Hetalia: World Series - Reviews

galacticdude7's avatar
Apr 26, 2011

-Story-

Even though I still found the story to be entertaining with all of the jokes and historical references that I love, it just did not seem to measure up to Hetalia: Axis Powers. I feel that Axis Powers was better than World Series. I felt that this was because of the exploration of the other countries in the series other than the main Axis and Allies characters, while it was good, it made me wish that I could watch more of the Axis and Allies. Also the jokes didn't seem to be as funny as the jokes in Axis Powers. I felt that World Series was a decent series in its own right, but it fell short of my expectations from the previous series.

-Animation-

Same great animation from Axis Powers returns here in World series, with the excellent character designs.

-Characters-

I fell in love with the Axis and Allies from Axis Powers, and the few various other characters that they ran across there, but I just did not feel the same connection with the characters who got more time in World Series that I did with the Axis and Allies. While they still play a major part in the series, they are not as big and have to share the spotlight with characters I did not connect to as well in World Series. Some exceptions include Prussia and Hungary, which I found quite funny and entertaining to watch, but I did not like Poland so well, and I'd have to say that he is my least favorite character in the series. While the vast majority of the other characters are also good, I just didn't feel the same connection with them as I did the Axis and Allies.

-Overall-

While I still enjoyed World Series, it fell short for me due to the expectations I had of it from Axis Powers. I would still recommend it, but it is not as good as Axis Powers.

angelsreviews's avatar
Aug 7, 2013

I love it still! There are a lot of times where the third season isn’t as good as the first and second but this one isn’t one of them! It’s hard not to have the second season of a comedy go bad though it can happen.

Prussia’s attitude is spot on, giving him the somewhat annoying feeling but with that awesome felling we get. I really don’t get his voice though. I would of thought it would be a bit closer to Germany’s instead of Austria’s accent.

Even though Germany and Italy are separate, we still get times where Italy is sneaking into Germany’s bed still! This show actually reminds me a lot of why people want to do most of the pairings; it shows a lot more of the feelings between the nations and opens up possibilities into what they feel. Some things that they say actually can be taken wrong and give girls like me who am into Yaoi a chance to swoon because of it. I really want them to actually create a new season because there are so many characters that came up at the end of the show and they really need to show them more!

The OVA doesn’t really feel like an OVA in a sense because of how close it is to the actual show that I don’t know why they didn’t just put it together.

The artwork is the same as the first one, not changing the awesome look of it at all.

The voice actors are perfect and witty in there stereotypical banter. I love both English and Japanese dubs and can’t wait to see even more of them. They bring a lot of new characters in and sometimes it is a little hard to understand some of the accents or words they use. I’m not all that fond of Poland’s accent, I think it should be a little more valley girl but it is pretty good in getting the stuck up feeling.

suqarysour's avatar
Jul 31, 2019

I absolutely love this anime, expecially the characters. This was my first anime and it’s my favourite. I love the portrayal of the countries, and this is what got me into history. The jokes are easy to get even if you don’t know a thing about history. Also the BGM is absolutely gorgeous.

Thrawn's avatar
May 10, 2011

I can't tell you how I found Hetalia but it was worth finding. Axis Powers was pretty good and World Series continues the trend of history overshadowed by comedy between the Axis and Allies and everybody inbetween. If you liked the former, there's more of the same stuff to make you enjoy this one. Never liked it? Scram. Never watched it? Start with either one. The plot boils down to snippits of history, historical events and whatnot portrayed with cuteness, cats and bishounen. Loads of bishounen.

But that's for latter sections. The story is whatever it wishes to focus on. Either being shipwrecked, the formation of an alliance, trading, travelling; zooming here and there in history while teaching you stuff is it's forte. And in four and a half minute segments (Taking out the EP, otherwise it's nearer to five minutes), it's a nice bite-sized snack of history. I've learned a few things but I wouldn't remember most. What I would remember is how crazy it can get. It's in moderation and not a flat out mindscrew or WTF bafflement but considering the stuff it's parodying, it's enjoyable in an offbeat way.

And I should mention that Chibitalia makes a return, with lesser parts than before, Spain and Mini-Romano and Catalia here and there. It's just that oddball. What's more crazy is how it can still infuse history into it. It doesn't make sense and yet it does. Have to give it props for this.

You have to admit, they are good looking. The characters are all about looking good and pulling off exaggerated facial expressions if the situation calls for it. Also about the charm of good looking guys and a girl here and there. It's not incredibly detailed but that's to be expected. The shine and simplicity of the characters work in it's favor and it's a delight to behold.

The OP that lasts a few seconds brings back memories of Axis Powers and I'm glad that it wasn't changed. It's short but grand and it doesn't fit the overall picture but I love it everytime I hear it. The EP is not exactly a shade of it's former self nor is it a completely different person. Neither is it a twin but it retains some of the traits and bits of the one before it. Been a while since I've heard the Axis Powers EP but unlike the OP, it suits it perfectly; silly, whimsical and to add the bow to the present, sung but Italy. The voice overs I enjoyed and especially the title cards for segments, particularly United States of Hetalia! 2! So over-the-top that it's hilarious.

The characters are countries and since we learn about histories about said countries (Parts of at least), it's character backstory. Sort of. But it helps in showing us who they are and those traits represent their actual countries as a whole most of the time. They have their quirks and traits with the main cast being the mains in the Axis and Allies. But some segments and episodes are devoted to others, with Spain and Romano (Southern Italy?) and Hungary and Prussia. You remember whose who for the most part and they're fun to watch.

For a series that's five minutes per episode, you don't expect much but it's more than the sum of it's parts. It's meant to be taken in bite-sized segments and shouldn't be rushed. I learned that after the first series and took my time for this one, which lead to me enjoying it more. Hetalia: World Series is all about charm and wackiness in it's comedy while being a parody of history.

7.5/10 story