Hell Girl: Fourth Twilight - Reviews

Alt title: Jigoku Shoujo Yoi no Togi

hksm's avatar
Dec 27, 2017

This season is rather disappointing — half of it is replays from earlier episodes (S4E08 copies S1E06, etc.). (Spoilers follow)

It is also disappointing to see that none of the driving plots of Hell's "opponents" are ever continued, leaving the whole series open-ended and demanding as of yet. We do not get to know what becomes of reporter Hajime Shibata (from S1). Or what role his daughter Tsugumi Shibata (S3) really has. Or why Enma Ai suddenly gets superseded by a new Hell Girl, Yuzuki Mikage. Let alone why (in S4) Enma Ai is suddenly Hell Girl again. The only thing that is constant is that there's people to carry to Hell, and that theme has already worn out by end of season 2 or thereabouts, demoting S4 to a "Monster of the week" trope series.

WolfAngelus's avatar
Nov 7, 2017

The concept remains the same as previous seasons. A mini story unfolds in each episode, someone typically, but not always, gets mad enough at someone else to want to send them to hell. There are a few exceptions in that if it isn't due to anger, it tends to be a more sad reason. I also would like to emphasize that the "sexual" tags are purely due to a few actions of a single episode, as that is what the theme revolves around. So no, this isn't a sex themed season or anything.

The season is split up into 2 segments essentially. The first half has become modernized, the topics and tools incorporate a lot more of what you might see today, along with the art style being a bit more updated. The last half takes on its retro feel, going to a more classic feel and art style. This was a pretty good move, as it keeps the season from feeling too repetitive, due to the naturally repetitive design that almost each episode follows.

Something that is changed a bit from previous seasons is that there is a bit of a carry over between the first half of the episodes in the form of a mini background story involving a few characters. It doesn't add much, but it keeps them feeling a bit more connected to one another. For the most part though, the season retains its episode based nature, so don't expect any new direction in terms of story.

The mini stories for each episode are what you'd expect. How much you will like these will be directly related to how you felt about past seasons. They all feel unique enough, and don't seem better or worse than any of the episodes from previous seasons. Most follow their standard routine - follow characters, watch the conflict, insert Enma Ai with her classic speech, and watch the hell scene unfold. A few episodes don't follow this format though.

It was interesting to see the art style split 50/50. 50% being modernized, but still retaining that color and style, and the last half using the style you know best.

I quite liked the retro half, not only for its classical art, but the opening theme for the last few episodes was nice, and had that early 90's nostalgic feel. Those who grew up during that era will be able to appreciate that conveyed feeling.

As always, you got the standard Enma Ai group cast, along with many others you will only see for the single episode they appear in. Nothing changes really, so you can never get attached or connected to someone, but everyone should be familiar with that.

Overall, I liked this season a lot. It was nice to see it come back after being gone so long. Splitting it 50/50 of old and new was the right move to make to prevent it feeling boring or repeitive. If you liked the previous seasons, this one is on par with them. That said, if you didn't, there isn't anything really new here to change that.

ShoumaTaka's avatar
Jul 26, 2017

I think we all know what the premise of this anime is. Person puts whoever name they want into the "Hell Website" at Midnight to get exact revenge ( this has been going on for three seasons now) We are into season four now , I love the new OP of the anime I get that " darkish " kind of vibe to it I also get that Higurashi vibes as well , I love the new animation it's an improvement from the old ones. I'd recommend this if you have watched The previous three seasons

jc64730's avatar
Jan 15, 2018

Would have been rated higher if not for the last six episodes essentially being reruns from previous seasons. I really enjoyed the series as a whole, but this was just disappointing. The first six episodes were great, and I really enjoyed them. Overall they were outweighed by the repeats. If there was only 6 new episodes, then why insert old ones, why not just give the new ones and be done?

All in all, it was good, but the repeats just made it too disapponting.

chuchurocket's avatar
Nov 8, 2020

I have not seen any of the previous seasons, so my take is for this season alone. Hell Girl:Fourth Twilight is akin to The Twilight Zone, except that its stories revolve around grudges and revenge, and there are few twist endings. I found the show quite satisfying in that each story presents a different perspective on this very human realm of emotion and behavior. Stories generally end at the gates of Hell, although there may be a little followup.

I adore the art style, which is very beautiful yet depicts people in a way that is just a tad off. I found that this helped me stay detached from the characters and focused on the stories. The art does get a little weird in the intros during the second part of the season, which is set in "Bones' Pub" and animated with a combination of real props and paper-on-stick characters, but I liked this, too. These stories, or "reminiscences", are presented in a slightly different (more raw?) style than that used in the first part. I did not find this change to affect my viewing, and it retained the fundamental aesthetic. In both parts I found the presentation of Hell Girl Enma Ai did a good job conveying complexity in a character which could easily have come off as one dimensional.

The stories are well plotted and paced. I never wanted to skip ahead, nor did I find any elements of the framework wearing thin. Most of the stories needed slightly different interactions with Hell Girl and her retinue. The one thing that does appear in every episode is Hell Girl's speech to the person with a grudge, but I consider this an incantation, so the repetition is expected. It also heightens the tension regarding whether or not (either may happen) the string gets pulled to send someone to Hell. Each of the retinue get moments to distinguish their characters while adding to the stories. This was the one area in which I felt I was missing things because I had not seen the prior seasons, but this did not impact my appreciation of the stories, which are varied in several different ways, and most of which I found worthy of pondering. I expect that I will rewatch in the future, possibly more than once.

Incidentally, if you are bothered by any religious aspects of the show, try taking a page from Sartre and viewing Heaven as inner peace, Hell as being locked in turmoil and doubt, and Hell Girl and the gang as voices of conscience. Not all of the stories work well with this, but most will. After that, maybe question why you watch anime at all, because this stuff is riddled with religious symbolism!