InuYasha - Reviews

Yanagi13's avatar
Dec 13, 2010

Synopsis

InuYasha follows the exploits of a fifteen-year-old girl called Kagome, after she inadvertently falls down a well, and is transported five centuries back in time to feudal Japan. There, she encounters the half-demon boy InuYasha for which the series is named, and discovers that she is the modern-day reincarnation of a powerful priestess, felled fifty years earlier at the hands of an evil demon tyrant. Her adventures begin after she shatters the Sacred Shikon Jewel; said to grand its wielder unrelenting power. Along with InuYasha, she swears to collect all of the shards before they fall into the wrong hands.

Story (6/10)

Considering the fact that it is admired still by thousands of fans across the world, the combination of noticeable plot holes and overused character interactions appears to suit InuYasha just fine. For such a series, there is really no need for a plot development deeper than, “You two were in love fifty years ago?” That single phrase sums up large amounts of the story, simply due to the fact that InuYasha is, in short, a romantic time-traveling fairy tale with a demonic twist. It is captivating enough to absorb members of a mainstream audience, but should without a doubt stick within the zone of comfort that it presents to those viewers, while attempting to swerve away from more critical thinkers. Now, that isn’t to say that I didn’t enjoy it, because I most certainly did. Still, I must be practical, because even with the elements of fantasy and adventure that it overlooks, the plot of InuYasha remains so-so at best.

Animation (8/10)

It was evident since episode 1, that InuYasha was a fairly high-budget series. With drastic alterations in art styles spanning from the original manga by Rumiko Takahashi, it takes on a much more colorful and clean effect. Nevertheless, there were several moments when the animation thrust itself downhill, particularly close to where it was cut short at episode 167. It quickly regains its original momentum and vigor whenever key plot elements are introduced however. The character designs were bold and easy on the eyes, but reminded me somehow of a higher-budget Rurouni Kenshin. The battle sequences were poorly done, most likely because the animators had already spent so much money on the series’ gorgeous backgrounds. The swings of enormous swords and boomerangs were often represented by flashing white lines, which were enough to get the basic point across, but went no further than that. Overall, InuYasha’s animation was pretty, but nothing truly spectacular.

Sound (8/10)

Kauru Wada delivers a breathtaking score to InuYasha, coupling with its J-pop opening and closing themes. I admit that I listen to the tracks quite often on my free time, singularly the main theme, which combines cellos, violins and drums to create a beautiful effect. These pieces highlight the action and sorrow sequences perfectly, and in my opinion, are one of the major reasons why the InuYasha anime has been so well respected throughout the years. As I recall, my very favorite background themes always incorporated pan flutes at some point. This really took to my fancy because I simply adore flutes. As another category for sound, I was truly impressed by the English dub of the series, which I first watched as a part of the Adult Swim program on Cartoon Network when I was 7. The voices are all well performed and suite the individual characters, especially in comparison to quite a few dubs I’ve heard in the past.

Characters (6/10)

The characters in InuYasha are poorly introduced and poorly developed. They hardly manage to accent the series at all, and almost hurt it each moment a new character is established. In this case, I am specifically noting InuYasha himself. Although he grows in terms of emotional baggage, he remains both arrogant and selfish throughout the series. Considering the fact that there were many instances when I was able to predict his words before he spoke them, his personality is cliché as well. The relationship he shares with Kagome wasn’t truly interesting either, and again, was reminiscent of Rurouni Kenshin. This truth becomes especially noticeable when InuYasha’s transformations into a full demon are introduced. Every other character in InuYasha fits into a specific category. Shippou for example is the cute sidekick, and Miroku is the lecher with a dark past. I could go on much further, but I wouldn't want to ramble, and I believe that my basic point was made clear.

Overall (7/10)

InuYasha was certainly not a bad anime, far from it in fact. It was appealing enough that I managed to finish the entire series, as well as read the remainder of the manga and watch The Final Act when it was released. Still, there was just something about it that reminded me too much of Rurouni Kenshin. Nevertheless, Nobuhiro Watsuki's manga remains brilliant through my eyes, whereas InuYasha was easily forgotten, and composedly thrust beneath a mound of temporary highlights. With that said, I conclude by review of Rumiko Takahashi's, InuYasha.

