JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000) - Reviews

Alt title: JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken (2000)

SEGHE's avatar
Sep 18, 2023

Title: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000) - A Classic that Started the Journey

Story (8/10): "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000)" serves as the initial entry point into Hirohiko Araki's iconic manga series. The story follows the multi-generational Joestar family's ongoing battle against supernatural forces and powerful adversaries. It's an intricate narrative that unfolds across various arcs, each featuring unique JoJo protagonists and their bizarre adventures. The storytelling is rich in creativity, blending elements of the supernatural, action, and mystery. The anime does justice to the source material, but the manga offers even more depth and detail to the story.

Animation (7/10): The animation quality in this adaptation, considering its age, holds up reasonably well. Character designs are distinctive, and the action sequences are dynamic and intense. While it may not meet today's animation standards, it captures the essence of Araki's distinctive art style and the bizarre nature of the series.

Sound (8/10): Sound design in "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000)" contributes significantly to the series' atmosphere. The soundtrack features memorable and impactful tunes that enhance the action and dramatic moments. The voice acting is solid, with characters' voices matching their personalities effectively. The sound effects, especially during the Stand battles, are well-executed and add to the overall experience.

Characters (8/10): The characters in "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" are a standout feature of the series. Each JoJo protagonist, from Jonathan Joestar to Jotaro Kujo, is distinct and memorable, with their unique personalities and abilities. The villains are equally compelling and often steal the spotlight with their elaborate schemes and Stand abilities. Character development is present throughout the series, with each new generation of Joestars building upon the legacy of their predecessors. The manga provides more extensive exploration of character backgrounds and relationships.

Overall (8/10): "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2000)" is a classic anime adaptation that introduced viewers to the wild and eccentric world of Hirohiko Araki's manga series. Its story, characterized by creativity and unpredictability, draws viewers into a unique narrative filled with memorable characters and intense battles. While the animation may show its age, it remains faithful to Araki's distinctive style. The sound design and voice acting enhance the overall experience. Exploring the manga series will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the story's depth and complexities. My overall score for the anime is 8/10, reflecting its significance and enduring popularity in the world of anime and manga.

trashcan007's avatar
Dec 12, 2023

I was told that this was a great classic but it seemed pretty average to me.

I will say that the concept of manifesting one’s spirit in a semi-solid form was very cool.

I don’t mind the characters being adults, but most of them were steroid-infused brutes. They are also very off-putting and hard to relate to.

Most of the side characters seemed to exist to just show how strong and heroic the MC could be. And speaking of the MC, he was a little too OP- considering he didn’t know much about his powers in the beginning.

The plot was a little weird, but it wasn’t bad.

Overall it’s average (a 5/10). I would consider seeing the modern version of this anime.

PharuanUndearth's avatar
Feb 19, 2016

Like my first review of the JoJo series ->http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/jojos-bizarre-adventure/reviews, this anime expands and clues us in on the relationships between the characters, and tells us how the healing mother/daughter thing actually plays a role.

Pros: More up-to-date animation, the same intriguing and funny characters, better and a more intense storyline.

Cons: The sound is the same as the original; mediocre at best without the cool horror end theme, and minimal, albeit good, fights.

This is what the first one in 1993 should have been good backstories so we know who they are and what their relationships are with one another. How Jotaro's mother became sick, and this one could've been the dio fight. Very good this is the "original" to the older one very good and very much worth the watch.

xida2t's avatar
May 2, 2020

I don't know why some people despise the 90s and 2000 Jojo's compared to the 2010s Jojo's. These OVA are quite enjoyable. The strategic plays in this series are perfect for this style.

7.8/10 overall