Hal

Add review
haize78's avatar
Feb 14, 2015

Hal is a one hour movie about a robot made to become human to comfort a girl, Kurumi, for the loss of her boyfriend. The girl's grandfather, unable to go on seeing her suffering and shutting everyone out, decides to make his robot an exact replica of Hal, the deceased boyfriend - hoping that all this will, in some weird way, relieve her of her pain.

The visuals are lovely: the colours and drawings and the blending of traditional and CG animation all give life to something that's extremely pleasing to watch. I also think the music fits well with what's being narrated. And the voice acting, too, striked me as well done.

As for the story and characters, that's where I gave this anime lower marks. Even if I'm not exactly sure why I feel the anime is so lacking in these aspects. The characters are likeable enough;both Robot-Hal and Kurumi are sweet. And the story, even though simple, is a good one. There's a plot twist that you don't see coming and quite a few flashbacks to give you some insight in Hal and Kurumi's relationship. There isn't obviously time to develop the characters much, but it's kind of funny and amusing to see how Robot-Hal asks questions about the real Hal and how he tries to make sense of human feelings and relations.

So what's missing? I don't know. I am aware that in a review you should motivate. But I just feel that something important is lacking and whatever it is subtracts something fundamental from the overall value of the anime. Why should an android replica of a dead person help those who stay behind feel better? That's the first flaw I can think of. Just recently I saw a similar concept carried out in a British tv series, Black Mirror, but in that case predictably enough the woman after a short while started being revulsed by the fake replica of her partner and the comfort she had initially found was replaced by an even greater pain. In this anime however they seem to hint that Robot-Hal becomes human - but you can't even start wondering at the implications of that (and as a matter of fact there is no mention of this topic in the anime) because that isn't how it is. So in the end maybe the anime deals with the grief for the loss of a dear person and how to overcome it. But that final plot twist I mentioned earlier makes it also difficult to justify this kind of interpretation. The only thing that I thought was a significant clue as to what the creators of the anime were getting at was when the grandfather says that in his opinion dead people don't go anywhere but stay with you and then he adds that he often talks to them about the most mundane things: how delicious a meal is, how hot a day is; save for the fact that he is made to notice that that is exactly like talking to oneself. It's a bit lame.

Maybe I just don't get what message they wanted to get through.

5.5/10 overall
Thrawn's avatar
Mar 9, 2016

Well. Because it was Slice of Life + Androids + Niceguy's pick, I thought it would be shit. I've seen an android/SoL before that was picked by Niceguy on two separate occasions and both were shit. This movie, wasn't shit. This has feels, it has some laughs, it has more feels and some heavy depressing shit. It has the whole drama package and for some reason giraffes. The giraffes are very important to the plot which I will get to soon.

Giraffes man. I have no fucking idea why they were so relevant or so important to the plot but the title drop had them for some reason and apparently it's a goal to have one? I really have no idea. But this giraffe, looks like a hooker. This makes it all the more confusing and you know what? The 5x5 rubic cube makes more sense. Everybody but Hal being able to do them makes sense. Hal being the only fucking person, including old geezers, grannies and brats, who can't do that shit makes more sense than the giraffe.

Oh, and there are feels, and stuff. It has drama as the first tag (For me at least) for a reason, that reason being that it gets all feels on you. Kinda like the movie Her with Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson. It gets to you sometimes, even the budding relationship between Hal and Kurumi is feels, but in the good way. It's heartwarming to see the barriers break down since Hal is such a great guy and Kurumi needs a hug.

Feels... giraffe... rubic cubes... yup, that's everything.

Looks pretty good.

Sounds pretty good.

Hal is a nice guy, Kurumi is a nice broken bird that gets fixed up by Hal's golden, perfectness, old man prof... scientist guy (?) is a mad pimp that in the end is alive, kicking and going to a mad young peoples orgy because he is a baller, anything else might be spoilers but those three are the important ones. But Hal, he carries this shit. He is that good of a guy.

Overall

It's actually a real good flick. You got emotions, heartwarming crap, a giant ass stuffed bear that reminds me of Kuma who mauls the nuts of evildoers and it's all about Hal and Kurumi. Their relationship is worth the price of admission. Good drama stuff man.

