Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Reviews

Alt title: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jun 30, 2015

Is it Wrong to Have a Title for a Light Novel that is Not Two Lines Long and Describes the Premise of the Show with as Many Words as Possible?

Danmachi says no. It also has no problem being a shameless representation of what light novels are all about; not limited to the ridiculously long titles other books would use as the synopsis in the back cover. So yeah, what do otakus want today? Videogames? Ok. Lolis and tits? Fine. Some generic fantasy land with a generic main character, who is otherwise special? Sure. Just take a big marker and draw a fat vertical line in the checklist of clichés without bothering to verify anything, for Danmachi doesn’t try to exclude anything, or include anything more.

So why the hell am I even reviewing this thing if it’s so bland and mediocre? If it’s the way I describe it, then nobody will care about and it would go unnoticed. OH I WISH THAT WAS THE CASE but it isn’t. Danmachi happens to be by far the most popular title of the season it came out. Not even the Fate / Stay Night hype was anywhere near the amount of attention this one got out of nowhere. And it won’t fade away from memory any time soon either, thanks to the obsessive nature of anime fans. For you see, all it takes for them to get excited, is to find a single thing that visually stands out. If they do, there is no end to what they will do with it. In Danmachi’s case, that would be a ribbon. Yes, you heard me, a ribbon. Just place it under your boobs and VOILA LET’S HAVE A QUATRILLION COSPLAYS ABOUT IT.

And thus came the plague of the endless Hestia cosplayers, who couldn’t stop dressing like her, or drawing her simplistic design, consisting of just a single colored white dress with a blue ribbon under her boobs. How the devil does that make her remotely interesting? Because she is a loli with huge breasts, skintight clothes that easily make her boobs and panties show, she has epic level powers to undo all your mistakes, is obedient to the main character, and lives with him in the same room, massaging his body and even hugging him as they sleep together! SHE IS MY WAIFU! COME HERE BRESTIA!

But come on, there has to be more to the character than that, right? I mean, she is a goddess for crying out loud, and there is a whole world of magic, deities, and dungeons out there. Isn’t she part of a much bigger scheme or something?

Yes, you are right, she is. She is a different incarnation of Asuna, the protagonist is another Kirito, the world is another Sword Art Online, and of course both stories are light novels. So as you see, Danmachi is a spin-off of one of the most famous anime of all times, that otakus consider a masterpiece. Thus all its fame is excused and well-earned since…

… Wait, no it’s not. Danmachi is no spin-off of SAO. They have nothing but very superficial similarities. Oh, that’s right, the protagonist is voiced by the same actor who did Kirito. The otakus are right; Danmachi is SAO! Also, just like all successful light novels such as SAO, it is full of interesting ideas, presented in the most basic way and never elaborated, so the fans can imagine any crap they like about them. The more specific the world becomes, the more solid it feels, which is exactly what we do not want from our power fantasies. We want them to be vague, so they will always bend to how we like them to be at any given moment.

This is also why our protagonist is so bland. We need to imagine him being as we are; the more personality he has, the harder it is to self-insert and believe we are him, as he goes around collecting harem girls. Because that is what we wish our lives were like; being liked by all the girls, even if we have no personality. But we also need to be able to win them somehow, and that is why we need a power no other man can possess. In the case of Bell, the hero of Danmachi, it’s a skill that makes him level up a trillion times faster than anyone else, and the ability to fuel his special attacks with the power of waifu love, so he can win against any opponent, regardless of how powerful he is. Sounds broken and unfair for everyone else, and also boring because you know the protagonist will always triumph by using asspulls? Yes, but who gives a crap if it makes you win all the time and get all the wet pussycats without having a personality?

I could spend a few paragraphs describing other characters, events, and areas, but I see no point in doing that, since they do not deserve it. Nobody else matters beyond the special blandness that is Bell, all other girls cover different fetishes but are otherwise no more interesting than Brestia, and all events follow the exact same pattern of being resolved with asspulls, regardless of their get-up or level of threat. The amount of thought put into the script, is one tenth of what I spent writing this review.

I could spend some digital ink talking about the production values, but I also see no point doing that if the actual show is so painfully uninteresting. No amount of pretty colors and nice sounds can make up for a crappy script or a stereotypical roster of meh characters. It’s ok looking and sounding if that is what you only care about in your power fantasies. But that is all it is.

Now go back to spending 30 seconds drawing Brestia and her boob ribbon.

3.5/10 overall
farkgmentz's avatar
Apr 4, 2015

So far just by watching the first episode I can tell the anime is going to be epic,plus as it is not only gonna be funny but also has a deep romance in it.. If you are looking for a anime which is fun to watch that will make you cheerfull and turn your mood to zero to ten..this anime is a must to watch..so,please go ahead and watch it..

SugarTitSenpai's avatar
Apr 9, 2015

First part is first impressions, Final afterwards!

