Island

Add review
CrowWolf's avatar
Nov 26, 2018

I give it a 6.5-7. Potential spoiler alert-

So the basis for this anime is a story about a time traveler.

Like all time travel storys its full of bugs or ..how do i say things that dont really add up or make sense.

Its a pretty good story and doesnt really start to get really good till about episode 6, 7, 8. The ending felt really short,  but its a short 12 episode series.I heard there was a VN,  but i havent read it.

All in all id say if you have an open mind and are a fan of science fiction or a anime kind of like seins gate you might enjoy this. It was okay and had a happy good ending i guess,  but it does kinda mess with your head.

The endings kinda like a big WTF when you realize the big picture of what was going on.

What else can i say,  besides theres alot of things the anime leaves out and never really fully explains ever. And from what i understand neither does the VN

The main big problem i have with this is the things you kinda gotta look past to even enjoy the anime i guess. Like they dont explain the little plotholes or bugs with the time travel stuff,  but it is what it is,

Decent story for what its worth but it is kind of messed up also in some aspects.  Kind of like futurama or the terminator series.

ForeverGlows's avatar
Sep 18, 2018

Here’s a convoluted story about time warping/traveling that doesn’t do the trope any justice whatsoever. It tried to be something it couldn't be and that’s pretty disappointing, i dropped this at episode 10 where the 28 year old looking (i dont know if they brought his age up i cant remember) main character bangs the underaged female character (oh wait, shes actually 23? nonetheless she thinks shes still 17 and still looks underaged so its still weird) the story is slow paced but picks up half ways in as if they were like “shit nothings happened we gotta ramp it up and throw in as much shit as possible” and boy did they ever.

So much was happening that me and a lot of other people (thanks comments) were having trouble following along 100% they tried to make it mysterious but failed. They also left some unanswered questions which i dont know if it was intentional for the quote on quote mystery or if they just forgot half way through. EIther way it’s just a hot mess.

It does a nice soundtrack so there’s something good to say about it?  the character design’s were basic, bland and boring too but the background art was pretty nice and overall animation was nice. But regardless this show is nothing more than lolicon bait with some fanservice. With that being said, i think i’d enjoy this show a little bit more if it werent for the loli looking characters and a main character who didn’t look in his late 20s.

3.5/10 overall
Tykesha's avatar
Sep 16, 2018

MAY CONTAIN WHATS CONSIDERED AS "SPOILERS"

Very happy ending! Had some twists at the ending, unlike other anime you see now a days. The protagonist actually bangs the loli heroine, or should I say she actually banged him *smirk face*. So points for a non beta protagonist. Some questions left unanswered like about him having to do some things to people (it's in ep1, vague for no spoilers), but other than that great drama and romance watch!

stainglassed's avatar
Jul 19, 2019

This story has it all. Full of confusion, heartache, suspense, you name it. Traveling through time to find the one you love is the best story. I wish it was longer, but in the time given per episode, everything was explained just right. This has become one of my favorite anime. AWESOME!!!!

ClubFoot's avatar
Dec 23, 2018

Sigh; here we go. “Island” is probably the most show that has great potential. It brings a tale with traditional trope about amnesia, looking for something missing, time travel, and romance. However, this show is trying so hard to be complex. It turned out to be a disappointing show that tried to focus on not just a plot. Even so, this is “Donnie Darko” and “Back to the Future” wannabe. That’s what I heard from one of the reviewers who said it. I forget who wrote it like that.

This series is based on a visual novel to say at least. It’s hard to find a good series based on visual novels. Some are actually good in a different sense. “Clannad” and “Steins;Gate” are premiere example for that. But, why doesn’t it work with this show? With such a simple premise, complexity will make it even better. But, it’s not. It’s a piece of unsettling. From the beginning, it was in vain, especially the plot-twist. All characters development from start to finish even raises many questions.

This anime uses the island as the main setting. Except for the second arc where I’ll discuss it afterward. It’s taking place on an island, Urashima. In short, this is an island that alienates its existence. They’re far from society and other cities. There is no contact for other islands. But, that doesn’t make them have to suffer. On the contrary, this island has many mysteries. From here, the show will deeper its narrative. There are so many ‘suspense’ things that combine intermediaries between past, present, and future.

Setsuna Sanzenkai is the main character for this show. And I give you a damn thing. It’s not one of the worst MC all the time from all the anime. However, this is more a representation of blank characterization. If you want to make a character look more real, just write with a variety of characteristics, background, or anything. Don’t leave everything empty and flat. Anyway, this character comes from the future or the past. Nobody knows, nobody cares.

This guy has a lot of vague impression on his background. He can catch a glimpse of his future and past. He was amnesia after being stranded on an island. But more importantly, he doesn’t really have the impression of caring or take any right decision. There’s not much he does. And the fact that he is the main character, it feels so flat and has no motivation other than looking for lost memories. Even when the show reaches a climax, his characteristic immediately turns into some kind of a brat. It’s just nut.

On the other hand, there are three main heroines: Rinne Ohara, Karen Kurutsu, and Sara Garandou. They all have a lot of flashbacks and good theories for Setsuna and the islands they live on. In addition, they also have many problems and connections where Setsuna will help. So, this is indeed very similar to the visual novel. Although to be honest, I’ve never played it at all.

At first, it’s good. I love all developments and various problems where Setsuna completes it. Including sub-romance or whatever, and Rinne. However, all that is meaningless. I just love why the second arc seems to want to make it deep, a lot of explanation, and a vague impression. Rinne Ohara is the most meaningless when talking about this. Initially, like this. But suddenly, it turns out like that. And then, they die. Then, we go through times. There are many similar characters even though they are not the same character. Suddenly, immediately returned to the first episode. Is it mindf*ck? Yes. Don’t get me wrong, all the storytelling of each character is great. But, it’s just an eye for an eye.

This is a kind of show where I’ll recommend for a newbie audience. I would recommend for those who only want eye candy service with a bit of complex story. This is one of them. This show is very good for audiences like that. But, the most part is why this anime is so missing apart from its blank characterization which is the pace. The pace is too fast. It’s not a fast-paced but it’s just too fast. The show stepping from one comedy part became dramatic then became a comedy and became disturbing. It’s hard to stay and breathe in one time. You have to carry everything at once to continue the journey again. The comedy is just your typical cheesy thing with fanservice. Just miss.

This show uses the island as its major theme and I love that. This is one of the redeeming quality of anime with a bad story but good animation. It’s well-designed and the atmosphere is so relaxing. Sometimes, you don’t need to understand a philosophical thing about isolation or society. Just enjoy that life with your casual clothes. The characters design is pretty good though. The sound is just a generic-type. But sometimes, it’s relaxing. The voice acting was pretty good as well. Just nothing unique. Average.

“Island” is a mistake of all. This is more worthy of being called time travel with romance gone wrong. For the ending, I think there will be a few percents of all for the second season. However, this is more of a show for newbies. The premise has great potential to make it even more complex. But, it’s just useless from the beginning to the end. All the character is just flat and dull. The animation and the soundtrack are pretty good. This is a kind of show you don’t have to think much. It’s not that deep. It’s just another example of poor based on a visual novel anime.