If I could rate it Feels/10, I would. But instead, it's an 8.

This Has Been Another DAMC Presentation: A Slice of Life picked by Niceguy that isn't complete shit and with androids, making it's non-shittiness even more surprising.

This is also dedicated to Jake from the DAMC chat, in particular the second paragraph.

8.5/10 animation
YuiYui's avatar
Apr 2, 2016

Warning this review may contain spoilers

So Hal the android romance movie that everybody seems to love but honestly I found it alright, it was good in terms of animation and sound but something just felt off to me. It follows the story of a boy who is in love with a girl (and vise versa) but stuff happens and the drama starts (but this is really hard not to spoil T^T)

STORY

I'm not a fan of android based anime, especially when it comes to romance ones such as this but I was surprised. It wasn't bad and it was kind of interesting but I felt like it dragged on quite a bit which to me was a bit of a downfall. And even though I know to some the ending may not seem to be predictable, I felt parts of it was but I guess there were a couple of surprises.

ANIMATION

It was beautiful, the animation was truely amazing and I really have hardly any mistakes but even so it wasn't perfect.

SOUND
Music was nice and the voiceactors weren't bad but there isn't really anything I can say about this section. It was all quite nice but nothing amazing, hence why I rated it like this.

CHARACTERS

Another section I found well done was the characters, being a movie there was enough time for you to grow towards the characters and when you watch it the ending would effect you more than something of 25 minutes or similar. Hal our main boy was quite sweet, and he had quite a bit of development even with it being quite a short movie. Kurumi our female was a perfect match for Hal and I just loved their overall relationship.

Overall for a Android SOL this was pretty good, highly recommended xx

-AngelBeatsYui-

PS This was for the Daily Anime Marathon CLub in March 2016

ClubFoot's avatar
Nov 3, 2018

There will be a moment where you should accept a departure of people you’ve loved. There will come moments where every human being will experience a lower phase, the deepest phase of sadness and depression. From here, we’re tempted for how to fight it and how to get out of the zone to be able to live again like humans who’ve let go of their departure. In short, “Hal” is one of the most romance anime movie twists of all romance anime I’ve watched. It’s so rare that anime always include something like a sub-plot in the form of a twist in its genre. There may be some but at least, “Hal” is one of them in my opinion. It’s not a mindfuck-like about Charlie Kaufman. Before this film, there was CLAMP’s “Chobits” and Spike Jonze’s “Her” about a love relationship with android, programs, or something like that. Or there is no mistake if I mention “Steins;Gate 0” because it might be included in the category too. Apart from that, the movie didn’t really get me into from first to the end. Sure, it’s surprising especially the ending which I’ve never expected. I watched without anyone telling me that there was a twist at the end even though some of my friends had suggested it. But, “Hal” isn’t something I’ve never expected so far.

Set in a slightly future, robots are a helper for humanity especially they can be a therapy for someone who experiences mental illness. This is what happened to Kurumi while watching her boyfriend end tragically in a plane crash that resulted. Hal was on the plane too. Being someone who’s so depressed and unable to accept it, one of the robots is called to be one of those therapies by redesigning Hal along with its memory. There is something more than that besides their complex relationships experienced by Kurumi before Hal died. However, stories like this aren’t the usual. It left with an irony, a past, burdens, ended tragically when they had to end their relationship with a fight, and feeling guilty. Hal the robot is trying to heal Kurumi back but the farther away, he doesn’t seem to be a robot in general. He can understand and feel what’s felt by humans too. The story really sticks with it besides not explaining how robots work at that time.

In addition to the relationships of complexity with ambiguity yet the never-ending story, on the other hand, it doesn’t really attach with it relationships between Kurumi and Hal. Regardless it’s a short movie, what can be done in this film is just a plot device for each character. For example, the Rubik’s cube is the trigger for Hal the robot’s action and what he should do, photo albums which give rise to the irony of beautiful, bitter memories, and a little orb camera which I don’t really know what object is memories from the beginning to the end experienced by Hal. Each of these objects is only a message, a lost memory, and a clue that will be concluded at the end of the film. On the other hand, their connections can also tell us some information which existed before the accident starting from how we must understand these characters, we get some knowledge about their past and the final conclusion. It contains a message about upside downs, about love and sorrow that are put together into one fruit. A tree can be a metaphor for love and sorrow and a fall fruit can be a metaphor for the plane crash.