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jul 11, 2012

NOTICE: This review covers both seasons.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

A few years before the Big Three became a thing, Inu Yasha was the show everybody was raving about. Even I was in love with it, during the initial episodes. The sheer amount of things that were happening at the same time, along with fast pace and lovable characters, made it an instant hook for everybody who loves action adventures. We were all hyped for what was going to happen next, since everybody could find something to like in it. It was a series for all ages and demographics, with character emersion, a multi-layered story, mystery, epic battles, romance, slapstick comedy, all wrapped up in a setting which was blending feudal and modern Japan in all its mythological glory. It was a phenomenon, a thing we all talked about and waited with anticipation, discussed and speculated.

But over the years, this image changed completely, and by now it became the reason I consider perpetual ongoing shonen to suck, romance anime not being about romance, and having high expectations for anything can only lead to disappointment.

ART

Visually, the show remains consistently very good throughout its duration, something very rare if you have watched enough long series. The constant switch from the daily life of modern times to the epic quest during the feudal era was very catchy, and there is variety in moods, as some episodes are comical, others are serious, and some are borderline occult horror. The character designs retain their level of detail, and overall fidelity improves in later seasons.

Small issues include how obvious it is to tell who is important by the way he is drawn. If a new villain looks lame, you know he will die right away because not much thought was put behind his conception. Also, although there are tons of visual effects that make it seem very epic, it can’t be denied how much more interesting the battles were at first, since there were far fewer energy attacks, and far more battle choreography. You know, stuff where the characters are moving and use martial arts, instead of throwing fireballs, or just dodging the other guy’s fireballs.

A simple Youkai-of-the-week needed at least one episode and lots of planning in order to be defeated. Yet, this wonderful feature went away in just 8 episodes, when Inu Yasha got himself a super sword that could kill any normal monster with a swing. A few dozen episodes later, he could kill a thousand monsters, without planning anything. After a hundred episodes, he was the second strongest creature in the world, with the first being the archvillain, and only because he was also constantly leveling-up.

STORY & CAST

To make a long story short, the first dozen or so episodes are amongst the best an action anime of its kind can possibly offer. They had a gazillion ideas, from time travel, to demon slaying, to a quest for magic relics, to revenge, to comedy, to romance, to drama, to mystery, to whatever you can think and love seeing in anime, unless you are an emotionfag who only watches them for cute girls doing cute things.

Beyond those episodes, everything starts to slow down, before going on an endless loop of chasing after the same villain again and again and again. It’s like Rumiko Takahashi forgot what show she was making, and went on producing more Ranma ½. And even then, she stopped caring because instead of wrapping everything after a couple of seasons, she kept making more and more arcs, where nothing actually changes. And by that I don’t mean the usual stuff all shonen have, like, how everyone wears only one set of self-repairing clothes and yells the names of his attacks, or how severe injuries are scrubbed off easily, as if everybody has fast regeneration. I mean, actual change.

Despite secondary characters being constantly introduced, and everybody constantly getting more power ups, nothing matters in the longrun, since the former do not add more character dynamics, and the latter become meaningless after a few episodes. Character development comes to a halt and gets replaced with shallow power creep. The different personal goals characters had at first, get replaced by having them all going after Naraku, which took away their individuality. There are many cases where you think something is finally going to change, only to regress back to status quo by the next episode. All you are left with, is watching fights with no tension, since you know Inu Yasha is the strongest, and the only reason each battle lasts more than 5 seconds is because nobody is using super-kill-everything special attacks right away. Let’s go over the major ones, and see how they evolved.

- Inu Yasha is the main character, but not the leader, since he is a pet at the hands of a Japanese high school girl, which of course constantly mistreats him, because Rumiko loves to have women torturing men. He begins as a tragic hero who hates his human side, and ends up as a delinquent, running after bad guys and the chick he likes.

- Kagome is said chick, which expresses her feelings by having the otherwise bad-ass half-demon that can kill a thousand monsters with a swing, being her lap dog. She starts off as a scared girl trying to return home, but as soon as that is over, she becomes more worried about getting to college than saving the time-continuum by a merciless demi-god.

- Miroku is a perverted monk who doesn’t miss the chance to feel some girl’s ass and be slapped really hard in return, since Rumiko loves to have women torturing men. It was funny the first 30 times but then it just became annoying, as he clearly loves someone, yet keeps cheating on her. He is cursed with a wind tunnel, which conveniently does more good than harm, since it can wipe out entire armies of monsters. It is also capable of defeating Naraku, who happens to be the one who gave him the curse, but magically couldn’t take it away after realizing how stupid that was.

- Sango is the girl Miroku loves, and is looking for a way to save her brother. But since this is not important up until the last episodes, she spends her time slapping Miroku and nagging like an old maid.

- Shippo is the cute mascot all such stories need. He had a reason for being with them in the first episodes, since he was trying to avenge the death of his father. But once that was achieved, he quickly turned into a comic relief character and moe-attraction for the fan-girls.

