I Want to Eat Your Pancreas - Reviews

Alt title: Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai

Sadspacekitty's avatar
Feb 2, 2019

It’s  basically  the cheap thrills equivalent of a heart throb. Yea it does the job, but it doesn’t bring anything new, the writing isn’t particularly inventful, and the execution is good but not masterful. Definitely worth the watch, but no reason to rush to.

Story: 2 main protagonists, one has a messed up pancreas, and the other is a dopey useless guy. Wow, what do you think will happen, well yea there’s a few twists but the effect would be the same without them. So you can basically guess the basic plot within the first seven minutes.

There’s nothing really original except for the Pancreas motifs... I think one of the reasons for this may have been the limitations of the runtime, the ideas that were trying to be expressed couldn’t be developed past the surface level without more time, or resorting to too much intermonoluge. Although better pacing may have helped, it did bouge down in sections.

Animation: The background art, and character designs are definitely above average, but overall are somewhat generic. The chosen style doesn’t add anything to the story, or the emotional impact of certain scenes. The only negatives about the animation were a few scenes of janky vehicle movement, although I doubt most people would notice.

Sound: The music and voice actors are of adequate quality, they do their job without anything extra, exactly like you’d expect from this type of movie. Weirdly tho some of the diegetic sounds just seemed a bit off.

Characters: Sakura is a reasonably developed, and believable character. Her motivations and attitude make sense considering her situation. Although she could of been fleshed out a little more, maybe giving her more back story would of helped with that.

On the other hand Haruki is the generic jerky block of wood character. Like it’s not hard to have character development when you start off with zero personality,  notable positive characteristics, or even basic social decency. There also isn’t any real rational given for this either, he’s just like that, which makes him more of a catrature than a person. Also most of the development occurs right at the end which seems a bit cliche.

The other characters are forgettable….

TLDR: add it to your ever growing “want to watch”  list, and watch it at some point whether that be a month or a year.

7.7/10 story
8.2/10 animation
6.3/10 sound
7.2/10 characters
7.6/10 overall
Balam's avatar
Jan 16, 2019

This type of story has been tackled by a few animes in the past so in someways it feels a little generic. But it's just so heartfelt and engaging that it never feels forced and therefore the tears that most viewers will shed feel honest and deserved.

Some will draw parallels with Your Lie In April but for me it was closer to A Silent Voice with the protagonist unable to interact with anyone and the romantic relationship left a little ambiguous. Like A Silent Voice the film is really about the growth and development of the protagonist as a person rather than the romance.

Still a beautiful film though, definitely recommended and worthy of your time.

senpaidev's avatar
Feb 3, 2019

This movie is simply beautiful. It makes you happy, sad, makes you laugh your ass off as well as makes you cry enough to finish a box of tissues. It has its ups and downs, and it warns you from the beginning of what is about to come. This movie will probably be the highlight of 2018 - 2019. It has the story, the music and the visuals to reach Koe no Katachi or Kimi no Na. Wa. levels. All in all, it is a movie that makes you appreciative of the friends and family and the life you have. I know that kinda sounds deep, but I'm pretty sure the movie will resonate with you on that level too. I simply cannot imagine watching this movie again and not shedding a tear, by that I mean it isn't that sad, it just ticks all the right boxes at the right places. Even while I write this review, the scenes all come back to my mind, they remind me a little about the time I saw Clannad or say 5 cms per second or even spirited away for that matter.

I would like to conclude by saying this, watch this movie even if you dislike romance, school life, drama or any other genres this movie touches, for I believe this movie sure will touch your heart.

Aniosophy's avatar
Nov 5, 2020

Prefix (No Spoilers):
So, for the path couple of months ever since this movie came onto my radar I have been dragging my feet to watch it, because I just didn’t think this movie was right for me, and if it was really worth watching wouldn’t it be more popular? But boy was I wrong. This film is some of the saddest most heart-wrenching anime shit I have seen in my entire life, the amount of emotions this movie makes you feel in such a short amount of time is an accomplishment in it of itself. Like guys before I even get anywhere near spoilers, if you have not watched this movie, do yourself a favor and watch this film right now yes the name seems kind of weird at first, and yes it might not be that popular, but guys this movie makes you feel so empty in such a short amount of time it is actually incredible. Ok, the rest of this may contain slight spoilers for the film, if you are ok with that you can keep reading, there will be a point near the end where I’m going to spoil the ending, but I will mark that very clearly with MAJOR SPOILER in the title.

Animation (No Spoilers):
The animation in this film approaches this story in a very subtle way, no objects or people really stand out that much from their surroundings, but within this subtleness, there is sort of warmth and softness to the film that really gives it this intimate feel. From the very beginning of the film you trust these characters, you can connect with them on a fundamental level that I typically do not see in many other films. Because of this familiarity and trust, I found myself actively listening to what the characters were saying without even realizing that time with passing. The warms this animation radiates touches (at least me) on a level that I wasn’t expecting when I first saw the trailer for the film. At first, I thought in this animation was bland and not distinct in their approach, but as I actually watched the film I realized that this warmth and familiarity given off by the animation made time fly by so much faster as the films goes through the story, and by building off this momentum of trust the character progression and plot of the film kept this flow alive till the very end of the film.

