Josee, the Tiger and the Fish - Reviews

Alt title: Josee to Tora to Sakana-tachi

Chrophin's avatar
Jun 24, 2021

I really wanted to like this one. Ever since december I've been anxiously waiting for the day I would bem able to see it. The trailer was amazing, the artstyle was gorgeous, and the mysterious title hinted at deep metaphors, and everything pointed at an emotional story full of meaning.

So when I finnished watch it, I was left disappointed and feeling a bit... empty. To bec clear its not that it's a bad movie. Far from it. The animation was amazing, the orchestral soundtrack was a special highlight for me, and the story had a lot going for it, specially the first third. However, the story felt more and more without direction as time went on, like they weren't sure what to do it, and it almost completely lost me after "that" happened (With the excepcion of the reading scene, which was beautiful). And this all felt unfortunate, because the story could have focused more on the ideas it had established before, and really explore them, instead of leaving them at surface level thematic motifs.

One last note on the characters. Tsuneo was a bit flat, but the two leads were pretty great, I like them. However, all other characters (with maybe the excepcion of grandma) felt they only existed to serve the plot, even the more recurring ones, so I didn't care for them at all.

TheNuisance1's avatar
Jun 12, 2021

Well I managed to get watching this movie after waiting for a year to appear online! Anyways to get to the point of the movie overall, the art was literally stunning like Bones yet again, did an amazing job at hiring talented artists and the anime really did bring a bit of disability awareness in terms of involving what it’s like for the characters to be in the wheelchair for life. To add, the music was way on point, liked both OP and CL. However what was the downfall to this anime is that the storyline is like a generic romantic story where it involves an annoying love triangle rivalry going on but the girl and boy meet eye to eye in the end afterall. As well the manga should’ve put more emphasis on the characters mutual love for the sea and why the female lead was wheelchair bound in the first place. I believe that has something to do with the timing of the scenes, which the writers were only able to bring in at the last minute.

If you want that cutesy simple romantic story that involves good art, then look no further and just friggin watch this anime movie when you get the chance!

7.8/10 overall
megaman5754's avatar
Jun 12, 2021

1. The artwork was absolutely beautiful. I've been waiting for so long to be able to watch this and I'm so happy that it turned out this good.
  2. The whole story was really great the ending is wonderful.
  3. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone

GuardianMKG's avatar
Sep 6, 2021

Amazing animation

Good story and characters

A MUST WATCH

TheCautionBandi's avatar
Jun 18, 2021

Josee, the Tiger and the Fish is a beautiful movie about dreams, goals, and reaching out for what you want. It tells a beautiful love story, with realistic characters, and gorgeous animation. Already a contender for one of the best anime movies of 2021 (though it officially released in Japan in 2020).

The movie's story is very simple. And I find that to be one of the most beautiful things about it. It's a simple tale about a disabled girl in a wheelchair and a college boy inspiring each other to follow their dreams. Simple, right? It's what the movie does with that concept that makes it so great.

The college boy, Tsuneo, accepts a job to take care of and wait on Josee from her grandmother. He takes her places and helps her experience the joys of life. He has dreams of studying abroad and she gets a dream herself (which is to become an artist). I won't say any more than that, because after this portion of the movie, we go into spoiler territory.

The movie flows so perfectly that it's never boring. It's charming and wonderful, sad and thoughtful. This movie is just brilliant.

Bones of My Hero Academia and Fullmetal Alchemist fame, did an excellent job with this movie. It has a unique and beautiful look to it. The art and animation is superb. Bones is really good with facial expressions and that really shows with the subtle expressions in some scenes. I wouldn't expect less from Bones.

The music was great, with the closing song done by Eve, who sung the first opening of Jujutsu Kaisen. The voice acting was also great.

The characters in Josee, the Tiger and the Fish are really realistic and relatable. They're not 2-dimensional like a lot of other anime. They display a lot of different emotions and are really complex. Josee is a really charming and well-developed tsundere, Tsuneo is a generic-protaganist on the surface, but later on in the movie he is shown to be way more complex, and Mai is the most realistc and complex character. I won't spoil, but unlike what other anime would do, she isn't outright painted to be good or bad. She's just human.

Overall

Overall, this is a fantastic movie, that you should really check out if you haven't already. It's beautiful and a must-watch for any anime movie fan.