Hakone-chan - Reviews

Alt title: Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan

sb124's avatar
Jan 18, 2016

This anime was actually enjoyable to watch, the episodes were extremely short so my girlfriend was willing to watch the whole thing with me in the matter of an hour, a break included to get snacks.

If you're looking for something to pass the time while you're on a short flight, or just waiting for something, this is the one for you.

Hakone-Chan is a crazy girl and you can somewhat see her progress as a person (or should I say spirit?), when she gets close to people and shows her true power.

The anime is pretty basic when it comes to animation, but it was extremely adorable and even small children could enjoy this.

Overall, this was a good anime despite the overall rating I give it.

I'd say, if you're looking for something small to watch with limited time, go ahead but if you're looking for something deep with plot, this isn't the one for you.

JVAnimeReviews's avatar
Mar 1, 2016

For a video review, check out my Youtube channel. Link on my profile page.

*So what are my thoughts on this short anime: I must say that I enjoyed Onsen more than the other ones I saw in the past Fall season. I found it to be a lot funnier than lets say Komori-san wa kotowarenai. And there was an actual overall storyline in this short anime being the encounters with the other hot spring spirits Miya, Goura and Ashinoko. Along with that was also the storyline about Hakone trying to retrieve her former spirit powers.

And at the end, for a brief moment, I thought that it would end on a sad note. Just briefly however because it would have been weird that a happy anime like Onsen would end sad.

*But what made me enjoy this short anime the most was the comedy. Hakone who clings on to her reduced spirit powers but at the same time she’s trapped in this body of an elementary school girl. That contrast was the main source of comedy in Onsen and it's a sort that I enjoyed watching.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, as I said this was one of the better short anime's that I saw in the past Fall season and one of the better in general. And that's why I'm going to rate Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan at 3 stars. It was enjoyable to watch. You won’t waste your time by giving it a watch, its’ only 30 minutes long anyway.

cbsgoju's avatar
Jan 16, 2016

Should you watch: Most likely not

Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan is based off an two volume manga. While the total run length is only 30 minutes spread across 12 episodes, it wasn’t that bad. Usually these animes are very episodic, but to my surprise there was actually an overarching story.

STORY: The main character is a girl is a spirit of a hot spring, one of the 7 famous hot springs in the area. Arguably the other man character, Toya, who cleans the well comes into contact with this spirit. With the hope of her being able to grant his wish, he helps her to regain her full power. A interesting story overall, but plays out only mediocrely due to time constraints. I feel that if they had at least double the time that this anime would be in the top 1000.

ANIMATION: only ok/good. Most things are very clean, but definitely lacking in some areas..

SOUND: Decent.

CHARACTERS: There is some character development and a lot of different characters, but nothing out of the ordinary.

OVERALL: I give it a 6.5 (bottom 45%). It’s only 40 minutes so if you want to check it out go ahead, but you are much better off just skipping it an watching a short anime movie.

snorrefolke's avatar
Jan 1, 2016

this anime is kinda wierd. the pacing is way to fast, even for a short anime like this. it's nonetheless a good anime.