This anime is stupidly high in potential. This can go either be a brand new epic show that everyone needs to watch, or this is will go Sword Art Online and probably not do so well.

Lets not let this slide, if this focuses too much on the characters and doesn't tell us enough about the dungeon and the epic fighting slants off, Inbound will be a dungeon version of Sword Art Online which although i could still enjoy, after seeing SAO 2 I think I had enough.

To be honest, the action so far is great. As a watcher on Crunchyroll, the fact it isnt censored just adds to this series. The fighting that we have seen is nicely animated, and the characters so far are clearly great (If you have hung around enough, The Godess has already gathered silly amounts of fan art, and the protagonist seems like a lovable guy) so we have a nice start. The story is there and has started, and weirdly enough it is very Romance like. I personally thought that, judging the title, this would be a perverted anime with another Issei main character and full of giant, wonderful bewbies. I was mistaken though. Yes the anime has bewbies, but not too flashy, and the main guy seems awfully innocent for what would be implied by the main title. If I had to wrap this anime quickly, It has the nice characters and animation from SAO, but has the stats and environment of Log Horizon.

in other words, this show is on nice ground so far. It has a promising story, lovable characters, and animation worth noting. It certainly set itself high standards and we can only pray that this series doesn't flop too much in places.

RATING: 9/10 (With no sound to judge and early on, its too early to be a 5)

Finale

We reached the end, and to be honest my resolve to this show is Sword Art Online in Dungeons. I cant begin to describe the similiarities with the exception of IIWTTTPUGIAD being reality and not in a game. Its main focus has a handful of male characters and a whole audience of females that are worth the time. Each Female has their own charm and personality meaning in this show, there is bound to be atleats one Runner-up Waifu in there (Hestia and any Elf-girl plz).

A fantastic amount of action and adventure was poured into these 13 episodes, with all made dramatic and flashy. It has a nice balance of comedy in there too, and some nice time to build character relationships. The anime was nicely balanced for the 13 episodes it has and I promise you doesn't have the pacing issue Sword Art Online faced. It is interesting on every episode as they bring something or someone new into the story and is willing to keep you gripped right until the last second.

Although I didn't notice the OST in this series too much, the opening and ending for this show really does grow on you and you begin the love it more and more. I find the Ending very relaxing and a nice pace changer after the momentum you see in the show, not to mention its a beautiful song with a beauty of a voice.

A very nice show, fit for a large audience when it comes to anime. this will probably become another show that helps people get into anime, a Starter just like Death Note and Sword Art Online. It will definitely stay highly ranked for a long time and can see this getting a second season down the line if money begins to talk (Though Logically, the ending was fine and another season isnt particularly needed, but the Manga/Light Novels exist and can be acessed easily online).

Dont be fooled! this show may suggest an ecchi adventure but to be honest, its not. It just has a lot of beautiful 2D girls. It is a Harem show but its still enjoyable, and it doesnt ruin the rest of the series.

Rating: 9/10

Personal: 9/10 (That ending was nice and wasnt rushed, it was a well done series to the very end!)

TheAngryBears's avatar
Dec 11, 2015

If I had to describe "Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon"/"Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru darou ka", henceforth known as Danmachi for my own convenience, it would be "mediocre". Not offensive to my sensibilities both in terms of style and story (we'll get to that), but utterly lifeless and lacking ambition.

I'll state right now that I've made a few comparisons to Sword Art Online in this video, and in my review. But I don't dislike DanMachi for trying to copy SAO. I dislike it because its a lackluster, poor imitation of it. SAO has its fair share of problems, and I'd love a show that learns from its mistakes to be a great competator and show in its own rights. Then SAO would have to step up its game in exchange, and boom, we would have 2 good series. Maybe.

But that's not what happened here. DanMachi wanted to create a series similar to SAO to try to be close enough to rake in the attention and cash that exploded from that show. To the point where the only difference between Bell Cranel and Kirito is Bell duel wields daggers and has white hair. Same voice actor and everything. If one thing does make me happy about how much of an imitation DanMachi is, that means Bryce Papenbrook gets to look forward to cashing in a few more easy checks. And after Bravely Default, I kinda sorta really like the guy.

One thing that annoys me about this show is how it does a poor job at conveying if this world is real or not. I sincerely thought it was a game for awhile, with a Monster Hunter-esque guild organizing adventurers who wish to enter a giant dungeon. In addition, characters have a magic limit (or mind) that has a numerical rating, as well as "stats" of each hero. These are rated both with a number and a letter that denotes the rank of the skill. I didn't learn until I read the manga to fact check that this world is completely on the level. It runs on video game rules but once you die: Poof. You're dead.

