Island - Reviews

CrowWolf's avatar
Nov 26, 2018

I give it a 6.5-7. Potential spoiler alert-

So the basis for this anime is a story about a time traveler.

Like all time travel storys its full of bugs or ..how do i say things that dont really add up or make sense.

Its a pretty good story and doesnt really start to get really good till about episode 6, 7, 8. The ending felt really short,  but its a short 12 episode series.I heard there was a VN,  but i havent read it.

All in all id say if you have an open mind and are a fan of science fiction or a anime kind of like seins gate you might enjoy this. It was okay and had a happy good ending i guess,  but it does kinda mess with your head.

The endings kinda like a big WTF when you realize the big picture of what was going on.

What else can i say,  besides theres alot of things the anime leaves out and never really fully explains ever. And from what i understand neither does the VN

The main big problem i have with this is the things you kinda gotta look past to even enjoy the anime i guess. Like they dont explain the little plotholes or bugs with the time travel stuff,  but it is what it is,

Decent story for what its worth but it is kind of messed up also in some aspects.  Kind of like futurama or the terminator series.

ForeverGlows's avatar
Sep 18, 2018

Here’s a convoluted story about time warping/traveling that doesn’t do the trope any justice whatsoever. It tried to be something it couldn't be and that’s pretty disappointing, i dropped this at episode 10 where the 28 year old looking (i dont know if they brought his age up i cant remember) main character bangs the underaged female character (oh wait, shes actually 23? nonetheless she thinks shes still 17 and still looks underaged so its still weird) the story is slow paced but picks up half ways in as if they were like “shit nothings happened we gotta ramp it up and throw in as much shit as possible” and boy did they ever.

So much was happening that me and a lot of other people (thanks comments) were having trouble following along 100% they tried to make it mysterious but failed. They also left some unanswered questions which i dont know if it was intentional for the quote on quote mystery or if they just forgot half way through. EIther way it’s just a hot mess.

It does a nice soundtrack so there’s something good to say about it?  the character design’s were basic, bland and boring too but the background art was pretty nice and overall animation was nice. But regardless this show is nothing more than lolicon bait with some fanservice. With that being said, i think i’d enjoy this show a little bit more if it werent for the loli looking characters and a main character who didn’t look in his late 20s.

3.5/10 overall
Tykesha's avatar
Sep 16, 2018

MAY CONTAIN WHATS CONSIDERED AS "SPOILERS"

Very happy ending! Had some twists at the ending, unlike other anime you see now a days. The protagonist actually bangs the loli heroine, or should I say she actually banged him *smirk face*. So points for a non beta protagonist. Some questions left unanswered like about him having to do some things to people (it's in ep1, vague for no spoilers), but other than that great drama and romance watch!

ClubFoot's avatar
Dec 23, 2018

Sigh; here we go. “Island” is probably the most show that has great potential. It brings a tale with traditional trope about amnesia, looking for something missing, time travel, and romance. However, this show is trying so hard to be complex. It turned out to be a disappointing show that tried to focus on not just a plot. Even so, this is “Donnie Darko” and “Back to the Future” wannabe. That’s what I heard from one of the reviewers who said it. I forget who wrote it like that.

This series is based on a visual novel to say at least. It’s hard to find a good series based on visual novels. Some are actually good in a different sense. “Clannad” and “Steins;Gate” are premiere example for that. But, why doesn’t it work with this show? With such a simple premise, complexity will make it even better. But, it’s not. It’s a piece of unsettling. From the beginning, it was in vain, especially the plot-twist. All characters development from start to finish even raises many questions.

This anime uses the island as the main setting. Except for the second arc where I’ll discuss it afterward. It’s taking place on an island, Urashima. In short, this is an island that alienates its existence. They’re far from society and other cities. There is no contact for other islands. But, that doesn’t make them have to suffer. On the contrary, this island has many mysteries. From here, the show will deeper its narrative. There are so many ‘suspense’ things that combine intermediaries between past, present, and future.

Setsuna Sanzenkai is the main character for this show. And I give you a damn thing. It’s not one of the worst MC all the time from all the anime. However, this is more a representation of blank characterization. If you want to make a character look more real, just write with a variety of characteristics, background, or anything. Don’t leave everything empty and flat. Anyway, this character comes from the future or the past. Nobody knows, nobody cares.

