If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord - Reviews

Alt title: Uchi no Ko no Tame Naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru Kamoshirenai.

Crua9's avatar
Sep 19, 2019

This is a must watch. It's slow pace, relax feel, and it being a true slice of life is like taking a mini-vacation each episode.

The bad thing is, Dale who is basically the girls adopted dad. You can tell the girl is wanting to get with him in a romantic way when she grows up.

Also, I'm not sure how well this will be with back to back episodes. I watched it as it was coming out. I believe it might get a bit boring if you marathon it.

9.9/10 overall
lionman00's avatar
Jun 17, 2020

A bit of a dissapointing watch. If you are hoping for a fantasy dad/daughter fluff, well.... you will get that  but it wont be as fulfilling.

The premise and quite a few things within the story held so much potential. It all leads to basically nothing.

I wouldnt bother watching this unless you have already went through all single parent/childcare/etc. anime.

Also the whole anime becomes kinda uncomfortable when you find out that the main character married and had children with his "daughter" in the original work.

jaws14's avatar
Oct 13, 2019

SPOILERS

This anime is a great example of something that had a lot of potential but dropped off very quickly. The first two episodes of this show were really refreshing. They showed a bond between a daughter and father that had to overcome cultural differences. Watching Latina grow over the first two episodes felt rewarding, and i wanted to see more of her. However, this feeling almost immediately fell off as by episode 3 Latina was basically fluent in English cause ya know two days to learn a fucking language.

If that wasn't bad enough the animation quality felt like it dropped by a large maragin from the first episode. Maybe i am being picky but it saw it a lot more in later episodes. Lifeless backgrounds, sloppy facial movements, boring magic, i felt the series declining. If it wasnt for a friend i probably would have dropped it. Moving on from animation, Dale. OH BOY OH BOY DALEEEEEEE. This annoying little shit would not shutup period. He was exteremly perdictable after 1 episode, and i found myself counting the minutes till the episode would end so his boring 1 dimensional personality was off my screen.

The music wasnt bad, so i dont really have much to say about that. Last but not least, plot. What the fuck was even the point? Now i have seen a good amount of slice of lifes but this was just no. Rather than seeing cute girls or a cute bond it was just some random adventurer try to pamper his adopted daughter. Boring and repetitive. Hopefully the studio will produce something with better animation next time. Not blaming them for this shit show or the manga its pulled from.

3.5/10 animation
3.4/10 overall
captivus's avatar
Aug 11, 2019

Wanna know what's awesome about getting old? It's actually a whole plethora of things.

You don't have to keep up with what's 'hip' and 'trendy' (that's for people who get you Your coffe ... unless You made some wrong turns in life) or try very hard to make You look more successful than You really are. Sure, You get fatter, balder and much, MUCH more cynical but ... you know ... you get Your own apartment and independence and ... and ... and a VERY pretty apartment that you furnish yourself alright?

Having said that - this anime is a perfect guilty pleasure of older people.

First - the story.

There is none.

A bland, forgettable Hero takes care of his newly found stepdaughter. Either You get it or You don't.

Second: the animation.

This is one of those bland-and-forgettable fantasy worlds that are based on some generic game so ... it's not perfect.

Having said that the daughter character is adorable, so I'll give it 9 out of 10.

Third: the sound.

The sound is ok. I can't really say anything more about ... again.

Try to be more distinctive Anime!

Music design is one of the more important parts of any visual media !!

Fourth: the characters.

The characters and the relationships between them are the strong points of the series. They're horrible and forgettable - at first glance. The whole point of the series though is to show the audience how and why people change when they have children in their care. When You judge the show and the characters based on this premise it's pretty great.

I mean ... the characters are so boring ... but how they react to our stepdaughter is sooo adorable ... and relatable. Our main protagonist especially has a distinctive arc - if You can count attitude towards childcare as a character progression.

Verdict

If You're nearing or over you 30-ties - try out this show. It won't change Your world, but it sure as hell will put a smile on Your face.

DrakeParker's avatar
Jul 14, 2021

The best girl is Latina but that is it.

Latina is a demon banished by her tribe who was subsequently found by 18-year-old adventurer Dale. This show is filled with cute moments and not much else. It's one of those chill fantasy shows where you don't have to worry about a demon lord invasion killing off a whole town; though bad demons do play a minor part in the plot of an episode.

The show tries to spice things up by introducing cooking though it makes little sense why, the only reason given is that she wants to be more of a help, but she is 8 when Dale found her and 10 when the season finishes (not much of a time skip).

The show also introduced us to a beast man who knows Dale and his child who falls in love with Latina and also fantastical talking beasts who also fall in love with the child.

The show is filled with Awws, that's adorable, and cute moments.

If watching the dub Ryan Brantley's (Latina) high pitched voice gets annoying quick, if you watch the sub, you'll notice that Dale's voice is a less coarse version of Katsuki Bakugo that's because his VA is Nobuhiko Okamoto who does Bakugo.

In my opinion the show could have done things better like create some more action scenarios to keep the viewers attention on the screen. One episode for example dealt with human traffickers trying to kidnap Latina but the end result was anti-climactic.

5.5/10 sound