- So did Kirara, the bestial demon cat that was supposed to play a major part in defeating Naraku but ended up being just flying means of transportation for the gang and another cute kitten for the neko-lovers. And by the way, there is no fun in adventures, if the characters are no longer passing through interesting areas, and are instead flying over them.

- And let’s not forget of Sesshomaru, the coolest character and main antagonist, who starts off as trying to be the strongest youkai, and ends up becoming a babysitter and bishonen attraction for the fujoshis.

As you see, all the characters were cool and interesting at first, but the lack of a plot and the repetitive jokes, turned them into obnoxious idiots.

SEQUEL

The show was eventually discontinued, and left everybody disappointed for not getting any closure. Most followed the manga thereafter, and even then they were getting more of the same shit for several years, until the damn thing finally ended. Nobody cared about it anymore, and yet a couple years after the manga was over, the rest of it was animated regardless. There was some rejoicing by the old fans but it quickly died out as soon as the sequel series began, for the following reasons.

1) We knew how the story will play out. During the first series, we had no idea what comes next as the manga was still unfinished. But now, we were simply expecting to see things we already know about. The suspense was lost.

2) Said suspense was quite diminutive during the ending of the first series to begin with. The plot had grown so slow, repetitive and filler-like, we lost interest in it. Fillers and pointless power-ups can be fun for only a few episodes, yet Inu Yasha exceeded that amount a hundred times.

3) Said plot was very cheesy. It’s like a soap opera with monsters, revealing its bad side more and more, while constantly tempering with your patience and suspension of disbelief. If they are constantly time travelling, why isn’t the present affected in any way? How can Inu Yasha be in love with Kagome just because she has the same soul as Kikyo? Did Naraku waste hundreds of episodes running away from the wind tunnel he created himself, and chasing for dozens of episodes the shard he gave himself to Kohaku, and caused all this harm because of a simple crush he had on Kikyo?

4) The pacing was very erratic. The first series was moving too slow without going anywhere, the second series was moving too fast to let you care about anything.

5) After the first series ended, dozens of similar themed anime came out and attracted the interest of the fans. Horo’s sexy wolf ears were now the new trend over Inu Yasha’s ears, the Bankais in Bleach were far cooler than his Tetsusaiga, a schoolgirl going to a feudal magic world was far catchier in the 12 Kingdoms. What can I say, if you don’t keep the audience pleased, it will dump you faster than you can yell Kazenokizu.

6) The ending is a total cop-out. It contradicts the rules set by space-time in the well, neglects to offer a good finale for most secondary characters that were there for hundreds of episodes, and made Kagome to seem like she dumped Inu Yasha to finish school, for the sole purpose of dumping her career and return to him. What was the point of that??? “Kids, finish school before you elope because having a diploma in feudal times is very useful for women.”

EPILOGUE

The show is watchable if you seek mindless entertainment, but it gets really hard to care when you don’t get something new after dozens of episodes. It eventually wraps up things, and although the finale is a complete mess, it is still something most anime do not get to have. If they ever remake this show, then all they will need to adapt, is the first dozen and the last dozen episodes. And if they correct the terrible problems with character motives and inconsistent rules of time travel, it can be one of the best action adventures ever made. Until that happens, I consider this show to be a complete let down, and the reason I began hating shonen in general.

4.5/10 overall
Aurora3500's avatar
Oct 2, 2015

Premise: Inuyasha, a Hanyou (half-demon) who desires to steal the Shikon Jewel (Also known as the Sacred Jewel) is shot to a tree by the Priestess Kikyou and sealed to the tree to sleep forever. Around 500 Years later Kagome Higurashi, who happens to be the reincarnation of Kikyou stumbles into the shed of her family's Shrine grounds and is transported to the Warring States period in time. It is 50 years after the events of Inuyasha getting sealed to where Kagome arrives and has little choice, but to release Inuyasha from his seal to kill a demon which threatens the Village Kagome arrives in.

Story(8/10): Japan is the setting the story takes place in. The story is relatively basic. There are several mysteries surrounding why Inuyasha wants to become a full Demon, what really happened 50 Years ago in the Warring States period, and how Kagome is related to Kikyou. These mysteries are slowly uncovered throughout the story with each mystery being uncovered leaving the viewer wanting more.

The story jumps between the present day Modern Japan where Kagome's home and family are and the Warring States Period where Inuyasha and most of the other major characters live. Inuyasha is also able to travel to Kagome's time and these moments are used to expand on the relationship of Kagome and Inuyasha.