This guy has a lot of vague impression on his background. He can catch a glimpse of his future and past. He was amnesia after being stranded on an island. But more importantly, he doesn’t really have the impression of caring or take any right decision. There’s not much he does. And the fact that he is the main character, it feels so flat and has no motivation other than looking for lost memories. Even when the show reaches a climax, his characteristic immediately turns into some kind of a brat. It’s just nut.

On the other hand, there are three main heroines: Rinne Ohara, Karen Kurutsu, and Sara Garandou. They all have a lot of flashbacks and good theories for Setsuna and the islands they live on. In addition, they also have many problems and connections where Setsuna will help. So, this is indeed very similar to the visual novel. Although to be honest, I’ve never played it at all.

At first, it’s good. I love all developments and various problems where Setsuna completes it. Including sub-romance or whatever, and Rinne. However, all that is meaningless. I just love why the second arc seems to want to make it deep, a lot of explanation, and a vague impression. Rinne Ohara is the most meaningless when talking about this. Initially, like this. But suddenly, it turns out like that. And then, they die. Then, we go through times. There are many similar characters even though they are not the same character. Suddenly, immediately returned to the first episode. Is it mindf*ck? Yes. Don’t get me wrong, all the storytelling of each character is great. But, it’s just an eye for an eye.

This is a kind of show where I’ll recommend for a newbie audience. I would recommend for those who only want eye candy service with a bit of complex story. This is one of them. This show is very good for audiences like that. But, the most part is why this anime is so missing apart from its blank characterization which is the pace. The pace is too fast. It’s not a fast-paced but it’s just too fast. The show stepping from one comedy part became dramatic then became a comedy and became disturbing. It’s hard to stay and breathe in one time. You have to carry everything at once to continue the journey again. The comedy is just your typical cheesy thing with fanservice. Just miss.

This show uses the island as its major theme and I love that. This is one of the redeeming quality of anime with a bad story but good animation. It’s well-designed and the atmosphere is so relaxing. Sometimes, you don’t need to understand a philosophical thing about isolation or society. Just enjoy that life with your casual clothes. The characters design is pretty good though. The sound is just a generic-type. But sometimes, it’s relaxing. The voice acting was pretty good as well. Just nothing unique. Average.

“Island” is a mistake of all. This is more worthy of being called time travel with romance gone wrong. For the ending, I think there will be a few percents of all for the second season. However, this is more of a show for newbies. The premise has great potential to make it even more complex. But, it’s just useless from the beginning to the end. All the character is just flat and dull. The animation and the soundtrack are pretty good. This is a kind of show you don’t have to think much. It’s not that deep. It’s just another example of poor based on a visual novel anime.

Toy's avatar
Sep 20, 2018

Potential spoilers ahead

Island is about a man, Setsuna, who washes upon the shore of the island Urashime and claims to have come from the future. Our protagonist Setsuna has lost his memories, but understands he has come with a goal in mind. It's hard for me to define what I feel about the show, I spent the middle part of the series just trying to enjoy it as a slice of life show. Truly the story is a mystery though, and in the end I found it an interesting one. I think my appreciation of the show ultimately will stand a bit higher than the average person's. Whether this is bad taste on my part, or just that something clicked with me, Idk. However, I think Overall the show will at least be okay or average to most, to me however, I give it a 7/10

The story of Island is where things get interesting, but also not so great. First and foremost, the pacing, this show is criminal in that regard, however it's almost a sad inevitability. I honestly believe that this is a series that would have benefitted hugely from either being 2 seasons or 22-24 episodes long. There are times where the pacing works, but others especially in the moments that should be more heartfelt, that it's clearly moving too fast. The most obvious example of where this hurts the show is Never Island. This part of the story should have probably been anywhere from 3 to 5 times it's length. This the thing that truly hurts Island, and that's not to say that the show would have been amazing or anything with that, but it would have been much better.

There are other flaws with the story, several unanswered questions, and things that felt forced. These might be solved if there was more time to explain them, but difficult to say. Despite that, looking back on the story, I kinda like it, which is not something I'd expect to say as I was watching it. The journey doesn't do the destination justice, in this regard I'm very interested in checking out the visual novel. I would wager that the visual novel, just based on this anime, is probably very good, given it's freedom to explore the story as it wishes. Ultimately, I'm mixed on what to say, however, I think the story gets a 4/10 from me. It's the potential that was wasted that hurts the most.