As I said from the beginning, “Hal” is a story that’s not too complex but at least you will see the twist you never thought. You don’t need to be a detective or Sherlock Holmes-like because this is just an ordinary romance thing. The twist really leaves its audience confused as well as what the robot feels. There are many points which are revealed about the story besides that and behind the plot. Every detail, you can find the clue if you watch twice the same as I did just to find the clue and hole from the ending. But, as I said, it’s not about the twist because you watch this movie without recognizing anything. Leftover, “Hal” isn’t a mindfuck apart for a moment you will think twice until you realize everything in the end. Sometimes, it can be said it’s quite a puzzle for the audience itself.

I can’t really understand about the characters in this film. Other characters besides Hal and Kurumi are indeed the major stories in this film. In addition, the supporting cast only becomes a plot device so that the character can straightforward until the end. The pace is indeed forced and this is why I ain’t too connected with these characters. Even though this film has an aspect of drama that in any case makes you melancholy or so, such a pace also makes it not too deep-seated. The pace isn’t a bad one but the movie shows a very beautiful visual. Starting from color choice, the reflection between light and dark atmosphere, the gorgeous setting, the details, it has a colorful background from the visuals shown.

The background isn’t too futuristic so we can still feel this film from the background itself because it doesn’t use sci-fi or something related too much. I also like how the reflections in this anime are executed with the use of lighting that’s so fantastic, creates a wonderful impression for films in general. The soundtrack fits with the mood and environment depending on the scenes. Sometimes happy, sometimes sad, and sometimes some intense scene can draw more bittersweet memories of the irony that creates the movie feel comprehensive. The voice acting is excellent too. Yoshimasa Hosoya and Yoko Hikasa are seiyuu who take more part and spend more of their superb performance.

“Hal” is a romantic movie about loss. It’s just one of the anime romances in general with the addition of plots which I’ve never thought before besides I watched this film without knowing anything about the twist or something like that. It’s about sacrifice, accepting the death of your loved ones, stretching forward, and understanding what love really means. I didn’t find any connection with the characters because it didn’t explore very much of their past, their connection, and their memory. Every other character only relies on plot devices except the Rubik’s cube and others. Moreover, this film sometimes becomes a puzzle that must be completed in order to conclude a complete story. It’s a movie that has a forced pace but causes us to feel miserable of mix feelings that you can’t understand.

BrightMoon's avatar
Sep 8, 2018

How do we handle a grief so extreme that it breaks you from reality? How do we help someone come back to reality to help them start healing? This is a beautifully animated movie about how to answer those questions with robotic therapy. The sound was crisp, clear and symphonic consistently and matches perfectly when truths are revealed in the wake of another tragedy.
Healing is learned and grief is brought to a manageable, coping level.

LadyPsychic's avatar
Mar 9, 2016

This is basically a story of love, loss, grief, coming to terms with said grief, and moving on.  Be prepared for many "feelz" in this movie.  Then there's the plot twist that will make you change your perspective on things.  The only thing really negative about the story is that some of the subplots feel slightly under-developed (which is probably due to the movie being only an hour long).  That said, the story is still quite enjoyable and will probably make you cry.

The animation is quite beautiful and well done.

The background music is great and fits the scenes very well.  While the credits song isn't the most memorable song in the world, it's pleasant and fits the movie.  Also, the English dub (though probably not as good as the Japanese version) is pretty decent.

While there is only so much character development you can put into a hour long movie, most of the characters (some more so than others) do get at least semi-decent development.

Overall

Overall, I find this to a very enjoyable movie.  While I think this movie could've been even better if it was 20 or 30 minutes longer (which would allow for more development for characters and certain sub-plots), even as it is it's still worth watching.

9.5/10 animation
7.8/10 characters
Ailly's avatar
Sep 8, 2014

You know the surefire way for an anime to win its way to my heart? Have a bittersweet love story that makes me cry. Well, apparently the creators of HAL know me all too well.