The Dungeon appeared suddenly alongside various gods and godesses who decended upon the world, losing much of their powers but now can act directly within the world. Which beats living in cloud city where nothing happens. In one of the 2 genuinely interesting parts of this endeavor, a god/godess can bless humans to have them enter their familia. This confers upon the human a blessing that makes them more powerful, and a sweet back tattoo that acts as a psudo Dungeons and Dragons character sheet that only gods can read. It also lists various magic spells you've learned and any titles aquired. As a fan of MMORPG's and especialy D&D, I thought this was a really cool little detail. As I mentioned in the video: If DanMachi was better I would totally get that tattooed to my back.

Ahem, So the blessing acts as a visual representation of the heroes power that levels with that person. That gives them the strength to go deeper and deeper in the dungeon for....adventure. I guess. But a lot of this gets kicked in the head because the main character Bell Cranel aquired a mystical power after a run-in with a woman who saved his life in the dungeon and won his eternal affections: Bell magically draws in pussy like nobody else. I-I mean he gains the ability to grow in power incredibly quickly the more he loves someone who doesn't love him back. Both this and my joke are completely true. That means Bell goes from being a nobody to one of the most talked about heroes in literally 2 months, all the while attracting literally anything with a vagina save for the owner of a local bar, and the girl he's chasing.

I hate main character syndrome as a character trope. Bell becomes one of the best adventerors because he loves his Tsundere warrior waifu so much it overcomes just how innept he is. And believe me, he's pretty fucking stupid. Why was this useless white haired brat in the dungeon to begin with? His grandpa said saving a woman in the dungeon is a great way to get laid. Really. But her persists, through the AEWSUM POWR OF LURVE. This also leads to many, many of my gripes with this show.

For one: Even his patron goddess is hopelessly in love with him. I bring this up first because for how dumb, annoying, and so incredibly fucking dumb Hestia is despite being a goddess herself, at least they somewhat justify her affections. She's a minor goddess that no one knows about, and no one joined her familia as a result. So she has no money, no followers, nothing. Bell was the first person to join her Familia and Bell cares for her as family after losing his own. So at least I can understand when she gets OBNOXIOUSLY jealous over him. But Bell has no idea how much she wants to ride his black dagger, despite Hestia being incredibly unsubtle. Thats another cliche in anime I hate.

But nearly every female in the plot helps this inept, bumbling moron beause something about him makes them just want to fuck his brains out. EVEN THE MAIN VILLAIN. Freya, a goddess made popular for how much she loves fucking everyone, falls in love with Bell because she saw him running down the street for some shit. I guess this is either how much effort it takes to get a love goddess to want to fuck you or proof positive something in Bell (be it genetics, a skill or possibly some kind of sex pheremone) makes everything instantly want him. So she attempts to kill his patron goddess, then puts him in danger constantly to make him even more fuck-able to her. And she doesn't care if she kills him accidentally because if he does die she can grab his soul in transit to the afterlife and fuck his incorporeal brains out.

This is the same problem I have with SAO: Everyone just wants Kirito so bad. Women aren't just the things your main character ends up with. You got to give them more of a personality, and more motivations other than being the thing that romances the hero. And it sucks just how bland and mindless this show is. DanMachi is a show that has just enough in its foundation that could have made it great. Not only in its interesting world where gods and men intermingle to delve deeper in a giant dungeon, but also with Bell personally.

My video opens with Bell having a heart to heart with himself that occured after he opened a magic tome (which he aquired because Freya thought it would be hot if he knew magic). His alternate self is very critical of him, and he has to justify to himself why he wants to be a hero, despite how childish or simple his vision is. When chastised for his reasoning, he states resolutely that its simply who he is. What he is. From this he gains the power to use magic. This scene is, without any irony, fantastic. It becomes a reoccuring theme within the show too: That Bell wanting to be a hero, trying so hard to be a hero even though he was so bad at it, that eventually he becomes a hero. Maybe I'm a sucker for the becoming a true hero plot, but man is it a great scene that really shows off who Bell is.

Then it just...devolves back to SAO: Dating edition. Ugh. What a heartbreaker.

I can wax poetic about how cool an open world game based on this world could be, or if a more capable team and storywriter could make an unrelated story that takes place in this world. But for now, as of the time of this writing, and for what this show represents, DanMachi is an underwhelming flop. Its not the worst thing I watched or review but its so lifeless and bland in design. Its boring, and its glimmers of promise are by and far outweighed by just how mediocre this show is.

andreichekov's avatar
Feb 18, 2016

Boring as hell.

Others have picked apart why the story, characters, and all that are bad so I am just going to criticize the art.

It is decent given a glance, but it is soooooo cheap. In fight scenes there will be literally 2 screens flashed, and then things are often dealt with off screen.

Half the time the images shown are just one unchanging picture that can go on for several seconds, not even camera movement.

And the biggest offense was when they had two characters talking, and the camera just sat there on a still shot. They didn't even move their mouths as they were talking. They might have meant it to be telepathy that we were hearing, but they forgot to mention that if that is the case.