Heavenly Delusion - Reviews

Alt title: Tengoku Daimakyou

ThatAnimeSnob's avatar
Jun 5, 2023

Pros
- Good production values
- A premise that is basically The Last of Us meets The Promised Neverland
- Interesting setting
- Fun characters
- There is some mystery in the background
- Can be brutal at times
- The blend of genres is intriguing enough to make you keep watching

Cons
- It’s creepy in a bad way. The main character lusts his sister… while he is inside her body. And those kids at the academy are horny as heck. Later on there is also rape and it’s not really leading up to something.
- The action doesn’t seem to fit with what is going on since the monster battles can be skipped without a change in the plot.
- The plot is all over the place because of how many genres it combines, while still wanting to keep most of them a secret. It can be confusing to follow what is going on. The objective is also not clear, making you not see nor care about what the characters want to achieve.
- The ending is incomplete and mediocre, not giving you much to look forward to.

Verdict
It is pretty-looking and mysterious enough for fans of mystery and adventure to follow, but it’s also deviant and obscure with what it wants to do, thus the more mainstream audience will drop it early on. Personally, I lost interest fast, since it’s nowhere near the quality of The Last of Us, the deviant stuff made me eye-roll, none of the people I speak to care about it, and in general you can’t actually talk about anything, since it’s vague with what it wants to be. The lukewarm ending killed the last specs of interest I had.

HenThigh's avatar
Jul 16, 2023

The most overrated show this season, one of the worst conclusions I've ever seen (to the main cast which was the only interesting part of the story) spoilers ahead.

So the entire journey of the main 2 characters was fun to watch but that conclusion was on a new level of garbage, they just rape the main character then go 'yeah no big deal' and move on like nothing happened and thats the conclusion?? The entire heaven side I did not care at all about due to how dull it all is, the only reason I give this a 7 is because I like the 2 mcs a lot, and they just get the most unecessary ending with no purpose at all and don't really get anywhere. This review is a mess, but so is this show. Had potential but was ruined.

otaku84's avatar
Oct 15, 2023

I wanted to like this show, I really did. The premise was interesting, the animation was gorgeous, and I love a good post-apocalyptic tale. Unfortunately, things fell apart after the first few episodes. One of the main problems is that you're constantly getting whiplash from plot twists and/or flashbacks which destroy the narrative you've been following up until that point. It's difficult to enjoy the story when you're always asking yourself what the heck is going on. Another thing that turned me off was the inclusion of sensitive and/or triggering topics like sexual abuse and suicide. Not only does the show seem to revel in making viewers uncomfortable, these elements don't contribute to the story and are actually detrimental to the narrative Heavenly Delusion is attempting to weave. TLDR; don't watch this unless you have a high tolerance for rambling, nonsensical stories and uncomfortable subject matter.

HannahUzumaki's avatar
Jun 11, 2023

When I first started this anime it felt like a classic dystopian fiction type story, and while it is that its much more complex. I'd say the strongest point of this anime is the way it tells its story so that each episode leaves you with questions and wanting to watch more. The animation is also pretty strong, very clean and I like the art of the opening. This anime also has its contrast of light and dark moments with gore but it balances it really well and isn't dark for the sake of it but it really drives the story along. I will say I wish there was a bit more action with the monster scenes, but I guess its more telling the story rather than a full on action anime.

However, there are some really sus moments that I personally felt took away from the anime and wasn't needed. (You really have to watch it to see, some of them made me question what the fuck I was even watching)

I will keep watching to see what happens with the story tho

Pros:

- Characters are fun and likable and you meet cool people with good stories along the way

- The mystery aspect of how the fall of humanity comes about

- Interesting story

- Good world building

- The occational humour is quite good between the two main characters

- Art style is really cool

Cons:

- Lowkey creepy at times, for sure for more mature audiences

- Not much actions in terms of actually fight scenes (but not a big complaint)

Samantha1's avatar
Jul 3, 2023

I seriously do not understand some of the bad reviews here. For me this anime is a masterpiece. If I could give it 100 points I would do so.

The story is amazing, the characters have so much detail and development and overall it was so exciting to watch, we couldn´t wait to get to the next episode.

If you like the promised neverland, you will also love this one. It´s similar to the story and has also lots of twists and reveals during the 13 episodes.

The most remarkable are the two main characters. They are so likeable without any annoying teenage drama.

Also the children in the orphanage are very interesting and likeable. Except for the bad guys there was no character I disliked.

I´ll start to read the manga, because I can´t wait for season 2. I need to know how it continues.

This is an absolute must-watch!