Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut - Reviews

Alt title: Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu

TLDR's avatar
Jan 5, 2022

Satisfying Conclusion?✔️ (Could continue on though?)
Emotional?✔️ (no tears here though)
Actual Romance?❌
Actual Comedy?❌
Fanservice/Nudity? ❌
Recommend?✔️

What is this anime?
Vampire girl is abducted to be a test-flight experiment to make sure a space flight is safe before humans go into space. MC is her instructor and is cool dude. He tries to get her safely into space and back, while also trying hard to make sure he's the first human in space.

Did I enjoy it?
It surprised me. From beginning to end it kept me entertained and wondering what would happen next. It's sad that the romance aspect of the show wasn't travelled more, but it is nice as it is. It ends on a good note where, while it could continue, it leaves me perfectly satisfied as to where it left off. Should probably warn that since she's a vampire and like everyone hates her she gets bullied sometimes so if you're sensitive to that just be aware.

7.8/10 overall
Atomsk777's avatar
Dec 22, 2021

This was surprisingly well done both from the visual and directing perspectives considering that this studio's previous work (Monster Girl Doctor) was mediocre in every regard. I especially like how Irina's eyes were drawn in some scenes with lots of intricate detail shown. And there's also some unusual artistic scenes throughout the whole series that were there to help express the overall mood. Story is set in an alternative USSR in the 1960s (I think?) which adds to the unique atmosphere this show has. I've never heard of any other anime with similar settings. The plot may seem nonsensicle at first but it actually works well and tells a story that is suprisingly coherent. The ending felt abrupt but I think that's because they wanted viewers to continue reading in the novel while also leaving a possibility for a second season? Great voice acting on Irina's seyuu's part also. She has the voice of Rei from Evangelion and the Japanese actress nailed the role perfectly. Very memorable. All in all I would definitely recommend for people who enjoy slower anime with a focus on character interactions instead.

7.8/10 overall
plankcaftan's avatar
Nov 29, 2021

This is much better than I initially expected. Good characters, nice setting, low, but still important stakes. And a real treat for the space race fans.

BrokenSparks's avatar
Sep 4, 2022

Someone was thinking about Vampires when the song Fly me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra started playing and this is what came out of it. The song fits so well with the story you could use the lyrics in a summary of it.

TheRogueNob's avatar
Dec 20, 2021

yeah im not sure what snake russian space race was supposed to be, is it a romance?not really, a show about race relations between vampires and humans? i didnt think so until the end, what about a good old space race? i would say yes but after the first half im not to sure. honestly its not really worth the watch it isnt long enough nor focuses on any of the three mentioned plotlines to allow for a fleshed out story. despite its good animation and music the rest of the show doe nothing to stand out. but hte number 1 issue is the lack of closure for a few points of the story they went super light on any commitment to almost every portion which definetly hurt it. if you do decide to watch dont expect too much otherwise thanks for the read and i hope you enjoy whatever show you watch next