How do you cope with the loss of someone you spent every waking moment with? After the death of her boyfriend, Kurumi holed herself up in her house. Not wanting to see her suffer anymore, her grandfather decides to get her a robot that looks exactly like Hal. Reluctant at first, the girl slowly opens up her heart. When reading the synopsis I didn’t really know what this movie would be going for. Is it going to be a kind of impossible love story between android and human? Is it going to address how people can/can’t simply be replaced? In the end HAL turned out to be a story about learning how to move on. The movie has its fair share of twists and turns that may not really surprise the attentive viewer, but will surely make you jump out of your chair, going ‘Whaaaat?’. The pacing felt really nice and there was never a dull moment, even though you could call this a rather slow-paced movie. I loved how the Rubik’s cube was used as a way to tie the plot together. Unfortunately, there were some plot points left dangling at the end with a few hints to the past of several characters that I would like to have seen explored. Even so, I felt that it wrapped up pretty nicely and the ending was satisfying nonetheless.

Wit Studio is fairly new to the animation industry, but are definitely a force to be reckoned with. You know, being the ones to produce Attack on Titan and all that. The animation for HAL is beautiful to look at. There’s a nice blend between the traditional stuff and CGI, making it not stand out too much. If there’s something I hate, it would be ugly 3D models in a 2D world. There were some really interesting shots and camera angles and the way they made the water look was amazing.

Anime food always looks 4.2 times better than real food. Fact.

Character movements were well animated and had a certain charm to it. I don’t know why, but I really liked how they moved. Like everything else in the movie, it was just very cute.

The OST was composed by Michiru Oshima. I love her work, but her pieces have a tendency to be a bit overbearing. While a lot of the BGM was really good, some didn’t really fit the mood or were somewhat too powerful. Having said that, when the music did blend in with the story, it certainly managed to elevate the scenes to a higher level.

The voice acting was very enjoyable. I had only heard Yoshimasa HOSOYA in more stern roles before, so seeing him pull off a cutiepie like HAL was a pleasant surprise. The other voice actors did a pretty good job as well.

HAL is the sweetest guy ever. From the moment he first appeared on screen, I knew I would love this character. He has a charming innocence going on that really just melts my heart.

Look at this adorable little punk

Kurumi was really cute as well. Seeing these two interact almost gave me diabetes. Even for a short movie like this, I felt their characters were rather well developed. There’s definitely more to them than first meets the eye. Also present is a colourful cast of minor characters. Little kids, a bunch of old ladies, a rather peculiar scientist, a dangerous childhood friend and a caring grandfather. Though they don’t add much to the story, they’re pretty fun to watch.

Overall

In a mere 50 minutes runtime, HAL manages to stir up tons of different emotions. It’s a movie about learning how to cope with loss and moving on.  About remembering the past, but not letting it take over the present. The story is more than just that of a lost love and after finishing it, you’ll probably want to watch it again. Simple, heartbreaking and yet all warm and fuzzy as well. HAL is the perfect movie to watch on a rainy day.

7.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation
angelsreviews's avatar
Oct 5, 2014

The show starts out rather strange with a plain suddenly exploding over a quiet little town. Then they suddenly talk about a boy named Hal who had passed away and a girl who seemed to be his girlfriend is taking it pretty hard. To me, this beginning just feels like it was a promo for the show instead of the actual show because we don’t really get any information at all. We can speculate what’s going on, but that’s all. We don’t get a full picture of what is actually happening. And then we have a robot that becomes human in order to help the young girl. I’m actually not sure if we could really call him human right away though as he doesn’t seem to know how to actually act human or feel human. I know this is going to into philosophy but this really does ask the question, what does it take to be human?

Throughout the whole show, we learn a lot about Hal. I mean the real Hal in fact, not the robot one. I like how we learn through Robotic Hal’s way of learning then just being told straight out. It gives us a mystery to solve then just a romance. In the end, there is a point when Hal’s past seems to haunt the two. And then in the end, it really changes around, making things a bit more confusing but making it really fun all the same. It’s not like any other love story between a robot and human. It’s hard to explain because of it being such a big spoiler that it would mess with you. You really should watch it if you are interested in knowing what the hell I am talking about with switch. And even at the end, there are one or two things that don’t seem to not be closed up, things that should but don’t take away from the story.

