I Can’t Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread

Alt title: Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2-sure-me

Add review
Gzerble's avatar
Sep 24, 2016

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread carries on from where the first season ended. This is still the story of a young married couple, who still (despite being married for over a year) find each other inexplicable at times. Here ends the dry description and starts the subjective view.

This series is an honest to god feel-good slice of life show that might exaggerate a bit, but is grounded in realism. I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread is the greatest example in anime of a positive adult relationship. The levels of adorable here are so extreme that it usually requires fluffy animals and/or adorable children to match.

I've gone a bit more in depth about last season, but the three minute runtime of each episode means that once you remove the ending credits, you are with about half an hour of content. It is worth every second. I love the characters, and I love how I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread parades around just how silly people are about relationships, how supposedly deep advice is actually kind of silly, and how preconceived notions don't really have a lot of place in a relationship after a while.

There are a few moments where the show was a tad more gimmicky than the first season. That's fine. It's still amazing. Watch it now.

9.5/10 characters
Sadweeb's avatar
Jun 19, 2015

This review isn't going to be an over all review of the show, but rather an observation ive made that will justify my scoring of this show (for at least the relevant fields).

This second season, now that the flashbacks have ended and the show is resuming from the end of Season one is doing something I feel is very very good.  I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying (both first an dsecond thread) is portraying a VERY real relationship between young adults.

The portrayals of Kaoru and Takeru show both sides of their relationship. Depending on who is in focus, you see their daily life, hear their internal thoughts and see how they deal with difficulty. By seeing how they deal with difficulty, we get to see heir support groups who are in turn the supporting cast of the show.  I think seeing Kaoru and takeru talking to their friends and getting advice for their relationship and life are really important and contribute to how incredibly healthy thier relationship is.

The problem they face is a real life thing. Their desicion to carry Kaoru's pregnancy to term is a huge new thing for both of them and completely changes how they live their lives. I think this storyline is really important because of how they handle it. They talk to each other, Takeru is worried he wont be a good father so he talks to friends about how to deal with it.

What gets me a lot is that, aside from some comedic exaggeration, they could be completely real people, and this anime actually does an incredible job of showing how to, really healthily, handle this kind of situation.  I don't know the exact demographic for this anime, but as a 23 year old anime enthusiast (and wildly strange person) I see a collosal amount of myself in Takeru and even a good portion of my girlfriend in Kaoru. seeing Takeru and Kaoru going through with her pregnancy makes a fantastic guide for people my age, especially otaku who might have even more trouble socially, to understanding how to react to something with as much gravity as what they're facing in the anime.

Sy0592's avatar
Oct 8, 2016

It was a pleasant surprise to see another thread of this anime
because I had already a positive opinion regarding it.
It is a short, fun, easy to watch anime.

HurricaneHarger's avatar
Apr 23, 2018

This show is terrible. Such an eye sore, and is trying way too hard to be funny. if they would dial down and then maybe this could have been better.

2.8/10 overall