In Search of the Lost Future - Reviews

Alt title: Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete

haize78's avatar
Jan 27, 2015

This anime has some potential but it doesn't live up to it at all. The story doesn't start to get interesting until episode 9: I was seriously tempted to drop it because up to that point it's quite boring. Maybe they thought they were building up the characters in the first 8 episodes, I've got no idea, but if that was the intent I must say they failed. And when the story finally starts to kick in, I had a repeated feeling of deja-vu. Apart from Steins;gate that is easily the first one that comes to mind, the plot also made me think of Higurashi no naku koro ni kai and Kimi ga nozomu eien. So if you've already seen those 3 anime you can probably piece the plot together. But the problem isn't so much that the topic has already been dealt with in  other anime, it's just that it fails to hit the target. The premises are there for a really dramatic story, but in the end it isn't; it could have been a love-story, but I get the feeling that the romance element was there just as an excuse for...what? So it's like there isn't a clear aim for any of it. One of the topics is time travel, which is an extremely interesting and thought-provoking theme, but they skillfully manage to turn it into something quite dull. Hell, there's also something there at a certain point about the creation of artificial and intelligent life forms, but the theme isn't explored nor are the consequences or implications analysed, so it's just a ripple on the surface of a plot that continues to flow into nothingness.

As for the characters, considering that 3/4 of the anime is dedicated to building them up and exploring their feelings and the relations among them, they should be really good - but they aren't. Just plain average. And not even particularly entertaining. Two boys and three girls part of the astronomy club at school, they start preparing for the school festival. And you basically get 8 episodes just of that, with the usual love triangle. I have nothing against a school setting or a love triangle, but there has to be some depth to it. Which is lacking here. The only interesting character is Yui, a mysterious transfer student who one day appears out of no-where. And if you stop a second to think about it, the main male protagonist treats her abominably - but that is just the object of a passing remark made by one of the other characters. So the message that seems to come across is that using someone to that degree is acceptable.

Sound and animation are average, or less than average. Nothing note-worthy in any case.

In my opinion, it's just not worth wasting your time on this anime.

4.5/10 story
4.5/10 characters
4.5/10 overall
RoBorg's avatar
Jun 17, 2016

Anyone of you knows about the Butterfly Effect?
This anime is it. And it tells us not about the hurrycane, buth rather of the butterfly.
With the difference that in this Butterfly Effect, the enemy is the destiny that says "no butterfly can change my design". You'll see.

The real kick of the story is shown in just a couple episodes. I would generally claim that this is bad, and boring, and useless. This is not the case, however.

All the other episodes show, at times, some things that help you remember the details, those ones that make you remember that it's not just as it appears now.

And the real deal, the thing that gave some more points in my story evaluation is the focus of the anime. It's not an original and never-seen story. It's not. But it's seen from another angle. It's not the hardships or the plans of the grown man you see in the first episode, although that's a central part of the events. No, it's about all the events that lead him to do what he is trying to do.

It's not an anime about the solution of the problem, with the problem shown as already there in the first episode and now on with grenades and shotguns to solve it.
It's how the whole story slowly took form, brick by bricy. Again and again. And the butterfly that tries to move its wings so that it won't do any harm.

I feel sorry for the butterfly. =(

Good, nothing exceptional. I feel they could have avoided some censorship, it would still have been just sweet without becoming simple fanservice. Wich is a thing that it's not really that much present in the anime. And that's good.

You know, the song is catchy. Also the voice lines are well performed.
It's just that it doesn't require a lot of sound effects to be judged. It's mostly dialogues. But they are well done.

My favoured is Kenny.

Aside that, I actually really appreciated them. There are some cliché in the main characters. However you don't really feel that way.
I don't really know how to say it. It's just that in their normality, they offer something special without being exagerated, without all the drama usually involved in many other shows.

They aren't heroes. Thei aren't special. They are just egoistic and generous, happy and sad, childish and mature, in a way that feels so very natural.

Overall

Strong first episode, but then it quiets down, slowing to a very relaxed rhythm.

I have seen boring anime and this one is different. It’s not boring, it’s just… relaxed, very relaxed.

Up to the point that you forget about the first episode and just enjoy a slow romance anime. I say romance because that’s what it is closer, in the end, but even the sentimental part takes a while to even show up.

Despite this fact, I enjoyed the view.

Some small things, smartly placed through the course of the middle arc of the anime, keep the events of the first episode in a far and weak light, but still in sight. Sometimes an image, sometimes a sentence, sometimes a photo.

And one single time, a word. One word, alone, and you start thinking that you start to understand.

Until the moment when the anime says a "stop". Time for the young romance is over. It’s time to put zoom out, and take a look to the whole story in its big design.

