Hataraki Man - Reviews

Clannadia's avatar
Aug 31, 2011

So here is the first complete in a long time folks!

When looking in the Noitamina credit sheet, as always, I found this title, Hataraki Man. I decided to give it a go. My first surprise was the character design. It was evidently made by none other than Ano Moyoco. Her mature womanly style also ravished me because I knew right away that this show is gonna be something. I know Ano's style can turn away people but the lady here is a genius that I absolutely adore. She can write about evry type of story and any king of genre and she actually succeeds at it. She is just brilliant. But this not a review on Ano's career so let's move on.

The story of Hataraki Man consist of simple little cases of the daily life of a journalist working for a man's magazine. That's the big line. But I actually saw the real subject of the series, and you can too if you pay close attention. It's the daily apport to work in an adult life and how they see work. This is not someting we see often in anime I have to admit so I was trilled. At least someting original at last. BUt it fails here. Although there is no actual plot to follow, the setting could have been brilliant. But it was not. It focused way too much on journalism terminology. Exactly as a book on how to write a good article. Well one time or two, it could habe been refreshing, but here it is at least each freaking episode! So a good base story was ruined by the uninteresting details. If you start this series, beware that this is a slow series and there is no plot or action whatsoever. In fact it is one of the few series that couldn't bee deranged by a live drama. It could fit well. So in summary, Hataraki Man is a live drama in an anime suit.

The animation is ok. I have nothing to say much about it. It could habe been way better but it stands on it's own.I just have a remark about the eight episode; the animation was just plain ugly.

The sound now. Few famous voice actors but here they do an normal job. No one particularly shined.And hell why always the same stupidly boring insert song?

Opening section: Boring song and visuals.

Ending section: Boring song and visuals.

The characters in this series are a melting pot of almost every type of person you can find in society. In a way it is interesting. One negative point: the creators, sadly, did not fing intersting to actually develop all the staff members sufficiently. They seem one sided with the brand etiquette sticking to them. For a series that want itself natural, it is a big mistake.

Overall: Hataraki Man could have been charming if done right, but it is actually quite boring sometimes, tedious and heavy some other times. That inconsistency stopped it from having a better score. One of the rare time a Noutamina actually deceives me.

I made some quick reserch on the net and I actually found out that hatarki Man is actually a manga of Ano Moyoco! And it was also adapted in drama! Surprise! Well I'm sure tha the manga is 100% better than the anime tough.

Next! 07-ghost and Star Driver

7.5/10 animation
7.3/10 overall
Melissa93's avatar
Jan 9, 2021

Right from the beginning I was drawn in by the colorful, realistic, and downright loveable characters. They are complex, and just like people in real life, your initial impression can sometimes be incorrect.
this anime is really amazing !

*Spoiler* .......

I wish there was a second season focused a little more in the new relationship for the main character

aeab32's avatar
Jan 30, 2018

I love that a strong fiesty working woman is the main character. The story centres around her working in a journalist position as well her private life. The mc shows how putting work first and foremost may have results in the workplace, but also questions whether that is enough to be fufilled in life. Well worth a watch.

Nicknames's avatar
Dec 9, 2019

Hataraki Man follows the everyday life of Hiroko, a hot-headed, workaholic woman who works in a weekly magazine, and is as good at her job as she’s bad at managing her love life.

Each episode focuses on a task given to her and how she manages to get it done, usually sharing the spotlight with certain key characters (like salesman Chiba in episode 8).

For a show made in the 2000’s decade the art and animation sure is good. I especially liked how each character has very distinguishable features, making it easier to tell apart each other. The animation

The soundtrack of this show is fine, and while it’s not the stuff you’d listen on its own it helps to make the scenes more impactful. The voice acting is good and the OP and ED are decent albeit skippable.

If there’s a word that could describe the characters it’d be “real”. They were made in a way that makes them feel human instead of just a bundle of tropes. Sadly the anime isn’t long enough to give it more room to further develop them.

In short, Hataraki Man is a good reminder of those times when picking a Noitamina show was a sure-fire way of getting a good anime. Even if it’s not perfect there are enough good things to make it an enjoyable experience.

7.5/10 animation