The artwork is amazing, and the sort of playful toy aspect to this is rather cute. All the vibrant colors and amazing little adornments all over the place. I didn’t really see any problems with the animation being poor, though I didn’t like some of the design aspects they did for a couple background characters. It doesn’t mess with the story but it makes me frown slightly at that. Still, the design of the rest was wonderful and made me happy to even watch the show.

The English dub was so good; I couldn’t believe how wonderful the voice acting was. Of course funimation did give it the dub so I shouldn’t have expected anything less and yet I have seen some that felt like they needed a bit more. Each person sounded like what I thought they should sound like, even the ladies at the adult day care sounded good and those are normally the ones that would of sounded bad if there was a bad voice. The strange thing is that there were not that many names that stood out to me in the cast. I mean, there were people like Todd Haberkorn and Chris Burnett but the rest seemed like they did mostly background characters before this. They may still do background characters in this one too but the characters give a better connection with the world and emotions.

This is one that I definitely think you should watch even if you’re not into sci-fi or romance. It’s not one or the other and it sort of opens up the idea of just what a Robot could be as well as just what a human could be.

Fleeny's avatar
Sep 5, 2016

So I went into this 1 hour film blind, without having read any reviews and just briefly skimming the synopsis. Just as a warning to anyone wanting to watch this before I start: this anime is really hard to review without any spoilers!

I am not usually a huge fan of android romance themes but I thought I would give it a shot. So without further ado - here are my thoughts:

First thing that deserves a mention is that this anime is simply beautiful. The animation is superb and the soundtrack is spot on for the plot. I really can not fault either aspect of the anime. It's seriously gorgeous.

But that's pretty much where the good stuff ends for me I'm afraid. From this point in the review there are spoilers so stop reading now if you don't want to know how things start to pan out.

So the basic premise is that Kurumi, the main female protag, loses her boyfirend in a tragic plane accident. As a result she becomes a shut in. Unable to carry on living without her boyfriend Hal; everything in her life grinds to a halt. Concerned for her physical and mental well being an old man whose identity we are not told until the end of the movie (RED FLAG), who can not bare to see her suffer any longer, send a robot Q01 to stay with Kurumi.

Q01 has a total make over to make him look and sound exactly like her dead boyfriend, which is decribed in the anime as some form of rare 'robot therapy', overseen by a jovial Doctor who helps robot Hal come to terms with trying to help Kurumi.

Straight away this pulled me out of the fantasy of the film. I am not sure why some people seemed to accept this concept (maybe I'm jaded) but Kurumi resists robot Hal's arrival for all of ten minutes before she starts to warm to him. This is very concerning - who in their right mind thinks that dressing a robot up as someones dead loved one, forcing the robot into that persons home without their consent and then having the robot pretend to be thier dead lover, would make a person feel better? RED FLAG.

If anything that's some creepy sh*t right there.

I am guessing that who ever wrote the plot for this intended robot Hal to be a way for Kurumi to say and do all the things with Hal that she didn't have a chance to do when he was alive and therefore come to terms with her loss and grief. The fact that robot Hal's personality is nothing like real Hal makes this a little bit incongruous and hard to swallow. Almost as hard to swallow as the fact that Kurumi seems to think this is perfectly normal and starts going on dates with the effigy of her dead lover like nothing's wrong. RED FLAG #2

Weirder still is the fact that robot Hal is mistaken by real Hal's friends for the real Hal. Way to mess with someone's friends without any warning! I mean, personally, if I saw the walking, talking incarnation of my dead Great Aunt Judith wander into my home and start cooking me breakfast - I would freak the f*ck out. That would be more likely to damage my mental health IMO, but his friends don't even react. RED FLAG#3.

(Oh and as a side note, Hal's background is pretty sketchy and he has a lot of debts - so his 'friends' are actually the local people trafficking gang of yakuza.)

STOP READING NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.

Right, now that you're commited; everything gets flipped upside down in the last part of the film. As if the intitial concept isn't creepy enough - they then go the whole nine yards by making it even creepier. Let's just say that turns out Hal wasn't quite the robot he thought he was.  The plot twist is great, I mean it's evident that something is going to go down from the flashbacks you get, but this twist was inspired. As soon as you meet Hal's yakuza buddies it's quite clear that for some reason his childhood (and by the sounds of things: only) friend Ryo doesn't even know Hal is dead. RED FLAG #4.

