Jujutsu Kaisen - Reviews

chickietenders's avatar
Nov 14, 2020

I know it's shitty to compare them, but this is what Team 7 could have been if they had actually been given proper personalities that were 3D and not based entirely on tropes. Although you could argue that T7 is the og trope...I digress.

Everything about this show, from the worldbuilding to the slow but steady development of the hierarchy of power is amazing. Like FMA, this show takes the time to actually help the viewer along in a way that doesn't seem cheesy or preachy. It doesn't explain everything about the wordl right of the bat, yet it still answers the three basic questions for worldbuilding:

What are the magical elements?

What can they do/can't they do?

What is the ethical problem?

TBC...

SparklingLilac's avatar
Nov 21, 2020

For the first 8 episodes that I've seen this seems amazing!

Gives me very much shounen vibes but in a way that is unique. Still has some tropes we've all seen before.

The potential death of a main character by the protecting institution like Nezuko in Demon Slayer, a connection, relationship and almost budding friendship between a demon like creature and it's host like Naruto and Kurama, and again a trio of students and their teacher like Naruto again and finally a main character with unimaginable power hidden inside but it's too destructive for them to use in their current weak disposition similarly to Deku in My Hero Acadamia and many other anime.

It's recommended for any who has seen the previously mentioned anime and liked those, you will absolutely fall in love with our main boy Itadori Yuuji and his friends, I can see the potential for reaching Demon Slayer and MHA levels of fandom admiration if the quality keeps it's consistency. So far no episodes have been slow in neither action packed scenes nor emotionally intense scenes. The relationship between Itadori and the other first years will be very interesting to see progress in the future.

The only reason I don't award Jujutsu Kaisen with top marks is that it's too early to tell and give a well informed judgement this early on but I'm hopeful it'll only get better from here on out.

CH0ERRY's avatar
Nov 23, 2020

jujutsu kaisen was just what i, a former anime fan who was looking for something to catch my eye and take me back into the anime world, was looking for.

STORY

the story is the one part of the series i'm not incredibly attached to, as of the 8 episodes we currently have. for me, i found the concept of curses to be a bit boring - mainly because it's executed like every other monster-fighting show i've seen. in fact, i’m even a bit confused on the concept of our cast fighting the curses, but that might be in due part to me not giving the show my undivided attention at all times. i think itadori's grandfather's passing happened too soon as well. if it had been delayed to a later episode, i would've found it more sad, in all honesty.

ANIMATION

this show's animation is absolutely incredible - not a single scene has ever felt rushed or lazy. the opening, in my opinion, is one of the most mesmerizing anime openings i've seen - the backgrounds, the colors, the camera movements; it all feels so smooth. the ending scene is equally as mesmerizing and twice as unique - i love the laidback, chill feel it gives. i feel like the concept they were going for with this credit scene could've been fumbled incredibly easily, so i'm very glad it turned out to be so well-made. the fight scenes are exceptional - they make great use of the environment around them, so they don't all feel like the same fight copied and pasted into every applicable scene.

SOUND

i'm not the type of fan who pays much attention to the sound of an anime, so there's not much i can offer here. i do think they do a lovely job of inputting proper background sounds for scenes like ones in the city, ones by the school, etc.

CHARACTERS

my favorite thing about this show (along with the gorgeous opening scene) has to be the character dynamics in this show. particularly, some of my favorites include nobara with itadori (sibling-like interactions), gojo with itadori (laidback teacher with effortless skills and his student who looks at him with stars in his eyes), and nobara with maki (an admirer and the admiree). i'm looking forward to when itadori is put with the rest of the second-years to see how he interacts with them - i'm thinking we will see him and panda interact a lot.

OVERALL

i'm genuinely impressed with the quality of this show. i can't speak generally on whether or not it stands out from other 2020 fall debuts, or just all 2020 debuts, but i can't help but feel like this is one of the best shows to come out of this year. it gives me the feeling of a future "it show": one that new anime fans in the coming years will all be recommended to watch when they ask for recommendations. can't wait to see where this goes!

Medieval1's avatar
Nov 9, 2020

It like watching Bleach, Naruto, and Yu Yu Hakusho and Ao no exorcist all in one 🔥🔥🔥