While the story starts out by Kagome accidentally shattering the Shikon Jewel into several fragments setting up the plot as a "fetch quest" the story really picks up after discovering more of the truth about Kikyou and Inuyasha 50 years ago and discovering that they were turned against each other by a Demon named Naraku. After learning about Naraku, the story shifts from a Fetch Quest for the Shikon Jewel and battling random demons, to focusing on the enemy Naraku who has manipulated the lives of Inuyasha and several other characters that eventually travel alongside Inuyasha to take down Naraku. It is the shift to dealing with the Antagonist Naraku which is what makes the story interesting instead of simply regathering the shattered Shikon Jewel Fragments.

Animation(9/10): This Anime was made around the year 2000, so the Animation is dated compared to modern Anime standards, but the Animation is very well done for its time. The antics of Inuyasha, Kagome and the other characters flow well, and the fight scenes are addicting to watch.

Sound(10/10): Masterful Soundtrack. The Soundtrack for this Anime was composed by Kaoru Wada who I found out about from watching this Anime, and he is a great composer. He has also composed for D. Gray Man, the 3x3 Eyes Ova, and other series. It is possible you may have heard of him from the other series. The soundtrack fits perfectly with the Anime, and you may find that you'll still remember this soundtrack long after you finish this Anime.

Characters(10/10): This show has many characters and overall, the main characters get very well developed, and the side characters also get developed.

The main character Inuyasha is refreshing to have as a Protagonist compared to other Anime. His personality could be considered Tsundere as despite how he acts rude, selfish, and somewhat arrogant, he really cares about his comrades as they have shown him what it is like to have bonds. Also considering his history as a Half-Demon, he was rejected by both Humans and Demons overall which didn't allow him to learn how to act in social situations very well. The only person who accepted him was his Human Mother (His Father is a Demon, which is how he is a Half-Demon, and Inuyasha's father is dead by the time the show begins). He goes through a lot of character development after meeting Kagome. It is very hard to dislike Inuyasha as he is very loveable taking his whole personality into account.

Kagome who gets involved in the events of the Warring States period brings a different form of kindness to Inuyasha than Kikyou did which slowly affects Inuyasha throughout the series. Also as Kikyou's reincarnation, there is a lot of romantic tension throughout the series with Inuyasha. Though unlike other series, the initial love/hate relationship with Inuyasha feels natural considering the time they spend together and the overall long length of the series making the developing feelings between Inuyasha and Kagome feel very believable and strong.

Little is known about Kikyou until later in the series all we know in the beginning was that she was the Priestess that protected the Shikon Jewel from Demons, and ended up sealing Inuyasha to a Tree for 50 years before she ended up getting cremated along with the Shikon Jewel which eventually comes back through Kagome, her reincarnation from around 500 years into the Present day.

Sesshomaru is Inuyasha's Half Brother who is a full Demon as both of Sesshomaru's parents are Demons unlike Inuyasha. Because of Inuyasha's Half-Demon heritage, he ends up at odds with Sesshomaru frequently. They fight over their Father's heirloom the Sword Tessaiga initially and this affects Sesshomaru's pride and slowly allows him to change towards more of an Anti-Hero rather than just trying to sabotage Inuyasha whenever possible.

Then there is the Demon Naraku who has affected the Lives of Inuyasha and the other characters with a level of cunning, manipulation, and ruthlessness unparalleled by any other Antagonist seen in a series. Throughout the show, Naraku's actions grow more and more despicable which causes the characters and audience to hate Naraku even more. Naraku manipulates other villains in the show to fight the main characters as well and even the other villains hate Naraku which goes to show how great of an Antagonist Naraku is.

Overall(10/10): Inuyasha is a long Anime series, so a fair amount of dedication will be required to watch it. It is 167 Episodes long (193 if you include the Final Act, which is a conclusion to this Anime series) Making around 200 Episodes. Despite this, I would still highly recommend Inuyasha to anyone. It has great elements of Fantasy, Demons, Action, Adventure, Romance, Friendship which means there's many things for many people to enjoy. In Inuyasha's case, the large amount of episodes are justified considering the great characters and overall plot elements. Inuyasha certainly lives up to be an unforgettable Adventure.

There is also little filler even though the series is long. The Filler doesn't take up an entire season like Filler does in series like Naruto and Bleach. It is normally contained in a few episodes before returning to the main story. If you're considering a "trial" for viewing this Anime before you commit to it, I'd recommend watching at least 20 episodes before deciding whether you'll dislike it or not.

nazertheyounger's avatar
Nov 14, 2014

By the way, all of my scores are on an average of 5.