I'm not going to spell it out but honestly who ever put this in the romance genre clearly didn't bother watching to the end of the film, because IMO this is some pyschological horror movie stuff. Basically, the first half of th film is creepy, the second half of the film after the big reveal is creepier still. For a romance anime - this sure did give me the heebie-jeebs. There should be a sub-genre for this anime with the tags creepy & romantic. Here after know as CROMANTIC.

muonsei's avatar
Apr 21, 2016

Story: The premise of the story: a robot is sent to a Kurumi by her grandpa to cope with the loss of her boyfriend Hal. My expectation: another romance story between a robot and a human, which definitely has no direction. I shouldn't have judged the movie in the first place. (Better be a blank slate when you watch this movie. Don't be judgmental.) Just like in a dance, the protagonist, "Hal", actually controls you, the audience, as the story goes on. He kind of grows with you and learns with you. This is probably why the plot was beautifully executed in the movie.

Animation: The animation is so smooth and beautiful. No questions asked.

Sound: The background tracks used in the movie are good and fitting, but they don't deliver enough feels and are not quite memorable as well. It could do better, though.

Characters: I adore the characters a lot (the character development is so good) but just like what I said in the music, the characters weren't able to deliver the feels I was expecting. Stuff like this usually make me cry but surprisingly, it didn't. (I think this is more of a character problem and not a story problem.)

8.8/10 overall
Bodencarlee's avatar
Feb 6, 2017

This was a beautiful movie, which made me cry more than any other movie has. The plot changed so drastically that I kept crying even though I was trying to understand what was happening. The characters are very beautiful and I would definitely watch it again!

9.5/10 animation
9.7/10 overall
aeab32's avatar
Jan 30, 2018

A very sad anime, make sure you have the tissues ready.

The plot twists so much that you want to watch it again to see it in a new light.

The anime is a lot about overcoming loss and how the main characters deals with it.

kikidarko's avatar
Nov 12, 2017

Hal is a good movie. It wasn't really what I expected, but I enjoyed watching it.

The characters were good, although a bit underdeveloped. I understand that for an hour long movie this is to be expected, but with the way this movie ended, I still felt like there were some unaddressed aspects of their personalities (Hal and Kurumi, and Ryu, too). Still, I was drawn into Hal and Kurumi's relationship, as well as Hal and Ryu's, though I do wish both were explored a little more.

The story was what was lacking most for me. I was just getting into it when a (or, the) major plot twist occurred and it left me almost too confused to understand what happened afterward. I won't get into the details so as not to spoil it for anyone, but although extremely surprising, the plot twist just didn't make sense to me. I also felt that, when they went back to try and explain it, it hardly cleared anything up - which may be due to the fact that it really wasn't believable for me. (Granted, thinking back, there were a few red herrings throughout that could have hinted to this twist, but overall, it wasn't executed well enough to make much sense).

I do think this movie is unique and interesting. I thought it was going to focus more on a sort of android-human star-crossed love theme, but it really ended up being more about two lovers getting over the pain of losing each other, in their own way. I like the latter better anyway because I feel like it would have ended up too kitschy and cliche to do another "robot loves human/human loves robot" unless it was done in an absolutely new way.

The sound was great in terms of the voices, but the music wasn't really contributing to the movie (not in any place that I noticed, at least) which is why I marked it down a little.

Overall, it was a pretty good movie. I may watch it again sometime, though I don't see myself doing so in the near future. I would recommend it to someone who enjoys atypical or dysfunctional romances and who isn't afraid to be struck emotionally (I think I did cry a little at one point) as it was definitely a bit of a rollercoaster. In some ways.

thatbitch's avatar
Jun 5, 2016

STORY:

This anime is about a girl who lost her boyfriend, so her relative sent her a robot physical replica of him to help her mourn his death. She was reluctant to talk to him in the beginning but she gradually opens up a little. There are these rubix cubes laying around with writing on them that had been scrambled up, so the robot and people he run into help him solve them and they have little messages of things that she wants. One of them said she wanted a giraffe, so he managed to get her a fake giraffe. The story progresses with these little rubix cube mysteries being solve, some revealing a little more personal insight into her and the dead HALs relationship. There's also this mechanical button thing with a recording of the dead HAL and her that she shows robot HAL and gives to him, although I never really understood that whole thing very well. I guess it was a button that records? And she just showed him what footage she got?