Characters (Minor Spoilers):
Really there is only one thing I really want to talk about in this section and that in the connection between Haruki and Sakura. The dynamic between Sakura and Haruki is so heartwarming throughout the entire film that it really did make this film for me. Just how they really improve one another’s best qualities, as well as helping each other come to terms with their worst impulses, is lovely to see. For Haruki, Sakura is the one that finally convinced him to open up to others, before he was afraid of making interpersonal connections because of the inevitable hurt they bring, but now because of Sakura, he knows that those connections are what life is all about. And for Sakura, Haruki Is the one that finally made her feel confident about herself, he showed her how to find her self-worth, not by depending on other people, but by thinking for herself. Because of this connection, both of them were able to grow to be more fulfilled versions of themselves, and that it’s just another beautiful part of this story.

Story (MAJOR SPOILERS):
Guys I don’t know about you, but this movie hit me so hard that I had to pause it TWICE and take a walk around the block to cool down, first when you realize at the cafe that that was the last text he sent to her, and then second when you find out that she didn’t die because of the pancreas disease but because of that random stabber that has been on the loose since the beginning of the film.

You know just earlier today I with criticizing a different movie for having heavy-handed metaphors forced into the film, but HOLY SHIT the fact that she died from a stabbing to show that death really comes unexpectedly, and no matter how prepared you think you are you never are prepared enough, WOOF, such a soul-crushing and appropriate uses of this metaphor. I actually really liked this twist, because the one thing the film keeps emphasizing to put your mind at ease about the sickness is that she has time, don’t worry about the sickness today that is for future you to worry about, and the one thing this curveball shows you is that you don’t have time, every moment is precious, and you should treat each one like your last, because you never know if it is going to be. This film really is the epitome of the phrase “roller coaster of emotions” because this film has such highs of happiness, and such lows of sadness, that it really is a rollercoaster of emotions, where it feels like you have to catch your breath at the end of the experience. I don’t even know how to end this section, because I’m still riding on the high of emotions after finishing this film, so let’s move on.

Conclusion:
In the end guys, I honestly loved every minute of this film, there was not a single moment in this film where I felt like checking my watch or seeing how much runtime is left, because I was glued to my screen for every minute of it. So, when reviewing this fact, I’m just going to give this film a 100/100 because I honestly cannot point out a single flaw big enough to justify not giving it a perfect score. A movie that (for the past few months I have been pushing off) ended up getting a perfect score, really just is a testament to how much of an emotional rollercoaster this film truly is. It is honestly mind-blowing to me that this film isn’t more popular in the anime community, because (for me) it did everything right. Not to mention, this film ties it’s name into the story a heck of a lot better than Your Name, so all in all, again if you haven’t seen this film yet I highly HIGHLY recommend you take less than 2 hours out of your day to watch this phenomenal film, I promise you will not regret it😉😉😉

Jessisamess's avatar
Jan 11, 2019

So, I went into this expecting a love story where one of our main protagonists deals with pancreatic cancer. I was expecting to be hit in the feels and was. Let's move on to the review.

The plot for this Anime was pretty straight forward and very much conveyed the mental state of someone who is putting up a front to protect others from their own battles and demons. Sakura is a girl who has been diagnosed with cancer where by chance she encounters our nameless protagonist who we later find out it is actually called Haruki (so not nameless). We follow along as these two polar opposites interact and help each other grow as people while participating in fun activities and adventures. But, like most forms of cancer Sakura has been given a time frame before she dies, And this is when the anime plot progresses with her and Haruki, living with her dying and getting the most out of life before she dies, even if its just hanging out in a library or going to a cafe.

I want to eat your pancreas had beautiful backgrounds and art that is no less then breathtaking each scene is a delicate touch that just brings the emotion to life. The characters are plain but that in no way means that the designs aren't brilliantly done.

I thought the voice actors chosen for this anime were perfect, they were successful in having that ability to bring the characters to life - no more can be said well done!

Sakura - I didn't know what to expect with her and I didn't know if she was going to be fitting that cookie cutter mould. I suppose some of her traits were, but what I really loved about Sakura was her ability to change the people around her even when she was diagnosed she didn't let that change who she was nor did it stop her from doing the things she loved. Her character was very accurate to how I would expect people in real life to act - putting up a tough front around others and alone she would cry, she clearly has come to terms that she will eventually die and even though she does bring it up she smiles through the pain but as we see her more and more we learn that on the inside she's terrified, terrified to die to hurt others to leave behind those who are special and that's why I think the writers perfectly portrayed that emotion of 'living with dying'.

Haruki - On the other hand we have our other protagonist the one whose perspective we're seeing. Haruki has had trouble with people constantly thinking in his mind that no one likes him. which has caused him to separate himself from society. He was constantly keeping to himself and himself alone until that fateful day where he met Sakura. What I loved about Haruki was his CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. He went through so many changes in the few months where he met Sakura, who wanted nothing more than to help him change - break out of his bubble and rejoin society. We see him through his best and worse moments and by the end of the film. (SPOILER) He's finally able to accept himself and the world around him even without having Sakura there anymore. So yeah good job my boy.

Overall this was a beautiful tragedy and I highly recommend.

Thanks for reading <3