Story: 7/10

For as much as I adore this anime, the story is actually rather simple; Kagome a middle school student travels through time and is in possession of a sacred jewel without her knowledge. This jewel is UBER IMPORTANTE! It pretty much makes you control the world, or so it seems in the story. Anywho, she accidentally breaks the jewel into a bunch of pieces. So Kagome and InuYasha her demon companion search for it. Yeah, that is pretty much all of the main storyline.

However, the anime branches out on a lot of background information, making the fantasy, fedual world of Japan seem so much more real. It shows the depth of the history of both the protagists, the antagonists, and the people who lie somewhere inbetween. Despite the simplicity of the main arc of the storyline, the producers wrote the story so that all the people who were experiencing, essentially this major struggle for power in the era, were portrayed. And while in many ways you understood that Kagome and InuYasha's cause was the right one, you could sympathise with the antagonist because you knew his backstory.

I found myself enjoying the way that the point of view was so neutral and how commonly it was switched between the varying people of the feudal era. There became so many shades of gray and I think it helped me come to the realization that no person performes an action out of innate evil.

As much as I talk about the transitions, I have to talk about how smoothly they were performed. Sure, at some moments I didn't want to go into another perspective, because suspense was buliding, but it only became a better experience because of that. They used this switch many times as a way to build suspense when it became necessary and I remember watching into the long hours of the night on my phone waiting for that one moment.

There is a reason why so many people still watch this anime, even after all the years. The world is wonderfully built, the backstories are FANTASTIC, and it has one of the most realistic, genuine stories I have ever seen.

Animation: 7/10

Obviously this anime isn't new, but the animation never bothered me. It is great animation for it's time, I gave it a score accordingly so. I don't necessarily know if this is a deal breaker for you, but I hope it isn't because, in all honesty, this is one of the greatest anime of all time.

Sound: 9/10

Now most anime have a better opening and ending then they do ost's, but this anime turns that stereotype on it's head. Usually, I skip past the openings and endings because to me (at least) they feel like they don't fit the anime. However, when you get to the music that plays in the midst of the action IT SOUNDS LIKE HEAVEN RAINING CHOCOLATE AND CAKE. I bought all that I could from Itunes, because I am literally addicted.

Characters: 10/10

This anime has the best characters that I have ever seen... ever. Because of how it shows everyone's backstories, it can give you sympathy for people do hideous immoralities. The way that you learn to love each individual character becomes your own journey, even as they develop bonds with each other.

The absolute best relationship in this anime is the bond between InuYasha and Kagome. They start out as people who vehemently hate one another, yet as time passes they slowly become so close that they become the best of friends. It isn't cliche at all either, which I adore. It isn't where they wake up one day and suddenly can't live without the other. It grows so subtly that you don't even realize what happened.

Overall: 8.8/10

One of the classics. Known for it's characters, relationships, flawless world-building, and unbias point of view. Go watch this anime now!

8.8/10 overall
mustardbomb's avatar
Apr 22, 2013

Dragon Ball Z sets the bar pretty low for shows that only include "durfighting" for their entire run. Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu-Yu Hakusho, all bad shows, but they're at least above DBZ. Enter Inuyasha.

You've heard of the bar being low, Inuyasha grabs hold and drags it to the depths of hell.

A black hole of virtually anything enjoyable, I can't see how most anyone could possibly enjoy this.

But alright, enough bland insults and let's get to some analyzing!

The premise (I refuse to call it a story) of the series is the ultimate in McGuffin: A random jewel breaks into an indiscernible amount (Yay for flexible episode numbers!) of pieces and a bunch of jack-wagons have to run after it.

Characters? No, not characters, just stand-ins.

Inuyasha himself is just the typical "gotta get stronger derp" protagonist we've seen a thousand times before. Kagome is an awful Mary-Sue, and their entire troupe is composed of virtually the same person in a different costume.

The villains, every. Single. One. Don't show any emotion short of ambivalence. You can't hate these people, root against them, because they aren't people. Just bored voice actors reading lines of what, ultimately, is for five year-olds.

The art direction and animation in this series is the worst. For something that relies heavily on action, they sure show very little of it. Stilted animation, "telling, not showing", and the old trope of reusing shots are plentiful here. If you weren't actively looking for it, the action would pass you by in an instant.

With a terrible premise, bad acting, little in the way of actual animation, there is just no show here to even review; there is nothing to watch. As such, there is nothing to enjoy. This show gets, and earns, a 1 in every conceivable category, and that is simply irrefutable.