Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens - Reviews

Samantha1's avatar
Apr 22, 2018

I dont often write reviews for an anime, but this one deserves it, cause its a really good one. Its about hitmen in the city hakata and their relationships to each other and other people. The recommendation animes "if you watched this anime, you might also like..." are right on the spot with Drrr!, Baccano!and bungou stray dogs. The characters connections are portrayed the same way as in drrr!, which makes them very interesting. The anime is about hitmen, so of course theres alot action and blood included, similar to baccaon! and the feeling it gives is the same as in bungou stray dogs. There is no stupid fanservice shit, so I can guarantee you an interesting and exciting story line.

Ryukami's avatar
Mar 31, 2018

The name of their baseball team.

A story about hired killers, underground world and baseball. Yes, you read right, this show is as much about baseball as it's about Fukuokas underground world.

Nice surprisingly down to earth story, with saddening and anger indusing moments too.

Animation is great, the flow of the 'murder/combat' scenes 's tha top.

Great sound, Jazz is life.

Characters were interesting, wish the supporting cast got a bit more screen time.

Dubfan's avatar
Aug 13, 2020

It was an average anime. Nothing special. The story was comprised of a few short stories. Some are enjoyable others were not. I wish they had made an anime about one of the stories. There is no clear goal for the plot. The initial characters fit a role in the show. Although, most characters have no history or background for their actions in the plot. Is it simply money? Unfortunately, there isn't much character growth in regards to the individual stories. Animation and sound are above average. If you're board, give it a watch.

Panma's avatar
Jul 2, 2018

This series is almost like slice of life but for hitmen. Kind of a weird premise and it almost seems to work. The problem is that it feels like it's a periodical where it's a bunch of unrelated stories and they're trying desperately to tie them all together. And they actually do a relatively good job given the obvious problems.

First the unimportant stuff: animation is good when they choose to animate. There's a rather significant number of action sequences and you can tell they were picking and choosing what was important because we'll go from LOTS 'O ACTION to cut-to-still frames. When they are animating, they do a decent job of it.

Sounds are just okay. Since there's so much action, they reuse a lot of sounds and quite a few don't necessarily match the level of action being animated. Voice actors are pretty good, if not a little on the eclectic side.

Characters are hit or miss. They kind of randomly choose to provide exposition on certain support characters while others (who are included in the opening music sequence even) are completely ignored. I still have no idea who a few of the characters actually are beyond their very brief moments on screen. And, unfortunately, this series left me with more "wtf?" or "why?" moments than answers half the time. An obvious example: one of the main characters has an odd trait that's never explained and the entire series... just kind of rolls with it. Like, does no one ever question the OBVIOUS strangeness here? I know it's supposed to be a fictional modern day Japan, but even the other characters are surprised at first and then never acknowledge it again!

Finally, the most important piece: the story. It's... just okay. As mentioned previously this is almost like Star Trek where we have a few nearly indepedent stories happening in successive order. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to if there's supposed to be some overarcing plot beyond (as I said) just being a slice of life series.

And, my biggest issue with the story, it's super cliched. They introduce backstory that isn't unique with twists that are supposed to be impactful but anyone with half a brain has seen from a mile away. I swear it almost felt like the writers had recently watched a few anime series and just completely ripped off their plots (if you watch any anime, you'll quickly see the obvious resemblances).

With all that said, it's still not a terrible story. It made for a good kind of background watch. Something that was interesting enough that I didn't completely get bored but not so interesting that it completely held my attention either.