty of twists for a 12 episode series.  The only reason I didnt give this a 10 was because there was a lot of lore that they didnt cover ( 3 whole clans werent included).  However they are making a movie called " the lost kings" so hopefull that will cover everything that was not in the series.

I was skeptical about it at first, the first 3 episodes left you with nothing but questions.  However it started picking up very quickly.  Suddenly things are getting crazy and little bits of information are being let out until. . . bam the tip top of the climax.  Truly great story.

Story:  Fantastic, gave it a 10 because it earned it.  Especially for a 12 episode series it was well done with good pacing.

Animation: Great, I only wish I had watched in better res, but I supposed I should buy the anime to do that.  It was worth watching so I will probably buy it after I buy a bunch of others on the chopping block :P

Sound:  Sometimes the music did not match the scene.  For example combat music seemed too mellow at times.

Characters:  Great characters, especially with the voice actors that were chosen to play the roles.  I have yet to see an anime that can build a characters profile in less then about 15 minutes and then make you want to cry  when he bites it big.  Seriously

Overall:  please go watch this one.  If you are looking for something nice to watch right now that isnt too long but is pretty satisfying then this one is for you.

snivets's avatar
Dec 28, 2012

To add to my bafflement over this series, I heard today that a sequel has been green-lighted. What the actual fuck? (Unless it's a sequel that is actually a prequel, in which case it should have come first, because this show was confused).

Story: The "plot" was an absolute fustercluck. It's like Nanamine from Bakuman got in on the scriptwriting, along with 50 of his internet advisors, and then everyone also had caffeine-induced ADHD on top of it. It felt like someone tried to throw in everything that was cool into one place, stirred the pot, and then spun it around in circles. From the vagueness of everything, the weak flashbacks, the staged fights that didn't advance the story, the unexplained characters, the unexplained setting, EVERYTHING about the "story" was half-assed and incomplete and annoying. It made watching the show a complete and utter drag.

Animation and Soundtrack: Actually, these are the high points of the show. Don't kid yourself. I remember after watching the first episode, I thought that it would be nice to see more movie-score-type soundtracks for anime, with the rushing classical pieces to create excellent atmosphere. Similarly, the art in this one is pretty win. Textures, effects, lighting, and fight scenes: none of it disappoints (if you can overlook the weakness of the story).

Characters: I kind of liked them at first, but then I didn't. They failed to convince me of their motives and they all had these complex histories with each other that were never fully explained and therefore lost their believability, and the MC was wishy washy and unentertaining. The majority of them can be reduced to tropes: hotheaded skateboard dude, cool megane dude (and apparently one of those wasn't even enough), responsible female class rep, booby catgirl with a lack of understanding of the real world and an overabundance of energy and high-pitchedness, serious samurai dude, etc etc. This really added to the overall lack of substance and content in the show.

This anime gets an IAMDISAPPOINT/10 and I will likely not be watching anything related to it evar again. Unfortunately, this sort of mediocrity-bordering-on-low-quality seems to be the standard for this season, so it took me a while to realize how bad it actually was. And then I was frustrated because it's so darn pretty to look at.

Watch at your own risk.

3.5/10 overall
noname0302's avatar
Jul 22, 2015

Lets do a bit of a role call:

1. main character with no idea whats actually happening around him, also he hasd a lot of hidden powers - check

2. silent, strange, samurai character who basically becomes a bodyguard -check

3. cute little cat, who si actually a girl with special powers – check

4. the girl is naked half the time and they dont have the balls to make it uncensored – check

And as you can all see, we have the most common recipe for a mediocre anime. Well, at least they had the budget part right.

Story: starts out decent, looks interesting. Fullwith logical loopholes. Example: our samurai wants to kill the main character because thats his misson and stops because he is fucking hungry!! I am not making this up. Half az episode is a chase and they stop to eat! Seriously….The ideas they have are not bad. But everything feels so random. hey knew that so aspects were interesting, like the amnesia part or the cat/girl with the cool powers, but they didnt know how to include them. Things just appear out of the blue. The ideas were good, but they were lazy to create a truly coherent story. It was for the money, not to create something of artistic value. A bit about the ending: SPOILER ALERT – the whole thing is a logical mess: the silver king is supposed to be eternal and immortal, so even when his body is destroyed, his soul should inhabit something.  Somewhere I read that there will be a sequel,they probably planned to reintroduce the silver king in a new body(probably with amnesia again), buti f it doesnt happen, then the ending of K will be one of the most illogical and stupid ones out there. You have a rival, Berserk! 4/10

Animation: Really interesting. Usually when they make something this vivid and colorful, they go over the top and ruin it(No Game No Life – LSD nightmare), but herethey somehow managed to balance it just right and it doesnt become annoying or cause headaches. . They are obviously capable of creating great scenes, altough sometimes they dont. Small portions of fight scenes for example are awesome, but most of it is uncoreographed and confusing. Example: blue and red ’’army”  fight against eachother. One scene, both clans are grouped together, next scene is about individual fights and suddenly they are grouped together again. Im pretty sure they didnt have the money to create proper fight scenes, so they used what they had to make short scenes that looked good and the rest is basically filler, but still. If you dont have money, dont animate something this uncoreographed. Cut to the main characters and make them talk about the weather or something, just dont show a bad fight.  So altough the animation is good, it didnt nearly live up to its true potential. Same feeling here as with the story. Good resources, good ideas, but they did not think it through well enough, they just wanted fast money. 7.5/10