Tag breakdown time, starting with harem 0/10, this show is harem-like but to call give it that tag is misleading. I guess if you get really meta with it, you could argue that it's a harem, but eh. The show is still a mystery to me in many ways, in both good and bad ways, 6/10 at the very least, I feel like I can look back and say, ohh. Romance is a Never Island/10, not because it was wasted potential, but really it's hard really hard to actually say anything about it. On one hand if I say it was good, I'd feel disingenuous, but on the other hand it was the way it was for good reasons. Playing into that though is the drama which was well done, ultimately some side stuff, but also the later parts, 8/10 I actually liked it when it was being serious. Not to say it was being silly, but particularly with Rinne it's different, I describe it better in characters. Amnesia 8/10 he had amnesia, but minus 2 points for regaining memories in flashbacks, gotta keep those memories away if you want full points. I give island 10/10 was definitely on an island, metaphorically and physically (taken out of context I just gave this show a 10/10). Time travel would be a spoiler I feel. Based on a visual novel need I say more? 10/10

Animation was great to me personally, a number of well animated scenes, and the overall style was pleasant to the eyes. I also very much enjoyed the nice summer vibe from the show (as well as the stark cold of Never Island). The way shadows are rendered and the colors used all came together to be one of my favorite anime as far as portraying a summer aesthetic goes. Not much else to say on this really, though I guess I should clarify that animation in my reviews also covers the art and style of the art, as in a show like this that can be just as important if not more so than the animation quality itself. 8/10

The sound in Island is really strong, but not without a couple missteps. The OPs and EDs were all nice, the voice acting was good and fitting to the character's personalities, however not a lot was really happening outside the soundtrack. That in itself was okay, but when things did happen, it always felt out-of-place, such as the gunshots in Never Island. They weren't bad but they were definitely jarring, it's hard to pinpoint exactly why I find this the case but I do. Similarly the scenes of Rinne singing weren't my cup of tea, but that might have been a stylistic choice. Regardless, the sound should have been given depth in my opinion, and actually felt more like it was coming from the character in the scenes. Instead it is played flat like an OP or any other song on the soundtrack. Because of this I give sound a 5/10 for what I liked, there was other things to dislike.

Characters much like story is frustrating, and for similar reasons, however I'm giving them a 7/10 because I want to judge them for what they are, not what they should have been. Let's start with the good though, and who else to start with than our protagonist. Slow clap for this guy, he did what every protagonist does, twice, and even more on top of that. He's actually a pretty likable character in my opinion, I find his silliness fun and appealing. Given how badly protagonists in anime like this can fail, he has come out ahead in the race. On the other side of this equation we have Rinne, and oh man, this character. She's a cute and likable character, but I swear, she causes way too much trouble, and causes too much drama in her world. Thankfully I feel like it's handled well, you really do feel like her issues are disconnected from reality itself, which takes away the potential feelings of annoyance. Which might be symbolic of her character being an anomally, a girl that simply shouldn't exists in the story as she does, disconnected from reality.

First of the side characters, Karen, the resident tsundere of the show. What can I say, at least she's fairly toned down as far as tsunderes go, and she actually has a compelling character arc. In fact, that might have one of the few things that wasn't too rushed and actually carried the weight it should have. I really like her design as well, so that helps I suppose. As for Sara, I find her an adorable character, and she has a great personality. She also has a lot of interest in legends and time travel, overall a bit of a fan of supernatural things. That said, her character arc is a head scratcher, and I'm not sure more time to explore it would have helped or not. Also, they're 16-17 years of age, so legal, everyone can calm down (for) now. Then there is Kuon, who I'm mentioning here only because I think is an awesome character. I honestly can't think of another comic relief character like her that when you look back on you realize the "comic relief" part of that character wasn't very funny actually, and in some ways kinda sad.

Now for the real travesty of the series, again Never Island, where potential goes to die. NI Rinne deserves more, enough said, this character should have been the emotional high point of the series. NI Sara and NI Karen, both were done wrong as well, we should have been so much more invested in these two than we were. Even the other NI characters probably could have been more developed. This part is just frustrating, and the worst is that it seemed like these character's were actually their own characters, they just happened to have the names. Despite this, I did give them the score I did because the characters we interacted with were good. NI should have been more, but it's unfair really to let that define this entire section.

In conclusion, I've learned that sometimes that I can appreciate an anime based on its destination rather than the journey. It's a little messed up, should definitely be the other way around, but I'm unsure of why this is the case. That said, I do think that most people who watch this can get some kind of enjoyment out of it. I've never felt so unsure about something like this though. Anyway, I enjoyed this anime even if I'm confused about my own feelings and the show itself. Never Island should have been amazing by the way, if I didn't get that across.