And you understand. You really understand, this time. You understand that it is nearly as you thought, but slightly different.

And you are like "Oh…".

This is then brought to a climax in the last two episodes, where the story, all the stories, converges to a single ending.

An ending that I, as an engineer, I have really, really appreciated. Call me sentimental.
How the many stories in the end mix, shake, and produce one true ending, one that merges everything.

I am not a big fan of slow developing anime. But this one is handled with such a finesse that I cannot help but say that it’s slow, indeed, but for once this lack of dynamics exalts the story, softening the ground for an adrenaline jump without any risk.

It is far from getting into my favorite lists, but if you are not looking for strong feelings or dynamic action, but instead for something to cuddle you before going to sleep, you might appreciate this anime.

kroan19's avatar
Jun 17, 2015

Для начала, могу сказать что это очень хороший копи-пейст... я знаю откуда, но не об этом речь...

Аниме очень растянуто... Идея хорошая, но 12 серий для этой идеи слишком много... Показывается это все за 6 серий и тогда был бы успех... а так к 3ей серии начинал засыпать, к середине проснулся, стало интересно, к концу начал засыпать, 11 серия заинтересовала, прям почти исправили все мое мнение о аниме, но испортили все 12ой серией, меня конец не удовлетворил... короче сюжет не плох для куска другого аниме, но 12 серий... слишком затянуто вышло...

Рисовка не плоха, хотя некоторые моменты мне не очень понравились.

Персонажи ну просто скопированы, даже цвета волос... я из за всех сил пытаюсь это игнорить, и смотреть на это, как на что то независимое... Ок, главный герой меня бесит, я не понимаю мотив половины его действий и поведения... Героини меня все устраивают... кроме одной... ну хотя и там терпимо... Словом, тут косяки есть, но не критичные...

В общем, были моменты трогательные, интересные, но в большую часть аниме мне было скучно, потому что было много какой то повседневности, школьной жизни, которая меня мало интересовала... обычность она и за пределами экрана кругом... смотреть на это еще и на экране не очень интересно... общее впечатление 5/10...
п.с. там, откуда скопировали идею было лучше...

DATABASEERROR's avatar
Jul 13, 2016

My anime reviews are always simple, short and straight-forward and is 100% spoilers-free.

Genres: Drama, Romance, School, Sci-fi

Additional Info: Your mind will splatter and you'll need to find it in the 13th dimensional world. Get your brittle mind ready for breaking apart.

Ending Rating: 90%

Short Review:

This what always happens when the anime makes the timeline their plot playground. Things complexity sky rocket to space very fast that even Einstien can't comprehend in such animes. However, this anime is a hidden gem overall despite all the mind breaking things its pros are still dominant.

9.5/10 characters
9.1/10 overall
krofire's avatar
Apr 11, 2023

Studio Feel’s 2014 High School time-travel drama-romance really adds such little to the genre that one wonders how it ever got committed to the small screen. When you see a show this bad you can only conclude that it was based upon a visual novel. And yes, it was. Originally developed for Windows the branching plot lines are hinted at during the anime with various dead-ends that do not get explored. Thankfully the anime does not have the principal character having sex with the girls as the gameplay does. The show makes little effort to build tension or mystery. The character Kaori Sasaki dies in the first episode then reappears hinting heavily that we are jumping backwards and forwards in time. The strange goings-on, earthquakes and ghosts, then sudden appearance of the naked Yui Furukawa early in the show broadcasts the plot loud and clear. Yui is a time traveller sent back to save Kaori’s life – and that isn’t a plot spoiler since it is obvious up front. The only question is: will she succeed? The story does build interest towards the end as Yui’s efforts become completely frantic but there is nothing here we have not seen before in better time travel dramas. This sci fi genre has been done so well on screen over the years that we are spoilt for choice. Everything from “The Time Traveller’s Wife” to “Paycheck” to “Predestination” and beyond the genre has its classics. The idea of time travel lends itself to brilliant story ideas that, when told well, can be rich in entertainment value. Or they can fall flat on their faces like “In Search of the Lost Future” does. It adds absolutely nothing and just goes through the paces of being mediocre. Maybe if you liked the gameplay then you would like this. However, for any true sci fi fan it comes over as really mundane. The writing is as flat as a pancake and the audience has no reason to give the slightest care for any of the characters. It finally concludes with something of a happy ending having ditched anything like more intriguing plot twists along the way. At any point where you might think the story will take off in some novel direction is just lets you down. Maybe the writers thought they had something poetic going on here. Sadly, it just doesn’t work. There is no emotion, no drama, no twists, nothing original. There is no reason to really watch it as it builds-up to precisely a whole lot of nothing.