Sound: pretty good, but nothing special. 7/10

Characters: As I said before the characters are very cliche. They are there not because common sence dictates i tor because of some causality like FMA, they are just there to be there. This can be hard to understand, buti f you watch it, you wil understand. Some characters just appear out of nowhere, like the cat/girl and there is no logical reason behind it. So basically same problem as with the story and animation. Altough the characters could have worked well together, they dont. Another problem is the main charcater, who is very weak. The red king is probably the most interesting one. They knew this(thats why the anime starts out with him and not Shiro). 4/10

Overall: Its pretty fun, good to look at, buti t feels as though they didnt even try to make something epic. Its the anime version of a B action movie. Pretty short, so if you have nothing to do, its good for a watch, just dont have any expectations towards it. It is what it is and nothing more. The ending is horrible, the whole story is (most people say its a mess, but its actually pretty straight-forward), illogical and out of the blue many times. The characters are likeable, but all cliche and the main character is bad. The anime is not addictive at all. Still, as I said, the action is there, the color are vivid, the whole anime is good to look at, also its short with 13 episodes, so it might be worth a watch if you have a boring afternoon. I cant really compare it to anything, because its put together out of many ideas. The story is probably closest to Eden of the East, it has a feeling of Fate in it too because of the animation and different magic powers+swordfights. Overall, mediocre score of 5.5/10, but this is as a critic. If you turn off you brain and watch it as it should be watched, its actually fun.

7.5/10 animation
5.5/10 overall
Grimmjay's avatar
Jul 14, 2015

K or K Project as known by the majority of people has SO many things good about it. Sure it's only 13 episodes long but it's 13 episodes of pure epicness. You might not understand the story from the beginning but you have to watch the whole thing to understand it. The plot is very well made and the characters are all unique and different. And don't get me started on the graphics either, easily the best graphics I've seen on ANY anime I've watched so far. The only complaint I may have about it is the rushed plot. In the manga it seemed more slow and easygoing but the anime was a little too fast paced. But it's still greatness.

So if you're looking for an anime that includes A LOT of action, a GREAT plot, AWESOME characters, KICKASS powers and a TON of epicness, K is where you should go.

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Oct 6, 2012

The whole production is done solely by studio Go Hands, which has good budgets to produce wonders. They did a good job with Mardock Scramble, which was otherwise a weaker and more fan servishy Ghost in the Shell. In a similar way K seems to be a weaker and more fan servishy Durarara, which sadly means that the staff can’t create something on their own and aim to cater the fans instead of being serious about it.

Artwork and animation are superb for a tv series format, as there are a million details in each scene, while the characters move very fluently while running or fighting. There is a skater with a bat in particular that stands out for the interesting choreography of his attack pattern. There are also a lot of visual effects in the form of superpowers, which are made to look as epic as possible, with weird shapes in the energy attacks and elaborate explosions.

The music is a combination of rap, techno, and pop, it has a nice ring to it but otherwise feels unimpressive as a BGM. You are too busy looking at all the stuff that are moving around to care for some monotonic beat that is heard somewhere. Voice acting is ok in terms of execution but the dialogues are very choppy and unrealistic, like reading a comic book or a videogame. And the Engrish are horrible, lol. Hire native speakers damn you!

Story and characters… ok aside from lots of bravado and anime fetishes, there is barely any depth or characterization. You get lolis and bishonens, and naked cat girls, dressed as trendy hooligans or magical police officers, running around and blowing up stuff, the end. And yes, you also get a high school yet again with aloof girls and girly boys. The producers are trying to throw in a fetish for every possible viewer, a thing which takes away depth considerably. Also the plot was mostly unnecessary running around and blowing things up just for the sake of mindless fun. There is very little to wonder what is going on, despite the weird mystery they try to have at first. It’s just a simplistic turf war amongst crazy teenagers with superpowers, ok? They all have an area and try to expand to others. Plus they are simply color-coded like they did in Accel World, so don’t expect any more depth than that. Or to make any sense for the same reason; in the second episode someone is about to kill another guy, but then a naked girl appears, he feels embarrassed, and decides to befriend the guy he was about to kill with a sandwich he was carrying all this time. DERP!

It’s just yet another guilty pleasure title, with the difference being it has ten times the budget of your typical harem.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 9/10
General Artwork 2/2 (looks nice)
Character Figures 1/2 (erotic stereotypes)
Backgrounds 2/2 (very detailed)
Animation 2/2 (smooth)
Visual Effects 2/2 (lots of cool lights)

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 1/3 (shallow dialogues)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 3/10
Premise 1/2 (simple, despite being mysterious)
Pacing 1/2 (loose)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 0/2 (none)

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 2/2 (cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (practically none)
Catharsis 0/2 (none)

VALUE SECTION: 2/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too little plot)
Memorability 1/4 (nice visuals but completely mediocre and forgettable)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Art 1/1 (looks great)
Sound 0/2 (sounds meh)
Story 0/3 (random crap)
Characters 0/4 (erotic stereotypes)

VERDICT: 4/10