The ending really spiced this anime up a little but it doesn't erase the fact that 95% of the movie was boring as hell. I mean it was ridiculously boring. The rubix cube thing was cute the first time, but that's practically all he did to 'bond' with her. They really didn't even bond much at all. They hadn't developed their relationship enough for me to even care when I though she was going to die. I would not recommend this anime to anyone, it was super duper boring.

SPOILERS:

This anime had me confused before I got to the end end. Like how the robot was running from the humans. He's a robot, can't he just like thump them and crack their skull? Then I was confused when he was bleeding and drowning. I didn't understand why the robot didn't have like a hero mode or something. You'd think they'd give the robot some useful functions. Or maybe this is just a weak 'therapeutic' model. I was also confused about why HAL's childhood friend randomly decided to steal and sell his longtime girlfriend. I thought that made no sense at all. I also wish they incorporated the friend more into the story, I thought he was cute and could have seasoned the anime a bit, so it wasn't so bland. Once they revealed that HAL was the human and she was the robot, that little fiasco made sense. As far as why HAL was weak/bleeding and why he was trying to steal the girlfriend. I guess that was him trying to help HAL move on and stop relying on the robot her.

athenawolf101's avatar
May 16, 2015

"9.99 on itunes? I'm sold!" is the thought that ran through my head upon looking at this movie. Was it worth it, yes, and even more!

Hal (ハル Haru) is an OVA (I don't really think it's all like a movie, my opinion) about human emotions, lost love, and the unievitable sorrow death brings. Hal is a poor boy, who grew up to meet a very special girl named Kurumi. One day, Hal dies in an airplane when the engine fails. Kurumi's Grandfather then sends his android Q01 to wear Hal's face to comfort Kurumi after this horrific accident. Along with Kurumi slowly letting Hal in, their past is slowly becoming more and more known, and many plot twists occur.

Story wise...this anime deserves a 8 outta 10, due to the lack of detail that I think were missed due to it's length. As I wish there was more detail, it does not detract from it's amazingness ONE. BIT.

Animation wise....10 outta 10, I thought the art was pretty and very pleasing, nothing to complain about here!

Sound wise...I recommend watching the sub, and not so much the dub. (In a way I am a purist, and if you're tired of hearing Todd Habercorn playing every main character, watch sub. LOVE Todd Habercorn, but COME ON Funimation ;) ) Dub is ok, but could be better, but if you want to get the original, sub. Rating sound 7 outta 10 due to the mediocre dub.

Charater wise...More character depth would be nice, but again, does not detract from how good the characters are. I think the lack of total concept of the characters even adds on points rather than subtracting in this case. 9.5 outta 10.

OVERALL: No complaints about this OVA (movie). None whatsover. Amazing movie, worth the money, and it's the kinda movie you'll watch over and over and over again and wonder, "WHYY".  Solid 9 outta 10 overall :)

9.5/10 characters
Sinamuna's avatar
Apr 29, 2020

The first half of the movie was really interesting and absorbing. But the second half of this short film just destroys what cohesiveness the plot had to start with.

I still liked the movie, it was dramatic and had romance elements which are two major plusses in my book. However, the plot twist seemed so forced and stale. Like it was just made up on the spot with little to no thought. There was an attempt made to tie it into the story, but the story was already good without it- so it just sort of made the movie go downhill from there for me.

I think the plot twist was wholly unncessary and ridiculous, almost making it seem like a pitiful over-the-top soap opera of sorts. It ruined the movie's overall impact for me.

Good thing it had nice animation and music, and the dubbed voice acting wasn't bad either. Sadly, I score this below 3 stars because of that damn plot twist.

2.5/10 overall
Doritozu's avatar
Aug 14, 2016

I've cried several times while watching this movie. It was so emotional :'( It was about the importance of realising how valuable our relationships for us are. Actually I am very suprised that this movie is so underrated, It was perfect! It's worth watching.